The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am in my 40’s - working but have flexible down time. Last year I vaguely considered a few weeks working/voluntering at Lalande because then, it looked like fun but it was before the huge current success / Patreon account. When I gave it serious thought I realised it wasn’t for me (sadly I need to be paid for work then I thought perhaps I’d go and stay for a long weekend as a guest. Now, as things have changed with increased publicity & success, although I adore Stephanie & the Vlogs (NOT pass the parcel - although I still watch for horror aspect), I don’t actually think it’s a place I’d want to stay as a guest after all: Wonderful to watch it all as a spectator but a vague feeling that one would have to be interesting & fun - and up for partying & lively dinner conversation .... almost as if there’s be a bit of (albeit invisible) pressure as a guest. Perhaps it’s different if you are a couple, but I’m on my own, and it would seem odd if you stayed tucked away in your room and didn’t join in. I think I’d need more energy than I currently have to holiday at a Lalande: They are mostly a bunch of extroverts - which strangely enough I am ... but when I go away, I want to relax completely. Those who don’t shine, stick out like a sore thumb (ie reserved Garden Architectect, whose name I’ve already forgotten). I think I’d feel as if I had a walk on part in a play in a beautiful theatre - but was paying them for the privilege ! But good luck to all who sail in her, or whatever the saying is !

Reactions: 18
Great episode tonight! Ian certainly showed young Philippe who the alpha male was with his electronics expertise. I wonder why Hanni didn't join in the Goddess Workshop? Looking forward to seeing the courtyard finished. Marie seemed very upbeat tonight and more like her old self.

Reactions: 6
I am in my 40’s - working but have flexible down time. Last year I vaguely considered a few weeks working/voluntering at Lalande because then, it looked like fun but it was before the huge current success / Patreon account. When I gave it serious thought I realised it wasn’t for me (sadly I need to be paid for work then I thought perhaps I’d go and stay for a long weekend as a guest. Now, as things have changed with increased publicity & success, although I adore Stephanie & the Vlogs (NOT pass the parcel - although I still watch for horror aspect), I don’t actually think it’s a place I’d want to stay as a guest after all: Wonderful to watch it all as a spectator but a vague feeling that one would have to be interesting & fun - and up for partying & lively dinner conversation .... almost as if there’s be a bit of (albeit invisible) pressure as a guest. Perhaps it’s different if you are a couple, but I’m on my own, and it would seem odd if you stayed tucked away in your room and didn’t join in. I think I’d need more energy than I currently have to holiday at a Lalande: They are mostly a bunch of extroverts - which strangely enough I am ... but when I go away, I want to relax completely. Those who don’t shine, stick out like a sore thumb (ie reserved Garden Architectect, whose name I’ve already forgotten). I think I’d feel as if I had a walk on part in a play in a beautiful theatre - but was paying them for the privilege ! But good luck to all who sail in her, or whatever the saying is !
You have said beautifully exactly what I feel about all this. Thanks.
PS I agree about this nice but too serious for Lalande gardener architect(Davey) who didn't stay long.

@Calvignac 😌 Glad you relate. Let’s face it, who doesn’t like the idea of hanging out with Stephanie? Laughing & drinking tea together out of one of the million china cups she’s been sent. You’d be instant best friends (not !) It would be like hanging out with the most popular girl at school ... until you realised that she would be longing to get away to her study and actually, you’re not friends, you are a paying guest in her home & were you in any other Hotel or Bed & Breakfadt, you wouldn’t want - nor indeed exoect, to hang out with the manger or owner. Stephanie has star quality but for me, I’m going to continue to enjoy it on the small screen & take my vacations in a place where I can truly relax. Wonder if Brenda Gibbons does air bnb ? 😉😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12
@Calvignac 😌 Glad you relate. Let’s face it, who doesn’t like the idea of hanging out with Stephanie? Laughing & drinking tea together out of one of the million china cups she’s been sent. You’d be instant best friends (not !) It would be like hanging out with the most popular girl at school ... until you realised that she would be longing to get away to her study and actually, you’re not friends, you are a paying guest in her home & were you in any other Hotel or Bed & Breakfadt, you wouldn’t want - nor indeed exoect, to hang out with the manger or owner. Stephanie has star quality but for me, I’m going to continue to enjoy it on the small screen & take my vacations in a place where I can truly relax. Wonder if Brenda Gibbons does air bnb ? 😉😂🤣
Spot on. Would be like going to Disneyland and wanting to hang out with Mickey Mouse and friends. On main street it’s all smiles but backstage their heads come off! And dear Brenda . . . I saw her referred to elsewhere as the ‘fairy-godmother of Lalande’ - good lord!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
PS ...@Calvignac thank you - yes of course - Davey ! What a gentle, quiet soul he was. Just because someone isn’t an all-singing-dancing Tomaz or joking-Jerry, doesn’t mean they are a lesser person in any way :)

