The Chateau Diaries #178 The château is a dream that hides an ugly truth..

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate the sticker name tags. I wouldn’t wear it. For a very, very affordable price, Stephanie, or someone, could have had peacock lanyards and VIP name badges made. Could have had their picture, name, where they are from, patron level and how long they’ve been a patron. The guests would have eaten that up and so would we. It would have had a 1 billion percent better perceived value and it would be something the patrons could keep and treasure. A missed opportunity.

Something like these below, but CD themed.

View attachment 1562790

*You witches missed out on Tartlet Days, September 6, 7 & 8 in Key West, Florida. It would have been amazing.
Exactly - it is those attention to details that makes a big impression. You don't think they do but they really, really do. But then again someone would need the administrative skills as well as event planning skills to pay attention to the details and we know that is not CDLL.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Brenda’s Original Post

What are the most important things in life?
To be healthy, happy & kind would be a fairly good trio of assets to start with.
I am always saying, do things that make you happy. For some of us that might be, reading, cooking, supporting a football team or maybe even scaling very tall buildings half naked!! to name a few. Not all of us will enjoy those topics & will shudder at the thought of having to endure them....but then of course we are blessed with choice, the ability to choose to do what we want.
Most members here have a few common threads, the love of all things French, Chateaux with a special emphasis on Chateau de Lalande. Without a doubt there are many members of society who would cry at the thought of having to endure our chosen topics, just as I would struggle to play a game of bingo, attend a football match or go for a cycle. However, I couldn't see myself going onto a social platform to scandalise & ridicule the people who do, nor would I get on a soap box about the way the football clubs etc are managed, how they attract members or indeed what profit they make off them. Again we have a choice, watch the game in the local pub, watch the game at home using a streaming service, watch the game live @ stadium or buy the latest jersey & watch the game @ the stadium. All these choices come with a price tag, as with any hobby.
It is much the same for us, we can watch The Chateau Diaries on You Tube plus we have the added bonus to become patrons...that is our choice, it won't be everyone's choice for different reasons.
However, if you get enjoyment out of being a Patron & it makes you happy...that is all that counts.Embrace it & participate. You only have to justify your choices to yourself & your God, no one else.
Since records began there have always been people who enjoy judging others....it is their hobby, one that has increased in popularity with the internet. We will never change it, just as we can't change the stripes on a zebra. Is it right or is it wrong, is it jealousy is it this or that.....I don't think we should beat ourselves up about it. If it makes them happy...let them batter on
We too will batter on, continuing to enjoy what makes us happy.
Life is too short to spend it getting our knickers in a twist over what someone else thinks....especially strangers.....

Response from Neil
Well said! I made a long comment about patrons complaining about the fact that they didn’t see what they paid for.
In the nicest of terms I explained they had misunderstood the terms of being a patron. They didn’t determine what was shown, the content was determined by Stephanie or the other YOuTuber putting out the vlogs. To think that you are a patron and as a result can determine and drive the content is completely the opposite to what being a patron is.
I’m a lowly patron but the disgusting comments I’ve seen have made me really despise the way they think their money they’ve freely donated should drive the content and the restoration of the chateaux. It doesn’t, never did, never will. To think that your donation will drive content shows that you have completely misunderstood what being a patron means both now and historically.
Da Vinci was patroned by the Medici yet they never told him how to paint, they gave him a subject and he painted it in his own way.
Patrons donate freely and that should allow the chatelaine to use the money for the necessary work or restoration needed. To demand to see restoration projects in progress is not what you pay for. You will be regularly shown, often monthly where your money has been spent but that doesn’t mean that you get to see it. There are other contracts involved.
Owning a chateau and it’s up keep is expensive as is it’s restoration. Our donations as patron are very carefully accounted for and spent carefully. To suggest otherwise is a slur on Stephanie’s accountability. She has been nothing but transparent with the use of her patron donations.
She doesn’t need to be so open about the spending of her own money such as the monetisation of the diary vlogs and does so transparently on Cadeaux at the Chateau purely as she wishes to give back to the community that have been so generous to her.
Patrons, no one is forcing you to donate. Your donations are for the chatelaine to do with as is needed and it’s their decision to report transparently to the patrons where their money is spent. You don’t have the right to drive content, demand to see progress on projects or make demands on what should or shouldn’t be done.
We are financial supporters and that is all we are.
I for one patron am delighted to receive an extra video a week and know where my money was spent. Providing its going to the betterment of La Lande and its community I am so very happy that I’m making a difference.

