The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Diana was in love with the idea of being in love and with the idealised person she thought Charles was.
To be ‘suitable’ she had to change everything about herself and pretend to like things she really didn‘t … which is never going to be a solid foundation.
I think Charles just thought she was suitable and that they could come to an ‘Understanding’ after the requisite Heir and Spare. Just that no one thought to run that by Diana, either

To be fair, that’s not just the upper classes, is it?
Imo you get a mix of behaviour whatever class you're from, cold ruthless behaviour isn't the sole perogative of the upper classes just as kindness and compassion isn't the sole perogative of the lower classes.

Reactions: 8
That is because it is only a small minority who have lived with another monarch in the country. It will be hard to adjust to Charles being King as he has been Prince of Wales for so long.
At least Charles will be King, so there is a differentiation.
The double takes when the newly invested William rocks up as Prince of Wales will be spectacular 😲

My 90+ year old aunt is always very smug about the fact she has lived through the reign of 3 Kings and a Queen.

Reactions: 10
Bit of a sweeping generalisation there. By that logical the ruthless upper classes could call the ordinary people as mawkish, unresilient and ruled by their emotions based on the public reaction to Diana's death
Regarding class, there have been too many accounts by various sources about the apparent self entitlement and out of touchness numerous members of the RF are.

The RF spend a fair amount on PR from tax payers money. I believe there is so much more we don’t know but clearly there is a lot of stuff hidden. Injunctions NDAs etc. Like Harry and Meghan get more abuse than Andrew it appears. I’ve always thought in an agreement with the RF Harry and Meghan left with £££ to be mutilated by the press to disguise andrews doings in the media. It’s clearly working if that’s right.

After the queen there shouldn’t be a place for them poorer and sicker people need and deserve the money more. It’s had it’s day.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Imo you get a mix of behaviour whatever class you're from, cold ruthless behaviour isn't the sole perogative of the upper classes just as kindness and compassion isn't the sole perogative of the lower classes.
And finding it embarrassing when the whole Country is embroiled in folie a deux grief fluffing is universal :cool:

Regarding class, there have been too many accounts by various sources about the apparent self entitlement and out of touchness numerous members of the RF are.

The RF spend a fair amount on PR from tax payers money. I believe there is so much more we don’t know but clearly there is a lot of stuff hidden. Injunctions NDAs etc. Like Harry and Meghan get more abuse than Andrew it appears. I’ve always thought in an agreement with the RF Harry and Meghan left with £££ to be mutilated by the press to disguise andrews doings in the media. It’s clearly working if that’s right.

After the queen there shouldn’t be a place for them poorer and sicker people need and deserve the money more. It’s had it’s day.

They really don't.

The media still have to hold back a bit on Andrew. There is no evidence of any criminal wrong doing at this point and there are very strong libel laws in the UK.

Reactions: 6
They really don't.

The media still have to hold back a bit on Andrew. There is no evidence of any criminal wrong doing at this point and there are very strong libel laws in the UK.
Theyve held back on Andrew yet gone to shreds on that footballer greenwood. Sorry forgotten his name I don’t really know much about football.

Reactions: 9
I wonder how the Diana fanatics will manage when Catherine will be the Princess of Wales?

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Absurd argument. Taxpayers would still have to fund a President, their residence, immediate family and security. Plus Brazil, the USA, South Africa, India, Russia etc all have Presidents and far more poor people than we have and no NHS like we have either. Constitutional monarchies like Japan, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Spain, Jordan, Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands are generally far more prosperous and ironically more equal than the global average

Reactions: 11
Theyve held back on Andrew yet gone to shreds on that footballer greenwood. Sorry forgotten his name I don’t really know much about football.
There are the recordings for starters but the media are just reporting what has happened. He has been suspended by the club. Various team mates have unfollowed on social media. Police have arrested him etc etc. It's just factual. If he is charged with any criminal proceedings it stop overnight.

Facts have been reported about Andrew. The media cannot report anything else.

Reactions: 3
Absurd argument. Taxpayers would still have to fund a President, their residence, immediate family and security. Plus Brazil, the USA, South Africa, India, Russia etc all have Presidents and far more poor people than we have and no NHS like we have either. Constitutional monarchies like Japan, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Spain, Jordan, Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands are generally far more prosperous and ironically more equal than the global average
This is not an argument for or against anything here, but it must be pointed out that correlation does not equal causation.