Spot on. Would be like going to Disneyland and wanting to hang out with Mickey Mouse and friends. On main street it’s all smiles but backstage their heads come off! And dear Brenda . . . I saw her referred to elsewhere as the ‘fairy-godmother of Lalande’ - good lord!!
What a brilliant comparison ! You couldn’t have put it better. Absolutely love that Mickey Mouse/Main Street Analogy ! I would imagine future guests to Lalande will be mostly Super-Fans & Extreme Gift- Givers. And what’s more, they’ll want their money back if (a) Stephanie isn’t there or (b) their gift isn’t framed & on display !

You could stay at Michaels as his house is going to be completely finished by Christmas 😂 Turkey in the Aga 🧐
You could stay at Michaels as his house is going to be completely finished by Christmas 😂 Turkey in the Aga 🧐
@Takeaway 👏😂🤣 Wish I’d said THAT ! Will give him a call 🎄 🛌 🍴 🥘

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Exactly! youve hit the nail on the head

Great episode tonight! Ian certainly showed young Philippe who the alpha male was with his electronics expertise. I wonder why Hanni didn't join in the Goddess Workshop? Looking forward to seeing the courtyard finished. Marie seemed very upbeat tonight and more like her old self.
Agree! Great episode. Hanni may just like to have Stephanie to herself, which is why she doesn't join in trips to the brocabte, going to the Dordogne etc

"That's flouncing, not running" 😂

Loving how the courtyard is coming together.

About staying at the chateau....I'd visit for the weekend, do the goddess workshop, maybe witness Stephanie flounce through the kitchen, visit the brocante. But volunteer there, no thanks. Live there? Absolutely not! That's the point of the videos, we get to visit a couple days a week and not have to deal with hassle.

Really, what is there to do in the area, except drink wine and go to the brocante?

Last edited:
I'm also sure the rude comment was from Michael. Sounds exactly like his voice.

PS ...@Calvignac thank you - yes of course - Davey ! What a gentle, quiet soul he was. Just because someone isn’t an all-singing-dancing Tomaz or joking-Jerry, doesn’t mean they are a lesser person in any way :)
Davey was obviously not comfortable with being on camera, but when he was asked for his opinion on the alignment of the beds or hedge (or something), you can see him immediately articulating his educated opinion very clearly while taking all parties' feelings into consideration. Lalande is very lucky to have him.

Really, what is there to do in the area, except drink wine and go to the brocante?
I'll admit I'll be happy doing this anywhere! Any stay in Lalande will only be a maximum of two days as well as it is a wee bit too far from any 'town' main area to make sense as a holiday, if that! (Yeah, probably not.) I'm not a contemplative creative person, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I am not even sure it is so bad when you are actually there. We often hear about things going on, but don’t see the people that come with it (certain workshops, B&B guests, even some work/volunteer humans). Stephanie has a good hand in her editing but she also created a pretty noticeable character set she likes to show. And she cannot force anyone to appear in her vlogs. I am pretty sure at least 65% of the day are actually rather quiet and people just go on about their jobs. We only see highlights. They only thing problematic is when things get staged to have vlog. It immediately feels strange and people act unnatural. So I think visiting or -if it’s your thing volunteering is probably very nice in LaLande.
Not everyone comes across well on screen though. Some look lovely in real life but not so pretty in 2D, some personalities or way of speaking just don’t translate good through a camera. The vlogs concentrate mostly on people that work with the format. I didn’t even think Garden Architect was that bad -Tomas was definitely worse for me, as is Hanni. It’s mostly down to personal preference.

