Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Boring Monday

VIP Member
I love the story of the gossip that went round about William IV & III when he was Duke of Clarence and living with the actress Dorothea Jordan. They had ten children together, the FitzClarences who all married into the gentry and aristocracy, but as the Duke was perpetually skint and Mrs Jordan never stopped working, people said that it wasn't a question of her being a kept woman as his mistress but that she was keeping him!

Queen Adelaide was apparently very kind to the children, particularly as she had lost two children in infancy and had three stillborn.
I remember seeing a picture of Queen Charlotte (wife of George III) and thinking from the picture she did look like Princess Anne.
or vice versa 😊

• Haha
Reactions: 2

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Hi there
Sorry, I was being sarcastic re the Beckham mention but I just don’t think these particular shots were very good. I think they fall between two stools, so to speak. Yes definitely aiming for ethereal and magical but maybe it’s the actual angle of the head? I don’t know, just not my cup of tea.
I get what you mean! It’s all a bit disjointed. I only like one of them, the others can go!

They have keyed red in this photo. Means that they are 'pushing' the red through more than other colours. It will create a washed out effect, as its essentially another version of Black & White and Sepia.
That’s cool, I didn’t know about this technique! Wish they had some red on her lips because it looks a bit washed out for me.

I think Victoria is just the more famous image tbh. I haven’t seen those QM photos before,
I’m interested in Royalty and I haven’t seen some of those photos before!

BigMavis

VIP Member
I suspect if and when the time comes for concern over The Queens health the media will be all over it. Remember the waiting around last year when Prince Philip was ill. These threads went crazy for weeks.

Dollenganger

VIP Member
Savile is really a bad example. Because by that proxy almost all people knew something and didn’t care or were actually involved. Being at the same events or having one of those business relationships where you golf together or meet for a formal dinners once in a while is not exactly proof someone was in on it. I will say though, that I am pretty sure many suspect their acquaintance is a bit suspicious and rather choose to ignore it, shut down eyes and ears, try very actively not to come to a position of knowledge. So they can claim they had no idea whatsoever. But that goes for the RF as much as for all the high profile people that meet someone like this regular at events and in business contexts.

I am very conflicted about the settlement to be honest. VG never had good chances in court if you look at the hard evidence. Her best chance was Andrew making a fool of himself in court again. She claimed she wasn’t in it for money it but to restore her reputation. It was not her first rodeo in this story, so she knew what court would entail. The questioning, the smear campaign and so forth. I wouldn’t fault her for going into it with open eyes and good intentions only to realise it’s too hard and taking the money instead. I mean, I would have definitely have taken the money for sure. It still leaves a bitter aftertaste, especially as he doesn’t admit to any wrong doings (apart from basically repeating his stupid sob story of top honourable to drop the convicted peadophile) in their statement and she acted kind of a martyr for pursuing him anyway prior.
Andrew on the other hand definitely reached a point (by his own actions) were he was deemed guilty before anything went hot in court. He had good chances but even a win would have not helped his reputation. It would have just been written off as a wealthy man getting away with it again. There was really nothing to win for him. So a settlement to just make it stop was a wise decision.
I am not sure if the settlement was paid for by mummy. She might have. I think the whole RF would be in favour just to make sure all of it disappears and Andrew doesn’t open his mouth in court. But for all his claims about his financial situation, I am absolutely convinced Andrew could come up with quite a massive sum if he really has to. Maybe liquidate some assets. They are all loaded. Heck, Harry got a 10mil inheritance from his mother. That means the same amount for Wiliam. How did Diana accumulate that amount of money (and this usnot including other assets)? Andrew had some more decades so his investments probably generate thousands by the second. They also make a shit ton of money through private investments, privately owned properties they rent out, business schemes they run or are silently involved in.

Now, the whole thing will be forever unresolved though. The ones that are firmly pro VG will say he settled because he is guilty. The ones that are anti VG will say she was always just lying and used the idiot as a cash cow. (I don’t think a significant number is actually pro Andrew. Most despise him for various reasons and rather see him from behind.)
It will be interesting if he (and the RF) try to reintroduced him to the public. I really hope their advisors have realised it will be impossible. He just has too many skeletons in the closet (one being his title riding ex). I think if we ever see him on a balcony again, it will be far far in the back. I just hope he never opens his mouth again and disappears. Maybe starts beekeeping in the grounds of royal lodge or Aquarell painting.

