The Chateau Diaries #306 The Chateau Diaries has become Me, Me, Me, Me and How to Spoil Oneself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My instincts naturally go to the country but I’m a city boy at heart. I’m not really looking for a major city, but a smallish town would work. As you pointed out access to essentials like quality medical care is important. That’s really my only must have. There are a few towns I enjoyed visiting years ago, Renaze in Mayenne and Figeac in Occitania. The only large city in the south I’ve spent time in is Carcassonne which was fun in my youth. All this was 30 years ago.
In Occitanie Montpellier and Toulouse are the vibrant towns. And whilst classed as cities, and 2 of the fastest growing and most popular, they still have a town feel to them. Both have excellent, modern transport links and international airports and TGV stations. Both also have fast access to countryside - Coast, mountains, historic sites. Both also have Pôle medical centres the best in the country. When I was ill, living halfway between the two, I could go to either. Access to the Spanish border is fast by car or train, and the motorway network is good. Carcassonne is nice to visit but to live... in 30 years it has changed a lot and suffers from many of the same social issues that I have previously brought up about Béziers. Figeac is historic and pretty but perhaps a bit (!) provincial. Being up there on the Causses it can be a bit bleak in winter. Lovely places to visit but would you want to settle there long term? It's all down to personal choice.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Any idea why Beth now needs her own channel? She didn't buy a chateau, did she?

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
Hubby had his second Knee Replacement today.
Just back from visiting him in the hospital and he was in pain but not so "out of it" like he was last time.
They will get him up walking tomorrow...good luck to the nurses! :oops:

• Heart
Reactions: 38
@M&MsMom - yes I remember the Luxembourg vlog - I was really interested in her sister’s story of how she ended up in Luxembourg- I’m always interested in people who live across the world from their home country.
There was a vlog where a sister and the niece visited their (then) new chateau. The sister didn’t want to be on camera (I think I have that right). I assumed Luxembourg sister was a different one. But I am likely wrong. I don’t watch their vlogs now so I’m just going off their early days of vlogging.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Tattlers who have been here for some time will know that watercress is the new clotted cream!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
I would like the input of our tattlers living in France. I’m looking at retirement locations and France is in the running. Greece and Ireland are in the mix as well. I’m only really familiar with northern France and the environs of Paris. There are some areas in the South and Central parts of the country, particularly the Midi-Pyrenees, Nouvelle Aquitaine and Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes that interest me. Any locations you would suggest for me to explore?
Perhaps look at the area around the border of the Charente/Charente Maritime in Nouvelle Aquitaine. My particular favourite little town is St Jean D’Angely … has a real authentic buzz about it ( as far as little French towns have a buzz that is) but larger towns like Jonzac & Jarnac are also nice. It’s a beautifully green rural area but because of the money from the Cognac industry there is some life to be found. The larger towns of Cognac, Saintes , Angouleme , Rocheforte & La Rochelle are all very interesting and Bordeaux and that beautiful wine region are also within very easy reach.
There are some really lovely tiny little unspoilt towns on the coast which are well worth a visit too.There are lots of places to visit but it’s It is not too touristy at all. Not sure where you might want to travel to/from at any point but it is also quite well served by a number of little local airports …. La Rochelle, Limoges, Poitiers, Bergerac and the more major one at Bordeaux . A 5 ish hour drive down from the ferry ports of St Malo or Caen and 2 hours on TVA from Angouleme to Paris.
(Ps … I may be somewhat biased 😆)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
What is it you want from your location?

That's the question that himself and I are asking ourselves. Not that we're going anywhere in the foreseeable but it's good to be prepared rather than up sticks to a location you're going to end up hating! And you're stuck. Forever!
That’s one of the reasons why I’m asking for input. All my other possibilities I’ve spent a lot of time in. My next few vacations leading up to retirement will be spent traveling to possible locations. It’s mostly about quality of life in a country where that’s important. I’m tired of the American rat race where success is based on your bank account. I love my work but it’s what I do, not who I am. In and of itself that is not enough of a reason though. In my retirement I want to move my home base overseas to enjoy a culture and people different from my everyday experience. I’ve been fortunate in my career and have made and saved good money, so that won’t be a factor. I have no one I need worry about leaving it to, so I might as well spend it on myself. Not on stuff either, but experiences, memories and events. I have always been the adventurous member of the fam and this is a contributing factor. I’m also not particularly interested in expat communities. That’s just a smaller, more insular version of America which has no appeal. Currently my top location is Ikaria, Greece. France is almost equal to Greece based on how much I loved my many youthful visits and the people. The majority of my time in France was in and around Paris though. Ireland is the same with the added benefit of one of my maternal lines originating in Donegal with some rellies still there. (No Gibbons swinging from the family tree, thank you very much)

