The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@alafolie it amazes me how many comments there are from people wishing Michael and Stephanie would get together! I prefer the intrigue and gossip in Stephanie's videos too - far more interesting. That said, I do enjoy Dan the gardener's renovations but only because he makes very fast progress whereas as someone pointed out upthread, Michael spent three episodes on one door. Anyway wish me luck, I'm braving Cadeaux at the Chateaux!

• Sick
Reactions: 7
Interesting, I didn't know Stephanie had been married in recent years. To whom was she married I wonder? She's mentioned her ex was 15 years younger. On the workaway site it says the chateau is owned by a British couple, and previous volunteers mention someone I think named Frank. Can't find her workaway site anymore 🤷‍♀️
To be fair though, I like how Stephanie's videos aren't about her personal life.

I watch the videos because I'm interested in everyday chateau life (makes appreciate my little house ha), design and recipe ideas and decorating history. Her La Mirande video was great, loved it.

Also interesting how Hanni is pinging everyone's radar. Can't put my finger on why and don't want to make assumptions.

Reactions: 5
Hanni is like the energiser bunny she never stops bouncing especially around Stephanie!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Cadeaux at the Chateau was mainly Michael Petherick opening presents mainly and it was hard going - I think I'm going to stop watching them. Hanni had the coveted seat next to Stephanie and Marie was relegated to being mainly out of shot. For some reason Hanni spent most of the video hugging a pile of foam. Mummy got more gardening gloves; I think she's up to about 90 pairs now. Selmar got new clothes for his tango-ing.

I don't think Stephanie's ex husband was 15 years younger as she married him at 23 so presumably the ex who was 15 years younger was relatively recent. She doesn't talk much about her ex husband and I don't think they're really in contact any more.

I am intrigued by her relationship with Mason. I wonder if it will resume once travel restrictions are over?

Reactions: 8
Cadeaux at the Chateau was mainly Michael Petherick opening presents mainly and it was hard going - I think I'm going to stop watching them. Hanni had the coveted seat next to Stephanie and Marie was relegated to being mainly out of shot. For some reason Hanni spent most of the video hugging a pile of foam. Mummy got more gardening gloves; I think she's up to about 90 pairs now. Selmar got new clothes for his tango-ing.

I don't think Stephanie's ex husband was 15 years younger as she married him at 23 so presumably the ex who was 15 years younger was relatively recent. She doesn't talk much about her ex husband and I don't think they're really in contact any more.

I am intrigued by her relationship with Mason. I wonder if it will resume once travel restrictions are over?
I thought the younger ex was Michael Potts - isn't he only 29/30? She's 45, so that works age-wise, and she was with him when she bought the chateau with Nic. Funny, I never put her and Mason together as a couple, he's another weird one to me, clearly from wealth but what does he do job-wise?!

The gift unwrapping sounds painful, I don't know how people get through it. But I presume the middle-aged ladies squealed with delight seeing their darling Michael P. unwrap their scarves, gloves, hats and whatnots. So, has Marie officially been exchanged for Hanni as the bff de jour then?

@pettyicequeen Stephanie bought the Chateau when she was 29 which was 16 years ago and she was with Michael Potts then. If he's only 29/30 now that would mean he was only 13 or 14 back then which seems very unlikely! So I think there must be another ex.

Whenever she stays with Mason it's always at somewhere very expensive and his estate in Vermont is vast so as you say he's clearly wealthy or his family are. I'm certain they're a couple otherwise Nic and Marie Larkin wouldn't have asked them to join their romantic anniversary trip on the Orient Express as if Stephanie was invited to bring a friend it would have been easier to take Gerry, Mummy, Marie W, Natty, Dana, Michael Petherick etc. Also I noticed one xmas she was with Mason's sister for a trip to Paris and then back at Lalande so I think it's more serious than she reveals on camera. Also her and Mason always go to very romantic destinations together and it's always just the two of them in some deserted log cabin in the snow etc

Reactions: 5
@pettyicequeen Stephanie bought the Chateau when she was 29 which was 16 years ago and she was with Michael Potts then. If he's only 29/30 now that would mean he was only 13 or 14 back then which seems very unlikely! So I think there must be another ex.
Hahaha oh God you are right, my brain is clearly not working today - my neighbours have been blasting loud music while renovating and I've been losing my mind slowly but surely these past weeks.

Reactions: 2
I am a patreon but i am also a fence sitter, I pay the $5 a month to get the videos, it's a small price to pay as I do enjoy watching them and it's cheaper then going to the movies. She does give us lots of content although it is now becoming quite repetitive. I will give it a few more months and if the same old same old continues, I will stop paying.

Will Stephanie be a victim of her own success, absolutely.

