The Depression Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m on it and have been for a while (no idea how long, lost all sense of time! But over a year)

I have gained weight but I honestly can’t tell you whether it’s the mirtazapine or just because of my disordered eating. It did make me more hungry, so I tried to make sure I had sensible snacks ready so I didn’t eat (even more) crap.

I find I fall asleep about an hour to an hour and a half after taking it. It’s gentle wave of sleep, which was much needed.
Before, I just wouldn’t sleep, I’d sit up until the early hours feeling more and more awake so it was added to help me sleep.

I have nightmares regularly due to PTSD anyway and the mirt definitely didn’t make them any worse.

I haven’t had an increase in suicidal thoughts if anything sleeping more eased that side of things a little.

I’m in the process of weaning off at the moment because my psych wants me to swap my meds (I’m on 3 different ones and he wants to rein that in a bit!) and what worries me most is will I be able to fall asleep without mirtazapine.

Sorry that’s so long.
Give it 2-3 weeks for side effects to settle, but I didn’t find them too bad.
Obviously it’s different for everyone, but truly it helped me. Good luck ❤
Thank you so much for your reply, it’s really reassuring to read. ❤

I’m a big snacker, so worried about an increased appetite but willing to give this a go at a chance of a normal sleeping pattern and routine. Glad it eased sleep for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm on it - I did gain a little bit of weight and it made me crave sugar like crazy! But as a chronic insomniac for over 30 years I'll take a few extra pounds and a trip to the sweet shop for the sake of getting some sleep for a change. I don't sleep every night but it's definitely better than it was

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So after a really bad time I did post in here about it all the other week. Things improved I felt happy and normal for a change and just like usual I get hit again. Does anyone else feel its 1 step forward and then 100 back again.

So today had a call from Daughters school all they said was I need to come in with meeting with the head. Okay booked it in for Monday all they said was it was due to her behaviour. Then the anxiety kicked in had a massive panic attack First one in a while. Called school back the head called me back a short while later to expand on the little information they gave me. Anyways turns out she sent nasty voice notes to another child (turns out it wasn't her but her friend used her phone) I've spoke to her and she got a right telling off. And the head is concerned about her relationship/making friends side of things.

Told her dad (my ex who's a narcissist who abused me for a long time in every shape of form) of course gave him all Information I had at this point for him say did you not ask question what she did, doesn't sound like something she do blab blah blah) I turned and said both children are turning into children I don't like nor have i taught them to behave in this way (my eldest I've had police involvement as his now assulted me a few times again no support from his dad. He will often ask my son what I've done to piss him off 🥴) and of course after the comment I made of they turning into not very nice children his reply was not like that with me. Well of course not you have them 48hrs every other week ffs. 4nights a month to me having them every other time is the same isn't it 🙄

Ended the conversation there as it goes round in circles because his a useless twit. But I so crave that parent partnership my sis and brother have with thier exs I know I will never get it but I spend 14 nearly 15years with this man and the lack support and respect I get is such a hard pill to swallow especially when I'm always the bad guy.

Sorry for the massive rant needed to get it off my chest. As once again I feel like I'm sinking once a bloody again.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
New account for anonymity. Pity party time. I think I've suffered from depression since my early teens, now nearing 40 I've been to ashamed to admit it. I was the main carer for my older brother and father growing up from around the age of 11 to 23. My mother also suffered from depression because of caring for my father. Money was also tight. I missed out on so much growing up, going out with friends, going on holidays, generally just keeping up. I was overweight and just shut myself off because girls my age were so nasty.

This was all while my other 2 siblings were enjoying life and sharing very little responsibility for the situation at home. Maybe that was their escape.

Both my brother and father passed away, thinking of their lives and what they suffered, my brother his whole life - 25 years and my father 10 years - depresses me even more. Both my mother and father suffered very hard lives.

I often feel like there's no point in anything, just plodding along in life and everything is so very pointless. I married a man (arranged - was given an ultimatum) who used me for a visa. He's always been manipulative. Whole marriage has just been secrets and lies. He even had an affair while I was pregnant with my youngest.

He was recently away for a few months and I was alone with the kids and actually for the first time in my marriage, 18 years felt like I could breath.

Everybody is so happy in their lives, moving forward. I can't muster the energy to get out of bed. I do it, plod along with the daily routine.

Everybody including my family are so quick to pick me and decisions apart any chance they get. I truly feel broken and beyond repair. I feel like I have achieved nothing in life. I've never gotten anything I've wanted and I have tried, tried so hard but now I've just given up.

