The Chateau Diaries #12 Carry on grifting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought I would add my tuppence to the MP situation.

ETTC is produced by a production company whose only aim is to make a profitable series with spin offs to raise cash. Angel and Dick are the main characters in this series and they provide their château and allow the cameras to film different problems around their property. There is not enough viewable content so others are brought in. The beauty of this for the production company is they can get all this extra footage for free. In return many of the château owners have benefited by producing YouTube channels.

I don't know what happened over the wallpaper designs but I do know from bitter experience that there are some real sharks out there. I was approached by a production company which was behind producing a series with a household name. I was flattered and excited as I thought this might be the break and exposure I needed. The production company spent hours on the phone, video calls, coming to my home, filming etc. Each time I had to produce items for them to see - all out of my own pocket. Very quickly I was told they were thrilled with me and my items, they wanted to film part of the series in my home, using my props and producing my items with the household name "star". I was really excited.

A friend whispered a caution in my ear to be careful and asked if I had signed any contract - this made me stop and think - when they next contacted me asking me to make and take many of my items to a location for an end of series party again no mention of my expenses. I asked about the contract, it was brushed away saying that I could sign it at the party. This raised alarm bells and I insisted that we were to go any further I needed to see it.

Long story short - the contract was brutal - only my first name would be referred to, I had to sign over all copyright to my items, any photos, film etc of the interior of my home and props became their intellectual property and if anyone sued them for copyright over any of my items I would have to take legal responsibility.

I think there is a lot more to this MP design issue and I believe it's not just down to A and D - the production company I believe has a big hand in all of this as I don't think that the spin off wallpaper etc. profits are just going into A and D's pockets.

I think MP needs to think that perhaps with ETTC he would not have met the other château owners and perhaps would not have the exposure he has had. Its a shame he can't move on and build on the opportunity he's been given.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 23
Her lovely husband is also a professional film maker , hence the high quality vlog right from the get go .:)
I was so disappointed to see SJ had visited and that they have also started a Patreon account. :confused:
The chateau is lovely and the vlogs fun and not too long . They definately have a handle on doing the renovation in the correct order .... heating as a priority!
I think they have the makings of being the most successful of them all . :unsure:
I wonder if SJ is already planning to try align herself with a very much classier set up in preparation for ditching the Trotters? Chateau La Fleur is clearly way out of her league. SJ needs them far more than they will ever need her.

I think MP needs to think that perhaps with ETTC he would not have met the other château owners and perhaps would not have the exposure he has had. Its a shame he can't move on and build on the opportunity he's been given.
I agree wholeheartedly with your post.
In particular, without exposure on ETTC, no-one would know who he was. He would be just another drifter, running from one new fad to another. I can't really see him ever changing now. I don't believe he is capable of following any of this through, as well meaning as all the advice that has been forthcoming is. His dad should have taken him aside a long time ago and set him straight - if you want something, you go out and earn it. Life is not usually handed to you on a platter. Exactly the same applies to SJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
I wonder if SJ is already planning to try align herself with a very much classier set up in preparation for ditching the Trotters? Chateau La Fleur is clearly way out of her league. SJ needs them far more than they will ever need her.

In particular, without exposure on ETTC, no-one would know who he was. He would be just another drifter, running from one new fad to another. I can't really see him ever changing now. I don't believe he is capable of following any of this through, as well meaning as all the advice that has been forthcoming is. His dad should have taken him aside a long time ago and set him straight - if you want something, you go out and earn it. Life is not usually handed to you on a platter. Exactly the same applies to SJ.
It‘s a massive shame as he is clearly very talented and can pick up skills and be instantly good at them!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Yea
To be fair to his wrong doers,he said they paid him for his artwork.Maybe a misunderstanding of the difference between,the Design idea and the Artwork.
I agree he should just bring his own range out.
Also people can't ask any questions on any of the many platforms which is wrong and creates an incorrect atmosphere of you can pay but no say.
Finally,MP,should have just said on his Christmas vlog he was have a couple of weeks off!
Would have saved himself alot of grief.
Yes, he could easily sit down make some q&a and fans would be happy. No work at all. Doesn't even have to leave the house.
What I don't understand why he is putting so much work in his brothers chanel. Do they earn more when having 3 channels with each 20000 subscribers? Instead of only his channel with over 200000 subscribers and weekly videos? He sits on a goldmine and does not even realise it. He will loose everything in the end.

It‘s a massive shame as he is clearly very talented and can pick up skills and be instantly good at them!
Unfortunately not constantly

• Sad
Reactions: 7
[
@Pegasus , I have a friend who appears on the tellybox , there certainly is a lot of smoke and mirrors. Editing is everything.
My friend does it because it creates massive publicity and lots of new work.

I guess it’s a contract with the devil in some respects , or a golden opportunity not to be squandered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I'm not sure - he seems to have a natural aptitute for painting / drawing. The other things will have been taught. I'm not sure that we can conclude that he instantly became good at them as we don't know the timeline for these jobs. He's 35 so he has possibly been hairdressing for almost 20 yrs for example. The problem is, people are telling him how talented he is at everything and he's starting to believe it. This is probably half of the problem. There are very many people who are creative in lots of different ways as well as developing newer skills outside of their comfort zone. It doesn't make him exceptional.

