The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Chateau unhinged how did you know Mason was an author on sun gazing? I don't remember that being mentioned. @alafolie yes I'm pretty sure his sister is called Ashley - there's a good vlog from Paris where her and Stephanie went christmas shopping together (I'd love to go xmas shopping in Paris).
There was a vlog where his surname was mentioned, so I just googled it, He seems to look fine with no effects so maybe this sun gazing is a good thing.

Western Culture in the 1800's thought Yoga was a freakshow...now look at it....so perhaps Mason is an early pioneer for sun gazing. Each to their own. I have a friend who suspends herself by hooks (through her skin) for the thrill...now that is something I can't quite grasp but again each to their own.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Natti- the only sane person around. But with a major crush on Selmar. I felt there was a weird vibe between her and Marie at one point and seemed that Selmar had something to do with it.
Welcome to the madhouse, aka the Chateau Diaries thread! And so many good observations right off the bat, this one potentially being my favourite because I've been thinking for a while that either Nati is crushing on Selmar or vice versa. SOMETHING is up between those two, for sure.

I agree with everything you wrote pretty much, especially the fact that the channel seems to have lost its way a bit lately. As I wrote earlier, I often watch older vlogs before bed to calm down my anxiety and it's so striking HOW much calmer and more approachable it all was back then. We saw Stephanie cooking for guests or running to the bakery for last minute baguette, or run errands and show us the French supermarket, or just calm dinners together with the volunteers. Mind you, I tended to skip the party vlogs even back then, as I personally hate fancy dress and excessive partying, just not my thing (anymore). But it all just seemed less manic and less showy, which I think is what people actually liked about the vlogs.

Loved your insight re: there being sort of an "in-crowd" with special privileges, I'd never noticed until you pointed it out how there is always a little group of "special" volunteers vs. the ones that just seem to work in the background. And, of course, all the male friends are treated differently anyway, which again makes me feel Stephanie is very focused on the men in her life. Yeah, Michael P. seems to be losing it a bit, what's with his personal cameraman following him around shoving the camera into other people's faces?! Super odd, especially given how little he ends up putting out in terms of actual video content. Anyone else found the goodbyes between him and Stephanie very awkward?

Reactions: 5
Yeah Michael and Stephanie do seem to act pretty awkwardly at times in front of the camera. I really don't know how Michael and the new Petherick channel are going to come up with enough content between them to sustain two channels.

I agree with @Great_Kate that Stephanie needs to tread carefully going forward. Part of the charm of her channel was that she appeared to be living a very unique lifestyle, however due to the channel's success many of the other Escape to the Chateau DIY families have also set up their own channels (like Angelina and Phil...I don't watch theirs at all as found Phil pretty obnoxious on the C4 show) and it's just overkill at this point.

As harsh as it may sound I would stop others filming there for youtube to avoid the same dinner being filmed for 4 different channels...although she would have to accept the same when she goes Basmaingee.

Reactions: 2
I have a friend like Stephanie, beautiful, whimsical and all the men fall at their knees, those that don't make the grade get relegated to friends status and linger there for eternity. Unfortunately most woman also dislike her, if I had not known my friend since high school, i'd probably dislike her too but deep down, they are lovely people with kind hearts.

I think the awkwardness of some people on the vlogs is natural....imagine arriving to work/visit there and suddenly have a camera shoved in your face, I'd have pulled funny faces too, then I would have shown off and then at the first sign of people gossiping about me, I would probably bolt.

It's the viewers that have encouraged the residents/workers to get their own channels, no harm, if they are not your bag, don't watch them.

Where I worry is with the patreon viewers who will turn on her if they think their money is being spent on her own things. eg the recent vlog to La Miranda and she had a little shopping spree, if the patrons think she is spending their money on that, they will eat her alive. She must be transparent with every cent (which she tries to do) but there will always be people that don't believe her. No one expected the patreon exploding like it did. French tax is a killer. 45% of that patreon earnings will be given straight away to tax. Then patreon take their cut. She is not getting near as much as people think.

What still surprises me is that people talk about the'expensive' holidays she takes....she is a business owner that can have breaks here and there. We are all entitled to a holiday once in a while....the way some people carry on must think she should only go to a Butlin's while using a voucher from the Sun newspaper.

I'd like to add that I think Oliver is wonderful. I wish he was my friend, he has a witty personality and I hope his and Stephanie's new channel takes off. I love French history and art which is how i found this channel and the Sunday vlog where they visited Fresselines to see where Monet painted his series of the river Creuse was something that could have easily been produced for the BBC. He is engaging and a great story teller.

