The Moscow/Idaho Murders #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
that house isn't solo standing there, just look at these photos from when The Interview Room drove by the house back in 2022.

at the red arrow is the house
View attachment 2869295
View attachment 2869287
also on the right out of the photo is the house too, on the right in the photo is Queen Rd Apartments.
---

also because that house was built into the curve, the sounds from the house echo in the area which was mentioned by some LE's In the area during a noise complaint body cam footage.
---

here the prosecutor Bill explains why he doesn't want to move the trial outside the county.
View attachment 2869388
I just mean that you have 360 access and vision of that house, should you want it. You could park behind, in front, anywhere.

Reactions: 3
I ran across this article that came out in Feb 2023 and I thought I would share it since there has been two hearings about the survey to prepare for the change of venue request. It's interesting that Bill Thompson gave an interview to this newspaper just two days before the defendant was arrested and he talked about how he thinks that trial will be able to stay in Latah County and look where we are now in April 2024.

Would Bryan Kohberger’s murder trial stay in Latah County? What the experts say

BY ANGELA PALERMO
UPDATED FEBRUARY 18, 2023 8:31 AM

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article272187983.html#storylink=cpy

Bryan Kohberger won’t be seen in court again until June. Even after that appearance, a preliminary hearing at the Latah County Courthouse, it will be longer before a potential jury trial may form.

The 28-year-old is accused of stabbing four University of Idaho students to death at an off-campus home in November.

At the hearing June 26, the prosecuting attorney is tasked with presenting evidence that shows there is probable cause to believe Kohberger committed the crimes.

Kohberger faces four counts of felony first-degree murder and a felony burglary charge in the Nov. 13 attack that took the lives of Madison Mogen, 21, of Coeur d’Alene; Kaylee Goncalves, 21, of Rathdrum; Xana Kernodle, 20, of Post Falls; and Ethan Chapin, 20, of Mount Vernon, Washington.

If he pleads not guilty, the court will set a trial date. A few critical questions loom, including whether the trial would be moved to a different county.

Either party, the prosecution or the defense, could file a motion for a change of venue. If granted, the change would transfer the trial to a county away from Moscow, the roughly 26,000-population college town in North Idaho that’s drawn unrelenting attention from national news outlets and true crime enthusiasts in the months since the four students’ deaths.

WHY MOVE THE TRIAL?

There are several arguments to be made for changing the venue, but chief among them is the effect of pretrial publicity on potential jurors, according to Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake.

In early 2021, Blake took over the prosecution of a high-profile criminal case against Lori Vallow Daybell and Chad Daybell, who are charged with multiple counts of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the deaths of two of Lori’s children and Chad Daybell’s first wife, Tammy Daybell.

Chad Daybell’s lawyer requested a change of venue for the trial, arguing that substantial media attention would affect the court’s ability to find a fair and unbiased jury in Fremont County in East Idaho. A judge granted the request, moving the trial to the Ada County Courthouse in Boise. While the case is still under Fremont County’s jurisdiction, the jurors will be from Ada County.

The decision to move a trial is up to the judge, Blake said. Most often, she added, it’s at the request of the defense, not the prosecution.

“Each case is decided on an individual basis,” Blake told the Idaho Statesman by phone. “But a lot of the time, they’re looking at pretrial publicity. They feel they could get a more impartial jury.”

The Idaho Supreme Court says a judge may change the location of a trial if there is reason to believe an impartial trial can’t be held in the county where the case is filed, or if the convenience of witnesses and the ends of justice would be promoted by the change.

COULD AN IMPARTIAL JURY BE FOUND IN MOSCOW?

On Dec. 28, two days before Kohberger’s arrest, the Statesman interviewed Latah County Prosecuting Attorney Bill Thompson at his office in Moscow. When asked whether he thought an unbiased jury could be found in Latah County, should the case come to trial, he seemed optimistic.

“I don’t see why we wouldn’t, as long as there’s not irresponsible dissemination of information,” Thompson said.

