The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But can’t remember a proper, well-paying job that would fund a London flat?
Yeah I don't recall her ever explaining what she did in London or how she bought the flat. They also must have poured hundreds of thousands into the renovation of the chateau. It seems Nic has a well paying job but I doubt he could have funded that himself less than 10 years after leaving university.

There are also more subtle signs that they are very well off, e.g. when she shows her fabric cupboard and has rolls of silk fabrics that she used to make curtains that cost hundreds of pounds per metre

Stephanie has said that her father grew up very poor in the East End of London and if so he clearly did exceptionally well financially in running the care home business and eventually selling it.

Not sure about Isabelle's family background, there could be a lot of inheritance coming from that side as well. She also has a house in England and a beautiful home in South Africa. That's a lot of money just in upkeep and flying between the different places numerous times each year.

Anyway like I said upthread I don't begrudge anyone their good fortune. I just think it's disingenuous to imply you can't pay for your own basic living costs when you clearly can.

Can someone point me to the comments about the new Petherick channel?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
There's been some interesting stuff on the facebook page set up by an odd American woman called A Tale of Two Chateaus. Someone suggested the peacock was going to start its own youtube channel and was jumped on by all the La Lande fans for being unkind.

I think Stephanie's (boy)friend Mason has some serious money judging by his house in Vermont and the trips they go on together.

I don't think Nic Larkin was ever Stephanie's boyfriend - just a friend from her Oxford days.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yeah I don't recall her ever explaining what she did in London or how she bought the flat. They also must have poured hundreds of thousands into the renovation of the chateau. It seems Nic has a well paying job but I doubt he could have funded that himself less than 10 years after leaving university.

There are also more subtle signs that they are very well off, e.g. when she shows her fabric cupboard and has rolls of silk fabrics that she used to make curtains that cost hundreds of pounds per metre

Stephanie has said that her father grew up very poor in the East End of London and if so he clearly did exceptionally well financially in running the care home business and eventually selling it.

Not sure about Isabelle's family background, there could be a lot of inheritance coming from that side as well. She also has a house in England and a beautiful home in South Africa. That's a lot of money just in upkeep and flying between the different places numerous times each year.

Anyway like I said upthread I don't begrudge anyone their good fortune. I just think it's disingenuous to imply you can't pay for your own basic living costs when you clearly can.

Can someone point me to the comments about the new Petherick channel?
Look at the comments on Michael’s announcement video.

There's been some interesting stuff on the facebook page set up by an odd American woman called A Tale of Two Chateaus. Someone suggested the peacock was going to start its own youtube channel and was jumped on by all the La Lande fans for being unkind.

I think Stephanie's (boy)friend Mason has some serious money judging by his house in Vermont and the trips they go on together.

I don't think Nic Larkin was ever Stephanie's boyfriend - just a friend from her Oxford days.
She’s said he was her boyfriend, hasn’t she?

I’ve never been a member of the Facebook group but knew of its existence...am I right in thinking it used to be for Steph and Michael? It looks like there’s one each now?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Look at the comments on Michael’s announcement video.
Wow that's the first time I've seen so much criticism on the youtube comments. It's true that Gwendoline and Billy are just jumping on the bandwagon, Gwendoline in particular is quite monotone and doesn't seem to enjoy being in front of the camera.

Someone suggested the peacock was going to start its own youtube channel and was jumped on by all the La Lande fans for being unkind.
Haha that's pretty funny. Of other the La Lande vloggers at least Marie has some original content with her floristry stuff. I thought it was ridiculous that Dan the Gardener set up his own channel, patron AND go fund me, wtf?!

Reactions: 8
I think the money comes from her parents selling that massive care home. I've noticed that Michael Potts' wife Ruth is avoiding the camera whenever she's there whereas she used to always be centre stage. Hanni is in the top tier of patrons so clearly loaded and doesn't appear to have a job as she's been there for weeks on end.
Yeah, Hanni seems super privileged. And, such a strange woman. She makes me feel uncomfortable whenever she's in the vlog, and I can't even fully put my finger on why.

