The Chateau Diaries #11 Shat o shenanigans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok been meaning to do this for a while... every time I hear of scrawney SJ being referred to as an opera singer
Best part go to 2:10 and listen to 3:30 if you can't listen to the lot

NorrisCS Thanks for that - she's fabulous isn't she? My favourite Opera. Things have been getting a bit torrid on the forum lately so I offer a bit of light humour. I was on a committee where I was the only "token" female. Most of the others were quite polite although condescending at times, but one was extremely misogynistic and put me down at every opportunity. Then the gods smiled. I live in a city of several million population so hitting the front page of our daily paper with a story about a "domestic" issue was quite big. There he was in all his glory with excruciatingly embarrassing detail, about him and his de facto where obviously the relationship had broken down most acrimoniously (surprise, surprise). They had been together longer than the 5 years our laws here set for domestic cohabitation in relation to property etc on dissolation of the relationship. He obviously had tried to shaft her. She didn't want to be cast aside without a fair share. Every day, front page (at the very least pages 3/4) gory details, the hidden bank A/c's, the other women, the properties he'd bought under aliases to hide assets, the tax evasion. It went on and on, with photos. By this stage it's on the night time news so I used to rush home so I could sit in front of the TV to each my dinner and enjoy.
What's this got to do with anything you say? Madame Butterfly. The rat who "married" her then left her, came back with his Western wife and took her child leaving her broken and suicidal was called "Pinkerton" Guess what my little friends name was? I waited patiently - the next meeting 2 or 3 members of the committee (men) sidled up to him murmuring their sympathy as to his predicament. I said nothing, waiting like a black widow spider to pounce. He was subdued but not yet any wiser when I spoke about an issue and he did his usual put down - I'm only 4' 11" (147.5cm) but I bore down on him with my beady eye and said loudly "What did you say Mr. PIN --KER -- TON?, stretched out and accentuated as Madame Butterfly pronounces it. He cringed. Every one sniggered and snuffled. Never again did I address him as anything other than Mr. PIN--KER--TON even when I saw him away from meetings (and that was often and usually he was with business associates). I kept it up for months. I crossed the street to address him. I used his name 3 - 4 times in every sentence where I had to speak to him in meetings. (My initials are not FB for nothing) It took a while but he finally announced he had "other commitments" and resigned. I quite missed him after that. PS. She got her half of everything (including his hidden assets - or all they found) and all the gory details were published. I can only think that she had a friend at the newspaper or that he had at some time (and it wouldn't be hard) offended some lady himself. FrannyBee (of the Sting like a Butterfly Float like a Bee family)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I know there'll be more accusations of me being a superfan or flying monkey or whatever so I'll get my tin hat ready!

I don't think there's anything to expose to the newspapers or patreons - it's a total non story. The patreons/subscribers already know that Stephanie takes a shitload of holidays (although I don't think she pays for many of them herself) and that she has an enviable, privileged lifestyle and owns a flat in London but they don't mind.

They are getting what they want in exchange for entertaining content. If SJ travels to nice places it generates better content. To them it's no different to having a netflix subscription. The patreon contribution means progress can be made on the chateau (albeit slow progress) and that Dan can work on the garden (faster progress in this case) which again generates good content. Since patreon took off she's been able to focus on making more videos and she does extra ones for the patreons and the growing number of loyal patreons demonstrates they are happy with the deal. She has thousands of patreons and yet there are a maybe 30 or so of us contributing on here so people are voting with their feet. We know that a lot of the patreons and fans have been on here and read our posts and although a few of them have chosen to defect the vast majority have clearly chosen to stay as patreons and youtube subscribers.

The Chateau Diaries has got them through a very tough year and brought them distraction and entertainment and if they have to watch a few ads or pay a few dollars a month for that then that is absolutely their prerogative.
Oh @Raspberrybrulee ! All this is true ! Can’t deny any of that. Even if some stopped their DD’s it would barely make a dent in her vast income now. The only thing I disagree with is that The Dsily Mail wouldn’t be interested in running an ‘investigative’ feature on her. That paper is filled with stories of people who ‘suddenly’ made it rich. It thrives on such journalism. Although I must admit the way that LOTL can spin it she’d probably end up with even more followers and further donations !

