The Chateau Diaries #144 For $300/m my Patreons get an original copy of my fanny on a photocopier, signed

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Since this is in relation to the USA and Canada during that period there were 11 million Native Americans pregenocide... Why are any of you going backwards from the time France was established??? Thats backwards... But hey if ever 99 percent of the people living in the area of France are killed due to ignorant illegal immigration and genocide then you may have a point...
look.. what happened to indigenous populations was/is unspeakable, but unfortunately, man's history has never been pristine from a conquerors'/ powerbase perspective, for example slavery, femicide, sex trafficking, and on and on and on - the Roman's were certainly not saints too
Pardon the derailment:

We all need to have a broader point of view of history, and no, I don't mean colonization is justified or glorified, just a broader view of history.
Fact is, almost every dominant culture/civilization in history attempted to rule over other people groups and claimed lands they had no right to.

My nanny came from the Philippines. She taught college-level history in the Philippines before she moved to the US. When the Spaniards arrived in the Philippines, they did not try to kill all the natives (they did kill a lot though), but they did subjugate them--and created a caste system that was based on birthplace, ancestry, and skin tone. The caste system has become so entrenched in the country that to this day, any person with a lighter skin tone is deemed more beautiful, intelligent, and superior. Prior to the arrival of the Spaniards in the Philippines, native tribes fought against each other for territorial expansion to the point of almost extinction. Historians agree and evidences prove that such is the case among the tribes of the Americas, Africa, Asia, and even Europe. It is with wry shame I admit that even my people, after leaving a life of subjugation and slavery in Egypt, tried to annihilate the inhabitants of Canaan with a belief that God promised that land to Abraham. A few thousand years later, one deranged dude tried to erase my people from the face of Europe.

My point is, that a broader view of history will make each of us realize that there is not a single civilization or people group that doesn't have blood in their hands or a colonist legacy. Nowadays, world colonization takes place in the form of entertainment--Hollywood. Native cultures, beliefs, norms, and mores are being questioned and to a degree being erased and are being replaced by Hollywood's values.

Now back to Lalande.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Folks, lets just sit down and think about this. Fannys Dandy aka the Pis Boy, we have been told that he is the video editor, a design consultant not unlike Frank Lloyd Wright and a horticultural genius. What a load of shite, he does not have a single brain cell in his skull. We have witnessed and had a good hoot at his lack of general knowledge, remember 'The Renaissance', his ignorance with regard to wine etc etc. In a nutshell, he serves absolutely no purpose and I think the most galling thing is, he has no idea how much of an empty husk of a human he is.
And he looked like a pompous ass pouring wine in that puked mustard shade dinner jacket the other night, everyone else was in casual attire...

Selmar?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Pardon the derailment:

We all need to have a broader point of view of history, and no, I don't mean colonization is justified or glorified, just a broader view of history.
Fact is, almost every dominant culture/civilization in history attempted to rule over other people groups and claimed lands they had no right to.

My nanny came from the Philippines. She taught college-level history in the Philippines before she moved to the US. When the Spaniards arrived in the Philippines, they did not try to kill all the natives (they did kill a lot though), but they did subjugate them--and created a caste system that was based on birthplace, ancestry, and skin tone. The caste system has become so entrenched in the country that to this day, any person with a lighter skin tone is deemed more beautiful, intelligent, and superior. Prior to the arrival of the Spaniards in the Philippines, native tribes fought against each other for territorial expansion to the point of almost extinction. Historians agree and evidences prove that such is the case among the tribes of the Americas, Africa, Asia, and even Europe. It is with wry shame I admit that even my people, after leaving a life of subjugation and slavery in Egypt, tried to annihilate the inhabitants of Canaan with a belief that God promised that land to Abraham. A few thousand years later, one deranged dude tried to erase my people from the face of Europe.

My point is, that a broader view of history will make each of us realize that there is not a single civilization or people group that doesn't have blood in their hands or a colonist legacy. Nowadays, world colonization takes place in the form of entertainment--Hollywood. Native cultures, beliefs, norms, and mores are being questioned and to a degree being erased and are being replaced by Hollywood's values.