The family projects this bohemian lifestyle that just instantly made me suspect they come from wealth. How indulgent to just decide you want to buy a big ass mansion and fill it with "beauty" and paint all day? And Stephanie just studying opera singing while never working. I seem to recall reading in a more critical comment that she was also previously married, so maybe her ex husband was loaded and she got a good chunk of the money.

I totally agree that it's not the issue if/that they are rich, but her telling this tale of struggle and poverty which just doesn't add up. It's one thing to be humble about the 500th peacock scarf or whatever, but pretending to not have enough money to pay full time staff while her closet is filled with designer tit (I spotted Gucci and Manolo Blanik shoes in there amongst other things) is just emotionally manipulative. If she paid her staff and was more transparent about her wealth, I'd applaud her for living the way she does.

It randomly reminds me of that one famous German Youtuber called Gronkh who by now must be a millionaire many times over given his insane success since 2010, but he still presents himself as not having much at all. And his fans keep donating and praising his humbleness. No dearies, that "humbleness" is a conscious tactic to keep raking in the Twitch and Youtube money and staying on brand.

Reactions: 9
Stephanie has never said her and Nic Larkin were a couple - she's been consistent with their best friends status whereas she's talked openly about being with Michael Potts for ten years (she was with him when she bought the chateau with Nic larkin and then Michael Potts bought into it at a later stage) She talks about her marriage lasting only 18 months but doesn't say much more on it other than her husband wanted to mainly spend time just the two of them whereas she wanted to see her friends more so they were just incompatible.

Did anyone see the episode with "celebrity" chef Mike Robinson and his glam blonde wife Claude - that was odd. Then Steph and Marie went to stay with them in Stratford and stayed at his house. He is the world's worst show off and super smug. He kept mentioning his TV show from like 20 years ago.

I think Dan the Gardener having a vlog and patreon account makes more sense than any of the others as he and his wife and cute kids live in a very derelict shack they bought 3 years ago for 15,000 euro and had no family help or leg up - in fact the reason they moved to France was it was the only way they could get on the property ladder. They could really do with a bit of support and I love the vlogs with their kids in them - they are really adorable. He works so hard gardening full time and then doing up their house full time in the evenings and weekends. He is a real grafter and I'm glad Stephanie gave him a few plugs as they seem like a genuine family and his renovations are very interesting.

I can't put my finger on Hanni's oddness - she seems like a recovering addict of some sort or possibly recovering from an eating disorder. I don't think she's a bad person but she comes across as quite needy and obsessed with Steph. She is a Dauphine of Lalande which is quite a big monthly payment.

Natty gets paid but I don't think any of the others do (except Dan the Gardener).

I think Billy and Gwen getting on the vlog bandwagon makes no sense and she comes across as pretty but quite dull. Ernest is cute though. Michael's recent product placement for that game was a bit cringe.

Like a previous poster I find the present opening really hard going as it's so OTT - especially when she has to pretend to like minging tat. I do like Steph though - I think she's a genuinely good egg but I think this whole vlog/patreon/everyone jumping on the bandwagon thing has got a bit out of control and is turning into a monster. Literally everyone has a vlog now and it's too much.

Reactions: 8
The whole thing is just crazy to me 🤯 but they clearly have a lot of fans!

I’m pretty sure she has said they were once a couple. I can’t remember where but it’s mentioned in this article.
Yes, I remembered it from that article as well that they used to be a couple! It's all so very odd. She buys a chateau with her ex and moves in with him and her current boyfriend, who later also became her ex but bought into the chateau. Makes my head spin. And again - how are all the wives so cool about their husbands still having economical and emotional ties to this woman?! I'd absolutely riot if my hubs dragged me to his ex's chateau every other month, or worse - vacationed there alone with her running around in see-through robes all day. Guess I'm not bohemian enough for all of this heh.

