The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just watched the “Peaky Blinders art gate” scene over and over again. Apart from realising I need to ‘get a life’, I’m in the “Hanni said it” camp. Something about the inflection in the voice makes it her comment I think. Might need a forensic investigation (how about a June’s Journey story line worthy of more in-vlog promotion Michael?).

And . . . is it any good anyway? Perhaps it is, due to the pen never leaving the paper skill, but what an odd subject matter (or did I miss Peaky Blinders being mentioned as a favourite of MP?). Surely a continuous Aga/Michael/Ryan/cottage/painted door/‘Pa-Petherick with no safety gear’ drawing would have been more apt?

View attachment 266808
Haha.
In Ryan's latest video, one comment mentions the "Patheticks". A bit harsh 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I watched the video! It was definitely micheal petherick not hanni, bcz he ws wearing a mic not hanni. Hanni's lips are moving but not in conjunction with the words spoken
Phew I thought it was his voice & I can see him making that sort of comment as he tends to be more sarcastic lately, a bit catty 🥱 I think Hanni being a lawyer is perhaps a bit more discreet? ps. I think I need to get a life too & the June’s Journey idea of getting her to find out was classic 😂 I’d like to know if he’s ever actually played June’s Journey too 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
As a new distraction from a rather boring period of being confined to bed/convalescing mode, I watched a couple of Michael P's vlogs. If what I saw is representative of his usual content, it's awfully dull. And, dare I say it, MP is dull. Not exactly Mr Personality oozing enthusiasm from every pore.

And he made what I thought was a barely subtle waving of a begging bowl over the bits for the Aga he's ordered. Which he said are new but also reconditioned. They can't be both.

It must rankle that Lalande has been so extraordinarily successful with Patreon funds. His monthly amount isn't to be sniffed at but it pales into insignificance in comparison. All down to personality (which Stephanie has in bucket loads) and content (no lingering shots of a breeze block being cut), I suppose.

Reactions: 8
Oh no, one of the persistent gift givers suggested on Facebook earlier “wouldn’t it be great if we could get Stephanie to do a programme to show where all the gifts given are situated around the Chateau” ! 🤣
That’s is hilarious - it’s one thing retrieving Great Aunt Bessie’s ugly teapot from the back of the cupboard, but seriously, can you imagine retrieving all these gifts from the attic (and FRAMED as Stephanie said she’d be doing) then displaying them throughout Lalande .... it’s an audacious, impertinent suggestion that must have struck horror in SJ’s heart ....

@julke what exactly is she saying .... ??? I’m sorry for being so thick but what does she mean by this ?! It seems bizarre ..

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
That is how it works though? All work aways work for a business. Where would the work come from otherwise? It’s a cheap way of staying in another country but without the strings of “proper” employment. They are not trained for those jobs, often leave after one to two months, don’t speak the language properly so they would unlikely get a job in that sector. Probably even wouldn’t want to. Especially young people use it to travel the world in their free time when resources are tight. Many do way more then one stay and come around quite a bit. Honestly, what do people expect? LaLande is definitely one of the easier ones. There are no fixed jobs, but they rather look what you can contribute. That’s pretty different than getting up at dawn to help sheering sheets for a week. Or working the fields. The accommodations look also solid and the food is plenty and really nice.
5h a day is also not full employment. They have plenty of time during their stay. This kind of set up is defined not for everyone. If you would rather get paid just do something different.
Thankyou , was beginning to think I was the only one. My son went on a gap year when he was young. Spent 9 months planting trees, clearing walkways and all manner of jobs just for the experience and his board and lodgings. He wasn’t paid... it’s the same thing . It’s life experience for these volunteers isn’t it? There’s no way Stephanie could afford to pay all these people.

If she can't afford to pay staff then surely it's not a viable business and she should move on and do something else? She's a woman of many talents after all.

That's the point. You can not run a BnB, an hotel or a restaurant without paying your staff. It's as if people worked for a company without any wages.
Food and boarding is not enough legally speaking. And many unemployed locals would love these jobs.
You're making money based on their free labour. Not sure that's really ethical... and legal anywhere in the world.
Anyway, Lalande has now a legal structure and I'm sure the volunteers situation has been addressed.

