The Moscow/Idaho Murders #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Defense in Bryan Kohberger's Murder Trial Barred from Conducting "Surveys" of Potential Jurors

Defense attorney Anne Taylor says her team was collecting data while polling potential jurors in Latah County and did not disclose any concealed information about the case.

By Elisabeth Ford Mar 29, 2024, 4:58 PM ET

Attorneys of accused murderer Bryan Kohberger are arguing a violation of their client’s due process rights after a Latah County judge barred them from speaking with potential jurors before the trial.

On Tuesday, defense attorney Anne Taylor — who is representing Kohberger, 29, in the quadruple homicide case — filed a motion to rescind District Court Judge John Judge’s ban to cease all communication between the defense or prosecution and potential jurors.

"On March 22, 2024, late on a Friday afternoon the State filed its Motion to Prevent Contact with Potential Jurors. The motion included attachments. The late Friday afternoon filing was a strategic action by the state," Taylor wrote in the filing, per Newsweek.

The attorney further explained that the defense was in the middle of conducting surveys of possible jurors, a process they had notified the prosecution about. The defense argued that the order violated Kohberger’s rights to due process because the order came before a hearing could be held about the issue.

Prosecuting Attorney Bill Thompson requested the judge’s order in a motion filed under seal. On March 22, Judge wrote in a short order made public Monday that "both parties are prohibited from contacting potential jurors about this case, including via third parties, until further order of this Court,” per Fox News Digital. “A hearing on this issue will be held as soon as practicable."

Defense Wants a Change of Venue

gettyimages-1258565798.jpg

The juror surveys in dispute are likely part of an effort to prepare for a change-of-venue hearing, New Jersey-based defense attorney and former prosecutor David Gelman told Fox News Digital. Kohberger’s attorneys filed a motion for a change of venue earlier this year, arguing that the small community of Latah County will hold bias against the suspected murder, infringing on his right to a fair and impartial trial.

"In order to gather sufficient evidence to support their application, the defense retained an expert who ‘sampled’ the potential juror pool to assess potential bias in Latah County," Gelman told the news outlet. "This was done by way of a telephone survey of 400 residents."

The prosecution took issue with the questions, which have not been made public, and accused the defense of violating a sealed court order relating to the survey, claiming they discussed specifics of the case with the public and disclosed information that would be inadmissible during trial.

Taylor rebutted the prosecutor’s accusation, saying: "The defense is asking prospective jurors in the county of Latah as to what information they are aware of that was previously ‘disclosed’ vis-a-vis the press," per Fox News Digital.

Gelman told the outlet that there are a couple of things that “favor” the defense

"First, the surveys do indeed appear to be about gathering information as opposed to disseminating information,” he said. “Second, even if the motion to change venue were denied, any potential adverse impact upon the juror pool because of the survey will be not only negligible due to the small number of jurors contacted, but also addressable via voir dire."

The defense’s inquiry in a change of venue is motivated by the fact that Latah County is where the murders of University of Idaho students Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Madison Mogen, 21, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Ethan Chapin, 20, took place. Each were found fatally stabbed in the off-campus home in Moscow, Idaho on November 13, 2022. Kohberger — a former Ph.D. criminology student at Washington State University — is charged with four counts of murder and one count of burglary.

Thompson has argued that the case has already received global attention in the media and a change in venue would be redundant, per Fox News Digital.

The trial for the quadruple slaying has not yet been scheduled as Kohberger waived his right to a speedy trial in August 2023.

Reactions: 4
Defense in Bryan Kohberger's Murder Trial Barred from Conducting "Surveys" of Potential Jurors

Defense attorney Anne Taylor says her team was collecting data while polling potential jurors in Latah County and did not disclose any concealed information about the case.

By Elisabeth Ford Mar 29, 2024, 4:58 PM ET

Attorneys of accused murderer Bryan Kohberger are arguing a violation of their client’s due process rights after a Latah County judge barred them from speaking with potential jurors before the trial.

On Tuesday, defense attorney Anne Taylor — who is representing Kohberger, 29, in the quadruple homicide case — filed a motion to rescind District Court Judge John Judge’s ban to cease all communication between the defense or prosecution and potential jurors.

"On March 22, 2024, late on a Friday afternoon the State filed its Motion to Prevent Contact with Potential Jurors. The motion included attachments. The late Friday afternoon filing was a strategic action by the state," Taylor wrote in the filing, per Newsweek.

The attorney further explained that the defense was in the middle of conducting surveys of possible jurors, a process they had notified the prosecution about. The defense argued that the order violated Kohberger’s rights to due process because the order came before a hearing could be held about the issue.

Prosecuting Attorney Bill Thompson requested the judge’s order in a motion filed under seal. On March 22, Judge wrote in a short order made public Monday that "both parties are prohibited from contacting potential jurors about this case, including via third parties, until further order of this Court,” per Fox News Digital. “A hearing on this issue will be held as soon as practicable."