Germany, Italy, France, Israel, Iceland, South Korea, Switzerland, Finland, Hong Kong and Singapore are all examples of successful, wealthy and high QOL societies that do not have a monarchy. IMO their success and progress has little to do with their monarchical status and more to do with their culture, people, history and other complex socioeconomic factors. By that logic, I would also posit that the success of the monarchies above has little to do with their ruling family and much more to do with...again, culture and other economic and sociological factors which were not influenced by their crowned heads

And I'm pretty sure the NHS did not originate as a result of the BRF nor does its continuation depend on there being a crowned head of state in the UK. Also, the cost of a President in the UK cannot be compared to the US or France where the President is the head of state and the head of government. In countries where the President is simply a figurehead, the costs are much lower and there is also the issue of having to pay security for the President's direct nuclear family and not an extended lot like the BRF (although that has improved in recent years).

Reactions: 5
This is not an argument for or against anything here, but it must be pointed out that correlation does not equal causation.

Germany, Italy, France, Israel, Iceland, South Korea, Switzerland, Finland, Hong Kong and Singapore are all examples of successful, wealthy and high QOL societies that do not have a monarchy. IMO their success and progress has little to do with their monarchical status and more to do with their culture, people, history and other complex socioeconomic factors. By that logic, I would also posit that the success of the monarchies above has little to do with their ruling family and much more to do with...again, culture and other economic and sociological factors which were not influenced by their crowned heads

And I'm pretty sure the NHS did not originate as a result of the BRF nor does its continuation depend on there being a crowned head of state in the UK. Also, the cost of a President in the UK cannot be compared to the US or France where the President is the head of state and the head of government. In countries where the President is simply a figurehead, the costs are much lower and there is also the issue of having to pay security for the President's direct nuclear family and not an extended lot like the BRF (although that has improved in recent years).
A pure figurehead HoS is not necessarily cheaper compared to a head of government HoS. It can be the case. A elected HoS will be out of job at one point. In many cases they receive money for security and often a small office and some staff for the rest of their life. Not to forget an amazing pension for a couple of years work. So changing them every 5-10 years still works up a pretty high numbers of people you have to pay for. It’s just a little not so well known fact. Again not true everywhere, but in the end a monarchy is not more expensive than an elected HoS in general. There are good arguments for both models, but money just doesn’t cut it.
I have yet to see the country where money was freed up for worthwhile causes or saved in the individual purse after a monarchy was abolished.

Why do people assume it’s a snub if you don’t put something on social media? Perhaps they did their congratulations privately to the woman herself. But I suppose any opportunity to drag Harry and Megan can’t be allowed pass unmentioned 🙄

Reactions: 15
Why do people assume it’s a snub if you don’t put something on social media? Perhaps they did their congratulations privately to the woman herself. But I suppose any opportunity to drag Harry and Megan can’t be allowed pass unmentioned 🙄
I agree. If I care enough about someone, I will speak to them in person. For me, it's all the casual acquaintances/former colleagues/ex-schoolmates who get the social media platitudes.

Also, most of the top royal social media accounts are run by staff rather than the royals themselves, surely?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Very true. The thing is- H&M always feel the need to either put something on their Archwell account or have Scoobie announce they had a private call to congratulate the second they are questioned/criticised like that. W&K haven’t put something up as well. But they also don’t fall into activism when people call them out.
My guess is they all did congratulate one way or the other. Be it a call or a card.

But you can also argue that Switzerland, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Austria and Germany which all rank above the U.K. on the prosperity index (https://www.prosperity.com/rankings) don’t have Royalty and are doing very well without them.
However name the Presidents of any of those countries? The Queen has global brand recognition. The richest country in the world per head is Monaco which has a constitutional monarch too

Reactions: 3
Did W and K congratulate TQ yesterday? I haven't seen anything.

The Daily Mail mentioned that M and H didn't.
They retweeted a couple of things from the RF account but that was it I think.

I think the DM are just having a dig re The Sussex's as per though H&M are so vocal about so many things, it's a surprise. They managed to comment on Joe Rogan 😄

Reactions: 1
K&W aren’t supposed to be feuding with TQ I suppose is the only difference so it doesn’t seem like a snub from them if they don’t mention anything. H&M are so quick to jump to their own defence in terms of BRF contact that it seems unusual when they don’t mention it at all.

another time staying silent on a regular basis comes in handy. You don’t need to defend everything.

Reactions: 4
Meghan winning the legal case against the Daily Mail has likely set them up to be ripped apart by the DM for the rest of eternity just because the DM feel like it and they can. If they had said something it would have probably been picked apart as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.