I think it is hilarious that people try to play matchmaker with Michael Pethrick and Stephanie , I assume the majority of her viewers are 60+ so they clearly must miss the signs that Michael is a mans man. I like him too. He has suddenly found himself with a massive following, imagine being in his shoes, it would probably go to your head too. His family seem very close knit and nice, plus he is talented. I love his brothers chateau and am considering a mini break there post pandemic.

Reactions: 9
French tax is a killer. 45% of that patreon earnings will be given straight away to tax. Then patreon take their cut. She is not getting near as much as people think.
This is a common misconception - France has progressive taxation, so she only pays those 45% on the highest earning bracket, NOT the full 100% of her income. French taxes aren't higher than the average EU taxes, Germany has similar taxation and my high earning parents do NOT pay 45% taxes. She also can deduct most of the upkeep costs and materials for refurbishment etc. for her business. Girl is getting plenty of money.

She certainly is not earning the 20k from patreon that was being quoted in previous posts nor has she spent 20k on the workshop, she's bought a few tools for it only and I think they will get the fridge soon too. I recall her mentioning in a video that to show that things are happening with some of the funds, they will do small purchases here and there, as it will take months for any of the major renovations to start but I think it was really to just pander to the more vocal ones who were demanding to see their money being put to use.

Reading between the lines I suspect that Michael has struggled/is struggling a bit with his mental health. I think this also explains why he is a bit inconsistent with posting his vlogs.

Reactions: 10
What still surprises me is that people talk about the'expensive' holidays she takes....she is a business owner that can have breaks here and there. We are all entitled to a holiday once in a while....the way some people carry on must think she should only go to a Butlin's while using a voucher from the Sun newspaper
I don't think anyone thinks she's not entitled to a holiday, it's just at the start of the quarantine vlogs she was saying she was worried about paying bills etc. That just doesn't add up with her lifestyle up to that date.

I think patreon is going to become a big issue. There's an option to make the monthly total private which she should have done from the start. I would also stop doing the handwritten cards. Other vloggers on patreon seem to just allow early access to videos or do a private Q & A twice a month or something. The discount on stays at the chateau is a very nice bonus.

I think it's a case of the more you give, the more people expect.

Reactions: 6
She certainly is not earning the 20k from patreon that was being quoted in previous posts nor has she spent 20k on the workshop, she's bought a few tools for it only and I think they will get the fridge soon too. I recall her mentioning in a video that to show that things are happening with some of the funds, they will do small purchases here and there, as it will take months for any of the major renovations to start but I think it was really to just pander to the more vocal ones who were demanding to see their money being put to use.
No one here has implied that she is getting the full 20k though? I'm just saying she doesn't pay 45% taxes as so many people, including her, like to claim.
I don't think anyone thinks she's not entitled to a holiday, it's just at the start of the quarantine vlogs she was saying she was worried about paying bills etc. That just doesn't add up with her lifestyle up to that date.
That's exactly the point - her tale of constant struggle and near poverty just doesn't match the luxury travel and numerous properties we see, and it feels manipulative to keep telling said tale. No one is saying she isn't allowed nice things.

Reactions: 7
@Great_Kate hello & I loved your info. I too am delighted this thread has been created. I hate to disappoint but Tomaz has his own page now where he bakes with his mother & does up his sisters flat in Portugal. Tonight he’s so desperate he’s cutting his own hair off (just popped into my news feed) He did however add a cryptic message on YouTube last week when a viewer asked why he left Lalande so suddenly as he had planned to stay much longer & he replied for the person to go & look back at his videos. He had put one on there about how he & the other Workaways had to work so hard, it’s worth a look. The Marie thing is so strange as she & Stephanie used to flutter eyes at one another & say I love you etc but it seems very frosty now. I’m totally puzzled at what Marie is doing as sometimes she buys hundreds of flowers? What happens to them as she doesn’t appear to sell any? She also stayed with some of stephanies friends in England earlier this year? Re Instagram? Michaels starting to get stick on YouTube now too due to his recent extremely expensive outfits & aftershave costing about £350 a bottle but very little content in his videos which seem to show us copious amounts of drone footage. Hanni Ross seems to be recovering from coronavirus according to her LinkedIn blog? She seems to have replaced Marie in Stephanies affections. The plot thickens. I just watched a few minutes of an old Escape to the chateau diy things were very different! I love Dan the gardener & his families videos & Chateau Mareuils cookery videos. They are a lovely couple & always respond to any questions unlike Ryan & Micheal who are men of mystery 🧐

@pettyicequeen Agree, I find it odd Stephanie takes fancy holidays and buys very expensive fabrics (!) for the chateau, yet pleads poverty. She can do whatever she wants, but her tale of poverty feels slightly predatory, she knows some vulnerable people are her fans.