• Heart
New account for anonymity. Pity party time. I think I've suffered from depression since my early teens, now nearing 40 I've been to ashamed to admit it. I was the main carer for my older brother and father growing up from around the age of 11 to 23. My mother also suffered from depression because of caring for my father. Money was also tight. I missed out on so much growing up, going out with friends, going on holidays, generally just keeping up. I was overweight and just shut myself off because girls my age were so nasty.

This was all while my other 2 siblings were enjoying life and sharing very little responsibility for the situation at home. Maybe that was their escape.

Both my brother and father passed away, thinking of their lives and what they suffered, my brother his whole life - 25 years and my father 10 years - depresses me even more. Both my mother and father suffered very hard lives.

I often feel like there's no point in anything, just plodding along in life and everything is so very pointless. I married a man (arranged - was given an ultimatum) who used me for a visa. He's always been manipulative. Whole marriage has just been secrets and lies. He even had an affair while I was pregnant with my youngest.

He was recently away for a few months and I was alone with the kids and actually for the first time in my marriage, 18 years felt like I could breath.

Everybody is so happy in their lives, moving forward. I can't muster the energy to get out of bed. I do it, plod along with the daily routine.

Everybody including my family are so quick to pick me and decisions apart any chance they get. I truly feel broken and beyond repair. I feel like I have achieved nothing in life. I've never gotten anything I've wanted and I have tried, tried so hard but now I've just given up.
Welcome. Firstly, you have not achieved nothing in life. You have welcomed new life into the world and nurtured it in the form of your children, you also cared for you father and brother when they needed you the most. Feeling like this does not take any of that away from you.
Would you feel able to speak to your GP? Get yourself on the pathway to help. Perhaps even some medication to take the edge off of your feelings whilst you work on everything else?
Alternatively, I’m not sure where you are in the world but would you be able to self refer to your local mental health team?
Your mental health is nothing to be ashamed of. You wouldn’t hide a broken arm for all these years and not ask for help to fix it.
We are all behind you xx

• Heart
MillionDollarBab has given good advice which would be good to follow. Depressed people all seem to feel guilty about being depressed. We're highly sensitive to what other people think, but I feel there comes a time when you just have to say 'sod them'. You seem to have reached rock bottom. Being hopeless means you've nothing to lose by being selfish. Look after you for a change and say 'I’m not doing this anymore; I’m not living my life for anyone else'. Get help and don't feel pressured into fitting into society.

(Everybody including my family are so quick to pick me and decisions apart any chance they get. I truly feel broken and beyond repair. I feel like I have achieved nothing in life. I've never gotten anything I've wanted and I have tried, tried so hard but now I've just given up.)
[/QUOTE]

• Heart
Hi everyone,

First time poster so hopefully I'm doing this correctly.

My boyfriend of 2 years who is severely depressed has broken up with me this week. I'm not sure what I'm looking for writing this but it may be cathartic to just type it out. He stopped seeing a therapist last year as his therapist left and he never got reassigned (through the public system). Contacting the office and/or GP was too much for him no matter how much I encouraged it. He said that he feels so unhappy all the time and that there's nothing that can help. He explained that he was a bad partner and couldn't give me the time, attention and engagement that I deserve. And although that may be true sometimes I was still incredibly happy with him and I feel completely broken.

I can't imagine not being with him. The day after we broke up I stayed with a friend and he rang me in tears apologising for hurting me and was talking about harming himself. I panicked and rang two friends to check on him as I was a bit further away. We also work together and he completely defines himself by his work. He has been under severe pressure recently and I can't remember a day in the last 2/3 months when he hasn't worked (including weekends). I always tried to be supportive and had meals ready and cleaned to house etc. to try and ease some pressure which I didn't mind doing. He said this week that the more nice things I did the more guilty he feels. I feel like there's no winning.

I am completely lost and love him so much. He is the most kind, gentle and caring person.

Thank you to anyone that reads this

• Heart
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend of 2 years who is severely depressed has broken up with me this week. I'm not sure what I'm looking for writing this but it may be cathartic to just type it out. He stopped seeing a therapist last year as his therapist left and he never got reassigned (through the public system). Contacting the office and/or GP was too much for him no matter how much I encouraged it. He said that he feels so unhappy all the time and that there's nothing that can help. He explained that he was a bad partner and couldn't give me the time, attention and engagement that I deserve. And although that may be true sometimes I was still incredibly happy with him and I feel completely broken.