Reactions: 6
Yes, I remembered it from that article as well that they used to be a couple! It's all so very odd. She buys a chateau with her ex and moves in with him and her current boyfriend, who later also became her ex but bought into the chateau. Makes my head spin. And again - how are all the wives so cool about their husbands still having economical and emotional ties to this woman?! I'd absolutely riot if my hubs dragged me to his ex's chateau every other month, or worse - vacationed there alone with her running around in see-through robes all day. Guess I'm not bohemian enough for all of this heh.
Me too. She certainly has a lot of men under her spell. It’s all a little fake to me, she tries a little too hard.

I know someone similar in real life who has loads of men running around after her and she is a nightmare if you don’t toe the line.

@alafolie @pettyicequeen I stand corrected - it seems they definitely were in a relationship but I'd only ever heard her call him her best friend! I agree the whole set up is highly unusual and in a recent episode she announced that she'd be joining Nic and Marie on the Orient Express to go to Italy for their big wedding anniversary celebration (apparently Mason was invited too). Whether or not this goes ahead due to covid I'm not sure but I did think that was unusual to take friends along on a romantic trip. Clearly I'm not bohemian enough either as the whole set up wouldn't work for me if I was married to one of her exes.

There seemed to be a bit of rivalry between Stephanie and Camilla Strong (Oliver's wife) as Camilla got a bit competitive over who had the nicest hotel at Lake Garda. However Oliver spends a lot of time at the chateau alone and Camilla seems to be the one who despatches him there to paint when he's stressed so I'm not entirely clear what's going on.

All in all it's a bizarre set up but it keeps me enthralled.

• Wow
I agree the whole set up is highly unusual and in a recent episode she announced that she'd be joining Nic and Marie on the Orient Express to go to Italy for their big wedding anniversary celebration (apparently Mason was invited too).

All in all it's a bizarre set up but it keeps me enthralled.
Wow I haven’t watched recently, that’s crazy! Who would want to be the gooseberry?? 🤯

And yes I totally agree with your last point, it’s certainly interesting!

@alafolie @pettyicequeen I stand corrected - it seems they definitely were in a relationship but I'd only ever heard her call him her best friend! I agree the whole set up is highly unusual and in a recent episode she announced that she'd be joining Nic and Marie on the Orient Express to go to Italy for their big wedding anniversary celebration (apparently Mason was invited too). Whether or not this goes ahead due to covid I'm not sure but I did think that was unusual to take friends along on a romantic trip. Clearly I'm not bohemian enough either as the whole set up wouldn't work for me if I was married to one of her exes.
Oh how strange, if I were Stephanie I would not want to be caught dead on a couple's anniversary trip. How extra awkward! Marie must be a saint, surely. Also, I love how I'm learning so many British idioms here, hahaha - "be the gooseberry", that's a new one for me! :LOL:

I'm enjoying the latest blog, she's really best when she shows her sophisticated side introducing people to beautiful spaces. She is also a good interviewer. More of that and less dance parties or mummy skits, please!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Loving this thread thanks for starting, so many mysteries re Stephanie & all, Marie has changed recently & doesn’t look as happy as she did, why? What’s the connection with Mason? Who was Stephanies husband? When’s the new vlog with Oliver starting? Where has Michael Potts girlfriend gone? Why won’t Nic show his face when the monetisation from all the vlogs goes part way to supporting his chateau? What’s Micheal Pethericks back story? Will Gerry move to Lalande soon? This & many mysteries re Madam Mystery to be solved :)

Reactions: 5
Hi takeaway, I'm loving this thread too as I'd long been fascinated by the goings on at La Lande but none of my friends watch it so nowhere to discuss it until now. Michael Potts' wife Ruth is still very much on the scene but I've noticed she actively avoids being in the videos now (but she can be seen in the background). When she was promoting her book she was happy to appear but I think she may be finding the multiple vlogging a bit OTT and decided to keep a low profile. Nic has never shown his face and although Stephanie has said he's pleased with all the support he still wishes to remain private. Not sure about Michael Petherick's back story other than I think his parents had a place in France and that's how Billy met Gwen and he ended up moving out there too. I am certain Mason is Stephanie's boyfriend as they go away travelling on their own a lot (or did before lockdown).

