The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you, it sounds so silly but it means a lot coming from “a familiar face”?? ❤

YES you articulated it perfectly thank you. You’re so right, personality is separate from mental health and that’s definitely why I’m struggling to believe I “need” the prescription cos I feel like I’m a happy smiley person so whatevs doesn’t matter?

I’ve been given sertraline which I’m too scared to even google tbh. I am scared it’ll make me withdrawn as I do a lot of 1:1 play and learning stuff with 👶🏼. I just need some way of not getting so upset by everything until I can do well with my CBT again really.

Thank you for listening it’s so kind and appreciated x
Sertraline can be a brilliant drug. It is "activating" so is not likely to make you withdrawn. Hope all goes well for you!

Reactions: 1
I'm sorry you're struggling. Medication tappers should always be done super slowly and ideally with extra support in place. Some people need a minimum time frame of 6+ months. What was your original dose and how much did you decrease your dosage by

Drinking milk is good for calories when you don't feel like eating. Can you get some ready meals so don't have to faff about with cooking?
Thank you so much for your comment and advice, I appreciate it a lot 😊🥰 My original dose was 40 mg and it was planned that I would lower it to 20 mg a day, then 20 mg every other day and so on. We’ve talked it through and it just looks I need to taper super slowly, even slowly that I’d previously thought.

I am afraid I can’t quite afford to quit cooking altogether, but I’m trying to meal plan as much as possible and eat simple dishes that don’t take much time to prepare. Thank you once again, that was very helpful!

Reactions: 1
Someone close to me is depressed. Do I step back and leave them to come to me or do I carry on talking to them as normal?

Someone close to me is depressed. Do I step back and leave them to come to me or do I carry on talking to them as normal?
It's a tricky one.

I was going through a rough patch as I was recently put on antidepressants and they can make you feel worse for a couple of weeks, and you get bad side effects

I'm seeing someone and things aren't really serious, but I did tell him what was going on with me

He checked in with me, still talked to me etc. But I was conscious not to offload onto him, too. There was one night which was bad and he just talked it through with me.

I don't think it was too taxing on him as it was only a couple of weeks, and now on the pills my wobbles are nowhere near as bad so I'm quite chill - I think it'd be a different story if it was long-term like that

If all of that sounds like too much effort though, I'd suggest you distance yourself for your own mental well-being

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It's a tricky one.

I was going through a rough patch as I was recently put on antidepressants and they can make you feel worse for a couple of weeks, and you get bad side effects

I'm seeing someone and things aren't really serious, but I did tell him what was going on with me

He checked in with me, still talked to me etc. But I was conscious not to offload onto him, too. There was one night which was bad and he just talked it through with me.

I don't think it was too taxing on him as it was only a couple of weeks, and now on the pills my wobbles are nowhere near as bad so I'm quite chill - I think it'd be a different story if it was long-term like that

If all of that sounds like too much effort though, I'd suggest you distance yourself for your own mental well-being
Thank you for replying. He tells me how he’s feeling etc and he’s adamant he wants me to stay around but it’s really dragging me down.

Thank you for replying. He tells me how he’s feeling etc and he’s adamant he wants me to stay around but it’s really dragging me down.
I'm sorry to hear that, it's hard.

If it was me, I'd reduce how much I communicated and see how that goes... Maybe take a little longer to reply, or just say you need space etc.

I get you want to support them, but it shouldn't be detrimental to yourself

• Heart
I'm sorry to hear that, it's hard.

If it was me, I'd reduce how much I communicated and see how that goes... Maybe take a little longer to reply, or just say you need space etc.

I get you want to support them, but it shouldn't be detrimental to yourself
I’ve tried to step away and then he will have a good day and things will be good and I’ll have to switch on/off depending on his mood. At the moment I’m just switching off completely because I think he should be on his own if he’s going to be like this and I’m drained.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Have just had a little read of this thread from the beginning, hoping to find an answer without having to bother u guys with a post.

What an insightful and supportive bunch u all r!

Does anyone have anything that has worked for them in terms of not feeling exhausted all the time? I am flat 99% of the time and find absolutely no enjoyment in anything. I have been this way for yearssss. I go on holidays, have a nice car, decent flat, husband, career, perfect dog. On paper I should be happy as larry but in reality i am utterly miserable, lonely and in despair.

I have tried Sertraline (3 years ago) for a couple of months but didn’t feel any different so stopped.

I have been going to psychotherapy once a week for a year. It has been amazing at helping me understand certain things relating to past trauma but i still feel as depressed as ever. My therapy is due to end in a weeks time so am not looking forward to that at all.

Is it too much to ask to be able to wake up in the morning feeling refreshed, able to get up and go?!😭

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Have just had a little read of this thread from the beginning, hoping to find an answer without having to bother u guys with a post.

What an insightful and supportive bunch u all r!

Does anyone have anything that has worked for them in terms of not feeling exhausted all the time? I am flat 99% of the time and find absolutely no enjoyment in anything. I have been this way for yearssss. I go on holidays, have a nice car, decent flat, husband, career, perfect dog. On paper I should be happy as larry but in reality i am utterly miserable, lonely and in despair.

I have tried Sertraline (3 years ago) for a couple of months but didn’t feel any different so stopped.

I have been going to psychotherapy once a week for a year. It has been amazing at helping me understand certain things relating to past trauma but i still feel as depressed as ever. My therapy is due to end in a weeks time so am not looking forward to that at all.

Is it too much to ask to be able to wake up in the morning feeling refreshed, able to get up and go?!😭
Unfortunately even on antidepressants you still go through the same stuff just less severe

I thought I was doing well. I got on top of things this week, had energy, thought the antidepressants were working but I've just had a big cry out of nowhere and now I am struggling with anxiety.