Reactions: 4
I'm also sure the rude comment was from Michael. Sounds exactly like his voice.

Davey was obviously not comfortable with being on camera, but when he was asked for his opinion on the alignment of the beds or hedge (or something), you can see him immediately articulating his educated opinion very clearly while taking all parties' feelings into consideration. Lalande is very lucky to have him.

I'll admit I'll be happy doing this anywhere! Any stay in Lalande will only be a maximum of two days as well as it is a wee bit too far from any 'town' main area to make sense as a holiday, if that! (Yeah, probably not.) I'm not a contemplative creative person, I'm afraid.
Unfortunately, Davey has already left Lalande. I think he stayed at the chateau only ten days. Maybe less ?

Reactions: 2
The Ian shown last night has popped up a few times over the years but I've never quite understood his position. I thought perhaps he was a friend, who occaisonally arrived with gifts from elsewhere in France or Spain, leading me to think he was a fellow expat. But he doesn't appear to be as close to Stephanie as Michael Potts or Nic or Oliver. After last night, when he said he was an engineer and was loading lots of equipment into the car, I thought maybe he comes to do jobs for her on a professional basis, and that we will see the results in the embargoed TV show.

Stephanie: “But everyone hates the small ones. I mean, really, there’s a BIG size-ist movement against the size of my box”. Cut to Dan the Gardener who does a stirling job keeping on (box-hedge) topic.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The Ian shown last night has popped up a few times over the years but I've never quite understood his position. I thought perhaps he was a friend, who occaisonally arrived with gifts from elsewhere in France or Spain, leading me to think he was a fellow expat. But he doesn't appear to be as close to Stephanie as Michael Potts or Nic or Oliver. After last night, when he said he was an engineer and was loading lots of equipment into the car, I thought maybe he comes to do jobs for her on a professional basis, and that we will see the results in the embargoed TV show.
I understand this Ian is a British expat living in the area. He seems to work around mainly for other British expats who are numerous in this very rural part of France.

Under the new Covid restrictions in Ireland, checkpoints will be organised everywhere in the country to stop people traveling from a county to another one.
Our friend Brenda lives in Donegal. Last time she went to Lalande, she took the ferry in Dublin and had to drive from Donegal to Dublin.
Even if she travels by plane this time, she'll have to travel to either Belfast or Dublin.
Will be funny to see how she's going to manage this.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Under the new Covid restrictions in Ireland, checkpoints will be organised everywhere in the country to stop people traveling from a county to another one.
Our friend Brenda lives in Donegal. Last time she went to Lalande, she took the ferry in Dublin and had to drive from Donegal to Dublin.
Even if she travels by plane this time, she'll have to travel to either Belfast or Dublin.
Will be funny to see how she's going to manage this.

“Don’t you know who I AM? There’s a Christmas Workshop at stake here. Let me through or you’ll be hearing from my Facebook friends, and trust me, you don’t want that!”

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Anyone know how many people have booked in for the christmas workshop? And will they be all staying in lalande. Or basmagniee.

Brenda must be a professional event planner. Hence she saw the business opportunity and organised it. I wonder how much cost it is.

Whatever it is i hope that it will be shown in vlogs. And i really really hope there is another advent series this December

Reactions: 3
Anyone know how many people have booked in for the christmas workshop? And will they be all staying in lalande. Or basmagniee.

Brenda must be a professional event planner. Hence she saw the business opportunity and organised it. I wonder how much cost it is.

Whatever it is i hope that it will be shown in vlogs. And i really really hope there is another advent series this December
Basmaignee is five hours drive away from Lalande.
Usually we don't see the workshops on the video.
Anybody knows what sort of workshops Brenda has organised ?
PS Brenda and her husband used to run an hotel in Donegal if memory serves.

Reactions: 3
I think all the workshops sold out and the xmas one is 1150 euro per person.

@Calvignac you seem to know so much about everything - I'm impressed by your sleuthing skills!

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.