The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My depression just hit me out of no where last night. Just couldn’t focus watching TV and started getting panicky. I got an early night and feel a bit better for it. I was in the gym early this morning and that ‘helps’ my MH. Will feel a bit more relief once my work deadline is in as that’s causing me huge anxiety.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Had a really bad day today (I mean everyday is bad but this one was horrendous) .
Couldn’t get myself out of this intense crying and feeling hopeless. I feel really trapped in my life I don’t have any friends my home life is so difficult it’s making me so depressed. I ended up reaching for a bottle of wine and downing the whole thing. I honestly didn’t know what else to do. I feel calmer now but obviously not a good way to cope. Sometimes I feel like the only way I can get through each day is by drinking. It takes me away from this awful life for a few hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I can't remember if it was this thread or the support one that someone suggested a text helpline. If you don't respond do they hound you to check you're ok or is it up to you. I have anxiety when it comes to texting strangers or phone calls

Can I join? The past few days the thought of suicide has been present. I'm massively irritable and wish I could just stay in bed and sleep. I'm a single mum to a 3 year old so can't. She's why I won't kill myself but the thoughts are there. I stopped taking venlafaxine a few months ago as I HATED how it was making me feel. Have taken sertraline, fluoexetine, citalopram in the past. Nothing really seems to stick.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I was feeling ok for a good few months despite all the bad stuff that was happening around me, last few weeks home life has been awful and I've hit the bottle again, don't even want to drink but I know after a few glasses I'll feel relaxed and calm if only for a few hours.

• Heart
I was feeling ok for a good few months despite all the bad stuff that was happening around me, last few weeks home life has been awful and I've hit the bottle again, don't even want to drink but I know after a few glasses I'll feel relaxed and calm if only for a few hours.
I'm sorry you're struggling so much right now.

Do you have support in real life, friends family you could also talk too?

Can I join? The past few days the thought of suicide has been present. I'm massively irritable and wish I could just stay in bed and sleep. I'm a single mum to a 3 year old so can't. She's why I won't kill myself but the thoughts are there. I stopped taking venlafaxine a few months ago as I HATED how it was making me feel. Have taken sertraline, fluoexetine, citalopram in the past. Nothing really seems to stick.
Hey I'm sorry for the late reply. I've been going through the same thing.

Your child will always need their mother. Something I read online from another mother with depression was when she didn't feel well she brought her little one into bed with her too. Her child might have been older, but could you do similar so you could rest a bit too, like bring lots of books or watch a movie in bed?

I always link the charity Maytree, but they really are a wonderful charity. They are still providing email and telephone support. The only thing that gets me through suicidal moments is just to cry it out. You will get through this. Do you have any friends/ family you could call?

I tried sertraline too but didn't like the side effects either.

Are you making sure you're eating?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I'm really struggling at the moment. Not exercising, hardly eating, and my flat is just a mess. Rather than dealing with it, I just spend hours staring at the TV and trying to get some escapism.

• Heart
I'm really struggling at the moment. Not exercising, hardly eating, and my flat is just a mess. Rather than dealing with it, I just spend hours staring at the TV and trying to get some escapism.
The cleaning can honestly wait until later.

I do the same. Watching Youtube videos really brings relief.

I would recommend buying protein shakes or bars, simple minimal fuss needed foods or can you get some ready meals instead?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I can't remember if it was this thread or the support one that someone suggested a text helpline. If you don't respond do they hound you to check you're ok or is it up to you. I have anxiety when it comes to texting strangers or phone calls
Hi - yes that was me.
I have not used the service as am OK at present, but saw it being talked about on twitter by people I see as reliable.
I too share your anxiety of unwanted texts and phone calls. I presume like the Samaritans they don't contact you unsolicited. I got the impression it is all on your terms and at your own pace.
Anyway there is a website for the service so have a look and see what you think.

Giveusashout.org

ETA just looked at the website again and it really does seem you contact them when you need, and will get a free text conversation (obviously if you want) for about 45 mins - an hour discussing your needs, fears etc. They don't check up on you or call back. It really is like a phone call to a helpline but text instead. Which I much prefer. x

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I’ve started taking antidepressants again, just over a week ago. I stopped the previous ones because they weren’t working, to the point where I was so depressed I didn’t even want to try and get better.

I’ve tried about 4 or 5 different kinds over the years, and the ones I’ve just stared (Cymbalta) have helped in the past.
My point is, I’d forgotten about the extreme tiredness as an early side-effect. It’s so frustrating, depression exhausts me so much anyway. I’m trying to remember that after a few weeks it should get better 🤞

• Heart
Sorry guys I don’t want to be rude and drop in on an ongoing conversation, Will go back and read this as I’m sure there will be insights in older posts -

Sounds dumb but have you ever “developed” depression from a foundation of anxiety and poor self esteem? Is that even possible? I’ve always been an anxious person & have taken medicines for it in the past (beta blockers and zopeclone I can’t spell sorry xx) but would never ever see myself as a depressed or sad person overall, like quite the opposite I’m a chronic ppl pleaser which means being fake and happy all the time?? But I’m really struggling at the moment but also think a lot of it is triggered by external things? Like on the one hand I have my internal belief system which ranks myself as pretty low down then there’s situational stuff going on at the mo that feeds into it and compounds it?

