The Chateau Diaries #137 Fraudie Fannie finagles finances from foolish fading female fanatics!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the chambre d’hôte regulations only allow for five rooms, hence the need to create gites, the real impetus behind all these apartments.
I wonder if this is why they are labelling apartments as belonging to family members/owners so that they are not breaking the rules. On the Chateau DIY programme it said 18 bedrooms?

Reactions: 13
I wonder if this is why they are labelling apartments as belonging to family members/owners so that they are not breaking the rules. On the Chateau DIY programme it said 18 bedrooms?
It wouldn’t surprise me. Not the first time Fanny’s flouted the law for her own personal gain. On international telly no less.

Reactions: 7
Now we know why a childrens space finally has items for children lol!!

I also have crazy paintings framed and on my bedroom walls! So what?? Lol my children made them in pre school so it’s cute as they are adults now!
Me too. E A Seguy's Insectes, beautiful and tiny.

Reactions: 3
Exactly!!! I'm also an amateur painter. I've sold a few things in a local shop years ago. I can totally agree that I also paint what I'm interested in. I'm not a huge fan of abstract type art but, from the moment I laid eyes on daddy's paintings I thought there was some weird shite going on there. Her mention of "daddy" as if she's still a little girl is always disturbing also. She was an adult when he passed so being childlike still when mentioning him seems odd. If he truly painted most of that art for the shitoo isn't that strange too. He's surrounded his daughter with a lot of twisted images to remember him by. JMHO

Yes! Instead of that weird blue and white room, make it a gallery of all of daddy's art. Put in a fainting couch and smelling salts just in case the viewer needs reviving!! 😎
I’ve sold some of my art too. ☺ It was the weirdest feeling that someone would pay for something I’d done! I did a large painting of a white pouty chicken in a turquoise frame with “funky” stenciled across the top. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I’ve sold some of my art too. ☺ It was the weirdest feeling that someone would pay for something I’d done! I did a large painting of a white pouty chicken in a turquoise frame with “funky” stenciled across the top. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
@OhIDontKnow..., love your chicken painting! There actually is a Funky Chicken store in Key West. It’s right in the middle of Duval Street. I bought a metal chicken family for my backyard there a few years ago. They have expanded, opening a Funky Flamingo store too.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Anybody vinegar-based is welcome here. Come on down!!!!
I am reminded of what Sen. Sam Ervin (D-NC) used to say of his home state: "A vale of humility between two mountains of conceit."
Here is a really thoughtful take on Mickler, if you haven't seen it, and the story of White Trash Cooking. I'd say he actually helped establish the new new South cooking trend, plus so much else, including folkways of that ancient north Florida Minorcan culture.

I like the Marimekko quality of Derek's paintings, too and would certainly have my Daddy's paintings in my shittoo. Fanny's idea that a shittoo is furnished with generations of tastes is right, and, I think, the received wisdom of interiors historians.
The one fortified farmhouse, like Lalande, I've found in France is properly restored by an architectural historian. Shots of his library at Chateau du Sailhant are very interesting, combining butch (and not femme) Renaissance or earlier furniture with model cars and telescopes, not to my taste but very coherent, well-researched, macho, and cool.
Chateau du Sailhant - a beautiful, thoughtful and delicate preservation and restoration. The model cars are just a touch of whimsy.

