The Chateau Diaries #208 Dan who is not the man akka "Manless Dan"

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't have a problem with 'you guys' or 'gang' in a work setting - maybe we are more informal in NZ?
A school district superintendent has a doctorate degree in education, makes over $200,000 a year with an incredible retirement plan, is in charge of a multi million dollar budget, oversees 100s of teachers and administrators and thousands of students, and wields an incredible amount of power. Teaching is a profession, it's not casual labor, you are required to have an advanced degree. Calling me and my colleagues a "gang" is not acceptable, especially in an email, which is a legal document. If my principal used 'guys' at a staff meeting, that's okay, but not in written communication. I worked hard for my credentials ,and I worked hard in the classroom. If my boss wants me to respect them, then they need to respect me too. BTW, California is considered very casual overall, just not in the public sector. And I never let my students or parents call me by my first name. Call me old fashioned, I like boundaries.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
That’s actually one of the reasons for heavy starch, especially for natural fibers like cotton and flax. The starch helps to prevent stains grabbing onto the fibers so tightly, making them easier to remove.
We always had starched napkins at the table when I was growing up. Just one of those things lol

I don't have a problem with 'you guys' or 'gang' in a work setting - maybe we are more informal in NZ?
Try it at a Board Meeting, I'm sure you'll get far ha ha

View attachment 1889871

👇 From yesterday's gift grab live chat...

M Parker @Percy Attfield, Mr. Percy, can you please ask Philip to block troll if he has a chance? I hope your trip to SA was smooth!

Percy Attfield @M Parker Isabelle has business that got delayed. We hope it could restart tomorrow. Meantime I have to be in SA by 21 January. I will therefore leave on Wednesday.

M Parker @Percy Attfield I am so sorry that you have to be separated from Isobel yet again, and I will pray that your solo journey goes well.

Percy Attfield @M Parker Depending on whose business are resolved first I will either return or Isabelle will join me in SA. We seem destined to spend a few months apart each year.

View attachment 1889863
Well at least he gets a break from her.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
A girl I used to work with once asked me what I used Kitchen roll for as she never bought it... How can you live without kitchen roll, it has multiple purposes, from mopping up spills, removing condensation from windows, even cleaning windows, wiping sticky little fingers, using instead of a sideplate for a sandwich (saves the washing up) the list goes on and it's recyclable.
It's not recycleable, and usually people throw it in trash anyway because it's nasty. Usually also treated with chemicals. Just a waste of money. For all those purposes you can use..... a rag😉

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Okay sports fans. This thread’s discussion of grabeaux and Caroline Gooder’s role in defending the inhabitants of the shitt-oh and promoting ad watching finally set me off. I spent several hours this morning (I’m off work, bored af and irritated, so sue me) reporting every GAG video, the Grabeaux at the Château channel AND Goody Gooder to YouTube for a variety of offenses. I wasn’t expecting much of a reply but I’m guessing Alphabet is still smarting from the EU’s latest smackdown, this is what I received…

C3D9C87A-3861-4340-859B-820FA1AC3235.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
People dream. Their imaginations were sparked by some gardening, DIY and cooking gurus, especially on the Internet. Well, social networks are full of false promises.
I once cooked homemade ketchup (inspired by a TV program). I did it. I poured ketchup into jars, arranged the jars with a nice lid and label and everything looked great. When I was done with work, I took a picture (not the jars) of the mess in the kitchen (because the bloody TV didn't say that ketchup is spraying everywhere, and you can't cover the pot because you have to stir) and posted it on social media with a message. It's easy to film cooking ketchup for a TV show when behind the camera 20 assistants run into the space every now and then and clean everything up.
Or. A wonderful show about gardening motivated me to create my own organic garden. With our TV gardener, everything was like a fairy tale, and it was impossible to walk through my garden because of the weeds. Not to mention diseases and pests. Our TV gardener had a garden that was not close to the house, but kilometers away from the place of residence, and she "sold" the story that with various organic gardening techniques, you can have a garden where you won't break your back.
I found out on one forum that she has five employed gardeners and a bunch of machinery provided by her sponsors.
I don't watch that show anymore.
Same with DIY projects, sewing, crafting,...