I ended up booking a GP appt through Babylon (so it’s not very good tbh - super brief and they don’t know any of your back history) and getting prescribed something she described as half anti anxiety half anti depressant, I’m sooo scared as it is an SSRI and they’re quite stigmatised aren’t they? My husband doesn’t want me to take them but I just want to stop feeling so sensitive and sad about things that are said or happen cos I’m finding it tough at the mo.

Sorry for the stupid post and to be so ignorant, it’s from a place of fear rather than anything else xx

• Heart
Sorry guys I don’t want to be rude and drop in on an ongoing conversation, Will go back and read this as I’m sure there will be insights in older posts -

Sounds dumb but have you ever “developed” depression from a foundation of anxiety and poor self esteem? Is that even possible? I’ve always been an anxious person & have taken medicines for it in the past (beta blockers and zopeclone I can’t spell sorry xx) but would never ever see myself as a depressed or sad person overall, like quite the opposite I’m a chronic ppl pleaser which means being fake and happy all the time?? But I’m really struggling at the moment but also think a lot of it is triggered by external things? Like on the one hand I have my internal belief system which ranks myself as pretty low down then there’s situational stuff going on at the mo that feeds into it and compounds it?

I ended up booking a GP appt through Babylon (so it’s not very good tbh - super brief and they don’t know any of your back history) and getting prescribed something she described as half anti anxiety half anti depressant, I’m sooo scared as it is an SSRI and they’re quite stigmatised aren’t they? My husband doesn’t want me to take them but I just want to stop feeling so sensitive and sad about things that are said or happen cos I’m finding it tough at the mo.

Sorry for the stupid post and to be so ignorant, it’s from a place of fear rather than anything else xx
Hey lovely. First of all, please don’t apologise, you have no reason to.
I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this, it sounds so demoralising. I’m not an expert and I’m sure others will be able to give a better answer, but I think depression can develop from any number of things, and it makes sense that anxiety and poor self esteem would bring it on. It’s an exhausting combination and it would be hard not to let that get on top of you.
I don’t want to “me-rail” but I’ve never seen myself as a sad or depressed person either, I don’t think suffering from depression is a reflection of someone’s personality. I kind of think of myself when I’m not depressed as “the real me” because my depressed mind is so different to what I’m really like. I’m usually so happy and easily amused but at the moment nothing makes me happy and that’s when I know somethings wrong.

If you feel comfortable with it I think you should give the medication a try. I totally understand the fear of it being stigmatised but you don’t have to tell everyone about it. But it’s so worth giving it a try. When I first took Prozac/fluoxetine years ago, I was so apprehensive but it probably saved my life.
Whatever you decide I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you, and you can always get things off your chest on this thread.

• Heart
Hey lovely. First of all, please don’t apologise, you have no reason to.
I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this, it sounds so demoralising. I’m not an expert and I’m sure others will be able to give a better answer, but I think depression can develop from any number of things, and it makes sense that anxiety and poor self esteem would bring it on. It’s an exhausting combination and it would be hard not to let that get on top of you.
I don’t want to “me-rail” but I’ve never seen myself as a sad or depressed person either, I don’t think suffering from depression is a reflection of someone’s personality. I kind of think of myself when I’m not depressed as “the real me” because my depressed mind is so different to what I’m really like. I’m usually so happy and easily amused but at the moment nothing makes me happy and that’s when I know somethings wrong.

If you feel comfortable with it I think you should give the medication a try. I totally understand the fear of it being stigmatised but you don’t have to tell everyone about it. But it’s so worth giving it a try. When I first took Prozac/fluoxetine years ago, I was so apprehensive but it probably saved my life.
Whatever you decide I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you, and you can always get things off your chest on this thread.
Thank you, it sounds so silly but it means a lot coming from “a familiar face”?? ❤

YES you articulated it perfectly thank you. You’re so right, personality is separate from mental health and that’s definitely why I’m struggling to believe I “need” the prescription cos I feel like I’m a happy smiley person so whatevs doesn’t matter?

I’ve been given sertraline which I’m too scared to even google tbh. I am scared it’ll make me withdrawn as I do a lot of 1:1 play and learning stuff with 👶🏼. I just need some way of not getting so upset by everything until I can do well with my CBT again really.

Thank you for listening it’s so kind and appreciated x

• Heart
Thank you, it sounds so silly but it means a lot coming from “a familiar face”?? ❤

YES you articulated it perfectly thank you. You’re so right, personality is separate from mental health and that’s definitely why I’m struggling to believe I “need” the prescription cos I feel like I’m a happy smiley person so whatevs doesn’t matter?

