The Chateau Diaries #306 The Chateau Diaries has become Me, Me, Me, Me and How to Spoil Oneself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mother used to do hearty cocktail party food parties, the best food of all and plenty of it. I remember steak tartare, Mushroom pate sandwiches. A whole lot of other stuff. The men couldn't get over it, spent the party surrounding the table, guzzling up the beef. Always elected her queen of the May. They loved that stuff.

Reactions: 22
The menu is all over the place so please humour me, this isn't like a typical tea in any way, shape, or form. Reasoning: the male lead of this season of Bridgerton has a throw away line about just returning from visiting seventeen different cities on his most recent travels, so I am trying to make a menu that is very international and accessible via a Grand Tour (with some glaring holes) that also has things my husband loves to eat. The notion of a "tea" format is because of Bridgeton and my love for Afternoon/High Tea combined with the notion that "gorgeous nibbly bits" are the best things to eat when watching something.

I also wanted to be able to pick up almost everything curbside, and the more local the store the better.

"Sandwiches"

Watercress on wheat two ways - compound butter and egg salad
thin shaved roast beef and brie with horseradish sauce on baby baguettes
cocktail sausage rolls
beef and potato samosas with mango chutney for dipping

"Scones"

I have never successfully made a scone, nor american biscuits from scratch, so I thought about what a scone with cream and jam is at the very core: bread with sauces. So we are having a Mezze. All of this is from a local specialty/grocery store, Phoenicia, made in house. Same with the samosas.

Armenian dolmas with garlic sauce for dipping (Mr. Sassy LOVES garlic.)
Hummus with pesto on top served with naan dippers/house made spiced pita chips
olive tapenade
tabouleh

"Sweets"

lime tarts (Phoenicia)
pistachio baklava (Phoenicia)
macarons (Trader Joe's)

And then I am making a vanilla cake with raspberry filling, raspberry buttercream, and white chocolate buttercream. Long story, surprise for my DH.

Is it waaaaayyyy too much food for two people? Absolutely. Will it last us several meals? Like all weekend? You betcha.

So, once I finish this big push of cooking I should be able to relax a bit for the next few days.

Reactions: 26
So Isabel and her mother own one chateau, one studio flat in the south of France with a harbour view, one x 3 bed flat In Angel, London, a beachfront house in South Africa and possibly and share in a house belonging to Grandma in the South of France and possibly a financial interest in a piece of land in S Africa and part of a house in Spain (or at least a bedroom) belonging to Ollie. Wonderful. And there is Ruby stating he cannot even get a corner of a room in a 50 room chateau. It's neither a dog's nor cat's life.

Reactions: 27
This sounds lovely and I like your idea of a international theme for your tea. Enjoy! I love meals where you can just keep picking at it.

Oh my word. This is fabulous! Chefs kiss. No rules imo! A splendid high tea with your favourite extras... Not much is better 🫖

Reactions: 20
it’s unbelievable isn’t it. Not content with slobbering all over the food , she could have have given guests a rather bad stomach ache or worse. Google is your friend MariE. Do your research before you inflict your stupidity on guests. She’s as thick as two short planks God forbid she takes up foraging

Reactions: 21
That bed they moved though - it is naaaaaasty IMO - that room is already so busy with the new wall paper, needs a simple bed. Note to Billy: just because it's old/antique doesn't mean it looks nice.

Reactions: 15
So am I. I can never find watercress here in France, yet there are loads of old watercress farms in the area!

Reactions: 16
In UK, usually, the watercress are used 3 ways, salad, soup or in egg salad sandwiches. I had never had watercress before moving to UK. I like it in salad personally.
In NZ we do a 'boil up' - potatoes, usually pork pieces and watercress. It's an old Maori favourite. I hate the smell of boiling meat for some reason, so the ex used to boil it in the garage LOL.

Reactions: 18
She is not amusing but a dangerous fool.
Was she gathering deadly nightshade flowers?
Absolutely no idea what the plant is yet thinks it's ok to harvest it. I'm guessing she was picking the invasive comfrey family blue flowered plant that has very hairy leaves.
Wondering now if Snorts could dye them and make his own hair system. VIOLA!

Reactions: 21
Those jugs and plates looked like stuff my mum had in the 90’s! There was also some ropey editing at 17.40

Now how would she know Cam wants to work with trees and not construction? That was never said and he seemed to relish getting stuck in with any job.

Reactions: 19
So am I. I can never find watercress here in France, yet there are loads of old watercress farms in the area!
I'm surprised as my friends (Périgord area and Monaco) all had "salade de cressons." I also think they put some cressons into the "salade tiède de gésiers de poulet". But, it was some years ago so maybe it has changed now and fashion as moved a bit toward new "leaves" to try.

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.