The Depression Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m not sure how much more I can take? I feel such overwhelm. I feel so alone in all my thoughts.
I have so much going on all at once and it all feels to much to near.
So much uncertainty.

I had a bereavement before Christmas that knocked me for six, coming from a dysfunctional family it’s unbelievable how family members act at a time when people, family should come together.

I’m not sleeping particularly well. I’ve had nightmares. Which isn’t helping my mood. I feel so down.

If I could sleep all day I would. I feel stuck and powerless. I feel no future.

I feel like life is so uncertain and I feel scared. Has anybody experienced this before?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
@Good Egg I’m sorry for what you are going through. I think most of us on this thread have felt some of what you describe. It’s such a very hard place to be, especially as you look around to what “should” be your natural supports (friends, family) and find it lacking. I think, personally, fear and uncertainty is a big factor in depression. Humans are wired to react to fear and the unknown creates an unsettling feeling. But when it’s long term and unresolved, it wears on us and can create those feelings you describe. Lack of sleep and nightmares and your recent loss adds to it. Would you consider talking to a dr about it? If only for a short term solution to help you get some rest and feel a bit better?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
@Good Egg I’m sorry for what you are going through. I think most of us on this thread have felt some of what you describe. It’s such a very hard place to be, especially as you look around to what “should” be your natural supports (friends, family) and find it lacking. I think, personally, fear and uncertainty is a big factor in depression. Humans are wired to react to fear and the unknown creates an unsettling feeling. But when it’s long term and unresolved, it wears on us and can create those feelings you describe. Lack of sleep and nightmares and your recent loss adds to it. Would you consider talking to a dr about it? If only for a short term solution to help you get some rest and feel a bit better?
Thank you for replying. I think I do need some extra support but even asking for it seems the most difficult step and terrifiying scary. I did make a GP appointment a few months back. It’s hard to explain how I’m feeling. It’s like I’m freefalling and I’ve lost all control? (I know I haven’t but it’s how I feel)

I need to be at work early tomorrow and I’m so tempted to call in sick. Thank you for replying to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It’s like I’m freefalling and I’ve lost all control?
Those are the exact words you need to use.

I know it feels terrifying, but I promise they will have heard it - and more - before.

Grief is a monster on its own, without any other mental health challenges lurking.

You deserve support xxx

• Heart
Thank you for replying. I think I do need some extra support but even asking for it seems the most difficult step and terrifiying scary. I did make a GP appointment a few months back. It’s hard to explain how I’m feeling. It’s like I’m freefalling and I’ve lost all control? (I know I haven’t but it’s how I feel)
Oh I know. It’s so draining just getting through a day, and the thought of picking up a phone and making an appointment and actually attending said appointment can feel like just too much. Just take the first step. Would it help to think of it as something you wouldn’t hesitate to do to help a friend? Make a call on their behalf if they were in need? You need to be that friend for yourself.

You don’t need to have all the right words, but the ones you’ve used here are a perfect place to start.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi lovelies, hope everyone is managing somehow to keep going despite the tit days.

I haven’t posted much on here under this name but did under @Pollyanna263
Long story but had to start a new account, and was avoiding posting on here for various reasons. Have given myself a talking to and am trying to engage here a bit more as the lovely people here definitely helped me feel less alone ❤

I’ve finally after much longer than anticipated swapped from Venlafaxine to Amitriptyline and am on day 5 of no ven plus 100mg amitrip. Bloody hell it’s a tit mix of withdrawal and new side effects 😭

Has anyone here taken Amitriptyline? I’m struggling from early afternoon and I’m trying to work out if it’s the Amitrip wearing off, as I’m taking it at night - so logically I’m thinking by this time of day when I’m feeling spaced out / headache / blurred vision / increased heart rate it might be that wearing off?

Just hoping to sense check with anyone else that might have experienced the same - or with a different tricyclic antid.

Sorry for the long post 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi lovelies, hope everyone is managing somehow to keep going despite the tit days.

Long story but had to start a new account, and was avoiding posting on here for various reasons. Have given myself a talking to and am trying to engage here a bit more as the lovely people here definitely helped me feel less alone ❤

I’ve finally after much longer than anticipated swapped from Venlafaxine to Amitriptyline and am on day 5 of no ven plus 100mg amitrip. Bloody hell it’s a tit mix of withdrawal and new side effects 😭

Has anyone here taken Amitriptyline? I’m struggling from early afternoon and I’m trying to work out if it’s the Amitrip wearing off, as I’m taking it at night - so logically I’m thinking by this time of day when I’m feeling spaced out / headache / blurred vision / increased heart rate it might be that wearing off?

Just hoping to sense check with anyone else that might have experienced the same - or with a different tricyclic antid.