At the time, few details about the investigation had been released, and the public was still unaware Kohberger had been identified as a suspect. But in the weeks leading up to his arrest, Moscow Police Chief James Fry did various interviews with the media that offered glimmers of hope.

As the prosecuting attorney, Thompson said he’s concerned with making sure the prosecution is done in a fair and legal manner. He said professional ethics rules restrict what he can release outside of court because he doesn’t want to create bias in the community.

“We have a legal obligation to not do anything to taint the potential jury pool, because when we come to a trial, we need to be able to select jurors who don’t have preconceived opinions of what occurred, jurors who can be fair and impartial and can listen to the evidence in court and make a decision based on the evidence,” he said. “It’s really important to protect the integrity of the criminal process.”

But it’s a balancing act. Thompson agreed the public has a right to know what’s going on.

Now, a sweeping nondissemination order, also known as a gag order, prevents attorneys, law enforcement agencies and others associated with the case from talking or writing about it.

Thompson and Kohberger’s court-appointed defense team, Kootenai County public defender Anne Taylor and chief deputy litigator Jay Weston Logsdon, filed a document Jan. 3 demanding the judge issue a gag order, writing that the restrictions it imposes would protect the “integrity of the case to be presented at trial.”

“This case involves matters that have received a great deal of publicity,” both parties wrote. “This court has both a constitutional duty and the inherent authority to ‘minimize the effects of prejudicial pretrial publicity’ and ‘to ensure the efficacious administration of justice.’ ”

WHERE ELSE COULD THE TRIAL GO?

Former Idaho Attorney General and Lt. Gov. David Leroy told the Statesman that every defendant in a criminal case in the U.S. is entitled to a trial by a jury of peers.

“Those peers are supposed to approach any jury service as unbiased and without opinions formed in advance of the case,” Leroy said. “Jurors must decide whether someone has been shown to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, solely by evidence that’s produced in the courtroom.”

That evidence can take different forms, including scientific tests and witness testimony. In the 19-page probable cause affidavit used to arrest Kohberger, authorities laid out how they employed DNA evidence, vehicle and cellphone records, and other surveillance to find their suspect.

The difference between Moscow residents and the rest of the state, Leroy said, is the proximity to the crimes.

Leroy said conversations among people in the community, along with the temptation for news crews to drive by the King Road home where the four students were killed, have been pervasive.

Leroy said Kohberger’s defense team would likely presume that finding a jury in Latah County without previous opinions of the case could be difficult. He said Lewiston in Nez Perce County, just 30 miles south of Moscow, could provide a potential change of venue. So could Coeur d’Alene in Kootenai County, about 85 miles north; or Boise in Ada County, about 300 miles south.

Three of the victims hail from Kootenai County.

COMMUNITY RESPONDS TO MEDIA SCRUTINY

Even with Kohberger’s next court appearance over four months away, the fatal stabbings still garner significant news coverage in Idaho and across the country. In the days and weeks following the quadruple homicide, reporters flocked to the scene of the crime.

The university’s student newspaper, The Argonaut, wrote in an article about the news coverage Feb. 1 that “nobody could have anticipated the swarm of cameras and out-of-town reporters that converged” on U of I’s campus and throughout the town. The Argonaut also reported that students have been active about their discontent with all the attention on social media.

“In a very high-profile, high-publicity case such as this one, it’s going to very difficult to find anyone, anywhere in Idaho, that hasn’t heard something about the case,” Leroy said.

• Wow
NOTICE OF DEFENDANT’S SUPPLEMENTAL RESPONSE TO STATE’S ALIBI DEMAND

So BK submitted his alibi defense and the defense team has a CSLI Expert that looked into BK's cell phone and they are basically saying that BK wasn't in the area of the 1122 King Rd house at the time of the crime and that he was southwest of Pullman WA.
I honestly think that comes across as a pretty weak defence. 'I was out stargazing' hmmmmmm

I'll reserve my judgement for when this missing evidence comes to light (the cell site stuff)

Reactions: 8
I honestly think that comes across as a pretty weak defence. 'I was out stargazing' hmmmmmm

I'll reserve my judgement for when this missing evidence comes to light (the cell site stuff)
Oh, I see.