Now back to Lalande.
Excellent analysis. Same for my people the Spaniards about wiped them out. (It's barely even talked about) Most of the males were killed that included male children. The women even young girls given to wealthy land owners the Haitian's from neighboring island treated even worse. The stories my grandmother told me broke my heart. Today I'm a mixture of Spanish, Taino, Jewish because of those who conquered the Taino's when Ponce De Leon arrived with his men. We all have a history let's not forget it but I don't pretend that this hasn't happened to most civilizations. Hollywood values are trash like most entertainment showcased today.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Well, this is not exact. The colonization of North America was in many ways different from the Roman conquests. The former began with a colonization of the land and went on like that for some time. When the immigrants and colonists didn't find any resistence from the local inhabitants, at first they didn't fight too much, but when they found that the native population could become an obstacle to the political and economic expansion, what they did was to exterminate them. The main reason for this was a different attitude the Europeans had developed towards the newly discovered lands, like the Americas, Australia, NZ etc. but also towards India and Africa. The new attitude, which started with the great discoveries from the XVI cent. onwards was colonialism, which is the conviction that the people of the lands you are invading are culturally and humanly inferior, so you are justified in stealing their land, their riches, their lives.
In the ancient world the modern idea of colonization, with all its consequences, was absent. The Romans were conquerors, it's true and their conquest began in the Italian peninsula, until they got it all, Etruscans and Magna Graecia in the South included, then expanded to the North of Europe, to the East and to the South, North Africa and Egypt, but they were too clever to cancel those cultures, or languages. They just imposed Latin as the official language and their law system, but they let those people free to profess their religion, to keep many of their customs and traditions, to speak their language along with Latin. In fact they incorporated many cultural, linguistic, social and religious aspects of those cultures. A good part of the Roman law system and architecture came from the Etruscans, just as their religion, much of their higher culture came from Greece, later the Roman religion mingled with Eastern and Celtic cults etc. Many of their later emperors were Africans, Germans or from the Balkans. They knew that respecting those conquered cultures to a certain degree was a winning formula for mantaining their power.
All the European Medieval history (as well as the European languages) is the consequence of this mingling of Latin, Greek, Celtic and German cultures.
Which is not what sadly has happened in North America, where those ancient and great cultures were not only physically destroyed and despised, often by people who were very ignorant and uneducated but still today are not respected and honoured as they should be. Same as in Australia and NZ.
I believe it’s referred to as Manifest Destiny in US history. A rather abhorrent justification for theft and murder.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Well, this is not exact. The colonization of North America was in many ways different from the Roman conquests. The former began with a colonization of the land and went on like that for some time. When the immigrants and colonists didn't find any resistence from the local inhabitants, at first they didn't fight too much, but when they found that the native population could become an obstacle to the political and economic expansion, what they did was to exterminate them. The main reason for this was a different attitude the Europeans had developed towards the newly discovered lands, like the Americas, Australia, NZ etc. but also towards India and Africa. The new attitude, which started with the great discoveries from the XVI cent. onwards was colonialism, which is the conviction that the people of the lands you are invading are culturally and humanly inferior, so you are justified in stealing their land, their riches, their lives.
In the ancient world the modern idea of colonization, with all its consequences, was absent. The Romans were conquerors, it's true and their conquest began in the Italian peninsula, until they got it all, Etruscans and Magna Graecia in the South included, then expanded to the North of Europe, to the East and to the South, North Africa and Egypt, but they were too clever to cancel those cultures, or languages. They just imposed Latin as the official language and their law system, but they let those people free to profess their religion, to keep many of their customs and traditions, to speak their language along with Latin. In fact they incorporated many cultural, linguistic, social and religious aspects of those cultures. A good part of the Roman law system and architecture came from the Etruscans, just as their religion, much of their higher culture came from Greece, later the Roman religion mingled with Eastern and Celtic cults etc. Many of their later emperors were Africans, Germans or from the Balkans. They knew that respecting those conquered cultures to a certain degree was a winning formula for mantaining their power.
All the European Medieval history (as well as the European languages) is the consequence of this mingling of Latin, Greek, Celtic and German cultures.
Which is not what sadly has happened in North America, where those ancient and great cultures were not only physically destroyed and despised, often by people who were very ignorant and uneducated but still today are not respected and honoured as they should be. Same as in Australia and NZ.
NZ is a little different, when it was colonised by England it was to keep the French from doing so!
There was a Treaty signed between the Crown (Victoria at the time) and Maori (which was ignored whenever it was inconvenient). In the last 40-50 years there has been more recognition of the Treaty and land returned, Crown apologies, settlements etc. NZ now places an importance on it's bi-culturalism. Te Reo is taught and used widely and even people like me know the basics. I work at a school and we have some classes where only Te Reo is spoken. All students do Kapa Haka, and learn their own personal Pepeha. Of course it's not enough or perfect but it is a matter of trying to do what you can, so everyone can understand and appreciate each others cultures.