SSB has got the Midas touch and I’ve said before, this is probably only the start of her real wealth. There will be plenty more money from other commercial enterprises on the back of the vlogs/ECDIY.

NorrisCS Thanks for that - she's fabulous isn't she? My favourite Opera. Things have been getting a bit torrid on the forum lately so I offer a bit of light humour. I was on a committee where I was the only "token" female. Most of the others were quite polite although condescending at times, but one was extremely misogynistic and put me down at every opportunity. Then the gods smiled. I live in a city of several million population so hitting the front page of our daily paper with a story about a "domestic" issue was quite big. There he was in all his glory with excruciatingly embarrassing detail, about him and his de facto where obviously the relationship had broken down most acrimoniously (surprise, surprise). They had been together longer than the 5 years our laws here set for domestic cohabitation in relation to property etc on dissolation of the relationship. He obviously had tried to shaft her. She didn't want to be cast aside without a fair share. Every day, front page (at the very least pages 3/4) gory details, the hidden bank A/c's, the other women, the properties he'd bought under aliases to hide assets, the tax evasion. It went on and on, with photos. By this stage it's on the night time news so I used to rush home so I could sit in front of the TV to each my dinner and enjoy.
What's this got to do with anything you say? Madame Butterfly. The rat who "married" her then left her, came back with his Western wife and took her child leaving her broken and suicidal was called "Pinkerton" Guess what my little friends name was? I waited patiently - the next meeting 2 or 3 members of the committee (men) sidled up to him murmuring their sympathy as to his predicament. I said nothing, waiting like a black widow spider to pounce. He was subdued but not yet any wiser when I spoke about an issue and he did his usual put down - I'm only 4' 11" (147.5cm) but I bore down on him with my beady eye and said loudly "What did you say Mr. PIN --KER -- TON?, stretched out and accentuated as Madame Butterfly pronounces it. He cringed. Every one sniggered and snuffled. Never again did I address him as anything other than Mr. PIN--KER--TON even when I saw him away from meetings (and that was often and usually he was with business associates). I kept it up for months. I crossed the street to address him. I used his name 3 - 4 times in every sentence where I had to speak to him in meetings. (My initials are not FB for nothing) It took a while but he finally announced he had "other commitments" and resigned. I quite missed him after that. PS. She got her half of everything (including his hidden assets - or all they found) and all the gory details were published. I can only think that she had a friend at the newspaper or that he had at some time (and it wouldn't be hard) offended some lady himself. FrannyBee (of the Sting like a Butterfly Float like a Bee family)
What a fantastic story ! Love your drawn out pronunciation of his name. You are clearly a Pocket Dynamite and should not be crossed.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
As Fuzzypeg says, this is not illegal, that is not to say that a closer look at some of the activities surrounding Lalande (and other chateaux) would not be worthwhile
  • Patreons generating huge incomes, Buy me a coffee, GoFundMe, etc. Undeclared income, etc.
  • Use of volunteer labour,
  • Breaking of Covid guidelines / unauthorised "tourism"
I am sure others will have ideas.
Jeeves Post 3560137 This is for all writing about SJ's Patreon issue.. I was Googling and came across one "DIY French Chateauxs Vlogs and Blogs you should know about" by a Solo Sophie. Lalaland, and Petherick and Phil and Ruth are on there amongst others and reading between the lines - Sophie is quite effusive about some of the Chateaux (Michael and a couple of others) not so with our favourite Princess (her bit is very sparse and not too forthcoming with any gush) At the end of the article there is a contact bit for Solo Sophie and I think she is a freelance journalist. I'm 10 hours away in time zones and not IT Techy, but do you reckon a well placed pointer to this Forum might be interesting to Solo Sophie and suggest to her it might make a good story?