I can't imagine not being with him. The day after we broke up I stayed with a friend and he rang me in tears apologising for hurting me and was talking about harming himself. I panicked and rang two friends to check on him as I was a bit further away. We also work together and he completely defines himself by his work. He has been under severe pressure recently and I can't remember a day in the last 2/3 months when he hasn't worked (including weekends). I always tried to be supportive and had meals ready and cleaned to house etc. to try and ease some pressure which I didn't mind doing. He said this week that the more nice things I did the more guilty he feels. I feel like there's no winning.

I am completely lost and love him so much. He is the most kind, gentle and caring person.

So sorry you're both going through such a difficult time. Depression affects self esteem so much that it sounds like he seems to think he's doing you a favour to end the relationship rather than burdening you. It doesn't sound like his decision to end the relationship has come from a bad place but rather trying to protect you. Is he receiving any support for his depression?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi everyone,

I’m so sorry to read this. I had a breakup in February that had some similarities. My heart goes out to you. There is no pain like it. I read a phrase in the book “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed once (after another devastating breakup of a multi year relationship 🤦🏼‍♀️) that talked about “almost levitating from the pain” and I was like yep, I totally get that.

You will get through it, but at the same time, I know that’s not much comfort at the moment.

Just sending you so much love. You are not alone. ❤

• Heart
So after a really bad time I did post in here about it all the other week. Things improved I felt happy and normal for a change and just like usual I get hit again. Does anyone else feel its 1 step forward and then 100 back again.
I know what it feels like lovely! Going through a rough patch now doesn’t mean you will never be happy again. It might seem like it but it’s not true. Remembering this always helps me stay afloat. Sending you a big hug! 🫂
MillionDollarBab has given good advice which would be good to follow. Depressed people all seem to feel guilty about being depressed. We're highly sensitive to what other people think, but I feel there comes a time when you just have to say 'sod them'.
This, 100%. Just tell them to mind their own business @minty901. It sounds like you need to start living for yourself and putting yourself first. Your life is not over, 40 isn’t old at all! And you have your children - parenting is such a huge and important job, it’s a big achievement of yours that you shouldn’t downplay. You might feel like your life is not what you wanted it to be, well, this happens to many of us but it doesn’t mean you can’t get back on the right track ever again. Most importantly, please remember that you matter and that you are amazing. I really hope you feel better soon and get all the help you need. We are here for you if you need someone to talk to ❤

Hi everyone,

First of all, I’m very sorry to hear this. It must be such a difficult situation to navigate. You sound like a very sensible, understanding and caring person. Don’t forget to take care of yourself as well, you need it too right now.

You said you and him work together. Is it possible for him to get help through work, e.g. see a counsellor or something like this? I know some companies have counselling/hot lines for their employees that are struggling. Talking about self harm might mean he needs some help ASAP.

And I hope this doesn’t sound harsh, but please don’t feel like you are solely responsible for his life and wellbeing. I know it sounds cynical, please understand I am not trying to be, I just know from personal experience that sometimes we love a person so much we think we can control their whole life. You are doing what you can. Sending good thoughts your way, I hope it gets better for both of you soon 💗

• Heart
Just needed to post as I'm feeling quite down today.

I have food poisoning and haven't eaten or slept in 2 days. Constantly sick and feel awful. I've literally just recovered from tonsillitis. I'm also having a hard time with a guy I'm talking with setting a date to meet up.

I see people on Instagram looking gorgeous, on beautiful holidays and looking loved up with their men who love them and it gets me so down. Here I am, ill again, can't even get a first date and I'm pretty sure I have vomit in my hair 🤣

Sorry to offload but had to let it out, im really struggling xx

• Heart
Just needed to post as I'm feeling quite down today.

I have food poisoning and haven't eaten or slept in 2 days. Constantly sick and feel awful. I've literally just recovered from tonsillitis. I'm also having a hard time with a guy I'm talking with setting a date to meet up.