I kept waiting for someone, anyone, to start a thread, but since no one ever did I came out of lurk mode to help boost it along hahaha. Same as all of you, I've just been so fascinated with everything going on in that chateau. And, well, increasingly disillusioned about this seemingly picture perfect communal life in endless harmony. There just seems to be a lot of conflict brewing under the surface that intrigues me, even more so since I've realised that Stephanie and her mother are desperately trying to pretend it's all just rainbows, butterflies and tacky patterned silk robes in their universe.

Speaking of silk robes - did I already mention how extra creepy it is that everyone in that chateau is now buying the same ones that Stephanie got? When Hanni came out with hers I actually got chills from how creepy and weird this all is. How many middle-aged American housewives are now running around in theirs all day while annoying their exasperated husbands about needing to become a top tier patron so that Stephanie can sent them a card sprayed with high end perfume?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
@pettyicequeen I'm so glad you did boost it along as when I found this thread I knew I'd found my people! Your last sentence really made me smile as that's exactly how I imagine those middle aged American women behaving; their cupboards bursting with Spode ( Limoges and Bernardaud for the wealthier ones) and their beds decked in Yves Delorme whilst they sit at sewing machines running up tartan posing pouches for Gerry.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Thanks for your response earlier Raspberrybrulee there are so many of these spinoffs from Escape to the Chateau DIY now it’s getting rather odd mostly I think due to the Patreon accounts most have set up, sponsored equipment (Chateaulife) who even do sweatshirts! & asking for coffees & the go fund me pages. It worries me that some vulnerable people will be spending their savings on this lot when most are clearly wealthy to have bought & furnished the chateaus in the 1st place (The general public don’t ask strangers to pay their bills). The gift giving videos are now a joke & there’s soon going to be 2 a week. I loved stephs travelling posts in the beginning & talking about history & art but there’s a lot that doesn’t add up about several of these shows, How come she still owns a London flat, Stays in amazing hotels all over the world, mummy has a house in England & a beautiful huge beach house in South Africa? Oh & Percy has a house too so does Gerry. I can’t wait to hear more. Hannis arrival is another mystery as to why if she’s a paying guest is she receiving gifts from viewers (jewellery last week)? Plus she is a CEO according to her webpages? She tends to glue herself to Stephanie & is even dressing like her, she’s gone from polo shirts to floaty gowns & dresses! As for Micheal Petherick I love that he’s so talented with his art, craft & music & makeup/ hairdressing but apart from when he’s at stephanies his videos have got very dull. Loving Dan & his wonderful family, Billy’s new channel wasn’t very inspiring last week, that recipe with a pint of mayo ! There doesn’t seem to be too much substance & the other half was just erecting birthday gifts. Ryan’s tiny French tours are fun at the moment but who is he & where does he come from & why are none of them at work? Are the public expected to work while they follow their dreams? Some channels reply to questions on YouTube but he hasn’t given anything away, at a live chat with steph Michael was asked if he & Ryan are a couple? He said no. Someone mentioned earlier about an episode where someone dared to walked out of the kitchen at Lalande to have a break, looking back I think that was Natie. Why is Marie now so fed up looking? What is going on with Oliver? Why are the wives & girlfriends happy to let their blokes go off on jaunts with Stephanie? There must be a reason? There seems to be a bit of an atmosphere with Micheal & Stephanie & they make great content when they’re together but what was that noise Ryan Made in the car driving to the chateau when Micheal looked startled & said to him you do realise we are filming ? I could go on ! I do really like some of the channels they’ve been amazing as UK TV has been awful recently.

@Takeaway I've noticed so many of the same things you've just referenced. The only thing I missed was the live chat where Michael was asked if he and Ryan were a couple as I had been wondering that. Michael and Stephanie used to seem a lot more natural and spontaneous together whereas now it seems a bit more stilted as they are both churning out endless vlogs and it seems a bit forced. I like Ryan - he's funny and has a unique approach to vlogging which is refreshing. I agree Michael's videos from his chateau have got a bit dull and found Billie and Gwen's dull too sadly. I really enjoy Dan the gardener's though - I think it's because him and his family seem very genuine and I don't begrudge them getting a helping hand as they work so damned hard and clearly don't have any rich relatives bank rolling them - they have literally scrimped and saved and worked their socks off to get on the property ladder. It can't be easy with two toddlers either.

