The Chateau Diaries #208 Dan who is not the man akka "Manless Dan"

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was wondering the same thing earlier today. He has quite a 'blokey' persona and the building site/ boys' toys content might be thought of as male-oriented. However, if the comments on his vlogs are a guide, most of his viewers are female. Probably a lot of them are Chateau Diaries subscribers who transferred across. Getting his chateau would be likely to boost this cross-fertilisation, if those people are tuning in for historical building restoration, but there's been none of that lately, so it's a bit of a tease.

I sometimes have the same question about Fanny; she loves to flash a bit of flesh, but to whom? Most of her viewers seem to be women of a certain age. I doubt they are watching in the hope of seeing up her skirt as she climbs a ladder in high heels.
those grannies dont even notice she is flashing her fanny to the workers... :rolleyes: they are in the opinion she is wearing decent underwear...;)

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
Uh oh, that word recyclable sets off all kinds of alarms. Just because something indicates it's recyclable doesn't mean that's what happens with it. A lot of stuff still ends up in the landfill with the little recycle label on it. People rarely think of the amount of water, chemicals, and energy it takes to recycle something. Best to avoid anything that's single use to begin with. Easy to say, hard to do. I'm a work in progress with it myself. ♻
'Uh oh, that word recyclable sets off all kinds of alarms.'

It certainly does!
We saved, or should say, we used to save all of our soft plastics for a recycling program called redcycle.
Our soft plastic was saved in large green garbage bags and taken to a collection site at a supermarket.

About 3,000 tonnes of soft plastics meant to be recycled were found last December across six sites as part of an investigation into the suspended program, posing potential fire risks.

It equated to around half a billion plastic bags.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I worked in restaurants and country clubs and have seen people blow their noses in cloth napkins... UGH in public give me a paper napkin any day
I use Irish linen every day, but paper napkins for guests. As a die hard snob who believes table manners are a must, I used to pride myself on presenting lovely meals in convivial settings for friends until... one evening, the plus one of a friend used her linen napkin to wipe off her bright red stay fast lipstick at table, blew her nose, then used the edge of the table cloth to finish the job. She was a nice enough person, but had the table manners of an imbecile. I appreciate etiquette in others but this woman makes Jewelyn look like a finishing school graduate. It took 4 washes, and 2 trips to the dry cleaners to get the napkin and table cloth clean, so now I don't bother.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
I had a mate who used to do the marketing and sales for a leather wholesaler - she told me all about leather furniture. Unfortunately most of the stuff you buy is not 100 pure leather, they strip off a thin section of the skin and back it with vinyl, so it doesn't last like a thick piece of leather would. True enough, a 'leather' chair I had started to peel off in flakey bits (albeit after 8 years I think) - whereas my pure leather sofa is still looking good. Who knew that all leather is NOT equal.
thats very true...we had some expensive officechairs bought...they said they were leather...after a few years they started to peel off..on the other hand we have a De Sede couch..like about 20 years and its still in good shape...we need one of the seams fixed because the dogs like to jump in it.. 🙄 but the leather is still very good...just like new...

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Paper towel can be put in the compost but it's not recyclable in Australia.
Something to do with the short fibres.
If it's not contaminated which it usually is when you used it. Also bleached and coloured. Best not to use it at all. And just imagine your compost if you put everyday some sheets of even somewhat not spoilt paper in it. Not much of soil to be produced there. It's just not realistic

Reactions: 8
I use Irish linen every day, but paper napkins for guests. As a die hard snob who believes table manners are a must, I used to pride myself on presenting lovely meals in convivial settings for friends until... one evening, the plus one of a friend used her linen napkin to wipe off her bright red stay fast lipstick at table, blew her nose, then used the edge of the table cloth to finish the job. She was a nice enough person, but had the table manners of an imbecile. I appreciate etiquette in others but this woman makes Jewelyn look like a finishing school graduate. It took 4 washes, and 2 trips to the dry cleaners to get the napkin and table cloth clean, so now I don't bother.
The Very Elegant Nic Tightpants would have called the Police and had her removed from his Elegant Flat for that !!!! :eek:👮‍♂️

• Haha
omg Dana!!! pushing her hair back, touching the food, wiping her nose on the back of her hand, touching the food.... do none of these people have any kitchen etiquette?
or kitchen hygiene.