Hi lovely, I was wondering about you, haven't seen you post for ages.
I was on amitriptyline for a while, really didn't suit me, wasn't on it for long, but the withdrawal from it was awful.
Am on 30 mg citalopram, it levels me out if you know what I mean .

• Heart

Hello lovely just saw your post on here. I’ve suffered depression on and off from childhood after my brother died and have felt suicidal in the past. I was originally put on Dosulepin which worked for me but was pulled from shelves because of heart concerns, although many argued it worked for them and they’d been fine on it for many years without any problems. I was then put on various anti depressants, including Amitriptyline and they all made me feel so much worse, like a headless chicken and I said never again would I try another one. Then a new GP suggested I try one more anti depressant Mirtazapine 15mg, but break the tablet in half and just have 7.5mg, or even a quarter until my body got used to it. I was reluctant at first but wish I‘d tried that one before as I didn’t have any headless chicken feelings, just tiredness. It’s also used for anxiety so helps calm you. I’m not on anything now but I wouldn’t hesitate to go on that again as it worked wonders for me but I appreciate it’s not for everyone but thought it worth sharing. I hope you find something that works for you ASAP 💕

Also important to note to MH sufferers, many medications (as well as stress) including contraceptive pill/HRT, anti depressants etc can deplete vital nutrients/vitamins/minerals making you even more susceptible to depression and anxiety. So making sure you get enough of the nutrients depleted can also make a big difference, I’ve found that from firsthand experience and a lot of research over the years.

Last edited:
I am trying so hard to ride this out but I can't do anything. I've spent three days just sitting, not doing much. I haven't even been able to do my washing which has been sitting in the washer for two days. 😭

Also important to note to MH sufferers, many medications (as well as stress) including contraceptive pill/HRT, anti depressants etc can deplete vital nutrients/vitamins/minerals making you even more susceptible to depression and anxiety. So making sure you get enough of the nutrients depleted can also make a big difference, I’ve found that from firsthand experience and a lot of research over the years.
Yes! One of my medications depletes my vitamins so much. I still get unwell incredibly easily despite taking supplements for about a year now. It's important for physical health too, getting sick often adds to my depression and motivation. Especially in winter too when most people are low on vitamin D.

I am trying so hard to ride this out but I can't do anything. I've spent three days just sitting, not doing much. I haven't even been able to do my washing which has been sitting in the washer for two days. 😭

Yes! One of my medications depletes my vitamins so much. I still get unwell incredibly easily despite taking supplements for about a year now. It's important for physical health too, getting sick often adds to my depression and motivation. Especially in winter too when most people are low on vitamin D.
You probably already know this but if you don’t be sure you‘re getting enough magnesium because your body needs magnesium to absorb and regulate vitamin D and vitamin D depletes magnesium. I take a spray vitamin D especially in the winter months. Also people taking a multi-vitamin will assume they get enough Magnesium but it’s often a very small dose in a multivit. As with everything check it’s right for you.
Lots about the importance of magnesium online

Vitamin C, B’s, omega 3 are some other ones that come to mind where stress/depression are concerned. Vitamin C and B‘s are also depleted by stress and being water soluble the body doesn’t store it, so we need to supply our bodies with it everyday, even more so at stressful times.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
I just tonight accepted I need help 😭😭😭
---

I'm so scared I don't no where to start
Big hug. There’s so many of us here who have gone through the same process, you are not alone. Get an emergency appointment at the GP. I was terrified too about asking for help, but my GP was so supportive and I only wish I had gone sooner. X

I was diagnosed with endogenous depression at the age of 12. I'm currently on the combined pill under investigation for adneomyosis, it helps with the pain but I've never really got on with any hormonal medication . My mood has severely dipped I'm struggling with motivation big time and I've had a few intrusive thoughts. I'm just on 50mg Sertraline now I'm thinking maybe I should increase and ask the doctors. I think I want hysterectomy to avoid the hormones but they won't allow it as I'm 29.

• Sad
@Jwren, I've been reading the Nicole Bulley thread, haven't commented on it, but wanted to wish you and @LennyBriscoe all the best and thank you for sharing, that must have taken alot xx

• Heart
@Jwren, I've been reading the Nicole Bulley thread, haven't commented on it, but wanted to wish you and @LennyBriscoe all the best and thank you for sharing, that must have taken alot xx
So sorry I’ve only just seen your comment. Bless your ❤ and thank you so much for your kind words, they are much appreciated xx

• Heart
Don't know where to start tbh, I had a good week for me last week, then it went tits up over the weekend, I've ended up staying in the bed today, apart from taking my dog out, it's no wonder I'm a pessimist, something always bite you in the arse.

• Heart
Don't know where to start tbh, I had a good week for me last week, then it went tits up over the weekend, I've ended up staying in the bed today, apart from taking my dog out, it's no wonder I'm a pessimist, something always bite you in the arse.
Flip that around - I took the dog out today ❤

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.