The Chateau Diaries #72 Winter is coming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am from a warm climate where these things are not necessary so can someone help here?

Ammary's suggestion of the new radiators be placed underneath the bay windows seemed odd to me. In winter you would close those heavy curtains against the cold... but thereby blocking the heat from the new radiator? All you would heat is the thin glass panels on the window, surely???

Attachments

Reactions: 17
I can’t help but hear Undie each time SJ uses her name . Here in Australia we call knickers undies . Snicker 🤭

Sure is and it helped me find my daughter when we were on a packed metro in Gare de Norde station , much to the amusement of those around me. “ here I am Mum”
“ goodo Possum ( we call her that)”
I hear "Aundie" (rhymes with fawndie) when she says it...Awhile back there was an advertisement for something or other and a woman was talking on the phone...she was talking about food for a party and she said "...and we'll have an awndeeve salad...no, dear it's pronounced awndeeve...) she was talking about endive...so, since I made a short story long...LOL...I just keep seeing an endive when she says Andie's name in her inimitable way...LOL...
516.png

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I am from a warm climate where these things are not necessary so can someone help here?

Ammary's suggestion of the new radiators be placed underneath the bay windows seemed odd to me. In winter you would close those heavy curtains against the cold... but thereby blocking the heat from the new radiator? All you would heat is the thin glass panels on the window, surely???
Good question! I thought just the same. And I'm in northern climes where we avoid such idiotic ideas if at all possible.
But, have you noticed, they never close the curtains in winter...

This is yet another example of why they need a professional survey of the heap. The resulting Energy Performance Certificate and report would be very revealing and a great help to the heating engineers.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
For what it's worth, I just stumbled across a young artistic queer person's IG which is all about Ren Faire cosplay. She wears different prosthetic pointy ears, some to be a faun, with horns, and some to be a [boi] hobbit. She's adorable, and the conceit makes her elfin features beautiful and more butch as they are not, perhaps, by the light of day.
I didn't know the elfin connection to Ren Faire cosplay. I thought that was about fat people bulging out of cross-laced clothing and turkey drumsticks. But I think there's a whole gender- and race- bending aspect for people whose looks are "anomalous" that I didn't realize.
(I'm tethered to what I call "reality", ie., you can't make this stuff up. Fantasy I find hard to apprehend/empathize.)
When I lived in Florida I went to a lot of Ren Faires and S.C.A. meetings and Necronomicon weekends. There is a lot more involved than just dressing up in costumes and eating smoked turkey drumsticks...oh man!...now I'm craving a smoked turkey drumstick!!!...anyway, some of these people get EXTREMELY involved in cosplay and I loved it!

But she is not a cheapskate when it comes to sheets ….when Nattie was unloading the car sj was name dropping the designer sheets it was stomach turning….
I'll guarantee you that those designer sheets and other bed linens don't go on the BnB beds...those are all EXCLUSIVELY for Princess Stephanie's bed!

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Don't know why the link won't work for me, but it is a question that gets googled, so there are more detailed answers out there!

The idea is that most of the cool air comes in through the window and the radiator heats it up on the way in, takes the edge off the chill/draft coming in the window. Even in our current forced air gas furnaced homes, our vents with the hot air coming up from the furnace are all under the windows. My house is only about 15 years old, and this is still the practice here.

quick edit to add, the thermostat is usually in a hallway in the middle of the house. It triggers the furnace to come on an blow more hot air when it has too cool of a reading. Our homes are nice a cozy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 15

I was a little confused at first, too. Normally, yes, the radiator is placed beneath the window to warm the cold air drafts. But, in this case, that would place the radiator behind the curtain…which is weird and wouldn’t do much good. Then I realized…that curtain is just for show. It’s probably not intended to ever actually close. You’re correct, though…it would make sense to install heavy, functional curtains that could close and keep out the cold. In that case, I would relocate the radiator to somewhere else in the room. I would think that installing functional thermal curtains would make heating that place a lot less expensive. This is why they need an expert heating technician…it’s NOT a “do-it-yourself” project!

On a side note, I once lived in an apartment that was built in the 1920’s and it had the old radiators (steam heat). It was the BEST! I actually liked it much better than the forced air heating system I have now…I guess everyone has their own preference!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I watched the episode where SJ went to Venice with Pethers and there’s a tall women there called Gillian. Am sure she’s her cousin but she hasn’t introduced her in that vlog. David and Donna were there as well, isn’t it interesting how they haven’t been near the chittoo for years. Steering clear from the madness.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Don't know why the link won't work for me, but it is a question that gets googled, so there are more detailed answers out there!

The idea is that most of the cool air comes in through the window and the radiator heats it up on the way in, takes the edge off the chill/draft coming in the window. Even in our current forced air gas furnaced homes, our vents with the hot air coming up from the furnace are all under the windows. My house is only about 15 years old, and this is still the practice here.

quick edit to add, the thermostat is usually in a hallway in the middle of the house. It triggers the furnace to come on an blow more hot air when it has too cool of a reading. Our homes are nice a cozy!
Same here. My fiancee and I were just at my cousin’s apartment in downtown Manhattan. She is renovating. The builders took out the old boiler and the radiators all over the penthouse and replaced them with a modern HVAC system. Notice the vents on the floor by the windows.🙂 It’s going to be a toasty apartment in the winter! 🌨❄🌨 #winteriscoming (pardon my cousin's pose) :LOL: :m

sohoapt.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.