Lipstick stain removal.
It's a pain.

Reactions: 13
Same in my area. Blue bags given by council for rubbish, green bags for recycling, black bins for food rubbish and brown bags for garden waste at £1 each or £65 per year for a garden waste bin.
You have to rent a bin? That is theft! We can use any container, the garbage collection/garden waste etc collection is all part of our taxes... I have brown bags but only for overflow, I use a Rubbermaid garbage bin for garden waste... It's all such bullshit, but gotta play their game or your stuck figuring out how to get it to the dump... I refuse to buy black garbage bags that don't break down in landfill, so just put my garbage directly in the garbage bins.

Reactions: 9
thats very true...we had some expensive officechairs bought...they said they were leather...after a few years they started to peel off..on the other hand we have a De Sede couch..like about 20 years and its still in good shape...we need one of the seams fixed because the dogs like to jump in it.. 🙄 but the leather is still very good...just like new...
My mother used to work at DeSede for almost 20 years. We lived at the Swiss border back then, it's a Swiss company which produced in Germany. She came from Yugoslavija, my father was already in Germany for a year. He found her the job and told them that she could sew. She wouldn't even know how to use an elec. sewing machine to make clothes 🤣 She was shocked when she started the very first day and realised she had to sew couches from leather. She grew up not even having proper shoes let alone a living room with a couch. Somehow she managed it. At xmas there was always a tombola and people would win DeSede products. Not only pillows or other small items but couches and chairs. Really expensive products. She won quite often an armchair, so we had a couple of different armchairs. 🤣 When I moved out I took one and sold it and bought my first car. Fiat 126 for 2000 Deutsche Mark.

When she had to change some clothing for us kids she took it to work and did it there so we ended up our lovely dresses being sewn with huge needles and big holes and some extra strong and thick thread because the needles for leather were gigantic. 🤣 I would cry because I found it was ruined but she she always pulled the "when I was small I had no shoes" card. They were saving as much as they could, not even wasting money on proper thread, being grateful. They wouldn't complain about old hospitals, unless you didn't cut your leg off they wouldn't go to a doctor anyway.

PS: glycerin is the go to to maintain leather.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
When you don’t have any money for extensive renovation and restoration and you are short on content like Shrek and the Sewer, film yourself cleaning a sewing machine. If any of you are having a hard time sleeping, put on a Minor and Faker vlog - better than a sleeping pill.

43996C1C-6292-479B-965C-8CC470A258F5.png

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Dana cuts the cheese.. :giggle:
its always cheese...i guess she gets a discount from the goatcheeseman..have to say her chicken with rice looked good..also her strudel with ice...and as i am also a cheesperson i dont mind a cheesedish..i just dont like the fact she is always touching her nose and her hair when she is preparing food..also her kitchen is a bit cramped ..but it looks clean...and seeing her herbs....its just the same here...whenever we go shopping ...my husband wants to go into delicatessenshops...so we have loads of herbs and things.. :eek: and when i want something...i cant find it...

• Haha
When you don’t have any money for extensive renovation and restoration and you are short on content like Shrek and the Sewer, film yourself cleaning a sewing machine. If any of you are having a hard time sleeping, put on a Minor and Faker vlog - better than a sleeping pill.

View attachment 1890315
i know how to clean an antique sowingmachine..we have a few...so i dont need to watch...btw i cant sow... :LOL: i only can nit a scarf...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I love to wear lipstick, but when I go out to eat, either at a restaurant or private home, I wipe it off so I don't get it on the glasses or the napkins. Even commercial dishwashers can't get the residue from lipstick off the glasses. There's something not so nice about setting your elegant stemware down and there's lipstick residue on it, and heaven forbid, blowing your nose into a napkin at the table! Yes, standards certainly have slipped. We can now add dining etiquette consultation in addition to design and grammar on this forum. 🍽 🍷

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.