Brenda to Neil
I understand where you are coming from. Patreon is a subscription we pay to enable creators to have a steady income in order to allow them to pursue a creative career that would not be possible without that income stream. In return, we receive exclusive content relating to the creator. That income belongs to the creator, as patrons we have no say what so ever how they spend or save it, as long as we receive content we have no grounds to groan, if we don't enjoy the content, unsubscribe, its a monthly system so cancelling is easy. Stephanie however done something very unique from day 1 of her patreon, she pledged that she would use all her patreon income to restore the chateau. This was not only a good marketing tool, it also gave patrons a feeling that they were part of the restoration team at Lalande. Each month goals would be set to raise a certain amount plus patrons would vote on what the next project should be. This level of inclusion has given some people the impression they have a greater say. Stephanie has come under fire, & some very unkind comments have been made that she is funding the restoration of her home through donations. This is very untrue, & inaccurate. Stephanie has NEVER set up go fund me type appeal. Just like Sky we sign up to a certain package, we pay a subscription we view the channels within our package, Patreon is the same.....I often wonder did Rupert Murdock get the same scrutiny when he had a 39% stake in Sky!!! Stephanie uses the restoration of Lalande for her content, but, what projects she decides to undertake, how she project manages it , is her sole decision....well maybe Isabelle has a casting vote!!, just as a Sky subscriber has no influence over what programs Sky purchases!. On a personal note, I do not think Stephanie should provide any accounts to Patrons.

Neil to Escape to Chateau de Lalande & More
I’m unsure what you are telling me. Am I out of line for saying what I did?
Please explain what I said was wrong as I’m fully supporting Stephanie and La Lande.

Brenda to Neil
no you are not wrong,absolutely not, I am only explaining 1st the concept of Patreon, because people out there do believe it is a donation platform, & some believe they are donating to a project. Stephanie made a pact with herself & her patrons that she would use her income from her Patreon channel to fund the restoration on the chateau. Then, I was just explaining why some patrons will come across as if they have a "say" in the order of things, if you watch the earlier patreon vlogs, where there were monthly targets etc. More recently larger projects have been undertaken which have been time intensive, for example The Marquis suite. Some people were upset because we didn't see the ongoing progress of this & had to wait until it was aired on C4. Some people felt short changed. The truth of the matter is that program has a global viewership, which in turn highlights The Chateau Diaries channel & Patreon maintaining & helping their support grow. The cost of this exposure on a rate card basis would be prohibitive. Therefore it is an excellent commercial decision to contribute to the series. It was just unfortunate that this project was very labour intensive, very much worth it I am sure we can agree. Of course Stephanie wants to keep everyone happy, but sometimes it is not possible to make an omelette unless we crack the eggs. No you were not wrong, I am just highlighting views from every perspective.We should just watch & enjoy the content as it is available & as you say place no pressure on anyone.

Then ANOTHER person joins in.

When people get notoriety people get jealous. The smear videos are like the National inquirer they get traction off of Stephanie’s notoriety .
So what right do they get to complain when they are using Stephanie’s own work to get monetized.
But the jokes on them even negative press drives up Stephanie’s social media and YouTube channel.
Psalm23:5

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.

And Stephanie sows goodness . She takes gifts and gives back by opening them on air . Sowing into Charities.

She helps her fellow Chateau owners and their Channels.

Stephanie understands
A secret of sowing kindness . Videography is hard work. The software a learning curve Video equipment hard work.
Waiting on upload can be hours especially if YouTube glitches.

If you listen to Chateau DIY just electrics and water and heat start at 6000 a month to run a basic Chateaux some up to 15,000. That’s just the monthly expenses .
Le sigh, Neil…dearie…patroned is not a word…patron, patroness, patronage are. Do please refer to the OED before deciding the rest of us are too stupid for words…dearie.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I hate the sticker name tags. I wouldn’t wear it. For a very, very affordable price, Stephanie, or someone, could have had peacock lanyards and VIP name badges made. Could have had their picture, name, where they are from, patron level and how long they’ve been a patron. The guests would have eaten that up and so would we. It would have had a 1 billion percent better perceived value and it would be something the patrons could keep and treasure. A missed opportunity.

Something like these below, but CD themed.