I very much doubt this. As if and how would we know about it. And if true, the outcome is just what you would expect. But how are the chances? It’s not as if they were actually close confidants (the real inner circles are all pretty public shy and stay silent). The RF, just as many political and other high profile people have tons of acquaintances and are dancing on the fine line of shielding their private life while also giving those people the feeling of being in with them. It’s actually quite fascinating. Just like inviting the PM on your holiday is no sign you actually personally like them or have any real private relationship with them. Same with those big shooting parties. It’s a minefield of social cues and rules and the royals most definitely are masters in this.
But the Royals and Savile were not business contacts, they had a close personal friendship with him lol

thegirlscout

VIP Member
It's also the way this is lit. Look at where the shadows fall on her face. It's not just Photoshop. The light blows out a lot.
Yes I agree, the lightening feels off. Maybe a deeper or more pigmented lip colour would have been better for that type of shot?
The photos are by Paolo Roversi and the coloured image I would say isn’t his usual style. The first one where she’s looking to the left is, but the other two are a bit off.

FrostyChops

VIP Member
Apparently they wanted to visit here after seeing it on the TV.

I have difficulty seeing PW as anything other than a spoiled brat after the Christmas story of not wanting to watch a particular film with the staff, making them change it then buggering off to shoot instead at the last minute.

Blurp

VIP Member
The Queen Dowager is literally ‘just’ the widow of the King.
I think when The Queen came to the throne, then Queen Mary stepped from being Queen Mother to Queen Dowager, her mother became the Queen Mother and then herself as The Queen.
(I don’t think it actually matters if the Queen Mother is actually mother to the King? They are the Queen and the Mother regardless of the gender of the monarch?)
The Queen Dowager is simply a widowed Queen Consort. A Queen Mother is the mother of the monarch. I think historically it has also been used for women who weren't actually Queen Consort themselves, ie as the King's Mother. Queen Adelaide would have been the last Queen Dowager who was not also the mother of the new monarch.

SavetheDrama

VIP Member
Someone told me the other day that if Charles refuses the throne it would actually then go to Andrew 😬🤦🏼‍♀️ There is NO way Charles would let that happen
But Charles has a heir - I thought the throne went to the Queen’s father because Edward had no children, right?
I’m sorry I’m awful with names.

Great_Kate

VIP Member
I thought he'd 'found' found over 6 million from somewhere to pay off a debt which allowed him to sell it.
Even if not- he most definitely could “find” some millions if he really wanted to. Their private wealth might be mostly tied up in investments and property/stuff but I am pretty sure they are all able to liquidise some millions if they have to.

It’s his safety net in case he’s not invited to the jubilee.
He’ll say it’s due to “security risks” not that his absence is because he’s not wanted.
I’ll give the Royal Family their due - I fell for the happy chappy Prince PR that they put out there when he was younger so it was a job well done.
Now he is no longer under their wing I see him for the sullen, selfish, totally lacking in self awareness person that he has, most likely, always been.
I recently saw a clip on YouTube - Prince Harry was at the Royal Variety and got roasted. He laughed and seemed amused:

To me it seems authentic?

A couple of years later, with Meghan, he comes across as more reserved:

Boring Monday

VIP Member
I agree with your sentiment, however from watching QI, the inquisition was actually quite ok.

1) No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition The inquisition sent you a letter with the allegation and you had 30 days to come up with a reply.

2) If you had prior disagreement with your accuser they just went away.

3) If people had a choice between trial by the King, or the Inquisition - people chose the inquisition

4) If you were tortured you were only tortured for 15 minutes under the supervision of a doctor. That puts the stories of waterboarding by the CIA into context.

did they put them in a comfy chair?

• Haha

Boring Monday

VIP Member
Sorry l meant the extra bank holiday - maybe they could get the coronation in that quick. George's coronation was meant to be Edwards.
they usually leave it over a while before the coronation … George VI may have stepped into Edward’s Coronation date, but it was still was still about 6 months’ after The Old King died. Elizabeth had 16 months before hers. I imagine they would want to avoid a coronation in what was jubilee year?

I find it fascinating as well....the whole family tree...does anyone recommend any good books on the subject?
I enjoyed this one

Amazon product

BonBon27

VIP Member
And William isn't sideways succession anyway - he is direct line of succession … Andrew is actually the sideways succession.
not sure how many faults that actually is :cool:
That’s what I meant - parliament could vote for sideways succession which would put Andrew first. But they have no need to do that when William is ready and waiting! Charles will have his turn anyway, although I doubt it will be a long one!