Just watched the latest vlog, Hanni’s transition into Stephanie is progressing, she’s wearing espadrilles, a floaty, floral dress and getting giddy over wallpaper. She already dyed her hair blonde before she came to the chateau.
She’s always at Stephanie’s side, you do hope she’s ok, it doesn’t seem healthy.

I don’t think she’s replaced Marie, Stephanie and Marie do seem to have a genuine friendship rooted in common interests and outlook. But she sure is muscling in on Marie’s turf, no doubt putting Marie’s nose out of joint.

I’m not picking on the sexual tension everyone else is! Natti doesn’t fancy Selmar, Selmar is not in love with Stephanie and so on. Honestly, don’t think life at the chateau is that sexy or fun. 😂 Probably not what Tomas was expecting. Of course, it’s hard work, that’s life!

Reactions: 12
Hello, and may I say im so glad to see that there is a thread here about Stephanie and company.
I found her channel about 2 months ago and just started on a random vlog, I think it was one in which she was hosting some party that evening, she had to greet people with rollers in her hair and I thought , huh, yup , a lot like me, always taking on too much, and then run late. So I continued on and binge watched all the vlogs almost all the Sunday’s@. Then just in the past few weeks things became kinda weird. I couldn’t place my finger on one thing but when Tomaz left and there was no farewell, no nothing just , he’s gone and many people sounded off in the comments I started to wonder, hmm....is all as it might seem at the Chateau de La land ? ( she later did post a video with a more proper send off for him).

Then when Tomaz posted his “day in the life” of a non paid maid who works 25 hours a week for their room and board I thought, huh, that sure isn’t how that role as a “volunteer” comes across in the vlogs, not by a long shot.
I have wondered what Stephanie has thought of that video? I suspect she was non to happy about it, nor I suspect was she happy about the before and after video Tomaz did if the laundry room make over he did. I could NOT believe the state of that room before he went to town on it, I mean, it was disgusting! And she’s running a B &B here and washing bedding, towels, napkins etc in that filthy place they called a laundry room. It had been like this for FIFTEEN years! Ok. So, I realize they didn’t have a lot of money, but I could not even fathom letting that room go that long looking the way it did and choose to spend money on a holiday, versus cleaning up that room (which actually cost next to nothing, just elbow grease.)
In the US there is no way she’s ever be able to get a license to run a B&B with a Filthy room like that. I was shocked. So much so that I had To wonder How Stephanie felt about it being put put for the world to see, and I also dont understanding why she wouldnt have done a transformation video of the room on her own Channel? Made no sense.

Then I saw Tomas comment to someone that he actually stayed for over 2 months, and most volunteers just stay for week or 10 days, so...clearly he must have been liked, but for some reason I get the sense that perhaps there was some sort of falling out that may have happened at the end. Just a hunch.

Then the other thing he said that really struck me was he told one commentor that it was Isabelle, Michael Potts and Gerry who talked to him about starting his own channel and really putting in a big effort to make a Career in social media.

He did mention in one comment that Stephanie works very hard, and very long hours, which I have no doubt she does, just the editing alone to put up 6 videos a week, or how many she does, is a full time job,never mind running a B&B ( which I know Nat does now).

I actually feel bad for Thomaz because I think he was given some really bad advice and then he did have sort of a little click , following in the comments, but that does not translate to a career in social media. I think that they have all seen the “windfall” that Stephanie has amassed in such a short period of time on paetron and I think Isabell ,Michael and Gerry gave some bad advice, unfortunately as I think he is going to be sadly disappointed , which he is realizing now that his paetron netted him a whopping $100/ mos, and now he’s started a go fund me asking for $4000 for a laptop. People have called him out saying , dude...you can buy a decent used laptop for 1k that will do what you need it to do . So, I think he’s going to realize he needs to be finding work, outside of social media.

The thing is of all the people that have come thru Chateau LL...Tomaz is super talented and has done a boat load of things in his career up to now. He's a professional opera singer /entertainer has been in a ton of broadway musicals , studied And worked in NYC , and RONA has destroyed that industry this year, and likely all next as well, so I understand that he’s floundering but, he will need to find something soon, and I do feel bad that I think people really puffed him up that this was going to be his big shot at fame.

Hanni- something seriously off with her. She is seriously crushing hard on Stehpanie, so much so it’s painful to watch.