View attachment 1562790

*You witches missed out on Tartlet Days, September 6, 7 & 8 in Key West, Florida. It would have been amazing.
My husband goes to a Jazz Festival every year (sometimes I go too) and he keeps all his lanyards and badges. We have about 12 years worth now. So I agree the Lala fans would have loved to have something like this as a keepsake.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Don't write like that.
They can't wait for confirmation that we, here, have no life!
This shajtshow will top all my lives i will ever have, to watch potty's mandatory rounds when he will pretend that he is interested in these ladies perception of what the shjitooo is and how they adore him and the qween of the lost lake...cannot wait

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Brenda’s Original Post

To be healthy, happy & kind would be a fairly good trio of assets to start with.
I am always saying, do things that make you happy. For some of us that might be, reading, cooking, supporting a football team or maybe even scaling very tall buildings half naked!! to name a few. Not all of us will enjoy those topics & will shudder at the thought of having to endure them....but then of course we are blessed with choice, the ability to choose to do what we want.
Most members here have a few common threads, the love of all things French, Chateaux with a special emphasis on Chateau de Lalande. Without a doubt there are many members of society who would cry at the thought of having to endure our chosen topics, just as I would struggle to play a game of bingo, attend a football match or go for a cycle. However, I couldn't see myself going onto a social platform to scandalise & ridicule the people who do, nor would I get on a soap box about the way the football clubs etc are managed, how they attract members or indeed what profit they make off them. Again we have a choice, watch the game in the local pub, watch the game at home using a streaming service, watch the game live @ stadium or buy the latest jersey & watch the game @ the stadium. All these choices come with a price tag, as with any hobby.
It is much the same for us, we can watch The Chateau Diaries on You Tube plus we have the added bonus to become patrons...that is our choice, it won't be everyone's choice for different reasons.
However, if you get enjoyment out of being a Patron & it makes you happy...that is all that counts.Embrace it & participate. You only have to justify your choices to yourself & your God, no one else.
Since records began there have always been people who enjoy judging others....it is their hobby, one that has increased in popularity with the internet. We will never change it, just as we can't change the stripes on a zebra. Is it right or is it wrong, is it jealousy is it this or that.....I don't think we should beat ourselves up about it. If it makes them happy...let them batter on
Life is too short to spend it getting our knickers in a twist over what someone else thinks....especially strangers.....

Response from Neil
Well said! I made a long comment about patrons complaining about the fact that they didn’t see what they paid for.
In the nicest of terms I explained they had misunderstood the terms of being a patron. They didn’t determine what was shown, the content was determined by Stephanie or the other YOuTuber putting out the vlogs. To think that you are a patron and as a result can determine and drive the content is completely the opposite to what being a patron is.
I’m a lowly patron but the disgusting comments I’ve seen have made me really despise the way they think their money they’ve freely donated should drive the content and the restoration of the chateaux. It doesn’t, never did, never will. To think that your donation will drive content shows that you have completely misunderstood what being a patron means both now and historically.
Da Vinci was patroned by the Medici yet they never told him how to paint, they gave him a subject and he painted it in his own way.
Patrons donate freely and that should allow the chatelaine to use the money for the necessary work or restoration needed. To demand to see restoration projects in progress is not what you pay for. You will be regularly shown, often monthly where your money has been spent but that doesn’t mean that you get to see it. There are other contracts involved.
Owning a chateau and it’s up keep is expensive as is it’s restoration. Our donations as patron are very carefully accounted for and spent carefully. To suggest otherwise is a slur on Stephanie’s accountability. She has been nothing but transparent with the use of her patron donations.
She doesn’t need to be so open about the spending of her own money such as the monetisation of the diary vlogs and does so transparently on Cadeaux at the Chateau purely as she wishes to give back to the community that have been so generous to her.
Patrons, no one is forcing you to donate. Your donations are for the chatelaine to do with as is needed and it’s their decision to report transparently to the patrons where their money is spent. You don’t have the right to drive content, demand to see progress on projects or make demands on what should or shouldn’t be done.
I for one patron am delighted to receive an extra video a week and know where my money was spent. Providing its going to the betterment of La Lande and its community I am so very happy that I’m making a difference.

Brenda to Neil
I understand where you are coming from. Patreon is a subscription we pay to enable creators to have a steady income in order to allow them to pursue a creative career that would not be possible without that income stream. In return, we receive exclusive content relating to the creator. That income belongs to the creator, as patrons we have no say what so ever how they spend or save it, as long as we receive content we have no grounds to groan, if we don't enjoy the content, unsubscribe, its a monthly system so cancelling is easy. Stephanie however done something very unique from day 1 of her patreon, she pledged that she would use all her patreon income to restore the chateau. This was not only a good marketing tool, it also gave patrons a feeling that they were part of the restoration team at Lalande. Each month goals would be set to raise a certain amount plus patrons would vote on what the next project should be. This level of inclusion has given some people the impression they have a greater say. Stephanie has come under fire, & some very unkind comments have been made that she is funding the restoration of her home through donations. This is very untrue, & inaccurate. Stephanie has NEVER set up go fund me type appeal. Just like Sky we sign up to a certain package, we pay a subscription we view the channels within our package, Patreon is the same.....I often wonder did Rupert Murdock get the same scrutiny when he had a 39% stake in Sky!!! Stephanie uses the restoration of Lalande for her content, but, what projects she decides to undertake, how she project manages it , is her sole decision....well maybe Isabelle has a casting vote!!, just as a Sky subscriber has no influence over what programs Sky purchases!. On a personal note, I do not think Stephanie should provide any accounts to Patrons.