Defense Wants a Change of Venue

View attachment 2846652

The juror surveys in dispute are likely part of an effort to prepare for a change-of-venue hearing, New Jersey-based defense attorney and former prosecutor David Gelman told Fox News Digital. Kohberger’s attorneys filed a motion for a change of venue earlier this year, arguing that the small community of Latah County will hold bias against the suspected murder, infringing on his right to a fair and impartial trial.

"In order to gather sufficient evidence to support their application, the defense retained an expert who ‘sampled’ the potential juror pool to assess potential bias in Latah County," Gelman told the news outlet. "This was done by way of a telephone survey of 400 residents."

The prosecution took issue with the questions, which have not been made public, and accused the defense of violating a sealed court order relating to the survey, claiming they discussed specifics of the case with the public and disclosed information that would be inadmissible during trial.

Taylor rebutted the prosecutor’s accusation, saying: "The defense is asking prospective jurors in the county of Latah as to what information they are aware of that was previously ‘disclosed’ vis-a-vis the press," per Fox News Digital.

Gelman told the outlet that there are a couple of things that “favor” the defense

"First, the surveys do indeed appear to be about gathering information as opposed to disseminating information,” he said. “Second, even if the motion to change venue were denied, any potential adverse impact upon the juror pool because of the survey will be not only negligible due to the small number of jurors contacted, but also addressable via voir dire."

The defense’s inquiry in a change of venue is motivated by the fact that Latah County is where the murders of University of Idaho students Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Madison Mogen, 21, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Ethan Chapin, 20, took place. Each were found fatally stabbed in the off-campus home in Moscow, Idaho on November 13, 2022. Kohberger — a former Ph.D. criminology student at Washington State University — is charged with four counts of murder and one count of burglary.

Thompson has argued that the case has already received global attention in the media and a change in venue would be redundant, per Fox News Digital.

The trial for the quadruple slaying has not yet been scheduled as Kohberger waived his right to a speedy trial in August 2023.
I think he’s guilty but I also agree with Defence in that I think a jury pool from Latah County is a biased sample.

Reactions: 6
I think he’s guilty but I also agree with Defence in that I think a jury pool from Latah County is a biased sample.
I agree

and The largest employer in the Latah County is University of Idaho and I think that based how U of I inserted themselves into the Investigation from the very beginning based on what President of U of I Scott Green wrote in his recent book. If I was a defense attorney I wouldn't want any of them on the jury.

Reactions: 7
Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 11.15.54 PM.png

there are several new documents filed in this case and Anne Taylor is pushing back and she isn't being nice anymore and she has also asked that the third party that conducted the survey be able to attend the hearing on 4/4/2024 so they he can share why the defense was having him do the survey. But It's wild that two of the people that were surveyed called Bill Thompson the DA and the DA transferred those two calls to Officer Payne and after Officer Payne conducted an investigation. Then Bill Thompson reached out to the Judge who quickly issued an order. Someone online pointed out that it was really interesting that one of the two people the reported this survey to Bill Thompson recorded the survey and another thing that was pointed out that these two people didn't mention it on social media but to Bill Thomson instead.

Filed by the defense
REPLY IN SUPPORT OF MOTION TO RESCIND ORDER FOR FAILURE TO PROVIDE DUE PROCESS

Reactions: 1
love everyone’s knowledge and wish I could understand it as-well as yous but would someone mind explaining in simple terms what is going on 🤦🏼‍♀️ is he innocent? Did the police officers do something wrong? Why is it actually taking so long since they arrested him not long after the murders

Reactions: 17
If anyone is looking for a short explanation about the back and forth between the prosecution and the defense (filed a document to Rescind order to stop contacting prospective jurors) over the defense having Latah County prospective jurors being surveyed by a lawyer go to 1 minute and 2 seconds time stamp.

Reactions: 6
Just FYI Crime Talk is a defense attorney that thinks that BK is guilty. It was surprised by his opinion about this survey situation.

I wonder what Crime Talk thinks of the last hearing. I'm curious. Hopefully he will talk about it soon.

Good Crime Talk did discussed the last hearing if anyone is interested in hearing it.

10:51 is the timestamp

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2024-04-08 at 9.50.00 AM.png

FYI there is a hearing on April 10, 2024 at 4 pm Pacific Time

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
So the Hearing for the change of Venue is going to be pushed out by two weeks so that good.

Im from scotland so forgive my ignorance but would it not be beneficial for the prosecution to just allow the trial to take place elsewhere? What makes them so keen to keep the chosen venue?

why is that good? was it going to clash with something?
it's good because she gets more time to collect information and prepare for her change of venue request. because the judge issued that order that stopped the survey from being conducted during this time since he issued the order.