Reactions: 10
Don't be fooled: it's a show. It might have started as reality tv, now It has actors and characters. Marie's role might have changed a bit, but if it has it's because SJ asked that of her, so Marie can be the grumpy one that makes SJ's cheerful character shine more.
I believe she wants to make a good last impression to be able to come back again. In case she fails in London...

Reactions: 3
Competition Time
Name That Person
LaLa4
Answers on a postcard please....

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Very true. She even refers to these properties as 'hers' already, never mind dear mummy is still alive. The perks of being the only child, I guess? I suspect Gerry will suddenly not be a brother anymore by the time it's actually into her hands.
That makes it even worse then - playing ‘poor me’ and raking it in on the basis that she can’t even afford to eat. I have much more respect for her if she fessed up and said ‘I’m so lucky but this is a project I’d like to do but not at the cost of everything I have. Knowing this if you’d like to help me achieve me goals, welcome on board’. .... there’d still be fans helping her (though perhaps not so many).

if push came to shove, she’d sell her granny if money was involved, so Gerry had better not put a foot wrong. And let’s see what sort of home she puts Isabelle in . Maybe one like Cranford Hall 😉

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
He can hae
I'm not sure - he seems to have a natural aptitute for painting / drawing. The other things will have been taught. I'm not sure that we can conclude that he instantly became good at them as we don't know the timeline for these jobs. He's 35 so he has possibly been hairdressing for almost 20 yrs for example. The problem is, people are telling him how talented he is at everything and he's starting to believe it. This is probably half of the problem. There are very many people who are creative in lots of different ways as well as developing newer skills outside of their comfort zone. It doesn't make him exceptional.
He might even have a lot of talent but if he doesn't do the job it does not matter. Sit down and paint. Sit down and edit. Sit down and do your research how to sell your art. Go finish your bathroom in the cottage. Soon it's spring and time for your yearly bath.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I have friends who license their art. We go shopping and try and find their works. It's appeared as fabric, prints, napkins, plates, etc. Some has even been stolen by large retailers. Bottom line, their work is all over, they make a good living and they have had issues.

Now throw out the MP brand into a licensing deal and he has minimal investment of funds. That is if he hasn't damaged his brand by his latest video. I was wronged, I was bullied ( I couldn't get past a few minutes so fill in the blanks). If I had his talent and exposure it would be a cash source. Launch it on the cottage bedroom series. Do it.....

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Do we know if Michael has definitely broken a non-disclosure agreement? Any lawyers still about?
I've just taken a peek at some Strawbridge YT vids and the comments are brutal. It may be telling that they are not being deleted, but given the sheer number of ETTC vids and segments uploaded by Joe Public I can't see how they can possibly keep on top of the tide.
@ggyahoo each post/comment that has landed on their platform is documentary proof that the video aired on a public platform by MPK implied they were the wrong doers D&A , they will look at their over all audience & decide whether MPK is but a drop in the ocean & totally ignore him he is not worth the time of day nor the waste of time & money on a legal battle with "straw men", or, their brand is in bed with a lot of the main retailers in UK via Bellfield, that is who they will be speaking to this morning....because if there is breach of copyright they would be a main contender as it is them who produces all the soft furnishing range, I would guess they have used their own designers to create any other work since the 1st set & D&A endorse them, the you have C4 who have agreed to buy into the program..& any other global networks, they will apply the same thought pattern to them. But what we can be sure of they will be talking to some people today who will be top of the field in their game. In fact the forum here is futile we are a minority, chatting to each other converting the converted. His dirty vlog now has over 120k views plus previous ones which had 60/70 are now double his patreons are going up, unless we get the message to that audience alas we are flogging a dead horse. They have demonstrated in the dirty vlog the depths they will stoop to get a few quid & avoid work I hope D&A destroy them.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I believe to D&A it is just some kind of "there is no bad publicity" thing but they will sue him just to demonstrate they can....

At least people would get something in return if they buy his art.

Couldn't

Couldn't describe it better 👍
Agree that he will be sued to teach him/ others a lesson and also that D&A will take it on the chin. A bit like LOTL getting any criticism here, what does she care when there are tens of thousands of fans (and more to come ) lapping up whatever she says and does. D&A will also keep it flooding in and then some.

my thought is by D&A leaving comments for a few days it looked as though they weren’t ‘panicking’ and removing it as quickly as they might if they felt ‘guilty’ .

• Heart
He can hae

He might even have a lot of talent but if he doesn't do the job it does not matter. Sit down and paint. Sit down and edit. Sit down and do your research how to sell your art. Go finish your bathroom in the cottage. Soon it's spring and time for your yearly bath.
@66carola he's a bit like the man who has the reputation for rising in the morning......he can lie to dinner time!!!