I don't know how Anne finds these amazing experts but I got to give it to her that's for sure.

There is a Motion To Compel Evidence hearing in May 2024 so I'm hoping that the state will turn over the final FBI CAST report to the defense.

The last sentence in this screenshot is very interesting oh boy I'm sure that Bill isn't too happy right now. Mmm... no wonder the state was so worried about BK's alibi even Lawyer You Know picked up on that.

There are apps about stars and if he took photos of the sky using that app, there should be records of what he took photos of and metadata ( e.g. time, date and maybe even GPS ) with those photos and experts can tell if the metadata is corrupted or if a photo is edited . Remember Amber Heard never turned over her cell phone so that the defense could have their expert look at the metadata of the. photos that she calmed was evidence that Johnny beat her.

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 9.17.13 AM.png

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh, I see.

I don't know how Anne finds these amazing experts but I got to give it to her that's for sure.

There is a Motion To Compel Evidence hearing in May 2024 so I'm hoping that the state will turn over the final FBI CAST report to the defense.

The last sentence in this screenshot is very interesting oh boy I'm sure that Bill isn't too happy right now. Mmm... no wonder the state was so worried about BK's alibi even Lawyer You Know picked up on that.

There are apps about stars and if he took photos of the sky using that app, there should be records of what he took photos of and metadata ( e.g. time, date and maybe even GPS ) with those photos and experts can tell if the metadata is corrupted or if a photo is edited . Remember Amber Heard never turned over her cell phone so that the defense could have their expert look at the metadata of the. photos that she calmed was evidence that Johnny beat her.

View attachment 2883205
Ah I didnt get the relevance of the stargazing, now I do. Kind of like the app I use to capture plants, when i see an unusual plant somewhere I take a photo, you can do that with stars? You can do that with geotagging I think. Where you were and when.

There is something very stinky about the way the state has disclosed evidence in this case. Personally I think it is highly likely he did it, but they are really making it look like they have something to hide here. Everyone deserves a fair trial.

Hang on though, didnt the previous released evidence say that he had his phone turned off for the period of time that the murders happened? So unlikely there is more cell site data, if the phone was off.

Reactions: 5
Yes it was previously reported that his phone was switched off for a number of hours which covered the time of the murders. The defence are doing their job by introducing doubt about his guilt but from what I know so far I do think he did this.

Reactions: 8
Ah I didnt get the relevance of the stargazing, now I do. Kind of like the app I use to capture plants, when i see an unusual plant somewhere I take a photo, you can do that with stars? You can do that with geotagging I think. Where you were and when.

There is something very stinky about the way the state has disclosed evidence in this case. Personally I think it is highly likely he did it, but they are really making it look like they have something to hide here. Everyone deserves a fair trial.

Hang on though, didnt the previous released evidence say that he had his phone turned off for the period of time that the murders happened? So unlikely there is more cell site data, if the phone was off.
if he had the feature on with the stargazing and if it was an option available but also

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 10.46.48 AM.png

But I'm guessing that the defense has the surveillance footage from the camera(s) Floyd's Cannabis Shop from the night of the crime and their team including their own car expert has searched through it looking for BK's car and they didn't see BK's car in the footage imo.

I know that the defendant has an android and a google account so maybe google has saved some of this location information. from the night of the crime when he was at or near the park

I just looked at one of the apps and they said that they don't link data to you but there may be metadata link to the photo that he look of the stars in the sky and that has information about date and the time that the photo of taken.

Reactions: 4

At the time of the PCA, they presumed his phone was off because there was nothing. No pings or whatever. BUT apparently, that doesn't necessarily mean his phone was off.

It could mean he had nothing go through at the time, or he was on airplane mode, or he had no service (like if he was in the countryside star gazing for example).

Anyways the meta data would show now if it was actually off or what not but that's not public.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
This case is so complex 🙁

A bit worried it will go through, he's not found guilty, then it's back to square one.

Reactions: 6
This case is so complex 🙁

A bit worried it will go through, he's not found guilty, then it's back to square one.
Yes agree. It's very complex and confusing and extra worrisome that either a guilty person will go free or an innocent percent will be shot to death by the government.

Anyways I was watching Reasonable Doubt today and the episode was about a KC Grondin. Never heard of it before but a young man convicted of murdering his girlfriend. It was all pretty shaky and pretty circumstantial, but convicted anyways. They found a piece of her blood soaked hair on his jogging pants in his laundry basket.

Anyways at face value he sounds guilty but when you get into the nitty gritty, you come away pretty confident he was wrongly accused/convicted.

I was so fascinated by it I looked up to see where it was now and his conviction was overturned! He is finally on house arrest while he goes through a new trial but, get this, they have since tested the other random male DNA at the scene and linked it to a very sketchy and violent man that cannot or will not explain how his cigarette butt got at the crime scene (or something like that).

It was all so similar to this case. Circumstantial. One tiny piece of DNA. Other DNA being present but not tested. No real motive so putting together pieces to fit the perceived narrative.

I am not saying he is guilty or innocent but sometimes, as citizens, we have to question our government. We can't believe things at face value.

If you have discovery watch season 2 episode 1. KC Grondin

• Wow
Reactions: 1

When you said that you think that the suspect is guilty which is why I typed 'oh okay I see'. I usually don't try to change people's minds if the think that the suspect is guilty anymore. There is so much going on with this case, I prefer to focus on keeping up with what is going on with the case instead. I also agree that everyone deserves a fair trial. Thank you for clearing that up.

I agree with you that there is something very stinky about the way that the state have been slowly turning over evidence to the defense. The defense is now up to their 15th supplemental request for discovery ( filed on March 28, 2024) and their fifth motion to compel evidence ( filed April 15, 2024) and their client has been in jail since Dec 30, 2022 so it's been 1 year, 3 months, 22 days or 478 days since he was arrested and the defense is still having to ask for discovery. Also that 51TB discovery that was given to the defense was just to overwhelm the defense so that they wouldn't be able to come up with a defense for their client imo.

there is part of the PCA which has the following:
there are three reasons why the suspect's cell phone wasn't connected to the network that provides cell phone coverage to the 1122 King Rd house according to LE's theory.

'At approximately 2:47 a.m. the 8458 Phone stops reporting to the network, which is consistent with either 1) the phone being in an area without cellular coverage, 2) the connection to the network is disabled (such as putting the phone in airplane mode), or 3) that the phone is turned off."

I see that a lot of people assume that his cell phone was off and I think that it's coming from that part of the PCA.

• Heart
When you said that you think that the suspect is guilty which is why I typed 'oh okay I see'. I usually don't try to change people's minds if the think that the suspect is guilty anymore. There is so much going on with this case, I prefer to focus on keeping up with what is going on with the case instead. I also agree that everyone deserves a fair trial. Thank you for clearing that up.

I agree with you that there is something very stinky about the way that the state have been slowly turning over evidence to the defense. The defense is now up to their 15th supplemental request for discovery ( filed on March 28, 2024) and their fifth motion to compel evidence ( filed April 15, 2024) and their client has been in jail since Dec 30, 2022 so it's been 1 year, 3 months, 22 days or 478 days since he was arrested and the defense is still having to ask for discovery. Also that 51TB discovery that was given to the defense was just to overwhelm the defense so that they wouldn't be able to come up with a defense for their client imo.

there is part of the PCA which has the following:
there are three reasons why the suspect's cell phone wasn't connected to the network that provides cell phone coverage to the 1122 King Rd house according to LE's theory.

'At approximately 2:47 a.m. the 8458 Phone stops reporting to the network, which is consistent with either 1) the phone being in an area without cellular coverage, 2) the connection to the network is disabled (such as putting the phone in airplane mode), or 3) that the phone is turned off."

I see that a lot of people assume that his cell phone was off and I think that it's coming from that part of the PCA.
I find it rather odd that the prosecution don't know if the phone was turned off or not.
Supposedly the log in the phone knows what angle it is being held at - or so cop shows and the internet would have you believe.

I find it rather odd that the prosecution don't know if the phone was turned off or not.
Supposedly the log in the phone knows what angle it is being held at - or so cop shows and the internet would have you believe.
The PCA was done without the suspect's phone and it was written by Brent Payne the lead detective.
But only after they have the physical cell phone would they be able to know what angel the cell phone is being held at but the prosecution doesn't want to turn over what they have found based on the last paragraph of AT's filing.

But I find it odd that the prosecution hasn't asked the FBI to complete the FBI CAST report so that they ( the state) could turn it over to the defense. 👀. My theory is that the FBI CAST report has exculpatory information in it which is why the state doesn't want to turn it over to the defense.

The PCA was done without the suspect's phone and it was written by Brent Payne the lead detective.
But only after they have the physical cell phone would they be able to know what angel the cell phone is being held at but the prosecution doesn't want to turn over what they have found based on the last paragraph of AT's filing.

But I find it odd that the prosecution hasn't asked the FBI to complete the FBI CAST report so that they ( the state) could turn it over to the defense. 👀. My theory is that the FBI CAST report has exculpatory information in it which is why the state doesn't want to turn it over to the defense.
I agree.
They seem to be trying to explain the DNA.
Perhaps there is some other reason for it being there.
Or the method how it was obtained is flawed.

I agree.
They seem to be trying to explain the DNA.
Perhaps there is some other reason for it being there.
Or the method how it was obtained is flawed.
I saw that the defense asked for some more information about the IGG DNA information and the state objected to it.

STATE'S OBJECTION TO DEFENDANT’S 15th SUPPLEMENTAL REQUEST FOR DISCOVERY

The dna is touch dna which is transferable. People don't understand your touch dna can end up in places that you have never been before and on items that you have never touched. and it can be problematic too. Also it's touch dna found on brass and touch dna doesn't last last on brass from what I've been hearing. Also one of the dna experts for the defense said in a court document the following - "And in this case, in which the profile at issue is ambiguous and partial, other suspects are an important area of investigation." So the touch dna that was found of BK was a partial print, there is a reason why Othram Lab was used, they are usually a last resort for LE to try to solve a crime and they also don't have accreditation as a dna lab either from what I understand. Also during the IGG DNA hearing Anne Taylor said that there was problems with the SNP from the private lab. I also heard that Idaho State Police used up all of the touch dna found on the sheath for a STR profile so that defense, there is no way for the defense to do their own testing on it. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. Also there is no way for the STR profile and the SNP profile to be compared. Yikes.

Also Anne Taylor included a copy of the DOJ guidelines about how and when to use IGG DNA and what should be preserved by the prosecution for discovery. IGG is only supposed to be used once LE has followed all of their leads not while they are still following the leads that they have which may have happened in this case. Also did the FBI search though users of DNA databases that optioned out of LE searching through their profiles trying to solve their criminal cases. There are only two that allow LE to search their dna databases and one you automatically are optioned in and one of them you have to opt in. The other don't'. So some people wonder if the FBI used BK SNP as a regular user instead of as LE, like they are supposed to.

there is also this situation here about the
“The STR profile is at least 5.37 octillion times more likely to be seen if (the) Defendant is the source than if an unrelated individual randomly selected from the general population is the source,” prosecutors said in the filing. An octillion is a number equal to a 1 followed by 27 zeros.

and Anne Taylor mentioned in a court document, from what I understand 5.37 octillion isn't a real number that exist.

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 11.33.20 AM.png

my theory is that whoever owned that sheath has came in contact with BK's touch dna somewhere in Pullman WA and they may not know BK personally.

• Heart