Reactions: 6
I may be going out on a limb here but I think volunteering at La Lande looks like a pretty good deal. You get to stay in a beautiful chateau, with a fun and friendly vibe and meet interesting people plus you get your own room and free food and drink. You also get to feature in a successful vlog if you want to. Obviously you don't make any money but in terms of an enriching experience then I'd say it would be fantastic. Five hours work a day (on average) is not bad at all for all of that. Admittedly you wouldn't improve your French but if that's what you wanted to do then you'd choose somewhere else. I don't think it's a coincidence that La Lande gets volunteers coming from all over the world. People vote with their feet - no-one is making them come - they want to come!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm also a fan of cultural exchange work programmes. But obviously it depends on all parties acting fairly. I think if SJ was exploitative or didn't help foster a happy working atmosphere then she would soon get bad feedback. Likewise, on a couple of occasions a volunteer has been asked to leave early. Stephanie works hard herself and encourages all the volunteers to join in en famille with whatever is going on. Marie said on one of her blogs that they are not confined to sleeping in the attic, but get the pick of the good rooms when they are vacant. The benefits of living in an international community of interesting and talented individuals, and of willingly contributing to a worthwhile project can't be easily equated to hours worked /hours paid. It's an interesting discussion though and I'm still thinking it through after the comments on this thread. I travelled and worked in similar schemes in the 1970s though, and had a fantastic time, so I am probably biased.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I may be going out on a limb here but I think volunteering at La Lande looks like a pretty good deal. You get to stay in a beautiful chateau, with a fun and friendly vibe and meet interesting people plus you get your own room and free food and drink. You also get to feature in a successful vlog if you want to. Obviously you don't make any money but in terms of an enriching experience then I'd say it would be fantastic. Five hours work a day (on average) is not bad at all for all of that. Admittedly you wouldn't improve your French but if that's what you wanted to do then you'd choose somewhere else. I don't think it's a coincidence that La Lande gets volunteers coming from all over the world. People vote with their feet - no-one is making them come - they want to come!
I’m torn as I can see how lovely it would be for maybe a couple of weeks but they do say money makes the world go round & you would need some serious savings to forgo a paid job & live there with no income (like Hanni) Poor Marie though. I know she has patreon money now but she seems to work like a slave with her cooking stints (seem to remember she cooks 4 to 5 times a week!) I know she returned to the UK to work in a restaurant last year then came back to Lalande but she looks so utterly miserable. Looking back at old blogs yesterday she & Stephanie were so happy & inseparable, cuddled, sleeping on the sofa while Michael played the piano. It’s easy to forget that Stephanie does spend astonishing amounts of money on plates, trips & designer outfits. She/her family own countless properties around the world & the “volunteers” are running the Lalande business for a meal & a bed? no money? Sounds like a fairy tale ❤ Oh & they are fantastic to watch on the vlogs which would be pretty boring without them?

Reactions: 8
I can't believe I also spent a few minutes playing back the cadeaux video to decide who made the "appalling artwork" comment. I think it was Hanni.

I'm quite okay with Stephanie spending money on fine things and holidays, as I don't think she is ostentatious about it and it contributes to making her and her surroundings so lovely and interesting. The volunteers are getting the opportunity to spend time in a house and home presumably different to their own and they get to enjoy many of the fine things. Although 'it's just a plate' Cat is clearly not there for the porcelain!

• Haha
With the level of Covid restrictions higher since last night in Ireland, I wonder what our friend Brenda is going to do at the end of the month.
The Irish government asks people not to travel abroad except for work and essential reasons.
Is Lalande an essential reason ? 🤔

With the level of Covid restrictions higher since last night in Ireland, I wonder what our friend Brenda is going to do at the end of the month.
The Irish government asks people not to travel abroad except for work and essential reasons.
Is Lalande an essential reason ? 🤔
I have no doubt she will go to Lalande regardless (she may have to get someone to wrap her in a box & get them to post her as a surprise gift for the next Cadeaux Unwrapped) 🤣 they do sometimes get large parcels 🧐 🤣 Stephanie could then say that’s so beautiful, stunning & amazing 🤣

• Haha
Michael or Hanni then getting caught saying 'Apalling old fart'..........

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Been back for a listen....I think it was Hanni about the picture....

Me too... I can totally see the pull especially now it’s a “thing”......I’d do it for sure.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
@Calvignac I think Brenda could make an argument for it being work as I understand it's a few hundred euros to attend these workshops she's organised. She's so determined on getting to La Lande that I doubt even the Pope could talk her out of it.........

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.