Reactions: 3
Frenchessence Post 3663804 I've been thinking (or as Dear Brenda would say - I've been a tinkin' and a tinkin') - with over 40 years of dealing with Family Trusts, property trusts, debt structure and tax shelters, I reckon Mummy and Daddy bank rolled her original purchase of the share of lalaland with a proviso that accommodation for them would be provided/apartment created "in the future" when needed, but then Daddy died. She probably had Daddy wound around her little finger and her future plans were to pay up to Daddy and have Daddy look the other way when money was discussed. But when he died Mummy solely controlled the family fortune and of course Mummy can't be manipulated like Daddy. There is a definite frisson of tension between them and SJ's ott exhibitions of concern for Mummy every time a raindrop falls on her head, do not ring true. But she has to keep Mummy happy or Mummy may start looking at the Trust structure. So I reckon Mummy has a tight rein on the purse strings and the rule is "you got $$X for the purchase on the basis you had to make a go of it and the chateau has to self fund all expenses, renovations etc in the future" From the sound of it Grandmere was very elderly when she died - Isabelle is 80 and even if her mother was 16 - 18 when she married and had Isabelle (they married very young in those days) it sounds like she was in her mid to late 90's when she dies - so Isabelle has good genes, is mentally astute and is extremely fit when she's running around the garden, climbing into old bread ovens etc. SJ could be waiting a long, long time before fiscal security kicks in and even then Mummy could leave the family $$ tied up in trusts for quite a while - In the meantime she's seen how easy it is for the Patron money to keep rolling in and she's hooked on it and drawing others like MPK into her spider's web 'cos if everybody's doing it, it takes the heat off her and she looks squeaky clean and just taking care of renovations and keeping the promises she's made to the Patrons.

** play up not pay up
Thank you for informative reply. That all makes perfect sense. Not a Trust Fund Kid myself (and neither are mine) but have moved in those circles through work. Your suggestion rings true on all levels. Especially the money aspect of her relationship with her father
Definite tension between SJ and Mini Apron . It’s perceptible through the screen. I read somewhere her late granny mid 90’s when passed so as you say SJ could be a long time waiting ‘for dead men’s shoes’ .

@Jeeves you are correct going by their views it is very possible they will over take SJ & I certainly hope they do. Was she not embarressed to share that trip with her viewers, every where tidy, organised, work finished to a high standard...by themselves & friends, & warm..no need for thermals & layers of clothing with 2 young children, it showed me just how little has been achieved @ the shitooo

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Just watched the latest video, judging results, and the subscriber comments are so predictable, outraged/triggered because someone was mean. I knew that Marie’s team would judge harshly. But the subscribers are shocked that they aren’t getting the usual faux happy lala land facecade and performances that they expect.

The subscribers want to escape their dull lives and be cheered up, why Marie would think that being harsh and manipulating the others to do the same would go down well for her image I’d never know. She’s all about followers and money, and who would follow/pay someone they thought was a bleep?! I bet if she gave really kind feedback and scores it would have increased her followers/donations.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Her lovely husband is also a professional film maker , hence the high quality vlog right from the get go .:)
I was so disappointed to see SJ had visited and that they have also started a Patreon account. :confused:
The chateau is lovely and the vlogs fun and not too long . They definately have a handle on doing the renovation in the correct order .... heating as a priority!
I think they have the makings of being the most successful of them all . :unsure:
Oh Fuzzypeg I agree with you. I felt a real disappointment when I saw SJ inhabiting their chateau . And even they have started up Patreon. So tediously money grabbing to jump on the bandwagon. Especially so early on. If they hadn’t teamed up with LOTL I may have followed then. I definitely won’t be doing that now.

ETTC is produced by a production company whose only aim is to make a profitable series with spin offs to raise cash. Angel and Dick are the main characters in this series and they provide their château and allow the cameras to film different problems around their property. There is not enough viewable content so others are brought in. The beauty of this for the production company is they can get all this extra footage for free. In return many of the château owners have benefited by producing YouTube channels.

I don't know what happened over the wallpaper designs but I do know from bitter experience that there are some real sharks out there. I was approached by a production company which was behind producing a series with a household name. I was flattered and excited as I thought this might be the break and exposure I needed. The production company spent hours on the phone, video calls, coming to my home, filming etc. Each time I had to produce items for them to see - all out of my own pocket. Very quickly I was told they were thrilled with me and my items, they wanted to film part of the series in my home, using my props and producing my items with the household name "star". I was really excited.

A friend whispered a caution in my ear to be careful and asked if I had signed any contract - this made me stop and think - when they next contacted me asking me to make and take many of my items to a location for an end of series party again no mention of my expenses. I asked about the contract, it was brushed away saying that I could sign it at the party. This raised alarm bells and I insisted that we were to go any further I needed to see it.

Long story short - the contract was brutal - only my first name would be referred to, I had to sign over all copyright to my items, any photos, film etc of the interior of my home and props became their intellectual property and if anyone sued them for copyright over any of my items I would have to take legal responsibility.

I think there is a lot more to this MP design issue and I believe it's not just down to A and D - the production company I believe has a big hand in all of this as I don't think that the spin off wallpaper etc. profits are just going into A and D's pockets.

Very interesting. Nothing is clear cut. Agree with what you say about MP manning-up. He may have ruined a brilliant opportunity that was handed to him on a (Spode) plate

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.