I think Stephanie's and Mummy's money all came from the sale of the care home. It was a massive 40 room mansion and that sort of specialist dementia care is incredibly lucrative - they will have got millions when they sold up. Stephanie may have also got a bit of a divorce pay out as she met her husband at Oxford back in the 90s when it was largely populated by the well heeled. To be fair to Stephanie she doesn't use any patreon money to fund her lifestyle - it's all ploughed into restoring the chateau. I imagine one day it might be left to some sort of charitable trust although presumably Nic will want Antoine to inherit his share.

I think Marie (Nic's wife) and Stephanie genuinely get along and Stephanie and Antoine clearly adore each other. However I detected a bit of an edge with Oliver's wife. And it was odd that he spent half of his holiday in Lake Garda with Stephanie rather than his own family.

I still don't understand how Marie Wiik can make any money doing her flowers as she doesn't appear to have any customers. Maybe her youtube channel and patreon account is enough to keep her afloat.

Hanni's money I assume is family money - I just can't imagine her doing a proper job somehow. I wonder how long she'll stay at the chateau?

Also I can imagine that going forward a lot of these wealthy middle-aged American ladies being bitterly disappointed when they finally get to La Lande and don't have full access to Stephanie.

I'd love to know what is really going on there............

I loved stephs travelling posts in the beginning & talking about history & art but there’s a lot that doesn’t add up about several of these shows, How come she still owns a London flat, Stays in amazing hotels all over the world, mummy has a house in England & a beautiful huge beach house in South Africa? Oh & Percy has a house too so does Gerry. I can’t wait to hear more. Hannis arrival is another mystery as to why if she’s a paying guest is she receiving gifts from viewers (jewellery last week)? Plus she is a CEO according to her webpages? She tends to glue herself to Stephanie & is even dressing like her, she’s gone from polo shirts to floaty gowns & dresses!
Hanni is an absolute mystery to me - a couple of people here have already pointed out that she must be loaded, and it sure seems that way given that she can just decide to live in France and stay as a (paying, I assume?) guest indefinitely. Maybe she works remotely, but even so?!

As for all the other questions - gosh, I just so hope someone will turn up here who knows some inside goss, former volunteers, ex friends (I suspect Stephanie has many, since she seems to attach to someone very intensely and then somewhat lose interest, see Marie), or whoever else. Yes, what about all their properties around the world? How can they keep spinning this story of poverty and struggle when they have vacation homes and real estate in some of the most expensive places in the world?

Marie and Stephanie seemed so close, what happened? Now Hanni is the new bff, guess she has more value than financially struggling Marie, especially if the latter doesn't do all the cooking anymore. Dan seems a cutie, I love that he has a family that seems absolutely normal and non-artsy, just regular people. I rarely watch Michael P.'s videos, I had a look and you are right, they are incredibly dull. Interesting that they were asked about Ryan, I 100% just assumed they are at the very least hooking up, surely. There can't be that many choices for gay guys in rural France, the large cities are all far away from where these chateaux are.

ex friends (I suspect Stephanie has many, since she seems to attach to someone very intensely and then somewhat lose interest, see Marie)
Yes to this!

There’s so much to reply to! Glad we have found others who are sceptical!

Re Michael’s background, I do get the feeling he is somewhat of a professional grifter. He seems to have done a bit of this, bit of that and conveniently has others who have helped him along (Gwendoline + the chateau, Stephanie + YouTube popularity etc). But I can see why he is popular with the sad, lonely ladies. Wish they would realise he’s gay! The YouTube comments make me cringe.

I find his videos are dull because they don’t include many other people. I know a lot of people prefer the renovation but I prefer the gossip and intrigue (e.g. Stephanie’s old videos).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.