The Frugality #3 content is free, don’t care if it’s drivel, shopping in Sainsbury’s, pretending it’s Lidl

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just looked at a story with a link sticker. It takes you straight to the retailer, then the retailer redirects you to their website.

Where would the affiliate link be in that chain? I wonder if Instagram is making a commission now, rather than the influencer?
This is probably a bit boring but this is how it works 😂

An affiliate link is just the same as any website link just with a lot of extra text at the end that will be unique to the influencer. So all they'll need to do is copy paste it into a different place. Insta won't earn any money from it but they will be able to see which links they are posting and how many people are clicking on it. Which I bet they will sell to brands so brands can figure out who to partner with.

If you ever look at the web address in your browser after you've pressed on an affiliate link you will be able to see all the info in the random text at the end. Sometimes you can actually see some juicy info about the partnership/requirements.

This one's boring but for example her caudalie aff link she's just posted:
"https://uk.caudalie.com/gift-offers/buy-a-suncare-product-get-the-second-half-price.html?utm_source=alexandra.stedman&utm_medium=social_media_partnership&utm_campaign=202107_alexandra.stedman_social_media_partnership_caudalie_cru_suncare_uk"

Redirected ones are just using a middle platform that will take a cut of the earnings. If you have ever used TopCashback etc this all works in the same way.

Reactions: 7
This is probably a bit boring but this is how it works 😂

An affiliate link is just the same as any website link just with a lot of extra text at the end that will be unique to the influencer. So all they'll need to do is copy paste it into a different place. Insta won't earn any money from it but they will be able to see which links they are posting and how many people are clicking on it. Which I bet they will sell to brands so brands can figure out who to partner with.

If you ever look at the web address in your browser after you've pressed on an affiliate link you will be able to see all the info in the random text at the end. Sometimes you can actually see some juicy info about the partnership/requirements.

This one's boring but for example her caudalie aff link she's just posted:
"https://uk.caudalie.com/gift-offers/buy-a-suncare-product-get-the-second-half-price.html?utm_source=alexandra.stedman&utm_medium=social_media_partnership&utm_campaign=202107_alexandra.stedman_social_media_partnership_caudalie_cru_suncare_uk"

Redirected ones are just using a middle platform that will take a cut of the earnings. If you have ever used TopCashback etc this all works in the same way.
Exactly. The influencers will make money exactly the same as now. Instagram are just changing it because the swipe up at the bottom gets in the way of captions and means people can't interact with posts with swipes on them. The sticker is just a swipe that you can place anywhere you like on the screen.

And yes, she looks really good in that pic!

Reactions: 2
It’s a nice pic because she has taken it using a filter and then saved it to camera roll- I do it all the time when I’m cat fishing a guy I quite like 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
She does look good with the shorter hair.
But what a fuss (ie. waste of money) about the wardrobe doors….

Reactions: 5
I’ve said this before but she tries to be frugal by shopping around for bits and bobs and doing things in stages. But then they inevitably end up spending more than just buying a product outright. And then there’s inevitably things wrong that don’t work or match, and they must spend more money fixing those bits. Like on the wardrobes she said there was some part of it she wouldn’t recommend to others, and her kitchen had parts missing and scuffs on it that she then had to fix. How about just spend a smidge more on a product and it’ll work for years!

Reactions: 8
I’ve said this before but she tries to be frugal by shopping around for bits and bobs and doing things in stages. But then they inevitably end up spending more than just buying a product outright. And then there’s inevitably things wrong that don’t work or match, and they must spend more money fixing those bits. Like on the wardrobes she said there was some part of it she wouldn’t recommend to others, and her kitchen had parts missing and scuffs on it that she then had to fix. How about just spend a smidge more on a product and it’ll work for years!
Completely. I can see the patio tiles going the same way because they haven’t done it properly, which could potentially cause water damage to the house.

Reactions: 1
The newsletter is bewildering. A ‘feature’ on free days out in London with kids includes the Tate and Kings Cross? E.g. two of the best known locations in the city? That’s the ‘meaty’ content she promised as justification for going to bi-weekly newsletters? My 7 year old could have whipped that up in about 20minutes. I’m honestly at a loss. Can she possibly believe this is meaningful content or does she just not give an F?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Her Newsletter yesterday was really scraping the barrel for content. First up saying they had no time to do a car boot sale as they usually do to help with holiday spending money and they were having to sell bits via eBay, a few articles down how they had bought a second hand sofa via eBay for £150.

If they hadn’t bought the sofa they’d have had a few days spending money, in a house with three sofas already as well as several armchairs and I don’t know how many random chairs, a sofa purchase just now was hardly a necessity.

An very un-inspiring article on free days out in London with kids.

Reactions: 5
Free days out in London with kids was her content? Is that not what Google is for?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Does she really think anyone needs her newsletter to find free days out with kids in London? Hasn't she heard of Google?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Her newsletter was so ridiculous - that is not proper content! It was basically 'go to a park or go to the natural history museum or go to kings cross'. Nobody is asking her what to do with small children in London (see museum mum if you want this content!) but if she is going to insisting on doing this to kind of post, please please make a tiny bit of effort. Just so lazy, scraping the barrel is totally right.

IKEA is a fun day out for the kids…really. No offence to anyone that takes their kids there but there’s nothing worse than trying to find your way out of the place only to have someone’s kids trying to trip you up at every turn. Stick them in the crèche and get them a hot dog by all means but when I’m trying to get some malm drawers onto one of those springy trollies without putting my back out the last thing I need is trying not to take out someone’s little darling who is being allowed to run around like it some sort of soft play.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I see Chris is adding mortar under every single tile individually, and visibly faffing around with it. No wonder they’re still just somewhere half way through.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.