The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Breaking news - converse are warm when worn with socks. None of us knew that, right? Such a niche little brand that none of us own, Converse.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Hang on they're not just pain Converse, they're Comme Des Garçon Converse that cost £130!!! Not exactly frugal!

Has anyone reported her to ASA? As that is very much a Beauty Pie Ad without proper declaration. I suspect that discount gets her extra commission, very sneaky.

Reactions: 2
Hang on they're not just pain Converse, they're Comme Des Garçon Converse that cost £130!!! Not exactly frugal!

Has anyone reported her to ASA? As that is very much a Beauty Pie Ad without proper declaration. I suspect that discount gets her extra commission, very sneaky.
It’s funny you say that as I actually thought how bad that one was - she’s so so shocking for ad declaration.

Reactions: 1
Oh god….the newsletter….I don’t know where to start…her meal planning journey….why is everything an influencer does a journey?! It’s literally scribbling a few bits on a piece of paper and checking your cupboards before going to Aldi ahem Sainsburys….
Also so obvious these two wallys have access to family money….pushing 40 and only just thought about a pension…

Reactions: 7
Oh god….the newsletter….I don’t know where to start…her meal planning journey….why is everything an influencer does a journey?! It’s literally scribbling a few bits on a piece of paper and checking your cupboards before going to Aldi ahem Sainsburys….
Also so obvious these two wallys have access to family money….pushing 40 and only just thought about a pension…
The pension thing scares me massively! I consider myself to be in a relatively privileged financial position, but have never once considered not paying into a pension ever since I started my first job.

But then the thought of financing home projects by relying on a mix of savings, loans and credit cards etc also does, so I guess I’m just massively risk adverse and pretty conservative with my spending! 😂

Reactions: 5
Can’t quote for some reason - @Author123 have you considered buying a notepad from Slurpy Chops and doing some meal planning? All the money saved can then support you in your old age. Buying some overpriced matches should also help you be more frugal.
(I’m not a qualified finance professional but I do occasionally wear glasses.)

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Can’t quote for some reason - @Author123 have you considered buying a notepad from Slurpy Chops and doing some meal planning? All the money saved can then support you in your old age. Buying some overpriced matches should also help you be more frugal.
(I’m not a qualified finance professional but I do occasionally wear glasses.)
Oh my goodness- this is all such good advice! I’m embarrassed that I never though of doing this to safeguard my financial future! I bet this will mean I can now afford a double story extension too! But shhh, don’t tell anyone!

Reactions: 10
Sorry for the double post, but can anyone more savvy on advertising regs tell me: is it enough to have an ad break page at the start and end of stories, or should each story have ad also marked on it? I’ve just seen Alex’s Eatily ad, but missed the first ad break page so was trying to work out why she was so enthusiastic about it until I reached the end of ad break page.

Reactions: 3
Sorry for the double post, but can anyone more savvy on advertising regs tell me: is it enough to have an ad break page at the start and end of stories, or should each story have ad also marked on it? I’ve just seen Alex’s Eatily ad, but missed the first ad break page so was trying to work out why she was so enthusiastic about it until I reached the end of ad break page.

Each story should be clearly marked as marketing content. In captions it must be marked at the beginning of the text.

I follow a number of smaller lifestyle/interior design accounts and their disclosure is sloppy, but the larger, well established accounts such Alex’s are hardly setting a sterling example.

Reactions: 4
Every single page, as each image is an independent piece of advertising content isn’t it so needs declaring.

The ad break tit is all performative and it’s because the good players in the market use it so much like bumming up to Clare Seal she thinks that alone absolves her of having to adhere to the literal law.

Reactions: 6
Each story should be clearly marked as marketing content. In captions it must be marked at the beginning of the text.

I follow a number of smaller lifestyle/interior design accounts and their disclosure is sloppy, but the larger, well established accounts such Alex’s are hardly setting a sterling example.
Can they run a paid partnership with so and so company at the top under their name, above the photo, instead of in front of the text where I believe they should be putting Ad. Someone is doing this and it’s bugging me. It’s also not static but it moves so it’s not very obvious. This person is a TV veterinarian.

Reactions: 1
Can they run a paid partnership with so and so company at the top under their name, above the photo, instead of in front of the text where I believe they should be putting Ad. Someone is doing this and it’s bugging me. It’s also not static but it moves so it’s not very obvious. This person is a TV veterinarian.
My understanding is that brand content, whether a gift, a sponsorship, a partnership, a paid advertisement, or a ‘PR product’ 🤮, needs to be clearly disclosed as marketing. Would the average IG user understand that ‘paid partnership’ is advertising?

Report it to the ASA and see what their feedback is.

I believe it is ok because it’s classed as being sufficiently clear of the relationship

Alex should be putting Ad on those bloody matches too and the can’t live without it performative meal planner….

Reactions: 5
Here’s an interesting one: a legal director/commercial lawyer who didn’t properly disclose a holiday in the Bahamas as marketing content. 😑

8D5699F7-245D-4352-A387-3D44A824158B.jpeg

Post after post advertising and tagging the resort on her grid and only the last photo marked ‘PR stay’. Same deal with all her clothing, shoes and bag advertising: the cringeworthy ‘PR Product’.

5D6B885A-2ABE-4C93-8E71-CD5DDFBC86BE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sad
“PR Product” does my friggin head in too.
That’s not a thing. It doesn’t exist. They all just made it up in some weird collective influencer hive mind copycat lemming situation.

If they sent it to you for free, and you’re then making content with it, you’re benefiting from it, and so are the fuckers who sent it to you. And if you’re not actually declaring it as an ad, you’re just working for them for free or the price of a freebie for yourself, which doesn’t really say much when you know how much you can get from an actual ad. All so gross and Alex is by no means the worst offender!

Reactions: 8
Here’s an interesting one: a legal director/commercial lawyer who didn’t properly disclose a holiday in the Bahamas as marketing content. 😑

View attachment 998139

Post after post advertising and tagging the resort on her grid and only the last photo marked ‘PR stay’. Same deal with all her clothing, shoes and bag advertising: the cringeworthy ‘PR Product’.

View attachment 998148
She does this a lot and is playing a VERY risky game given her career and the fact she works at Deloitte.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.