The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Victoria is just the more famous image tbh. I haven’t seen those QM photos before,

Reactions: 1
View attachment 975941This one I really like - it’s giving me turn of the century vibes. I think it’s rather lovely.

View attachment 975944
This however is giving me 80s prom photo vibes and the soft filtering around the edges here looks quite dated. Not at all a fan.

View attachment 975945
I like that they have one in colour, however her face looks a bit…off? A bit one dimensional, I wonder if that’s due to the photoshopping and smoothing of her lines.
They have keyed red in this photo. Means that they are 'pushing' the red through more than other colours. It will create a washed out effect, as its essentially another version of Black & White and Sepia.

Reactions: 2
Here is the Princess Margaret shots that the Queen Mother oversaw, but that the Princess hated.
I can see why she hated them. As a wild child and a party girl.... yeah.. doesn't really represent her! As a future queen however, they're perfect, but that's not what Margaret was. Kate will be the Queen, so therefore trying to look like the Queen Mother, who was pretty much universally loved (from what I know), make a heck of a lot of sense.

Reactions: 6
The photographer is Paolo Roversi and usually I like his work. It’s quite ethereal with a turn of the century vibe and sometimes haunting. Definitely get the Cottingley Fairies references. I just don’t think his work has translated well in the red dress and the portrait photo, it’s almost like two different photographers worked on this shoot or they didn’t want it to be too ‘fashion’ or ‘art’ (which is what he is known for) so they dialled it down which seems a silly choice to make.
Here is some of his other work:
View attachment 976565
Hi there
Sorry, I was being sarcastic re the Beckham mention but I just don’t think these particular shots were very good. I think they fall between two stools, so to speak. Yes definitely aiming for ethereal and magical but maybe it’s the actual angle of the head? I don’t know, just not my cup of tea.

Reactions: 1
The photos are all over the place so I came for a looksee on what people made of them - given I thought they were odd. Ok I do hope?

Reactions: 3
Hi there
Sorry, I was being sarcastic re the Beckham mention but I just don’t think these particular shots were very good. I think they fall between two stools, so to speak. Yes definitely aiming for ethereal and magical but maybe it’s the actual angle of the head? I don’t know, just not my cup of tea.
I get what you mean! It’s all a bit disjointed. I only like one of them, the others can go!

They have keyed red in this photo. Means that they are 'pushing' the red through more than other colours. It will create a washed out effect, as its essentially another version of Black & White and Sepia.
That’s cool, I didn’t know about this technique! Wish they had some red on her lips because it looks a bit washed out for me.

I think Victoria is just the more famous image tbh. I haven’t seen those QM photos before,
I’m interested in Royalty and I haven’t seen some of those photos before!

I just think it’s weird that we hear so much PR spin about William wanting to “modernise the Royal Family” but then they release these photos that look as if they could’ve been taken in 1922.

What normal person under the age of 50 who is indifferent or apathetic towards the royals is going to look at these and think “How cool! I am now a fully paid-up royalist!”

They aren’t just out of touch with ordinary people, they are out of touch with anything related to fashion or pop culture from the Swinging 60s revolution onwards.

Tragic.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Funny how people are saying queen Victoria, although I see it, to me its classic Queen Mother
Looked up these photos and apparently the QM was inspired by Princess Olga of Yugoslavia. I can see the similarities between his photos.
18F29356-8CE0-4E27-8D5B-AF4B3C28ADE9.jpeg
4D478D2B-BAEE-4DB9-9942-71ED42A92AC5.jpeg

I really love this dress the QM is wearing - wonder what happened to it!
67DA010F-4072-4D9A-9580-AE5B91115950.jpeg

What normal person under the age of 50 who is indifferent or apathetic towards the royals is going to look at these and think “How cool! I am now a fully paid-up royalist!”
I don’t think that would be possible whatever photographer or style they went for, I don’t think that’s the aim of these images.
i always find it amusing when William or Charles mention modernising the Monarchy because Royalty and Monarchy are archaic by their very nature.

Reactions: 5
That’s cool, I didn’t know about this technique! Wish they had some red on her lips because it looks a bit washed out for me.
Same here! A red lip and maybe some garnet earrings would look fantastic, bringing the colour up to her face! (this effect looks incredible with red heads)

Same here! A red lip and maybe some garnet earrings would look fantastic, bringing the colour up to her face! (this effect looks incredible with red heads)
Oooo I love the idea for garnet earrings.

(or even a garnet tiara. there is no getting away from the fact they are royalty so let us see the good stuff!)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Reposting this here as well as on the Markle thread given similar conversations are happening on both.

Personally I love the photos, I stopped in my tracks when I saw the profile shot on IG, the delicate way the ribbon runs through her hand with the ring so bold against the white. Just beautifully done. However I do understand why some people are not into the style with most people in the general public favouring the current highly saturated and over sharpened trend in celebrity photography right now. This set will sit with and compliment the other Royal portraits back many generations and will need to remain timeless, so a different end goal called for a different style.

I think the thing most people are thrown by is how Catherine looks compared to how we usually see her. It’s rare to get a front facing photo with her looking into the lens, even rarer a beaming front on smile close up. When you only ever see someone in profile suddenly been confronted with a different angle can be jarring. We’ve all seen a similar thing with influences who work their angles on Insta but suddenly look like different people in pictures taken by others at different angles.

Her hair is also set differently which can very much change the appearance of a persons face. In these her usual just off center parting is completely swept back with no part visible at all. This also removes the usual face framing hair making her face shape and forehead appear larger than usual. The use of her natural curls rather than heat set ones can feel a bit 80s like in her recent appearance in the green reworn gown. The 80s are seen as a very dated out of style period right now so I get why people don‘t like them but personally I would never shame a woman for wearing her natural curls. I think its great she‘s starting to embrace them more.

Again totally biased as I already love this type of style but just my take on elements that might be contributing to some peoples negative take. For me the only thing missing was a tiara shot given they’re official portraits to go alongside all the other royals in their gowns and jewels, but I’m hopeful with William‘s 40th also this year that they did a couple shot at the same time in full bling to release at years end 🤞🏻

Ok but nobody “shamed” her here.

Reactions: 7
Oooo I love the idea for garnet earrings.

(or even a garnet tiara. there is no getting away from the fact they are royalty so let us see the good stuff!)
I get the whole 'we must be relatable to the people' but let's be honest, if any of us were in the same royal position with the opportunity to wear the diamonds and sparkle, we'd never take them off!

Reactions: 3
but personally I would never shame a woman for wearing her natural curls. I think its great she‘s starting to embrace them more.
I hate to break it to but the hair here is heavily styled. Her natural hair isn’t that uniformed in its waviness.

Reactions: 8
Again totally biased as I already love this type of style but just my take on elements that might be contributing to some peoples negative take. For me the only thing missing was a tiara shot given they’re official portraits to go alongside all the other royals in their gowns and jewels, but I’m hopeful with William‘s 40th also this year that they did a couple shot at the same time in full bling to release at years end 🤞🏻
I wonder with the tiaras if they don’t want to do too much jewels because there’s still Charles and Camilla to go. There was a lot of H&M are trying to steal the spotlight articles, maybe W&K are trying to avoid those by looking too King & Queen too early. I would love to see it though, and a new tiara that isn’t the lovers knot.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.