I see people on Instagram looking gorgeous, on beautiful holidays and looking loved up with their men who love them and it gets me so down. Here I am, ill again, can't even get a first date and I'm pretty sure I have vomit in my hair 🤣

Sorry to offload but had to let it out, im really struggling xx
I’m sorry to hear that. It’s natural to feel down when you are unwell, but please remember that Instagram only shows you a pretty picture, not the actual state of things. It’s just a slice of people’s life that they carefully curated and willingly made public. It doesn’t mean then don’t have their own problems or never get ill. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Heart
I’ve had an awful day too. Cried all day and now my eyes hurt. Managed to sort out a few things in my flat so it didn’t become a total tip, but that’s it. I am so lonely and miss my ex even though he’s toxic. I hate the fact that I love someone who treated me so badly. It makes me feel like a complete idiot. I just want to hate him but I can’t.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Love to all. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m not particularly active on TL - I lurk and read rather than post (I’m shy even on the internet 😅). But this thread seems so supportive and like a safe space, I thought I’d dip my toes in.
I’ve struggled with depression (and other MH issues) for years, but it’s got so much worse since the pandemic. My living situation is less than ideal (understatement of the century) and that’s a massive contributing factor, but I’m stuck here for now.

Currently reducing my dose of venlafaxine to go back on to sertraline. It reduced my appetite loads and I didn’t feel myself when I was on the higher dose. I was on sertraline for 3 years and felt like it had stopped working, but I’d pick that over how I’ve been feeling on venlafaxine any day.

i might do a more detailed post later. This is just to say hi and try to get over my anxiety about posting🙈 but I hope Monday is kind to you all. Take it as easy as you can ❤

• Heart
Major catch up from me this morning, I just didn’t have the capacity over the weekend.

@justheretoread99 how’s the mirtazapine going?

@ilovepizza21 you’ve got so much to cope with, you’re doing amazingly (even if it doesn’t feel like it) Your ex doesn’t help the situation with either child, does he 😔 Hope the meeting today goes as well as possible.
Don’t be afraid to be honest with school. They are duty bound to help you. What’s happening is not your fault and please remember that you (and the kids) are worthy of help ❤

@minty901 I’m so sorry you’re feeling so low. It sounds like you feel trapped in your marriage and unsupported by those around you. Is there a trusted person you could confide in? Even your GP? There are ways to help you start to see the light through this darkness. Don’t face it alone xx

@heron it seems like your boyfriend is feeling overwhelmed and lost. No one can be sure what he’s thinking, and he possibly doesn’t even know himself, but it could be that he only has the energy and capacity to get himself through the day. It’s hard to explain if you haven’t experienced it yourself, but depression really can take so much of ‘you’ away and just leaves you as a shell, with the ability to cope with the very basics. If he’s always busy at work that’s likey avoidance of his feelings, combined with fear of not being good enough.

I think (and I could be wrong!) that the best thing you can do right now is let him know you are there to support him, but don’t push him or you risk pushing him away. Respect his decision that he needs space - it will have taken a lot for him to do that. Just gently remind him that you love him, and you’re right there for him if he needs you.

“almost levitating from the pain”
Yes! Like floating above it, know you feel it but actually feel numb

@StillLucilleBluth you aren’t an idiot. Not at all. You gave love to someone who then hurt you. That’s not on you - but it is so, so hard.
How long have you been separated?

@Jadejones9596 hope you’re feeling better today. Instagram is terrible for only showing what people want to show. It is not real x

@pusheencat00 Venlafaxine made me feel detached. I’m currently weaning down to switch.
A difficult living situation makes things harder 😔 Hope you’re able to access support to plan for the future.

• Heart
Major catch up from me this morning, I just didn’t have the capacity over the weekend.

@ilovepizza21 you’ve got so much to cope with, you’re doing amazingly (even if it doesn’t feel like it) Your ex doesn’t help the situation with either child, does he 😔 Hope the meeting today goes as well as possible.
Don’t be afraid to be honest with school. They are duty bound to help you. What’s happening is not your fault and please remember that you (and the kids) are worthy of help ❤

@minty901 I’m so sorry you’re feeling so low. It sounds like you feel trapped in your marriage and unsupported by those around you. Is there a trusted person you could confide in? Even your GP? There are ways to help you start to see the light through this darkness. Don’t face it alone xx

@heron it seems like your boyfriend is feeling overwhelmed and lost. No one can be sure what he’s thinking, and he possibly doesn’t even know himself, but it could be that he only has the energy and capacity to get himself through the day. It’s hard to explain if you haven’t experienced it yourself, but depression really can take so much of ‘you’ away and just leaves you as a shell, with the ability to cope with the very basics. If he’s always busy at work that’s likey avoidance of his feelings, combined with fear of not being good enough.

I think (and I could be wrong!) that the best thing you can do right now is let him know you are there to support him, but don’t push him or you risk pushing him away. Respect his decision that he needs space - it will have taken a lot for him to do that. Just gently remind him that you love him, and you’re right there for him if he needs you.

