The Dis Unplugged #9 Tigger King

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The absolute irony of Craig reading that quote at the beginning. ‘Walt Disney was once interviewed about his difficulty obtaining money from banks early in his career and was quoted as saying ‘I found the best way to get started was to quit talking and begin doing it’’

Pete clearly didn’t have that trouble 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I am still amazed that they came out of the gate and went directly into a 20 minute sales pitch for Dreams. It would have been at least 45 minutes if John didn't interrupt Ryno. Are they that tone deaf?
Also when discussing Disney's newest discount John said that it was probably because bookings have been slow recently. No, John. The parks are packed. Is it possible that Dreams bookings are slow...... for some unknown reason?

Reactions: 14
I am still amazed that they came out of the gate and went directly into a 20 minute sales pitch for Dreams. It would have been at least 45 minutes if John didn't interrupt Ryno. Are they that tone deaf?
Haha, you know the answer. Yes...Yes they are that tone deaf.

It reminds me of when they used to do the housekeeping segment, which originally started out as quick programming information or upcoming event information but slowly transformed into Kevin spending about 10-12 minutes selling upcoming ABD trips and chastising listeners that these were going to sell out quick and they needed to book.

It was so bad that people were complaining on the boards and Pete eventually did away with housekeeping.

But yeah bringing back Kevin is just what the show needed.

Reactions: 15
What the hell have they been doing for the last 2 months? Seriously I get it’s a lot, so maybe they needed 2 weeks to process and decompress but it’s your livelihood get to work.

Outline for the show, update all websites with new branding, I don’t even mind them being remote but have a cohesive background.

Reactions: 9
Not that it will ever happen but I would love to know what the pay structure is especially for Craig & Ryno. The Dis seems to be their only or the majority of their income. What the hell can they be getting paid for the work they do? Do they get health insurance? Maybe they're afraid to leave because then they would have to pay out of pocket for their APs to Disney & Universal.
I live 1200 miles from WDW and I can produce and upload better daily content than these two put together

Reactions: 11
DVCFan already found a studio as well! They aren't using it yet as it needs to be furnished and equipment set-up, but they found and rented the space. It's possible.
I think they enjoy the support of MUCH deeper pockets. The have the entire World of DVC behind them, including the largest DVC-specific resale broker, one of the largest (with David's) rental brokers, as well as Monera Financial. WODVC has also launched a title operation too. DUT is an anachronism from a long-gone era of travel.

I am still amazed that they came out of the gate and went directly into a 20 minute sales pitch for Dreams.
See above.

Reactions: 3
I think it was on the patreon aftershow that they mentioned not wanting to change too much until things were finalized for sure (ex: if you change a name on facebook, you can't change it again for 30 days or something like that). That being said, they should have been prepared to launch yesterday, it should have been figured out. Craig couldn't remember his facebook password so a facebook page couldn't change? They're trying to figure out the tiers so we had to wait for them to change the Patreon account? They had three months. We could have waited an extra week if it came down to them needing to figure out these last minute things. I haven't listened to WDWNT but am curious about what others here have recently posted about them and now I'm going to end up watching those videos to see what they have to say (I have an hour commute each way to NYC for work Mon-Fri so this doesn't take much out of my "free time").

Reactions: 12
I'm out until they take some ownership & responsibility. I've watched for years, and I agree with the previous comments here, this was woefully underprepared, they needed to hit this out of the park given the situation. The least they could have done is reiterated their statements, even if that is that there isn't a lot that can be said, to fail to address the elephant in the room is obnoxious. This is like business 101, taking ownership, apologizing, explaining what you will do differently moving forward, and then making that change is like the textbook case study in business courses of how to manage a PR issue.

The tone was completely off, it wasn't fun, and they steamrolled Ryno with the whole news thing. Reminds me of their past host a bit.

Reactions: 18
The tone was completely off, it wasn't fun, and they steamrolled Ryno with the whole news thing. Reminds me of their past host a bit.
Exactly. They have been trying to convince everyone (mostly themselves) that HE was the problem, and none of them are like that. But birds of a feather flock together....

