The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have always wondered about the food/drink bill and who pays. I imagine people must contribute? Not sure how it works though. She gets sent enough free champagne anyway...
The volunteers get free food and board in exchange for their work, not sure about the other guests, someone like Nic maybe pays a share of the food if he stays there with his whole family? Who knows! She should at least feed them all for free given how much she films them. Vlogs would be very short and boring with only mummy and Stephanie living there Grey Gardens style. And what would all those thirsty-ass middle-aged American women focus on without Oliver, Michael, that gardener, Selmar and whatever other man happens to walk around the grounds to salivate over?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Hanni is the new “fav” in the Dangerous Liaisons Court of Lelonde....

Must have a few bob..

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Hanni is the new “fav” in the Dangerous Liaisons Court of Lelonde....

Must have a few bob..
She is a bit too "single white female" for my taste - trying to dress like Stephanie, buying the same silk robes, moving into the chateau as a B&B guest... She's also a patron apparently? Creeps me out.

She is a bit too "single white female" for my taste - trying to dress like Stephanie, buying the same silk robes, moving into the chateau as a B&B guest... She's also a patron apparently? Creeps me out.
Agree 100% - and her previous style seems to have been far from flowery from what I’ve seen of the clothes she took with her. Hangs on old Steffy’s every word during “cadeaux” time...... yep ...patron......deffo got a few bob!

Reactions: 4
Ooh glad this thread has been started :)

Glad others are kinda uncomfortable with the present opening videos. It creates a weird false connection between the fans and Stephanie. I wouldn’t be surprised if Stephanie ends up with a stalker.

I like how Natti and Mummy and the others are filming life around the chateau, rather than just Stephanie all the time.

I like how Stephanie is lighthearted and her interest and knowledge of history is genuine and intellectual.

I found Tomas irritating, he was clearly there for self serving reasons. He has been trying start himself on YouTube for years.

And yes Hanni, does seem to have some major girl crush on Stephanie! When she ordered the same dressing gown and pretended surprise when Stephanie was like I have the same one!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Ooh glad this thread has been started :)

Glad others are kinda uncomfortable with the present opening videos. It creates a weird false connection between the fans and Stephanie. I wouldn’t be surprised if Stephanie ends up with a stalker.
Yes, it always ends badly when you pretend to be best friends with your viewers, or that they are part of your family. Too many unhinged people latch onto it, and one day Stephanie will do something to disappoint the more ardent fans because no one can pretend to be perfect 24/7. Gosh, I tried to watch the latest gift unwrapping and I couldn't finish - one hour?!? What is she doing with all the crap she gets sent? So much unnecessary tit, it's really out of control. And then there are these elaborate, over the top gifts that must cost a fortune, all this during a time of global economical crisis. It's just tasteless at this point. I would never accept so many gifts from strangers, and I'm tit poor at the moment.

You know, that's interesting about Tomas, but I did appreciate his video about how much work the volunteers do. I feel it was his way of showing the truth without being confrontational or sensationalist, very clever of him.

Reactions: 12
It's just tasteless at this point. I would never accept so many gifts from strangers, and I'm tit poor at the moment
I completely agree, did you see the short video she did when she announced the new channel? There is literally a whole room full of dozens of parcels waiting to be opened. For every parcel of something she would actually want, like the antique toile she was sent recently, she must receive 20 with scarves, costume jewellery etc. People must spend a fortune on postage too, why doesn't she just encourage them to give that money to their local charities?

Reactions: 11
I completely agree, did you see the short video she did when she announced the new channel? There is literally a whole room full of dozens of parcels waiting to be opened. For every parcel of something she would actually want, like the antique toile she was sent recently, she must receive 20 with scarves, costume jewellery etc. People must spend a fortune on postage too, why doesn't she just encourage them to give that money to their local charities?
Yes, that's exactly what I would do - encourage people to spend it directly on charity, or to buy gifts for people less fortunate or, heck, spend the money on themselves instead. God, imagine the piles of tacky scarves, gloves, masks, cheap jewellery and hats they must have amassed by now. And they just keep getting more. It's all so cringey, the reading out of poems and stories too, I just feel super uncomfortable watching it and really can't stomach those videos in full.

The present room was absolutely shocking!

I always worry when she talks directly to the fans on the videos and says things like she would love to meet them/for them to come to the chateau. It makes me concerned someone will just turn up one day. But also that she is making people think she is their friend. When really she wants their money/attention (I can’t decide which she likes more).

When I found the channel - About 8 months ago ....I found it a bit OTT and odd but was intrigued. Then it seemed to go through a really good phase imo ...very factual, historical and informative......now I’m wondering where all this patronage and gift receiving is going...... I must admit I did find myself looking at a flowery dress the other day........arghhhh!

Reactions: 6
When I found the channel - About 8 months ago ....I found it a bit OTT and odd but was intrigued. Then it seemed to go through a really good phase imo ...very factual, historical and informative......now I’m wondering where all this patronage and gift receiving is going...... I must admit I did find myself looking at a flowery dress the other day........arghhhh!
I binged the vlogs during quarantine and was enchanted, not gonna lie. I am a single woman in her 40s without kids, so I was excited to have found someone who parallels my lifestyle, seemingly. But it's just all gotten a lot less enchanting to me. I'm not fond of women my age behaving like a child and being so dependent on men, it's a lot less impressive to me than this vision I had of a single woman managing a chateau by herself with staff she actually PAYS.