I’ve been given sertraline which I’m too scared to even google tbh. I am scared it’ll make me withdrawn as I do a lot of 1:1 play and learning stuff with 👶🏼. I just need some way of not getting so upset by everything until I can do well with my CBT again really.

Thank you for listening it’s so kind and appreciated x
Aww I know what you mean!

I‘m glad you can see it that way, because then hopefully it makes it easier for you to be ok with seeking help. It’s such a cliche but there are people I know in real life who have struggled with depression and/or serious mental health problems, and almost all of them are “life and soul of the party” kind of people, you would just never guess.

I only realised after posting that you shouldn’t feel pressured into taking medication! Especially with a young baby. I’ve never taken sertraline but with other antidepressants, any negative side effects are just for the first few weeks. But you should ask about other options too, I totally understand you wouldn’t feel up to CBT just now, but there might be other kinds of counselling or therapy that could help.

There are also some good self-help books, the “overcoming“ series is recommended by a lot of doctors. I’ve read one of them in the past which was really helpful, but I’ve tried to read the depression one recently and just can’t focus 🙃
https://overcoming.co.uk/

You‘re welcome. It’s a huge thing to realise you need help, to ask for it, and to be able to talk about it, it all takes a lot of strength and (I mean this in a genuine, not patronising way) you should be proud of yourself x

• Heart
Since going on sertraline i feel like i have some kind of clarity over things when i was a kid. Im remembering stuff, seeing things clearly and starting difficult conversations with family.

Now i dont know what to do

Is this normal to happen? Its like my brain is defragging and putting all my misery in order to work though.

Do i need to speak to someone?

Its come to light, what I put down as just not liking a parent, actually was neglect and abuse. I feel validated in the sense of it being acknowledged BUT i feel like the genie has been let out, and the family members who confirmed this seem to be talking about me as a child as if i was some other person. There's no connection for them between that scared child and this anxious depressed adult. 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I haven't achieved much today at all. I spent most of it crying because of having to deal with accommodation issues.

I hope it's okay to post a few links to some groups offering low cost therapy. I think it would also be okay to email a few at the same time as they all have different waiting lists, some from a month others 2-3.

There's more on the list below too:

Hello lovely people, how are you doing?

I’m really struggling at the moment. Therapy has helped me loads, I thought I was on the mend and it was decided I’d taper my dose and eventually discontinue Prozac. It’s been 6 days and I’m not doing as swell as I thought I would be. Just feel like crying all of the time and can’t make myself do stuff so I’m procrastinating. I’m also very lonely despite being surrounded by people and am worried about possible weight loss so eating very little too.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hello lovely people, how are you doing?

I’m really struggling at the moment. Therapy has helped me loads, I thought I was on the mend and it was decided I’d taper my dose and eventually discontinue Prozac. It’s been 6 days and I’m not doing as swell as I thought I would be. Just feel like crying all of the time and can’t make myself do stuff so I’m procrastinating. I’m also very lonely despite being surrounded by people and am worried about possible weight loss so eating very little too.
I'm sorry you're struggling. Medication tappers should always be done super slowly and ideally with extra support in place. Some people need a minimum time frame of 6+ months. What was your original dose and how much did you decrease your dosage by

Drinking milk is good for calories when you don't feel like eating. Can you get some ready meals so don't have to faff about with cooking?

• Heart
Since going on sertraline i feel like i have some kind of clarity over things when i was a kid. Im remembering stuff, seeing things clearly and starting difficult conversations with family.

Now i dont know what to do

Is this normal to happen? Its like my brain is defragging and putting all my misery in order to work though.

Do i need to speak to someone?

Its come to light, what I put down as just not liking a parent, actually was neglect and abuse. I feel validated in the sense of it being acknowledged BUT i feel like the genie has been let out, and the family members who confirmed this seem to be talking about me as a child as if i was some other person. There's no connection for them between that scared child and this anxious depressed adult. 😔
I’m so sorry you’ve been through that, and that it’s coming back to you in this way now. I can’t even imagine how painful it would feel.
I think you should speak to someone yes, as long as you feel comfortable doing so. It sounds like it’s a lot for one person to deal with, and you deserve good help and support to process it x

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Have you tried mirtazapine? Sertraline, fluoxetine and citalopram are all SSRIs and venlafaxine is an SNRI but mirtazapine is an antidepressant of the "other" subtype so may be worth a go. It's quite sedating but less so at higher doses (strangely).

I hope you are okay otherwise, anyway. Suicidal thoughts can be incredibly debilitating. In some cases (in my experience) it can almost feel worse when you have protective factors (like your 3 year old) because it can increase the feeling of being trapped. But I promise you it can and will get better. x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.