Reactions: 6
and they steamrolled Ryno with the whole news thing
To be fair, Ryno reading everything off about the discounts was terribly dry and boring. He needed to be cut off. I don't think even he wanted to be doing it. But I also don't think he wants to do anything with work 🥱

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It was absolutely dry and boring, and never even should have been a "news story" in the first place. It's also verbatim what John used to do on the shows way too often. And when John cut him off, he basically just went into another dry, boring list.

But the best part was when Ryno said he had cut and pasted everything in the wrong order. So if you can remember what he said, it was probably inaccurate. He only had 3 months to copy and paste one story (that should have been an email).

• Haha
Reactions: 11
It was absolutely dry and boring, and never even should have been a "news story" in the first place. It's also verbatim what John used to do on the shows way too often. And when John cut him off, he basically just went into another dry, boring list.

But the best part was when Ryno said he had cut and pasted everything in the wrong order. So if you can remember what he said, it was probably inaccurate. He only had 3 months to copy and paste one story (that should have been an email).
these people think that is “work”

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Exactly. They have been trying to convince everyone (mostly themselves) that HE was the problem, and none of them are like that. But birds of a feather flock together....
Nailed it.

Also I think Erica brings almost nothing of use, but excluding her was a lousy move. First it would have helped a little bit with the optics. The whole 5 "middle aged to old guys" talking Disney on Zoom looks terrible. Second, Erica was a part of the team before and you didn't fire her, so she should still be part of the team. But you can tell they decided she wasn't good enough to be part of their "Core Five", because they are special. Its the exact sort of "move" that we were told the enablers would do under Pete.

Reactions: 12
Also I think Erica brings almost nothing of use, but excluding her was a lousy move. First it would have helped a little bit with the optics
Can you imagine Erica being on the show with Kevin and John? If it seems like Craig and Ryno don't have any respect for her, can you imagine how Kevin and John would treat her?

• Haha
  • Sad
From comments during videos in the interregnum, I got the feeling Craig and Ryno don't really want to be doing the weekly show format. It really only exists to drive traffic to DUT. Which brings me to my next point: Instead of going through every detail of the discounts available, just give a high-level overview and tell people to reach out to a DUT agent to get more details. If you're giving me all the info I need in the podcast, I can just go book it myself directly through Disney.

From comments during videos in the interregnum, I got the feeling Craig and Ryno don't really want to be doing the weekly show format. It really only exists to drive traffic to DUT. Which brings me to my next point: Instead of going through every detail of the discounts available, just give a high-level overview and tell people to reach out to a DUT agent to get more details. If you're giving me all the info I need in the podcast, I can just go book it myself directly through Disney.
Bingo.

Take for example some of the biggest and most successful travel vloggers (think Kara and Nate, Sailing La Vagabonde, Tips for Travellers), they do a 30 second pitch for their video sponsor, and it's usually in the middle of the video. They give a discount code and cut back to the video. It works. So much so that I use AG1 and Surfshark, and I wouldn't have without hearing about it from Kara and Nate, etc..

John and Kevin need a comprehensive marketing strategy. They need someone who understands SEO and how to use all the ABM tools available to them also. They should be expanding and diversifying instead of reading from the Disney website. SMH.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I haven't listened to WDWNT but am curious about what others here have recently posted about them and now I'm going to end up watching those videos to see what they have to say
I haven’t seen anybody talk about it. WDWNT just started a new podcast and Pete’s name was brought up the other day and Tom said “we’re not going to talk about that”. It really amazes me that the Disney community is protecting Pete. And if it is Disney trying to control the narrative, its kind of disgusting.

Reactions: 7
Well first, thanks for adding interregnum to my vocabulary. :) Sincerely - I love learning new words. Ryno did a livestream on his personal channel last night and someone asked how it went. Overall he didn't seem too excited about it, which made me sad as I want these guys to be excited about the new chapter, but it also makes sense as things didn't go as planned. Anyway, he said he misunderstood the intention and didn't realize that news was supposed to be high-level and he wasn't supposed to read in detail. And to compound that, as he said in the show, he'd accidentally reversed the order of the stories (we've all screwed up like this at one point). I don't place all the blame on Ryno - who communicated what, if he wasn't supposed to read it all, why send it all, and, for the love of god, for this important of a show, it didn't occur to anyone to do a dry-run/dress rehearsal that might have caught things like audio issues, order of stories etc.?? Anyway, it sounds like the intention is to have the news be highlights.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.