The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #10 No wonder she’s absolutely minted, she’s selling her freebies on Vinted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Every time she says they “saved up” it riles me. I think she means “we waited until we had enough money in our savings to feel comfortable spending £000s on refurbishing a sofa” but the words give the impression that they put a little bit aside each month until they could afford to do it. Semantics I suppose, but irritating. Does anyone get what I mean?
I get the same eye roll but not sure if it’s for the same reason - it just feels so self pitying and a bit like she’s cosplaying some Dickensian peasant ala Jack Monroe? Like she makes such an ordeal justifying her day to day purchases whilst not addressing the mammoth elephant in the room of how they afford their lifestyle on a single income.

Also has anyone else’s nursery increased fees as a result of the new additional funding stuff? So glad Alex gets her 30 free hours though, heaven forbid we had an equitable system that prevented her buying £400 coats!

Reactions: 12
Every time she says they “saved up” it riles me. I think she means “we waited until we had enough money in our savings to feel comfortable spending £000s on refurbishing a sofa” but the words give the impression that they put a little bit aside each month until they could afford to do it. Semantics I suppose, but irritating. Does anyone get what I mean?
Me too! Her posts are always full of pointed buzzwords 'secondhand', 'really affordable' and 'saved up' - but no actual (realistic) costs.

And then the next post is £100s on a new coat she doesn't need.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I know people mock Alex for saying there’s still a stigma about wearing glasses but I do think some people still have a hang up about it to be honest, not surprising when so much emphasis is placed on women’s looks on social media in particular.

My dad was always funny about me wearing my glasses growing up and he’s now started trying to take my 4 year old son’s glasses off for photos 🙄 so there’s definitely some people out there who still consider them uncool/unattractive.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
And she's messed up the sofa already. That was well worth it.
The thing is, when you have back up parents and back up “savings”, it doesn’t really matter if you wreck nice stuff because you can just buy again.

The whole concept of a nice, expensive coat is lost on her because she has so many.

(I also don’t believe for one second those cushions weren’t refilled. She claims they came back from the reupholsterers like that and having them recovered, replumped them. Whatever Alex. Whatever.)

Reactions: 9
Do you follow Hannah Rochell? A friend of Alex. I always thought she was a bit more real with her sustainability preaching but she did a reel a few days ago which showed just how much stuff she has in her closet. Very easy to preach about not buying when you have a ridiculous amount of stuff to start with/ the ability to buy very easily.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I know people mock Alex for saying there’s still a stigma about wearing glasses but I do think some people still have a hang up about it to be honest, not surprising when so much emphasis is placed on women’s looks on social media in particular.

My dad was always funny about me wearing my glasses growing up and he’s now started trying to take my 4 year old son’s glasses off for photos 🙄 so there’s definitely some people out there who still consider them uncool/unattractive.
I don’t disagree but I don’t think it’s a problem on the scale that Alex thinks it is. And I call bullshit on her claim that she was called Harry Hill in her schooldays!

Reactions: 4
I’m sure that your dad is lovely in other ways but I would be taking him aside and saying if you dare mention your grandson’s glasses in anything less than a positive light….and if you touch them I’ll break your fingers. I’d then smile sweetly and say “just joking, but you get the idea”

• Haha
Reactions: 4
You need a tv license to watch iPlayer, alex.
(well, technically you don’t, but what do you think covers the cost of having films available on there in the first place, babes…)
According to the TV licensing website you do. Even for non-BBC apps like ITVX, which surprised/confused me! A few of us at work were googling it the other day bc one of our staff has cancelled theirs to *actually save* for a holiday and wasn't sure if he could watch a programme I recommended
---
Do you follow Hannah Rochell? A friend of Alex. I always thought she was a bit more real with her sustainability preaching but she did a reel a few days ago which showed just how much stuff she has in her closet. Very easy to preach about not buying when you have a ridiculous amount of stuff to start with/ the ability to buy very easily.
I made pretty much this exact comment on one of Alex's threads not so long ago. Easy to do no clothes shopping for a year when you have an entire large wall of floor-to-ceiling wardrobes full of clothes and shoes just belonging to yourself. How are they not ashamed that they're blatantly trying to mug us all off

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I think the coat is a lovely colour and obvs super nice but I think it swamps her and isn’t flattering (her buzzword) Never mind though won’t be long and the frugal alex will have another.

the sofa is ridiculous with kids, what on earth were they thinking?

Reactions: 5
I followed the frugality at one point because I thought the dark hall was striking when it was shown on my feed.
I've just seen this post reupholstery spillage now, reckon a savings replumping quest+promotion for a chic throw is pretty inevitable.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.