Reactions: 5
@OhIDontKnow..., love your chicken painting! There actually is a Funky Chicken store in Key West. It’s right in the middle of Duval Street. I bought a metal chicken family for my backyard there a few years ago. They have expanded, opening a Funky Flamingo store too.
Oh thank you! That’s funny! This came about because I couldn’t decide what to paint, and my hubs said paint a chicken. I can’t just strait paint a chicken. One ends up with something like this… I’ll check out the store sounds so cute!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi there Simple Life and thanks for your comments. I agree that fanny uses her "daddys" art to appear cultured, but his work is not very significant in the bigger picture of the art world, especially in France, and I think people nod in agreement just to placate her and then secretly puzzle over her infatuation assuming it's a personal bias. I agree with your assessment that his work lacks emotion, and after the initial draw to color, line, and shape, the viewer is left feeling bored and underwhelmed with the superficial design elements. Not a lot of there, there. The work has no depth, no subtlety, or compelling emotion, other than whimsy. Regarding the relationship with "daddy", fanny seems enamored with her father in the way that a fangirl is infatuated with a rock star. The relationships with the men in her life, likewise, seem based on superficial trappings. So "daddy" and his painting are large, colorful, and whimsical, but lack depth, emotion, or a deep connection to the subject matter. Picasso, like DJ (and this is where the comparison stops) stylized his subjects into nonpersonal objects with no individuality or intrinsic value except to be manipulated into whatever he wanted them to be on the canvas. As a result, they all pretty much look the same. DJ's portrayal of people is similar in this regard. I find it hard to believe that he was a psychiatric nurse. I couldn't get fanny to engage in any meaningful conversation about her parent's work with people in treatment and she never refers to it in any meaningful way in her vlogs. Aside from Amaury, the whole family seems pretty detached and self-absorbed. That's about all I have to say on the subject. Thanks for going there with me on this though.
Good one, yes, Jarvis' iconography/flattening/patterning is commodification to the nth degree. Picasso was a tit for the same reason, but jeez, could that boy draw.

Chateau du Sailhant - a beautiful, thoughtful and delicate preservation and restoration. The model cars are just a touch of whimsy.
Really? I think they're part of the machismo theme throughout the place, eminently suited to a fortress -- did you check out his bedroom?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
But of course, as I stated before, there is nothing wrong with amateur painters, as long as they are not taken as "great artists". An amateur painter can of course become a professional, and we have many examples, if there is talent, dedication, study, research etc. and develop a very personal style. This is not the case with DJ. Naïve or naif art is something different, it springs from popular or folk art and, in some cases, can become great art, like it is the case with the self-taught Douanier Rousseau.

View attachment 1200512

or the great Italian Antonio Ligabue, a very poor, mentally ill person who became one of the most significant Italian painters. He too was self-taught
View attachment 1200510
Let's just be perfectly honest here. DJ was not any kind of truly talented painter. It was just his passion and hobby, AND, fair play to him. It is his daughter who is idolising him after his death in being anything other than that. End of story!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
way
So true, you never see them together anymore, I can only assume Nutti has told him not to help Dan's flogs... if he's not paying up...
I somewhat agree with what you have suggested regarding Nutti putting a stop to it - killjoy Nutti. IHO, Dan and Amary's interactions were much more entertaining and fun less than a year ago. IMHO, today, both of them look like a shadow of their previous youthful, former selves, i.e. 6/9 months ago. I wonder why????

Reactions: 9
I recently watched Percy and Scotman's Patreon interviews, never seen them previously. Thank you Tattle Life.
Both very telling because although SJ was supposed to be interviewing them, she talked about herself for at least 50% of the time. Defo a N-tell! And from my personal experience, Ns are very insecure deep down so they absolutely adore talking about themselves in order to gauge the response from others, especially being able to identify empaths who they can manipulate/use.
For the record I have thought for a very long time, that SJ is defo seeking some kind of a TV presenter role and that's why she continues with CDIY for the exposure, especially as there is no income involved - just why would you otherwise?
BUT talking about yourself as a professional TV presenter/interviewer, is 100% a "no-no", anybody with knowledge within the media world would know that.
Anyways, Scotsman said that as a late teenager SJ was exceptionally shy and would shut down in company - really - whatever! He was 100% her emotional crutch throughout her formative years, which seems extremely odd given his own upbringing/background but basically because her parents were both far too busy to be concerned for her welfare other than that she had to excel no matter what, perhaps? So he took up the slack and was her brotherly carer/protector, her parents sighing with relief.
Whereas, these days, she seems to have morphed into someone completely different "fake it, till you make it", springs to my mind. Even more so since IJ became involved with Percy and YT saved her chateau!
When I first came across SJ via CDIY, I viewed her as a rather humble, hard working and defo henpecked by the acid tongued IJ. I actually felt rather sorry for her without really knowing the back story at that stage. Well, not today.
During Percy's interview, she spoke at length about how her mother is not an easy woman to have around basically because she is just so demanding/controlling/critical (I agree), especially of SJ, which must go as far back to SJ's birth as it is widely known here that IJ was never really interested in having children. Much like her daughter today - funny that!
I also feel that IJ/Percy are her go to people in connection with advice regarding future investment area with regard to the Shitoo - both have run very successful businesses in the past. I bet she is on the pink phone constantly to them.
As in, they have advised her not to concentrate too much internally on any real restoration of the Shitoo, just patch it up. Get the newly created self contained apartments up and running asap because they will be the future long term earners and much less work involved as opposed to the B&B, simply because they are self contained, basically, gites.
And, I also feel, that as much as SJ is currently promising certain Shitoo individuals their own apartments, if and when, it becomes as plain as the nose on her face that renting those out makes more financial sense to her, then that is exactly what will 100% happen, regardless of what she had previously promised them.
The facade/gardens/chapel is also now worth concentrating on because the finished photos of such will be what will attract/guarantee future occupancy and then SJ can then just sit back as she ages and be the Chateline of LaLaLand whenever it suits her to throw the occasional "costume" party but also travel whenever to her heart's content. Simples!
This is a wonderful explanation on many levels. Thank you!