Please explain what I said was wrong as I’m fully supporting Stephanie and La Lande.

Brenda to Neil
no you are not wrong,absolutely not, I am only explaining 1st the concept of Patreon, because people out there do believe it is a donation platform, & some believe they are donating to a project. Stephanie made a pact with herself & her patrons that she would use her income from her Patreon channel to fund the restoration on the chateau. Then, I was just explaining why some patrons will come across as if they have a "say" in the order of things, if you watch the earlier patreon vlogs, where there were monthly targets etc. More recently larger projects have been undertaken which have been time intensive, for example The Marquis suite. Some people were upset because we didn't see the ongoing progress of this & had to wait until it was aired on C4. Some people felt short changed. The truth of the matter is that program has a global viewership, which in turn highlights The Chateau Diaries channel & Patreon maintaining & helping their support grow. The cost of this exposure on a rate card basis would be prohibitive. Therefore it is an excellent commercial decision to contribute to the series. It was just unfortunate that this project was very labour intensive, very much worth it I am sure we can agree. Of course Stephanie wants to keep everyone happy, but sometimes it is not possible to make an omelette unless we crack the eggs. No you were not wrong, I am just highlighting views from every perspective.We should just watch & enjoy the content as it is available & as you say place no pressure on anyone.

When people get notoriety people get jealous. The smear videos are like the National inquirer they get traction off of Stephanie’s notoriety .
So what right do they get to complain when they are using Stephanie’s own work to get monetized.
But the jokes on them even negative press drives up Stephanie’s social media and YouTube channel.

You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.

And Stephanie sows goodness . She takes gifts and gives back by opening them on air . Sowing into Charities.

Stephanie understands
A secret of sowing kindness . Videography is hard work. The software a learning curve Video equipment hard work.

If you listen to Chateau DIY just electrics and water and heat start at 6000 a month to run a basic Chateaux some up to 15,000. That’s just the monthly expenses .
There is a lot I could say about this, but I'll sum it up in just a few lines...
Someone needs to look up the true meaning of notoriety.

Or, perhaps they already have? In that case, well played! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
Brenda’s Original Post

Response from Neil

Brenda to Neil

Brenda to Neil

Stephanie understands

Big B the two-faced loud mouth sanctimonious know it all. It must pain her that she didn’t think of this scheme herself.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
What's your favorite cheesehead recipe?
I enjoyed freshwater fish fry in Wisconsin and Hmong food. And cheese curds which squeaked like mice when you bit them. Only in America.
View attachment 1562870
My grandmother from Minnesota used to make a beef stew that she would then put in the oven with biscuits on top and bake the whole thing so every scoop of stew got a fresh biscuit too. My grandfather from Minnesota was the real cook in that relationship though, he taught her how to cook. He would make a baked chicken in a camp oven out in the yard in the summertime that would make you cry it was so good. He’d make jam from a wild plum tree in his backyard too. He could cook anything on anything. Whenever we’d go on a car trip he’d whip out the cast iron skillet and the camp stove and make bacon and eggs or hamburgers along the way. Who knew it was such luxury! My dad did the same. Snack food favorite - pickled herring and onion in white wine sauce with club crackers.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Hey Brenda- just like in real life the people who pay the bills get to make the decisions…

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
As much as Stephanie & Philip go on about porcelain and table settings and serving accessories and proper this and that, this lunch set up really sucks. 1% effort. S&P were thinking, just like @lyna said, “They won’t know the difference”. I guess when we were all expecting 0% effort, 1% is a job well done.🤮
Considering the linen, crystal and porcelain they have, and that these people are their employers, I think you are correct that this is a massive FU. Staged in the Guano Room with paper napkins and approx an anorexic 1 1/2 oz. shady-looking meat per person. If ham, it is literally the weirdest ham I've ever seen.
I don't know about you, but when my boss comes over for dinner, there's more meat. Carefully calibrated not to appear obsequious, but deffo more meat.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
It says Corral (Brittish)
Thanks! That Colleen was a guess!