• Heart
Well said, Raspberry. SJ is providing entertainment and escapism and every viewer will have their own reasons for tuning in, just as volunteers will for taking part. My hope is that a more interesting cast of characters is able to join her soon. The past year's crop has either been so dull or, if they show a spark of personality, over-exposed. SJ and Oliver work well together, but I doubt their roadshow will ever take off as I think TV of a different sort will take off for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Back to the concerns re heating. I volunteer for the UK National Trust ( oversees and runs heritage buildings) The house i volunteer in was built in 1642 and it is darned cold for most of the year. It has central heating installed but this is controlled not by temperature but by humidity. This is to protect the wood in the house - beams, floorboards, furniture etc. If the humidity is wrong the the wood either expands or contracts. As previous contributor said you can't heat an old property to standards expected in more modern houses. As volunteers we accept this and wear more clothes. The trick is thin layers, sometimes I have 5 layers on.
Are you are not missing the point? There has been no attempt by SJ to do anything to protect or enhance the fabric of the building. The initial heating system put in at the start & then nothing. If you look at the rooms in the chateau they are not overly large are they. I think only one door has been replaced with secondary glazed one. Yes, it is understandable that it is not cost effective to heat rooms when they are not being occupied but over the years there has been little or no effort put into protecting that building which she apparently so loves. If you were really intent on preserving it perhaps you might get a job to fund the restoration, or perhaps rent your London pad out for a proper rental & forgo it being your holiday pad, or stop going on expensive holidays & buying champagne?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I would but I'm in a wheelchair (can't step need to roll) and only sleep 2-3 hours so need some amusement and the time zones are killing me.
Have you looked at the Positano Diaries? I found them via here as I think someone mentioned them. I think they make the Chateau Diaries look gaudy as they show a genuine & gentle, peaceful way of life. I find they act as a balm when I am getting wound up about What Stephanie Did Next posts on here!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Jeeves Post 3560137 This is for all writing about SJ's Patreon issue.. I was Googling and came across one "DIY French Chateauxs Vlogs and Blogs you should know about" by a Solo Sophie. Lalaland, and Petherick and Phil and Ruth are on there amongst others and reading between the lines - Sophie is quite effusive about some of the Chateaux (Michael and a couple of others) not so with our favourite Princess (her bit is very sparse and not too forthcoming with any gush) At the end of the article there is a contact bit for Solo Sophie and I think she is a freelance journalist. I'm 10 hours away in time zones and not IT Techy, but do you reckon a well placed pointer to this Forum might be interesting to Solo Sophie and suggest to her it might make a good story?
I’m not technically either but yes I do . Good discovery there !

I would but I'm in a wheelchair (can't step need to roll) and only sleep 2-3 hours so need some amusement and the time zones are killing me.
Your reply 👏 bless you. Life ain’t easy for some.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Most of the patreons donate 5/10€, which is perfectly fine. Most of her income comes from these donors. Some of her higher tier patreons aren't that gullible, these business owners send freebies to the Shat-O and use the channel for marketing, this I don't like. LOTL should put product placement announcements in her vlog or kick these people out.

I understand she needs patreons, because the renovation work is costly, lake will cost 150k, rendering 150k, new windows and doors 50k, roofs 250k... She bought a large underwhelming ruin to elevate her status as chatelaine, not to restore it. The house is a party house and she wants to use her own money to impress her friends and display an image of success. Now when the donations started pouring in, she realized she can finally put some money aside for renovation, but this work has and never will be prioritized over her lifestyle.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
You are missing the point. There has been no attempt by SJ to do anything to protect or enhance the fabric of the building. The initial heating system put in at the start & then nothing. If you look at the rooms in the chateau they are no overly large. I think only one door has been replaced with secondary glazed one. Yes, it is understandable that it is not cost effective to heat rooms when they are not being occupied but over the years there has been little or no effort put into protecting that building which she apparently so loves. If you were really intent on preserving it perhaps you might get a job to fund the restoration, or perhaps rent your London pad out for a proper rental & forgo it being your holiday pad, or stop going on expensive holidays & buying champagne?
Princess and the Pea post 3562297
I agree and also, I haven't looked up her rates as it would raise my blood pressure, but if I paid out a wodge of $$ to stay there I would not want to (a) pack large amounts of clothing and (b) put on 5 layers of said clothing whilst trying to enjoy a stay in a French Chateau - albeit Shat Oh when I arrive and see it for what it is ( and looking like the Michelin Tyre man whilst thin, fabulous Princess floats in and out eyeing off my man with her silent lure of look at me, look at me,me,me). I can spot her type a mile away but I'm older and wiser and have scar tissue to toughen me up but some young women can be hurt very badly and don't recognise the danger of having a toxic narcissist in their space. These people can destroy lives if their victim is not emotionally strong, but they don't care as long as they get their prize - ever seen a cat playing with it's prey?

