The Frugality #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I accept the principle of being able to charge for content. But the reality is that presumably like a lot of people I read & watch a lot of stuff online that I wouldn’t read or watch if I had to pay for it. Alex’s content is that for me, I don’t want it badly enough to pay for it. In the current market there’s tons of good free material including magazine articles. Alex is at pains to point out that people get her content for free, if she charges for it, people have tons of alternatives. That’s the market in which she operates.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Her ‘content’ may be free but she needs to have her audience/followers to enable her to work for brands and be paid to advertise for them. She also needs followers for her to have an income from affiliate links.

Alex is becoming very entitled, does not want to work but still wants/needs an income. Saying her site is free for now - does she really think it’s interesting enough that people would pay to subscribe up it ?? I’m not sure how she had the audacity to beg for people ’to buy her a coffee’.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m not sure how she had the audacity to beg for people ’to buy her a coffee’.
Alex probably knows full well that many of her followers aren’t particularly tech savvy and really DO think they are just buying her a coffee, rather than contributing to this month’s mortgage payment.

Reactions: 3
Quite a few donations!

I’m torn I mean newspaper get at revenue & still charge customers to read them.

On the other it feels a bit cheeky to do obviously do so little & then ask for donations. It feels like a try-on. Choosing unemployment isn’t frugal it’s just trying to have an easy life. Sure worth a shot!
In fairness there’s some original content in newspapers. With this you’re paying for her to serve you Ads & beg for freebies or more Ads. It’s bizarre.

Reactions: 5
121 cups now, so that’s £363, enough to cover her grocery bill for the next month or so.

She’s lost touch with reality or needs to live in the real world for a while. Saying she wants to figure out new work ways for them as she’s spent years putting work first and developing bad working habits and then is begging others to fund this. How about either herself or her husband finding a job that provides a regular and steady income.

It‘s sickening really.

• Sick
Honestly I am incredulous. I’ve commented before that she seems to have totally lost her way over the last year or so and doesn’t know what to be or who her target audience is (she did used to write really well about fashion) and this takes the absolute piss. Not sold enough £12 matches obviously. Wonder if begging for money will feature in her ebook about spending.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Refresh
Honestly I am incredulous. I’ve commented before that she seems to have totally lost her way over the last year or so and doesn’t know what to be or who her target audience is (she did used to write really well about fashion) and this takes the absolutely piss. Not sold enough £12 matches obviously. Wonder if begging for money will feature in her ebook about spending.
Refresh my memory did she give out about that being free too?

Reactions: 1
If I didn’t earn enough money in my job I wouldn’t set up a go fund me to fuel my lifestyle. I would get a job that paid me better or find a way to earn money. Begging is not earning, getting paid for your content by brands is- she must not be getting the paid work

• Heart
Reactions: 8
If I didn’t earn enough money in my job I wouldn’t set up a go fund me to fuel my lifestyle. I would get a job that paid me better or find a way to earn money. Begging is not earning, getting paid for your content by brands is- she must not be getting the paid work
121 cups I wonder if that’s out of sympathy or if those people would ordinarily be happy to pay for content.
I’m sure Alex has been hit by the lack of advertising this year but her husband apart from doing bits for her business appears to choose not to work. There are many many causes a lot more deserving but it up to others how they spend their money.

Reactions: 4
I feel like leaving her 1p and leave a message ask her to get a job

• Haha
This is completely extraordinary. The nonsense about unhealthy working habits completely got me. There’s no way she works more than a 15hr week running that blog. She also doesn’t seem to understand her own business model. She’s not making free content, she’s building and sustaining an audience which is then monetised through brand partnerships. I willingly donate my hard earned time to literally watch paint drying on a fence, so that she gets a pay check and a free sofa from John Lewis. Surely she should be grateful enough for that? There are influencers out there with Patreon accounts but many of them are putting well researched content out into the world, holding space for dialogue and discussion and really educating around e.g. sustainable fashion or mental health or child development etc. Alex literally adds no value to the space. Her writing is dreadful and her content is random and erratic. She did have some particular expertise as a stylist but she’s already being remunerated for that through affiliate links and of late does little more than post blurry pictures of household tat (CF the Tiger £1 candles, for e.g.). All in all a picture perfect example of a late stage capitalist blagger who has pushed her audience too far and who's house of cards looks likely to topple before long. Chris better dust off his interview suit and prepare for a hair wash.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I am familiar with the coffee concept, in fact I gave some money to a scientific influencer who was asking for support as with lockdown her income was dramatically reduced.
the content she offers is great and varied and of course there are no ads or affiliates.
But I don’t remember seeing anything groundbreaking or remotely interesting on the frugality for a long time now if not ever?

This is completely extraordinary. The nonsense about unhealthy working habits completely got me. There’s no way she works more than a 15hr week running that blog. She also doesn’t seem to understand her own business model. She’s not making free content, she’s building and sustaining an audience which is then monetised through brand partnerships. I willingly donate my hard earned time to literally watch paint drying on a fence, so that she gets a pay check and a free sofa from John Lewis. Surely she should be grateful enough for that? There are influencers out there with Patreon accounts but many of them are putting well researched content out into the world, holding space for dialogue and discussion and really educating around e.g. sustainable fashion or mental health or child development etc. Alex literally adds no value to the space. Her writing is dreadful and her content is random and erratic. She did have some particular expertise as a stylist but she’s already being remunerated for that through affiliate links and of late does little more than post blurry pictures of household tat (CF the Tiger £1 candles, for e.g.). All in all a picture perfect example of a late stage capitalist blagger who has pushed her audience too far and who's house of cards looks likely to topple before long. Chris better dust off his interview suit and prepare for a hair wash.
You’ve captured the point I couldn’t articulate re her business model. The “free content” has lead to a following she can then pitch to advertisers. At times she appears angry at the free content.

I don’t know much about websites, my friend has a small business website, she says it takes a lot to maintain but she sells products through it so I assume a regular website without a shop & payment method etc takes a lot less work.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It’s still hard to believe that a person whose account is called The Frugality sold £9 matches.

• Haha
What’s galling is: “The last year has been a tough one for so many.....”. I have zero doubt the UK is full of people totally broke right now. Alex has shown herself eating out, buying a new top etc. Normal everyday things but not essentials.

And normalising not rushing back to work from maternity leave. That’s a great cause but also an enormous privilege.

So so greedy.

She will be getting a lot of abuse re this as well I think. A page I follow on insta (britishroyaljewels) is the only other person I follow who uses ko-fi, and he puts out a lot of well researched and interesting posts that show he is passionate about his interest in the jewels. He often posts messages he receives slagging him off for "begging". I have never donated and don't get the mindset of people who do, but someone like him doing it as a hobby is way more deserving than a lazy grubby slob like Alex, who already has several income streams from her blog. And the audacity of her thinking her money saving "tips" are things people would pay for. GET A JOB!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.