i have also been thinking about some of the questions about Isabelle and Clara and where are they? I remember in another recent thread Isabelle mentioning that they would be going to patreon days not to create scenes, act outrageously, etc, but be calm, rational, with facts and evidence asking for answers. She also said she would see ua on the other side. I am paraphrasing her here.
personally, I think we won’t here anything right now. I also feel we have to avoid insults, demeaning behaviours, etc, here against laland. I remember Isabel mentioning that as well. Sorry I can’t be more specific and find what I am referencing. Anyway, not telling people what to do here, just had a sudden recollection of reading posts from Isabelle. So I am going to be a bit careful what else I post or respond to. Do not want to jeopardize anything. 🤐

• Wow
Reactions: 17
My grandmother from Minnesota used to make a beef stew that she would then put in the oven with biscuits on top and bake the whole thing so every scoop of stew got a fresh biscuit too. My grandfather from Minnesota was the real cook in that relationship though, he taught her how to cook. He would make a baked chicken in a camp oven out in the yard in the summertime that would make you cry it was so good. He’d make jam from a wild plum tree in his backyard too. He could cook anything on anything. Whenever we’d go on a car trip he’d whip out the cast iron skillet and the camp stove and make bacon and eggs or hamburgers along the way. Who knew it was such luxury! My dad did the same. Snack food favorite - pickled herring and onion in white wine sauce with club crackers.
Swooning. No disrespect to your sainted grandpa and dearest papa, but Daddy-made plum jam has got to be the most delicious.
My father brewed beer and froze salsify and other weird olde skool Carolina veg from his garden. Miss them all.
Amazon product

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 3.54.54 PM.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
View attachment 1562102

After all the hard work...
Let's not forget, Philip Janssen's birthday is Monday, September 12th. How will that be celebrated???
Gift grab birthday in bed???
Dancing in the kitchen???
A big boy dinner at a restaurant???
A trip to London town???
Turkish hair transplant???
Custom made heeled shoes from Venice???
He and O can go for "kebabs".

When I make VIP can I come to your parties?
The fish shack is just outside the VIP lounge, to the left :sneaky:, as anybody with moonshine in the garage refrigerator knows. All are welcome. White trash cooking, Carolina shag and fais do do all specialties.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Swooning. No disrespect to your sainted grandpa and dearest papa, but Daddy-made plum jam has got to be the most delicious.
My father brewed beer and froze salsify and other weird olde skool Carolina veg from his garden. Miss them all.
Amazon product

View attachment 1562960
Pickled okra! My great grands from SC had a two acre veg patch for just the family. They built their own log cabin. Had a still in the woods. 😉 My cousins still live on the land.

IAM trying to catch up and I’m on pg 16/20. I just realised that they’ve used the Tilda fabric for tablecloth 😫😤 on the long table. Sorry if it has already been said.
Oh that is just crappy. crappy.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Brenda’s Original Post

Response from Neil

Brenda to Neil

Brenda to Neil

Stephanie understands

We have a saying in the South …’You can’t fix stupid.’ These two (Brenda & Neil) are not redeemable. Let them live in their sanctimonious dream world. It’s quite sad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I wonder why Philip didn't do his infamous charleston in his overalls? 🧐
I wouldn't mind having something fun with such a clip - Come On Eileen, anyone? :sneaky:
Coco looked like Vicky Pollard and she danced like her too...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Are these people mad or just brainwashed. I guess they would have to admit they were duped. They are looking to put an explanation on the deceitful behaviour that suits the narrative otherwise they have to admit they were conned.
indeed...and what those social media post concerns...it always reminds me when is see posts from friends on holiday...its all marvellous and exciting...but when you talk to them later in private...different stories come out...this wansnt so great etc...the rooms were bad...we stayed next to a busy road...the staff was rude...those people in attentence will neverpublicly say they were dissapointed..Imagine how loud their friends would laugh... 🙄 .

i think a lott of those patreons will be desilusioned by their welcoming..she better had nice marquies in the garden..with wooden floors , nice tables and chairs...nicely decorated..a good caterar providing food and drinks.. but it had to be done on the cheap...nothing is ever good enough for Madame..everybody else can eat old bread..

to use a garage as a banqueting hall isnt so strange...its done more in the country...but people clear it out first...make sure there is no dust or filth left..clean it thoroughly and decorate it nice..hire good furniture and take care of lotts of good food and drinks..

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.