• Heart
Reactions: 28
@tarteauxfruits maybe you could help me with a query. Could Isabelle be off-loading the flat down south and perhaps her share of the Grandma's flat to her daughter to avoid death duties? Does France have death duties?
Pity the wonderful Yebo;) isn't around to help sort out the South African situation!
Absolutely, they would certainly be anticipating the succession. I wouldn’t be surprised if the flat has already been passed to Stephanie, it’s quite common in France for the living parent/s to live in usufruit within principal family home for the last few years of their lives. Yes, to avoid death duties etc. You can also gift around 100k every 15 years to your children. The flat may have been conveniently passed on to stephameme just prior to reaching this valuation without any tax consequences so I’m sure they’re one step ahead on succession planning.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Absolutely, they would certainly be anticipating the succession. I wouldn’t be surprised if the flat has already been passed to Stephanie, it’s quite common in France for the living parent/s to live in usufruit within principal family home for the last few years of their lives. Yes, to avoid death duties etc. You can also gift around 100k every 15 years to your children. The flat may have been conveniently passed on to stephameme just prior to reaching this valuation without any tax consequences so I’m sure they’re one step ahead on succession planning.
Fortunately in Canada there is no inheritance or gift tax. Lottery winnings are not taxed, either.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
So Isabel and her mother own one chateau, one studio flat in the south of France with a harbour view, one x 3 bed flat In Angel, London, a beachfront house in South Africa and possibly and share in a house belonging to Grandma in the South of France and possibly a financial interest in a piece of land in S Africa and part of a house in Spain (or at least a bedroom) belonging to Ollie. Wonderful. And there is Ruby stating he cannot even get a corner of a room in a 50 room chateau. It's neither a dog's nor cat's life.
You forgot the house in Framlingham and possibly Gerry's house there as well.

Reactions: 23
On the topic of her assets;
Potty owns a flat in the same building as SJ in London. I have checked it a long time ago so I might not remember correctly but I think that they might own the whole unit together with Nick. Since the 3 of them seem to invest in properties together it wouldn't be surprising SJ own some land or even a house in SA.

Reactions: 24
Emalm is having issues again, so can't upload the vlog right now. I'll keep checking, hopefully it will be back up soon...

Also, thanks everyone who posted lovely messages about me going on holiday - I had a great time ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Thank you, just as I thought.
It would be a major consideration for IJ when passing on any of her properties to SJ how this would affect a pre-nup, if there was a marriage between SJ and Pheeph. Having any of her properties in SJ's ownership now, and prior to a wedding, complicates everything. It would presumably be in Pheeph's favour.
As a parent, we can't control our children's choice of partners, but I would be seriously pissed if a gigolo with no income, no outward appearance of solvency entwined himself around my daughter. Then to gain a sizable portion through a pre-nup or through inheritance.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Bullshite! Your mother was exasperated with all that tat he bought into the farm house. She hated it.
He bought the most awful looking nylon/polyester clothes for her; ghastly rubbish. I'm sure she threw them into the bin immediately. How they can claim he has any taste at all is incredible. Also, the fact that Fanny permitted him to rummage around in her elderly mother's bedroom, rearranging all the stuff in her wardrobes and drawers, is beyond belief. I don't like Isabelle but allowing anyone at all, let alone an ignorant, tasteless, trumped up little manchild, to do that, is insulting and disrespectful and Fanny is old enough to know better. There is no way her mother would have asked him to look out for clothes for her. If she did, she was being sarcastic and sending him up, and he is too arrogant to have realised that.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
He bought the most awful looking nylon/polyester clothes for her; ghastly rubbish. I'm sure she threw them into the bin immediately. How they can claim he has any taste at all is incredible. Also, the fact that Fanny permitted him to rummage around in her elderly mother's bedroom, rearranging all the stuff in her wardrobes and drawers, is beyond belief. I don't like Isabelle but allowing anyone at all, let alone an ignorant, tasteless, trumped up little manchild, to do that, is insulting and disrespectful and Fanny is old enough to know better. There is no way her mother would have asked him to look out for clothes for her. If she did, she was being sarcastic and sending him up, and he is too arrogant to have realised that.
There's something very off with the boy rummaging through an old ladies wardrobe. Apart from sizing up any valuables she may have, there is a sexual predator kind of vibe happening. I reckon that boy has been a problem, a serious problem. Lucky old Stephanie Jarvis can sure pick 'em.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.