• Heart
That’s actually one of the reasons for heavy starch, especially for natural fibers like cotton and flax. The starch helps to prevent stains grabbing onto the fibers so tightly, making them easier to remove.
We are forgetting that vlog from Amy and Marc… all about stain removal! You do need to be able to spend a couple of days doing the procedure tho and then have a washing line in full sun at least one mile from your back door.

I use linen napkins every day. We have soooo many from previous generations and our own that if I do not use them the next lot will use them for cleaning windows

• Heart
Reactions: 14
l1rwqewZK1wEG2Tmesssc0Zw=s32-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg

Cynthia Lambert
Sad little people cannot bear it when others are happy and thriving. Ever notice that? They feel that they must discredit them. But the rest of us are all having a lovely time, right, gang?

👆
Just as professional as saying "gang" in a Chateau Diaries live chat, LOL. So professional Cynthia. 😂😂🤣
The only time I had any love for a gang is when a gang of kittens followed me down a lane in Italy. Love at first sight.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Elegant hint number one…a diaper service! No idea if they even exist any more. My mom considered going anywhere without one truly roughing it.
I had 2 kids in diapers at once back in 80- 82 and loved the diaper service. I have no idea how they were able to bleach those diapers snow white every week and they were so soft.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
A girl I used to work with once asked me what I used Kitchen roll for as she never bought it... How can you live without kitchen roll, it has multiple purposes, from mopping up spills, removing condensation from windows, even cleaning windows, wiping sticky little fingers, using instead of a sideplate for a sandwich (saves the washing up) the list goes on and it's recyclable.
I can relate to all that.
During lockdowns I was eking it out because it was so hard to get.

• Heart
My colleague was once invited to a Naval base for work and they were invited to lunch with the officers. She said they had material napkins and white tablecloths, so she was paranoid she'd get food and stains everywhere and didn't 'pig out' on the food as she would have, had she'd been anywhere else. :LOL:
She was fortunate she didn’t get invited to a dinner where the port was being passed and spilt drops on her turn.🫣

• Haha
  • Wow
We had a horrible district manager who addressed meetings with “you guys”. Considering we we mainly not guys, the majority being professional women librarians it always rubbed me the wrong way
Jeff Probst on survivor would call the contestants in by saying "come in guys" he was called out for it and changed what he said to "come on in " or something like that on the other hand Laura at Garden answers as asked by a viewer to not say "Hi guys hows it going" like she does at the intro of every vlog. she tried to say some thing different and didn't like the way it sounded and laughed and said "sorry I am not changing what I have been saying for years" so it each it's own I guess it doesn't bother me either way there are a lot more offensive things said than that word

• Heart
My colleague was once invited to a Naval base for work and they were invited to lunch with the officers. She said they had material napkins and white tablecloths, so she was paranoid she'd get food and stains everywhere and didn't 'pig out' on the food as she would have, had she'd been anywhere else. :LOL:
I worked in restaurants and country clubs and have seen people blow their noses in cloth napkins... UGH in public give me a paper napkin any day

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
They rent? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? Or is it rent to own? either way, terrible idea.
now i find 1st season of escape to the chateau and phil said that they wanted to try if chateau life suited them, that's why they rented it. i think they got stuck there. nowhere else to go.

• Sad
It's not recycleable, and usually people throw it in trash anyway because it's nasty. Usually also treated with chemicals. Just a waste of money. For all those purposes you can use..... a rag😉
Uh oh, that word recyclable sets off all kinds of alarms. Just because something indicates it's recyclable doesn't mean that's what happens with it. A lot of stuff still ends up in the landfill with the little recycle label on it. People rarely think of the amount of water, chemicals, and energy it takes to recycle something. Best to avoid anything that's single use to begin with. Easy to say, hard to do. I'm a work in progress with it myself. ♻

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Uh oh, that word recyclable sets off all kinds of alarms. Just because something indicates it's recyclable doesn't mean that's what happens with it. A lot of stuff still ends up in the landfill with the little recycle label on it. People rarely think of the amount of water, chemicals, and energy it takes to recycle something. Best to avoid anything that's single use to begin with. Easy to say, hard to do. I'm a work in progress with it myself. ♻
And we can only be responsible for our own actions anyway. I can get painfully preachy about the importance of sustainability, so try to be as aware as possible that not everyone wants to hear about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.