ORDER PROHIBITING CONTACT WITH PROSPECTIVE JURORS UNTIL FURTHER ORDER OF COURT

I have a feeling that the judge is going to deny her request because he has already said that you ( the defense ) can make an interesting argument for it but he's words was ( I could just deny it) and it's all on the court record too. 🤨 He hasn't even heard the defense's argument yet.

Im from scotland so forgive my ignorance but would it not be beneficial for the prosecution to just allow the trial to take place elsewhere? What makes them so keen to keep the chosen venue?
I think that they just want to keep the case in Latah County because it's cheaper and also it would bring revenue into the city when the trial taking place. But the problem with this is Moscow Idaho is really small town and there isn't a lot of hotels in the area and in the surrounding area either. Also the judge has already stated that he doesn't want to have to travel to another county miles away. I'm hoping that the judge does the right thing and grants the change of venue when the hearing happened sometime in May 2024. I think that it's best that it's moved to Boise Idaho, it's a larger town and there are more hotels available and there are more restaurants to handle the number of people coming to the trial like the reporters. Also there is more security at the court house too and also more parking. I mentioned parking since Bill Thompson mentioned the parking situation as to why they want the trial during the summer. I think that moving the trial to Boise Idaho opens up the Spring and the Fall time frames for a trial instead of just being locked into just the summer time. I think that moving the trial to Boise Idaho would help with getting people that haven't already made their mind up about this case and so that both the prosecution and the defense can find jurors that they both can agree on.

The main benefit the prosecution has to trying to keep this case in Latah County is look at what happened with the survey situation they had at ltwo people different people reach out to the prosecution not the defense. Also one of them even recorded the phone call. I don't know what the rules are for recording phone calls in Idaho but it's still interesting that it was done in the first place. So that tells me that they are on the prosecution's side and they probably think that the suspect is guilty. So also most of the people in Latah County work for U of I. I don't think that anyone that works for U of I should be allowed to be on the jury based on what the President of U of I wrote in his recent book about this Idaho 4 case. Also back in 2022 there was a situation where President Biden called out U of I about a email that was sent out to all of the employees about how to handle things if students asked them where can they get free birth control bills.

President Biden calls out University of Idaho in task force meeting
  • Jay Worlton Producer, KHQ Local News

• Oct 4, 2022
  • WASHINGTON - President Biden called out the University of Idaho in a meeting of his Reproductive Healthcare Access task force... less than a week after the university told employees to remain neutral on the topic of birth control.
    President Biden urged the University of Idaho to keep distributing contraception despite the memo that also brings into question if distributing contraception through the school is legal under Idaho state law.

At one point, Biden told the task force:

"Officials at the University of Idaho say they should stop providing contraception … In fact, they told the university staff that they could get in trouble just for talking or telling students about where they can get birth control,” Biden said at the meeting.

“Folks, what century are we in? I mean, what are we doing? I respect everyone’s view on this, the personal decisions they make, but my Lord, we’re talking about contraception here,” the president went on to say.

“It shouldn’t be that controversial. But this is what it looks like when you start to take away the right of privacy,” Biden said.

Right now, the state of Idaho is set to make it's case on the abortion law to the Idaho Supreme Court on Thursday.

this is how U of I is, they like to try to control various things.

Last edited:
okay part 2, I was in a live stream and someone asked why does the prosecution want to keep this trial in Latah County.

trigger warning unpopular comment

someone said that is because the prosecution and the judge know that they will be able to get a quick guilty verdict in Latah County. which was interesting to me but I could see that happening due to the fact that one person recorded the survey phone call and turned it over to the prosecution and another person called the prosecution about the survey phone call. But neither one of those people reached out to the defense.

I was surprised that the hearing lasted for about 2 and half hrs. The Expert for the defense did a really good job.

Bill Thompson the prosecutor did confirmed that BK didn't stalk any of the victims. The judge knew it, the defense knew it the prosecutor knew it and the survey expert knew it. But the main stream media just kept on reporting it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I was surprised that the hearing lasted for about 2 and half hrs. The Expert for the defense did a really good job.

Bill Thompson the prosecutor did confirmed that BK didn't stalk any of the victims. The judge knew it, the defense knew it the prosecutor knew it and the survey expert knew it. But the main stream media just kept on reporting it.
I wonder if it was the house that he was interested in. It was so accessible and solo standing.

I wonder if it was the house that he was interested in. It was so accessible and solo standing.
that house isn't solo standing there, just look at these photos from when The Interview Room drove by the house back in 2022.

at the red arrow is the house
Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 10.14.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 10.12.03 AM.png

also on the right out of the photo is the house too, on the right in the photo is Queen Rd Apartments.
---
also because that house was built into the curve, the sounds from the house echo in the area which was mentioned by some LE's In the area during a noise complaint body cam footage.
---
here the prosecutor Bill explains why he doesn't want to move the trial outside the county.
Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 11.02.21 AM.png

Last edited: