The Michalaks #3 Stef is still a pretend hipster twit whilst flogging Ali Express tat!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am just watching a vlog by "travel beans" and they are in Portugal talking about buying property there. Interesting how many of the comments say it's not as easy at it looks, lots of issues, and also every YouTuber and their dog is now talking about, or moving to, Portugal so the angle in terms of being unique to gain viewers is already quite saturated.

Reactions: 6
This top comment is funny because I couldn't think of a video with a more pretentious twit in it 🤣

They are mad to sell their property in the UK with rising house prices and interest rates, when this influencer money dries up and they've spent their house money on adventures abroad where will they live?

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I think the government are terrible obviously but in that mortgage video he takes no responsibility for the fact they’ve maxed themselves out a posh house and are now paying the price. When you buy a property you always need to consider rising rates - not just go for as much as you can get your grubby mitts on. Instead of learning a lesson (that stability is about taking the less glamorous option most of the time) they are moving abroad to a country they’ve spent 0 time in!?? Bonkers!
They could just buy a more average house in another area - no doubt that’s not special enough for them.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Post Brexit, UK citizens only have the right to stay in Portugal for 90 days in a six month period. To get a Golden Visa to stay in Portugal, you have to invest 250,000 euros into the country's economy (or buy property between 350k euros and 500k euros.....or the D7 visa requires a passive income of 750 euros per month. The D7 visa is valid for four months and allows two entries into the country. It sounds very complicated to me

Reactions: 10
This pair are pretentious wankers of the highest order. How have they made any money???!!!!

Reactions: 4
Post Brexit, UK citizens only have the right to stay in Portugal for 90 days in a six month period. To get a Golden Visa to stay in Portugal, you have to invest 250,000 euros into the country's economy (or buy property between 350k euros and 500k euros.....or the D7 visa requires a passive income of 750 euros per month. The D7 visa is valid for four months and allows two entries into the country. It sounds very complicated to me
He has an Irish passport I think? So would they as a family be considered as if they are EU citizens?

Did nobody learn from the 08 crash, people taking out more than they could afford, just because your bank offers you X amount does not mean you can actually afford it long term
Anyway funny how he posted that since I mentioned earlier about them selling their property to move to Portugal were I'm sure there is also a cost of living crisis like every other country, the ECB have their interest rates like 5 times in the last year which will affect property in Portugal.

Reactions: 7
I think the government are terrible obviously but in that mortgage video he takes no responsibility for the fact they’ve maxed themselves out a posh house and are now paying the price. When you buy a property you always need to consider rising rates - not just go for as much as you can get your grubby mitts on. Instead of learning a lesson (that stability is about taking the less glamorous option most of the time) they are moving abroad to a country they’ve spent 0 time in!?? Bonkers!
They could just buy a more average house in another area - no doubt that’s not special enough for them.
When they were buying a house, there were a few for sale at half the price they paid for that one. I remember a detached four bedroom that needed updating but, it had a garage, workshop and quite a large garden......it was a lot bigger than the one they're in

They are assuming they are going to sell their house quickly. My brother's house is for sale, here in Yorkshire. It's a five bedroom detached with garage and orangery. It's listed for £250k and he's reduced it by £15k....it's been on the market for months
---
He has an Irish passport I think? So would they as a family be considered as if they are EU citizens?

Did nobody learn from the 08 crash, people taking out more than they could afford, just because your bank offers you X amount does not mean you can actually afford it long term
Anyway funny how he posted that since I mentioned earlier about them selling their property to move to Portugal were I'm sure there is also a cost of living crisis like every other country, the ECB have their interest rates like 5 times in the last year which will affect property in Portugal.
Portugal welcome both EU citizens and non EU citizens

Reactions: 3
When I considered moving there & all my friends were saying “no don’t come here it’s not worth it,” there were loooads of reasons and I can imagine these two moaning all about them as well.

Like I said above, it’s hard for expats but also the cost of rent is extortionate vs their minimum wage, cities like Lisbon are beautiful in the Center, but in the living areas in Lisbon like Famoes, which is one of the districts in Lisbon just about a 20 minute drive from the airport, it’s like a council estate in the UK just with good weather and a cafe underneath your flat.

I know these pair have a lot of money between them despite their claims they’re as poor as dirt so it probably would be a bit different for them, but it doesn’t change the fact Portugal is quite pricey and it’s beauty and warm summers don’t balance that out. I doubt they’d move to a small town in the middle of nowhere, it’d be Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra or Braga.

Also their winters and Springs are quite similar weather wise to the UK just without any snow. I went to a small town near Obidos in February and it was freeeezing.

TL;DR: It’s not as dreamy as when you’re holidaying there

Reactions: 8
Wow @evoway13 your brother's house sounds lovely. Hope he gets a buyer soon. £250k in my postcode gets you a 2 bed apartment, or a small 2 bed terrace. Now I know why my colleagues on the same salary up north have bigger houses! I am happy with the lack of freezing weather though down here...
The vlog I was watching earlier was in northern Portugal filmed in the last week or so and it rained for 3 days so they would hate that!

Reactions: 4
We're all allowed to be angry at how the economy is doing. But typical for Stef to blame it entirely.

They overextended themselves, with an unpredictable income. They were under productive and overspending for years.

It's a bad macro situation but they mad consistently bad decisions.

Urgh I can't listen to Stef be all self righteous and pompous about the state of mortgages. Lots of people pointing out to him it's worldwide. He's one of those people who always think their right and will drone on about their views.

They were lucky to have a 1.4% mortgage for this long, historically that is incredibly low. Naïve to think it would stay that way forever.
He and Hannah give such diff stories, she's all ridiculous expensive fancy bakery goods and posh cafe acai bowls and he's all we're short of money?! Is Hannah in denial?
Mind you, Steff has been on a family holiday to Italy and a holiday to Greece with friends in recent months so I find it hard to believe they're strapped for cash. Or are they just idiots who think the owes them a favour and will bail them out? Steff clearly thinks his poor financial choices should be solved by the government.

Reactions: 16
They've lived beyond their means for years - including Stef dropping £30k on a new camera....and I believe he has more than one. He's moaning that lockdown led to this recession - it more than likely did but, lockdown didn't force him into a mortgage that he wouldn't be able to afford once the fixed rate ended. I don't know if he's aware of these but, Portugal had both police and soldiers patrolling during lockdown and were willing to dole out punishments which included being jailed or 20000 euro fines.

When my ex and I bought our first house in the mid 90's, we brought home £3.5k a month home. We bought a large semi detached house and our mortgage was £280 per month on average. What I'm saying is, we could've bought something a lot bigger but, we wanted to live and not simply exist by living beyond our means

Reactions: 8
Sorry, what, £30k on a camera?! He's just deluded! There are people doing better on YouTube/tictok with just an iPhone FFS. Thinks he's so bloody special doesn't he!

I think a lot of influencers believed their own publicity and thought they were much more special than was actually the case. They were fortunate to jump on the gravy train at the right time and earned a lot of money quickly and easily. They thought it would continue forever and spent accordingly. Engagement is down, new followers arent there in the same numbers and a lot are feeling the squeeze. Many companies seem to have dramatically reduced using influencers for advertising and the freebies are nothing like as prolific as they used to be. Should have banked the money when they had the chance.

They’ve been riding the wave of their zoella shout out for a good long time, they need to just be grateful for what they’ve had and cut their losses now haha

Sorry, what, £30k on a camera?! He's just deluded! There are people doing better on YouTube/tictok with just an iPhone FFS. Thinks he's so bloody special doesn't he!
I think he uses Red Dragon - I've found used ones at $36,000

Reactions: 1
I was just thinking that surely their house is valued alot more now than when they bought it so their loan to value will have gone down and they won't have as high repayments, yes they won't have a low interest like they had but their payments should go down no?

Reactions: 1
I was just thinking that surely their house is valued a lot more now than when they bought it so their loan to value will have gone down and they won't have as high repayments, yes they won't have a low interest like they had but their payments should go down no?
They paid £825,000 in 2001 - they paid £150,000 more than it was worth (there were other properties on the same street - the house next door went for £600,000 at the same time and it had been modernised etc) . So, their house is worth £800,000 - £850,000 now - it's a really bad time to sell.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.