I am trying be a good person as in the past I would have immediately trashed random people in videos etc..but I will refrain from commenting on the la laland residents/guests.

What I want to bring up here are:

1. So what if her family have money, my family have a few large homes, they worked bloody hard for them, that doesn't mean that automatically entitles them to support me with renovating my own home. From what I can tell, her mother supports her in helping her run the chateau which shows a very supportive mother but why should her mother foot the bill for her own folly?

2. The new channel Chateau Unwrapped despite created with good intentions is woeful. I wish people would stop sending her god awful presents that are only going to end up in the attic gathering dust or worse..at the brocante! The desperados hoping to get their name read out and Stephanie saying how lovely it is and it's one of her favourite things to ever receive is starting to sound contrived. Stop sending her garbage. And a lot of things being sent to her are now people sprouting their wares....some person sent something like 10 hats for Isabel....which they thanked by calling out the persons business....what a load of rubbish...

3. Patreon members are way too entitled. We get to vote how the next portion of money can be spent on. Just because you give a few bucks a month does not permit you to get all hoity toity when your choice isn't chosen. I don't bother reading the comments anymore..too many people thinking they can tell this woman how to run her life. Someone was whinging the other day as they still didn't receive their signed postcard, so they reduced their tier and was then annoyed that their name didn't appear in the credits anymore. Adults carrying on like children.

Sadly Stephanie's price for taking money will see that she has to pander to everyone's needs for fear of a revolt which is a damn shame as the channel did have potential.

Reactions: 19
@pettyicequeen
Whenever she stays with Mason it's always at somewhere very expensive and his estate in Vermont is vast so as you say he's clearly wealthy or his family are. I'm certain they're a couple otherwise Nic and Marie Larkin wouldn't have asked them to join their romantic anniversary trip on the Orient Express as if Stephanie was invited to bring a friend it would have been easier to take Gerry, Mummy, Marie W, Natty, Dana, Michael Petherick etc. Also I noticed one xmas she was with Mason's sister for a trip to Paris and then back at Lalande so I think it's more serious than she reveals on camera. Also her and Mason always go to very romantic destinations together and it's always just the two of them in some deserted log cabin in the snow etc
I’d never really thought about this in that much detail but I think this is totally correct. How did I not see it 😂

In one of her Christmas videos, his sister was there but he wasn’t (or didn’t appear on camera).

My understanding of the men in Stephanie's life:

1. Stephanie went to university with Nic...i certainly had a similar male friend at uni that at one point we did rumpy pumpy but decided to remain friends so I suspect that is the case here.

2. Stephanie met Michael Potts through Oliver. Micheal and Oliver used to work together (and they also used to flat share)

3. Michael Potts is NOT the younger man....there is someone else recent who has not been mentioned....whoever he was, it ended last year...as Nati was nursing a broken heart after spitting from her partner at the same time.

4. Mason - Unsure the relationship...from what i understand, he is an author about sun gazing. I don't know much else.

Wow I just googled Mason and sun gazing, he's goes beyond woo woo into foolishness. He's not Stephanie's intellectual equal that's for sure! Stephanie must keep him around as her dopey, part time lap dog.

In the Valentines video she made it very clear she was single, no doubt disappointing the fans who want to her and Petherick together.

Thought Petherick's Essex Romeo in last weeks video was a cute rebuke to the people who are dreaming of a Stephanie and Petherick love affair.

• Haha
@alafolie I'm probably being really thick here but is that the same Mason as in Stephanie's friend Mason? The person referred to in your link that is. If so, he is around 30 so could be the mystery ex who is 15 years younger except if he's invited on the Orient Express trip he clearly isn't an ex! The plot thickens!

Reactions: 1
Hmm not sure now. Think it’s the same name but the guy in the article would be 50 now so think that might be too old to be him? Not sure!

There’s a sister called Ashley mentioned, can’t remember if that was her name?

Last edited:
@alafolie no I think you're right - I've done some googling and it is him and he does look about 50 - I've no idea where I got 30 from although maths was never my strong point.

• Haha
@Chateau unhinged how did you know Mason was an author on sun gazing? I don't remember that being mentioned. @alafolie yes I'm pretty sure his sister is called Ashley - there's a good vlog from Paris where her and Stephanie went christmas shopping together (I'd love to go xmas shopping in Paris).

Reactions: 1
She sure knows how to pick her men - rich and usually younger than her. Mind you, I'm not faulting her for either, she's a very beautiful woman and I think must be tons of fun to be around. And younger men are usually also more fun to be around once you've hit 40 as a single (?) woman! That Mason guy is...something. Just read up on sun gazing and, um, that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back, yikes.

Does anyone remember David from earlier vlogs? He lived there for ages, was apparently another close male friend, but I don't remember seeing him after last year's winter vlogs?