Mari, very sad to see this once very lovely bubbly women become so sullen and withdrawn now. She’s been asked many times recently what’s wrong she seems very unhappy, she responds that yes things have been very tough. She has been working very very late hours , I don’t sleep much, I see her posting at all hours of the night, and she’s still cooking a lot for LL...something is not right with this situation and I suspect we will see her leave this situation soon, , I hope she does something to make herself happier.

I kinda think it’s a bit rude that viewers make such a big affair about Salmar finding a woman...I mean, imagine if he doesn’t even prefer women? Kinda like people going on about Stephanie and Michale P...who doesn’t really hide the fact that he doesn’t fancy women.

I saw someone say that the other Michael is married to Ruth, I thought they were just dating, and that seems odd a bit as Stephanie has said many times that Ruth is one of her best friends. But all the other relations of past beaux’s still there with now current wives with their ex (Stephanie) is just odd, to me.

Well I suspect I’ve more than said my fair share for my very first post, Its all been whirling around in the ole brain for a few days so when I found this board I was like, Chasam!
Also...is it only me, or does Isabelle have quite a mean streak ? Lastly, I was very excited to see that the President Of South Africa stayed that he will be reopenign borders starting Oct1st, so Percy hopefully can get back to see his new Bride ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Just watched the latest vlog, Hanni’s transition into Stephanie is progressing, she’s wearing espadrilles, a floaty, floral dress and getting giddy over wallpaper. She already dyed her hair blonde before she came to the chateau.
She’s always at Stephanie’s side, you do hope she’s ok, it doesn’t seem healthy.
Definitely strong single white female vibes from her... I knew a girl like that when I was at uni, she lived in our dorm and would always latch onto one female friend obsessively, changing personality completely to appeal to her girl crush of the month. She turned out to be highly unstable mentally, yikes.
I’m not picking on the sexual tension everyone else is! Natti doesn’t fancy Selmar, Selmar is not in love with Stephanie and so on. Honestly, don’t think life at the chateau is that sexy or fun. 😂 Probably not what Tomas was expecting. Of course, it’s hard work, that’s life!
Hmmm, I don't know - surely they must have the odd fling here and there, what with all these young volunteers coming over from all over the world. Thinking back on my year of overseas studies, everyone was doing it with everyone because they knew it was just a semester or two anyway. And, well, the people I know who did WWOOF, which I believe is a similar program, all ended up hooking up with the various owners of the farms they worked at - to the point that I started to think this is why they actually asked for volunteers in the first place, living in the middle of nowhere, yikes. 😆

I just think there is a lot of horny energy around during those drunken chateau parties...

• Haha
Haha agree I'm sure there has been several flings at the chateau. And some of Stephanie's raging house parties pre covid look like fun. But not picking up any vibes with the current crew. If it is a Jilly Cooper novel situation, sign me up for workaway 😊 (I don't fancy any of them, but covid has deprived me of gossip)

I definitely think Stephanie and Potts hook up. He and his partner Ruth could have an open relationship, they seem like the type to me.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
So happy to have found this thread. Thank you.
I was one of the first fans of Stephanie, and later Michael. I've become very very disappointed. Everything is out of control.
I tried to explain lots of things related to France and the French system in the comments section, especially about French tax system, French working laws, etc. But people prefer to believe what they see or hear in these videos. Very frustrating.
As someone said in this thread, the French tax system doesn't take 45% of your all revenue. It's graduated. And since Stephanie earns 30.000 euros per month with her YouTube ads revenue and her patreons page, she's in the category of the very rich taxpayers for the French system (which redistributes the taxes for the health system, retirement system, unemployment benefits etc etc). I've given up trying to explain this as people prefer to believe the 45% taxation story.
Isabelle's father was an officer in the French colonial army before and after WW II. They've never been poor. And yes, Isabelle is not the nice old lady that she's playing in the latest videos. Just rewatch the first videos of the channel before lockdown. I speak French and can understand what she says.
About volunteering, the French working laws are very strict and you can not have unpaid staff for your business. The Workaway program when volunteers work for the owners private business is illegal in France. If the volunteers don't work for a private business, it's ok. Lalande has stopped using the Workaway program and I suppose they have covered all these legal aspects of the question.
Last thing, I can't bear the comments systematically deleted on the Pethericks and Michael P. channels when these comments are a little bit negative. As for Gwendoline, she looks to me like a princess with sad eyes. Not really enjoying all this videos thing but with no choice.
Thanks again for this thread. The YouTube and Facebook comments are so frustrating haha !