With respect, not the same thing at all.
Prince Charles doesn't expect the whole world to refer to his mother as mummy. And he never publicly refers to her in that way either. Whatever he calls her in private is exactly that.
Fanny's infantile use of mummy and daddy and getting others to use those terms for her parents has irritated me from day one. I refuse to use those terms, ever, Isabelle is NOT my mummy and it's not cute or endearing in my book at all.
Just another tool in her bottomless toolbox of how to play the poor little girl, endlessly, and on repeat.
He does call the Queen "Mummy" in publlic, to great effect.

That said, I call my late father "my father" to everybody outside the family. And refer to him as "Daddy", which is what I called him, to family members. "Dad" is what Yankees call their fathers.

• Heart
they were both nurses. At least when they started out. Male nurses still aren’t that common and it stuck out at me when it was first mentioned
I worked for the NHS in Mental Health. Male Nurses are very common in this field.
Can I tell you about young nurse I worked with. After her training and a couple of years qualified, she opened a care home of her own. She started with a couple of patients/ Clients/ service users and built up from there. She is now 43 and retired to South Africa. Also owns a massive Villa in Spain. She is a millionaire. So much money to be made in Mental Health and so Mummy and Daddy definitely made a pile.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Re: Daddy's paintings, I like the graphic two dimensional quality of many of them. I don't think every work of art has to have levels of meaning, I'm often drawn to the eye candy the color and pattern provide vs. layered storytelling, contextual clues and ponderous interpretation. Love that big art/heavy meaning/decoding the attributes of the flowers and colors/saints/gods/elements when I go to a museum, but for my walls? No thanks... I think they are bright and cheerful which is what I gravitate to when decorating my house. They have zero to do with her chateau decor, but if my daddy painted them and passed early, I'd want them around whether or not they matched. Though pulling back, there are SO many things wrong with that household that the oddly juxtaposed modern paintings are the least of them. If the cold and damp are as bad as reported, I would store them offsite to protect them from the vagaries of temperature and humidity. Whether oil or acrylic, they would be happier in a climate controlled environment. Or maybe they just need a nice water bottle... fill the kettle at once, Phillip!
I'm with you on Daddy's art. I like the medieval ones, and the ones that are blocks of colour, and some of the others. I particularly like the black and white one with the pink on it that Tomaz moved back into her room. I'd hang that one in my home!

Reactions: 4
Let's just be perfectly honest here. DJ was not any kind of truly talented painter. It was just his passion and hobby, AND, fair play to him. It is his daughter who is idolising him after his death in being anything other than that. End of story!
Exactly! And also, may I add, because she thinks that selling her Daddy's "art" as great art, adds to her, who this way is the daughter, keeper and heir of a great artist. Just another trick to impress the plebs.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.