What's the general consensus on Gerry (Jerry?) - I think he's harmless and seems sweet, but the story behind him being part of the family is so strange to me. What happened to his actual family?!

Oh, also, Michael P. and Stephanie seem to still be bffs, she's in his latest vlog. Everyone is yet again gushing over what a great couple they make, eyeroll.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
What's the general consensus on Gerry (Jerry?) - I think he's harmless and seems sweet, but the story behind him being part of the family is so strange to me. What happened to his actual family?!
I agree he is harmless but I find him very tiresome and not funny! I’m sure they said he is still very much in contact with his real family and there was no rift. I think Stephanie (and probably also her mother) enjoy collecting people.

Oh, also, Michael P. and Stephanie seem to still be bffs, she's in his latest vlog. Everyone is yet again gushing over what a great couple they make, eyeroll.
I think they are both too useful to each other to fall out. I wish people weren’t so naive though.

I also watched a lot of the videos during lockdown and really liked them at first, especially the older Sundays at the Chateau vlogs. I just don't like the more recent narrative of "poor little me I would be destitute without the patrons" as so much doesn't add up. Obviously she took a hit at the beginning of covid due to the B&B being shut, but she's also got a flat in Angel that she rents out and was going on holiday all over the world before that. She's also only had the B&B side to the business for the past few years as far as I can tell so what was she doing for an income before then?

I'm guessing her parents made loads by running and selling the care home and supported her - I don't begrudge anyone getting an inheritance or family money, that's their good luck, but don't play that you're a pauper to get more money from patrons. If you look on the fb pages some people are saving up to become patrons or hiding from their partners that they've become one which is absolutely insane imo.

Reactions: 13
Wow, she is begging for someone to come to Lalande to do you free videography and editing for her "charity channel" now? I am speechless. Unsurprisingly, her adoring fans are falling over themselves to offer their services.

I may be over interpreting everything now that someone has talked about a rift between her and Michael P., but their interactions seem a tad awkward to me in that latest vlog, hm.

Reactions: 3
Oh my, people are rioting on the Doing It Ourselves channel about them now starting a second channel and how it's all just a cash grab. Very delicious to read that people are starting to see the whole chateau grift more critically.

Oh my, people are rioting on the Doing It Ourselves channel about them now starting a second channel and how it's all just a cash grab. Very delicious to read that people are starting to see the whole chateau grift more critically.
Wow I wasn’t expecting that, I’ve just had a look and there are a lot more negative comments than usual! Finally people are being a little less naive.

Reactions: 5
Wow I wasn’t expecting that, I’ve just had a look and there are a lot more negative comments than usual! Finally people are being a little less naive.
Yes, even against precious Stephanie. Very encouraging!

I just don't like the more recent narrative of "poor little me I would be destitute without the patrons" as so much doesn't add up. Obviously she took a hit at the beginning of covid due to the B&B being shut, but she's also got a flat in Angel that she rents out and was going on holiday all over the world before that. She's also only had the B&B side to the business for the past few years as far as I can tell so what was she doing for an income before then?

I'm guessing her parents made loads by running and selling the care home and supported her - I don't begrudge anyone getting an inheritance or family money, that's their good luck, but don't play that you're a pauper to get more money from patrons. If you look on the fb pages some people are saving up to become patrons or hiding from their partners that they've become one which is absolutely insane imo.
I am so curious about her finances and her family background. Does she come from a posh background? I'm not British, so I don't have that sixth sense you guys seem to always have when it comes to class backgrounds haha. Given that she owned a flat in London at age 29 I'm thinking she must have had some form of income then, but I doubt she actually worked a full-time job? Everything about her childhood and family story just seems so bizarre to me when she talks about it, living in a care home in the attic, her mother not reading to her anymore when she turned 3, them randomly adopting Gerry. I just find it all so strange.

Reactions: 6
I think the money comes from her parents selling that massive care home. I've noticed that Michael Potts' wife Ruth is avoiding the camera whenever she's there whereas she used to always be centre stage. Hanni is in the top tier of patrons so clearly loaded and doesn't appear to have a job as she's been there for weeks on end.

I am so curious about her finances and her family background. Does she come from a posh background? I'm not British, so I don't have that sixth sense you guys seem to always have when it comes to class backgrounds haha. Given that she owned a flat in London at age 29 I'm thinking she must have had some form of income then, but I doubt she actually worked a full-time job? Everything about her childhood and family story just seems so bizarre to me when she talks about it, living in a care home in the attic, her mother not reading to her anymore when she turned 3, them randomly adopting Gerry. I just find it all so strange.
I often think that people with that kind of chaotic back story usually come from opposite ends of the class spectrum.

I think all of those things point to a very privileged background. Even if her parents weren’t always financially rich (I think she has implied this at some point?), they were culturally rich and you can certainly see this in her.

I always presumed they funded the deposit for the flat. She seems very much like she was a spoilt, daddy’s girl.

I watched a Q&A video where she was asked what her job was pre chateau. I remember she said she did admin for her parents’ care home. And that she trained in opera but wasn’t a professional singer. But can’t remember a proper, well-paying job that would fund a London flat?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.