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
Did anyone notice all the LV luggage in the boot of the car when Michael and his happy band were leaving ...

Reactions: 10
I don't even know where to start as there's been so many fascinating posts in the last 24 hours and I love having so many people to discuss La Lande with! Apologies for not tagging/quoting anyone directly but I've enjoyed everyone's insights so much.

Firstly I have heard Stephanie refer to Ruth as Michael Pott's wife on a few occasions. If you google Ruth Kelly/writer/Amsterdam (where they live) there are loads of photos that he's taken of her in Amsterdam where she looks amazing and you can tell he adores her by the way he photographs her. She's a very successful writer and in addition to her novel she has ghost written lots of well known memoirs for people like Michelle Mone and many others. She is definitely with him on his trips to La Lande but she stays well in the background now. If you watch at the barbecues or dinners over the last few months she is there but clearly doesn't want to be on camera. She is often very low key/casually dressed and has her hair scrunched up in a top knot and doesn't dress up. I know she is a keen runner and often does long runs around the area as she posts pictures in her running gear outside the chateau on her social media. She has instagram and facebook as Ruth Kelly writer.

Re Selmar and Nati, I think there's a spark there especially when they dance together as they are both really good dancers and seem to maintain eye contact.

Re Tomaz working hard in his videos of la Lande. I'm not surprised they have to work hard - the volunteer rooms are nice (obviously not to the standard of the B&B rooms but still nice) and they get free food and drink and a lovely chateau to stay in. I think they should work hard for that as if you were travelling in Europe then your own room and three meals and drinks a day would cost upwards of £150 so I don't think that's a bad deal for 5 or 6 hours of work at all! It's at least £30 an hour they are getting paid in kind by my crude calculations.

I think Marie is probably feeling a bit disenchanted as she can only do so many flower arrangements for the chateau. She'd be much better having a shop somewhere and dealing with customers.

I think Marie, Michael P and the other Pethericks, Tomaz etc are all discovering that actually vlogging for a living is sooo much harder than it looks. Just because Stephanie makes it look easy and has done really well from it they have all jumped on the bandwagon wanting a piece of the action. The kicker is that to put out a 30 minute vlog you need a lot of interesting content and you need to do a tit ton of filming. And so they're all fast running out of ideas. You can often tell even Stephanie runs out of content and ideas sometimes and clutches at straws as she follows Mummy or Dan around the garden forcing conversation about plants and looking at the tomatoes in the greenhouse yet again. That Belgian garden designer is not exactly bursting with charisma and whilst I'm sure he knows what he's doing in the garden he's not what you'd call a vlogger's dream.

I agree with someone who said the vlogs were best when Stephanie was more hands on nipping out for baguettes and helping with the cooking and laying up lovely tables and opening the odd surprise gift. That party the other night with the school disco seemed so contrived for vlogging purposes that it didn't have the spontaneous charm of previous parties which were not done for vlogging content but were done just for fun. Now the La Lande juggernaut is going at a million miles an hour gathering patrons and momentum it has lost some of its charm. I still enjoy it though and I'm sure I'll always watch it.

Someone said Mummy has a bit of a mean streak. I love Mummy and think she's got a good heart and is very hardworking and funny however she can be quite grumpy and I've seen her really glare at Selmar when he's given Diesel a treat on the carpet when doing the present opening.

Gerry has got a heart of gold and is much loved by everyone and he's been really upbeat and brave during his cancer battle and has reached out and encouraged a lot of others to support them. However I think the majority of his jokes are dire and when Stephanie says he's the funniest person she's ever met it does make me think her bar must be set very low.

I think mummy is a typical product of the NHS during the period she was a nursing officer and senior nurse manager....exacting standards and not to be messed with ( much less evident in the NHS of today I may add). Good heart but strict and says what she thinks.
Enjoy watching it and speculating on back stories, dynamics etc.....just really hope it can be pulled back in course and not implode.

ps yes @Lululime I noticed the LV luggage too! Also I meant to say to whoever said it that Hanni has definitely adopted Stephanie's style in the last few days - such a departure from very fitted shorts and polo shirts!

ps yes @Lululime I noticed the LV luggage too! Also I meant to say to whoever said it that Hanni has definitely adopted Stephanie's style in the last few days - such a departure from very fitted shorts and polo shirts!
Wonder whose that luggage was...has Michael been having a bit of a flutter I wonder? Could have bought a good few bricks for the cottage with that if so...but who knows.
Hanni is deffo undergoing some sort of metamorphosis....will be interested to see how this one plays out....she seems so lost...

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.