Urgh.

• Heart
I feel really awful today. Like really down in the dumps. I'm tired and I've been awake with the baby since 5am. He's having a nap now and I've just got back in bed to lie there feeling sorry for myself. It's the first day this week the weather is alright for once but I cant even bring myself to open the blinds let alone go outside. I feel awful when I'm like this, like awful Mum guilt that I don't feel happy enough to take him anyway because I feel so down

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I feel really awful today. Like really down in the dumps. I'm tired and I've been awake with the baby since 5am. He's having a nap now and I've just got back in bed to lie there feeling sorry for myself. It's the first day this week the weather is alright for once but I cant even bring myself to open the blinds let alone go outside. I feel awful when I'm like this, like awful Mum guilt that I don't feel happy enough to take him anyway because I feel so down
Please don't beat yourself up over it x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
i’ve felt so awful for the last two weeks- i feel so lonely and low and just jealous of everyone. i feel awful because on paper my life is great- i have amazing friends and family, a well paid job and there are people who would love my life but i just can’t feel happy. i just feel numb to everything and so guilty that i can’t just be grateful for what i have.

• Heart
I’m done with living. I’m so bleeping sick of waking up every single day. I literally have nothing worth living for. Apparently my mental health issues are a joke, and it’s my own fault I can’t keep friends. No one knows what I’ve been through and what’s happened in my life.
No one cares, not even my doctor. So I just think it would be better if I gave up trying to care for myself anymore.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I’m done with living. I’m so bleeping sick of waking up every single day. I literally have nothing worth living for. Apparently my mental health issues are a joke, and it’s my own fault I can’t keep friends. No one knows what I’ve been through and what’s happened in my life.
No one cares, not even my doctor. So I just think it would be better if I gave up trying to care for myself anymore.

I'm sorry you are feeling so awful. Have you tried calling the Samaritans? You sound pretty desperate and they are there to listen. Please give them a call. You sound like you need to talk to someone. Don't give up. Things won't always be this bad. Hope you get some support soon. Please take care of yourself.

• Heart
Hi, you don't have to see GP
You can walk into any A&E dept and tell them you're not well and you get to see the CMHT (crisis mental health team) straight away.
Let us know you're okay??

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve been reading this thread for a while, and can say that every single post and person here has resonated with me.

I posted a thread myself a while back, and was overwhelmed by the support and understanding I received (I fully expected to be to told to give my head a good shake!) At the time, I was struggling a lot with guilt and embarrassment at my behaviour, with regards to when I was really poorly last year.

Since then I’ve had an ‘introductory’ course of CBT, but now am waiting for the real McCoy, but that could take months.
I’ve been feeling very ‘flat’ recently, so decided this week to go back on Fluoxetine. I took myself off it back in February, after a year long course (the longest I’ve ever gone taking antidepressants).

I’m not sure what I’m trying to get from this post, just musing I guess. I seriously wonder though if I will ever know, what it’s like to fully feel happiness again. I’m the definition of ‘going through the motions’.

Can I ask; what do others do or have found useful in their pursuit to ‘appease’ your Depression?

• Heart
Hope youre ok. Ive found with my own situation no one can understand what youve been through and your emotions. Understanding this has been quite healing for me, although I am lucky to have a GP who does care and wants me to feel better.

Living with depression is absolutely exhausting. But you've got through every day so far. When I felt like I didnt want to be here the 1 thing that kept me going was "what IF if gets better..."
Its not perfect by any stretch, I still have my ups and downs and this year I finally relented and went on sertraline. but it is getting easier. Im forgiving myself for my behaviours, i am allowing myself to live a life i deserve.

Most of my friends dont get it, they just think im miserable and ive lost many along the way. Can you maybe think of 1 thing you could do for yourself and appreciate the effort you have made? When i was rock bottom, a bath or a walk in the park was that for me

• Heart
I’ve been reading this thread for a while, and can say that every single post and person here has resonated with me.

I posted a thread myself a while back, and was overwhelmed by the support and understanding I received (I fully expected to be to told to give my head a good shake!) At the time, I was struggling a lot with guilt and embarrassment at my behaviour, with regards to when I was really poorly last year.

Since then I’ve had an ‘introductory’ course of CBT, but now am waiting for the real McCoy, but that could take months.
I’ve been feeling very ‘flat’ recently, so decided this week to go back on Fluoxetine. I took myself off it back in February, after a year long course (the longest I’ve ever gone taking antidepressants).

I’m not sure what I’m trying to get from this post, just musing I guess. I seriously wonder though if I will ever know, what it’s like to fully feel happiness again. I’m the definition of ‘going through the motions’.

Can I ask; what do others do or have found useful in their pursuit to ‘appease’ your Depression?
One of the things that I have found most useful of late is self compassion. If its not something that you have come across and you are interested in finding out more this is a good place to start:

• Heart
I so appreciate this thread. I have suffered with OCD / depression since I was very little and have been medicated the last 15 years or so on various drugs, which, quite frankly, have helped me be alive today.

I feel like my moods fluctuate so drastically, and for no real reason, to extremes. The past few days I have felt like a cloud follows me around all day and the world feels so ... heavy.

I'm not quite sure how everyone manages to live life so confidently, when I feel like I'm treading water. The pandemic, living alone, and trash heap that is dating in 2021 truly has me wondering how a future in such conditions is sustainable -- what's more, I live away from home, and if I reach out just to express I'm struggling their go-to line is MOVE HOME. But sadly, they're the ones who make me most unsettled and who drove me to such anxiety.

It's all very scary so I want to really just say thank you for listening and sending love to all those suffering.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.