NB this is a very quick once over comment on my Country, and not meant to offend anyone from here or anywhere else in the world!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Pardon the derailment:

Now back to Lalande.
I'm actually really enjoying everyone's views on this... Thought provoking :)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
This suddenly made me wonder how long would it be before the Patreons had donated enough money to buy La Lande? I think it was value at £750,000 recently so will leave it to you brain boxes to compute the rest. 2 years at a guess roughly?
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Such a point! Such a very important point! We need to take full advantage of this very telling observation! We need to use this over and over and over!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Dearest Dan: I thought you might be in the midst of the 1st strike posting ban of 7 days but are you actually on a 2nd strike band of 14? Inquiring minds want to know. It’s been 9 days.

I don’t really miss your content just hope you have learned a little lesson.

Also - I hope your children are enjoying the holiday with Dad as I am sure you took them. Well done. 🙄

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Not quite true if one knows what to look for when buying. My home is filled with charity shop finds and it's not patched or cobbled together mixy match wise, but very carefully curated. We look for pieces that can be restored or refurbished and repurposed. We go for pieces that have a history. My other half has the eye for antiques, loves French polishing, restoration and likes hunting out unique pieces at charity stores, antique stores, brocantes and auctions. Fanny's problem is that the pieces she buys are just plonked down anywhere with no thought to revamping or repair. Can you imagine her actually going out to buy fabrics to reupholster a chair? Can you imagine Fanny doing a course in upholstery to learn upholstering or even sending a piece to a restorer? I can't. If it can't be achieved with grabeaux fabrics, a stapler and a sewing machine, she's not interested.
The finest things I own were acquired at estate sales or auctions or found in a thrift store. I once found a George Jones majolica piece for a dollar at a thrift store. It’s worth $2600. It’s a toothpick holder. I’ve found countless sets of Waterford crystal for a dollar per stem. I’ve even found a rare Matisse print in a thrift store. Some things I keep and some I sell and I have made thousands doing it. Actually I’ve probably made hundreds of thousands at this point. I’ve been doing it since my twenties. As a hobby at first and as a business now. There are treasures to be found everywhere. Even sometimes by the side of the road on trash day.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Congrats T Rex on becoming a VIP!🎉🥳

PS do we have very long straws in the lounge? (short arms and all that) wouldn't want to upset T Rex

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Dearest Dan: I thought you might be in the midst of the 1st strike posting ban of 7 days but are you actually on a 2nd strike band of 14? Inquiring minds want to know. It’s been 9 days.

I don’t really miss your content just hope you have learned a little lesson.

Also - I hope your children are enjoying the holiday with Dad as I am sure you took them. Well done. 🙄
How long are you incapacitated when you have new teeth inserted?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
NZ is a little different, when it was colonised by England it was to keep the French from doing so!
There was a Treaty signed between the Crown (Victoria at the time) and Maori (which was ignored whenever it was inconvenient). In the last 40-50 years there has been more recognition of the Treaty and land returned, Crown apologies, settlements etc. NZ now places an importance on it's bi-culturalism. Te Reo is taught and used widely and even people like me know the basics. I work at a school and we have some classes where only Te Reo is spoken. All students do Kapa Haka, and learn their own personal Pepeha. Of course it's not enough or perfect but it is a matter of trying to do what you can, so everyone can understand and appreciate each others cultures.

NB this is a very quick once over comment on my Country, and not meant to offend anyone from here or anywhere else in the world!
"When it was colonised by England it was to keep the French from doing so"...

Thereby condemning New Zealand to 200 years of English cooking.

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Thank you @Sparrowsfart for this enlightning comment. There is always so much to learn from you all. And it's wonderful to know that this is going on in NZ.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Such a point! Such a very important point! We need to take full advantage of this very telling observation! We need to use this over and over and over!
OMG! I hadn't thought of that! So true. Lalande actually belongs to the Patreons, can you imagine if they only will became aware? :LOL::ROFLMAO:🤪 And just £750.000? Not even a decent townhouse.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.