Yes! Like floating above it, know you feel it but actually feel numb

@StillLucilleBluth you aren’t an idiot. Not at all. You gave love to someone who then hurt you. That’s not on you - but it is so, so hard.
How long have you been separated?

@Jadejones9596 hope you’re feeling better today. Instagram is terrible for only showing what people want to show. It is not real x

@pusheencat00 Venlafaxine made me feel detached. I’m currently weaning down to switch.
A difficult living situation makes things harder 😔 Hope you’re able to access support to plan for the future.
This is such a lovely, thoughtful post. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone remember when I was online shopping for a trampoline? Well…. I bought it, and built it! (With help from my teenager)
Seriously happy kids.

Beyond that I’ve managed to do an online food shop, which I’ve struggled with lately as I haven’t been able to think ahead to plan.

I’m weaning from 45mg mirtazapine - did 5 days at 30mg and then last night dropped to 15mg.

And from 300mg venlafaxine - did one day at 262.5mg to make sure I felt okay, and then dropped to 225mg.

Got psychiatrist tomorrow. Have only met him once but he was so so lovely, very observant (the clinic letter was hard to read as it said so much just from what he’d observed and read between what I’d said) and he will hopefully give guidance on what level of ven I need to drop to to then switch to Amitriptyline which is his recommendation.

Dog back at the vet Thursday for another check up but she’s healed amazingly well, I’m not worried any more.

My house is an absolute tip, it’s embarrassing, thank god no one ever just turns up. I just don’t seem to have the thought process that I need to tidy / clean for it to change 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edit to add I have found myself putting this on repeat lately. It says everything I feel (or am unable to feel!)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi lovely, thank you for asking! The first one was crazy. I took it around midnight on Friday settled down to watch Netflix and must have fallen asleep within 45 minutes because I can’t remember finishing the episode I was on. (Havnt fallen asleep that quick since I was a baby😂)

Woke up at 12pm, felt like a zombie, had some brunch and needed to lie down and fell back to sleep until 5pm. Then around midnight again I took another tablet hoping I’d fall asleep quickly but nothing. Wide awake and did an all nighter.

I stupidly forgot to take one last night. But was still awake at 5am even though I’d been up all night the day before.

They make me feel really groggy and zombiefied, but I’m going to persevere as my GP said the first 2 weeks are the worst.

How are you finding the weaning?

Amazing to hear about the trampoline! We had a massive one in the garden when I was a kid and loved it! Also good luck with your appointment tomorrow. (I promise I’m not nosey but I LOVE to read about people’s days. Even if it’s just a food shop!)

• Heart
Anyone remember when I was online shopping for a trampoline? Well…. I bought it, and built it! (With help from my teenager)
Seriously happy kids.

Beyond that I’ve managed to do an online food shop, which I’ve struggled with lately as I haven’t been able to think ahead to plan.

I’m weaning from 45mg mirtazapine - did 5 days at 30mg and then last night dropped to 15mg.

And from 300mg venlafaxine - did one day at 262.5mg to make sure I felt okay, and then dropped to 225mg.

Got psychiatrist tomorrow. Have only met him once but he was so so lovely, very observant (the clinic letter was hard to read as it said so much just from what he’d observed and read between what I’d said) and he will hopefully give guidance on what level of ven I need to drop to to then switch to Amitriptyline which is his recommendation.

Dog back at the vet Thursday for another check up but she’s healed amazingly well, I’m not worried any more.

My house is an absolute tip, it’s embarrassing, thank god no one ever just turns up. I just don’t seem to have the thought process that I need to tidy / clean for it to change 🤷🏼‍♀️

Edit to add I have found myself putting this on repeat lately. It says everything I feel (or am unable to feel!)

Your a superwoman never forget that ❤

Meeting was a waste of time unfortunately. Mentioned everything we has been through the last few years and think she benefit from counselling like my son did at school told me she only worried about the phone incident x

• Heart
Your a superwoman never forget that ❤

Meeting was a waste of time unfortunately. Mentioned everything we has been through the last few years and think she benefit from counselling like my son did at school told me she only worried about the phone incident x
Thank you ❤ Hard to believe that sometimes!

Oh ffs, that is not exactly the level of support you need from the school.
I can’t remember how old your two are, are they both secondary school? Wonder if the school nurse team would be able to help.
I know you probably don’t want anyone else involved, but it’s not fair that this is all on you - especially with the ex causing more dramas 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.