Oh so cool to find others being as intrigued, fascinating and irritated by the Chateau Diaries.

This Chanel has been nose diving for a couple of months now. What the hell happened?
The work aways- life and eat for free. In exchange they work at least 5h a day. It’s no surprise that they have to do hard labour (cleaning and cooking on a bigger B&B level is no joke, gardening and more hard manuell labour if you can). I always assumed they work much more than what is shown in the vlogs because she made it quite clear on the Work Away page.
What the hell does Marie? Renting a flouristry studio? Who is going to buy those flowers? And she has to buy the flowers first herself. Her YT Channel if new and extremely boring. No way she can support herself in the long run like that. At one point I was thinking she and Stephanie has a thing going but now she doesn’t seem to be the favourite anymore.
Thank God Thomas is gone. He was annoying as hell and not nearly entertaining enough to justify his many vlog appearances.
Why is Stephanie acting like a child? She clearly has endurance and built up and developed this business. She goes on TV shows (France and UK) and really has a hand in milking her audience. That just doesn’t go together. Her approach about her mother and Percy was really sweet but honest and I could really relate. She is an interesting mix of on one hand being completely into second hand but also splurge big time.
Michael Pethrick- seemed nice and funny in the beginning. Now he looks very full of himself and his constant begging is embarrassing (does any of it even go into his Chateau or is he just the witch of the audience?).
Mason- I have never heard about him again after lock down. I though they are either just friends, split up or he is a hock up friend from time to time.
Michael Potts- interesting that his partner is still in the picture. I thought they had broken up. He seems to be in a midlife crisis at the moment.
Nick- I respect that he doesn’t want to be online. Marie is sweet. But they definitely should have taken Antoine out if the public eye. Strangers send this boy tons of gifts and he opens them all on camera and says thank you. And it doesn’t look
as if he is really comfortable in doing so. That is VERY weird. There shouldn’t be strings attached, they are gifts after all. People already act entitled in their online access to him. But if strangers would start sending my child this amount of stuff I would stop that right away. They should have discouraged viewers from sending stuff to him long ago (and in general).
Natti- the only sane person around. But with a major crush on Selmar. I felt there was a weird vibe between her and Marie at one point and seemed that Selmar had something to do with it.
Kat(?)- seems really cool (dark hair, loves alcohol, a bit bigger, drives a cool car).
Hanni- Strange.
Selmar- cool and capable. Crushing hard on Stephanie. Is he staying forever now that he has a 20.000€ workshop there?
Gerry- I try to like him but he is really insufferable sometimes. He was all sorts of the horrible tourist in Egypt. I would have died from embarrassment if I were Stephanie.
Isobel- Sweet but sometimes the wonder if she is already a bit old age eccentric or shows first signs of dementia. Same for Percy.

There seems to be an invisible border between Stephanie and her peers and the work aways. The in-crowd acts very carefree, spoiled and rich. While they made it look endearing in the beginning, especially the guys are truly grating on my nerves. The special interest workers get featured and do probably have a good time, but they will never accompany her to a luxury Portugal trip or Egypt. And why does everyone need their own apartment? I mean, if you own it why not. But Michael Pethrick? Gerry? Oliver?

I will say that Stephanie should tread carefully from
here on. Her whole set up was working really really well. But the gift channel could run dry fast, especially as it seems really forced. And her other channel ideas (travel, history, art) are just too much for one person to carry. It was nice when it was about a more realistic picture of Chateau Life/B&B, it’s hurdles and pleasures and renovations. Now, they seem to produce content to film which falls flat. She should revisit the idea of a LaLandeCockbook with favourite/best recipes from her workers. But right now, she dabbles in to many potts. What happened to the drive? What happened with the Chapel? What are you serving your guests? What luxury hotels will Stephanie visit in Italy? Will she get up at 3am to bake another birthday cake? They are so far away from their relatable (as far as you could ever call it that) content as possible.

The most annoying thing is how everyone tries to jump on the bandwagon.
The entitlement of many of them- who really thinks their life is interesting or important enough to be funded by people on Patreon. I get doing it for renovations. But this has gone out of hand. Most people don’t have the personality to carry it. Michael Pethrick got lucky and now believes his own hype. Stephanie is starting to show the same signs. Dan, while sweet, will probably never make anywhere near the amount. Thomas- hopefully never resurfaces. Marie- should have better looked into setting up a real flower shop with real customers.

Reactions: 15
@pettyicequeen agree Stephanie is gorgeous and great fun and full of charisma. I'd love to be her friend in real life and I'm not surprised she has men queuing up. Not sure what happened to David but I'd say he'll be back at some point.

@Great_Kate welcome! I too was so excited when I found this thread to discuss all things La Lande with. I agree with so many of your insights and will reply in more detail later as work calls!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.