I’m not technically either but yes I do . Good discovery there !

Your reply 👏 bless you. Life ain’t easy for some.
Mine's fine, it's the poor buggers who have to wait on me hand and foot who do it tough. I buy lots of boxes of chocs as thank you's so virtual box of chocs attached (sorry don't know how to do emojis.)

• Heart
Well said, Raspberry. SJ is providing entertainment and escapism and every viewer will have their own reasons for tuning in, just as volunteers will for taking part. My hope is that a more interesting cast of characters is able to join her soon. The past year's crop has either been so dull or, if they show a spark of personality, over-exposed. SJ and Oliver work well together, but I doubt their roadshow will ever take off as I think TV of a different sort will take off for her.
It can only be a matter of time before she’s on mainstream tv. Channel 4/BBC channels are full of lightweight historical documentaries and female presenters such as the all too ghastly Lucy Worsely who also likes to dress up (ie as king Henry 8 scoffing medieval grub) and tbh SJ and her quirky cheesy visual is a lot easier on the eye than irritatingly-twee Lucy.

I could also see SSB on a bad interior design programme such as the old Changing Rooms, where the dreadful ‘interior designers’ frequently made the client cry with their awful bad taste make-over. She could be a female Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen (and look how well he has done on the back of a full head of hair and no talent). When I think of some of the hideous rooms Stephanie has done at Lalande, she’d be fantastically well-qualified to do this. Or even one of those ‘Find your new home abroad’ shows that are prime afternoon viewing for retireds. They’ll love her and there seem to be no end of repeats on those shows so imagine the royalties LOTL could take it. Although, she would have to get of bed and do a proper days work .

See, she doesn’t need Patreon at all. She could buy her own presents and make donations to charity out of her own earned income. Like most people chose to do.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Oh @Raspberrybrulee ! All this is true ! Can’t deny any of that. Even if some stopped their DD’s it would barely make a dent in her vast income now. The only thing I disagree with is that The Dsily Mail wouldn’t be interested in running an ‘investigative’ feature on her. That paper is filled with stories of people who ‘suddenly’ made it rich. It thrives on such journalism. Although I must admit the way that LOTL can spin it she’d probably end up with even more followers and further donations !

SSB has got the Midas touch and I’ve said before, this is probably only the start of her real wealth. There will be plenty more money from other commercial enterprises on the back of the vlogs/ECDIY.

What a fantastic story ! Love your drawn out pronunciation of his name. You are clearly a Pocket Dynamite and should not be crossed.
Well you are welcome to do so, but you would live to regret it. Ask Mr PIN - KER - TON.
(You will never listen to Madame Butterfly again without listening out for the way she pronounces PIN - KER - TON will you? - or think of me?)

Have you looked at the Positano Diaries? I found them via here as I think someone mentioned them. I think they make the Chateau Diaries look gaudy as they show a genuine & gentle, peaceful way of life. I find they act as a balm when I am getting wound up about What Stephanie Did Next posts on here!
I did see that recently and have marked it but I'm enjoying this one too much and I know you'll miss me if I go.

Just a musing: I note Princess seems to lean towards the dark swarthy Gallic types, so if anyone (women) is thinking of a dirty weekend at lalaland, get your man to the hairdresser and dye his hair blonde or to be really safe, rainbow - to imply he's gay (not that that would deter her)

Last edited:
  • Haha
It can only be a matter of time before she’s on mainstream tv. Channel 4/BBC channels are full of lightweight historical documentaries and female presenters such as the all too ghastly Lucy Worsely who also likes to dress up (ie as king Henry 8 scoffing medieval grub) and tbh SJ and her quirky cheesy visual is a lot easier on the eye than irritatingly-twee Lucy.

I could also see SSB on a bad interior design programme such as the old Changing Rooms, where the dreadful ‘interior designers’ frequently made the client cry with their awful bad taste make-over. She could be a female Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen (and look how well he has done on the back of a full head of hair and no talent). When I think of some of the hideous rooms Stephanie has done at Lalande, she’d be fantastically well-qualified to do this. Or even one of those ‘Find your new home abroad’ shows that are prime afternoon viewing for retireds. They’ll love her and there seem to be no end of repeats on those shows so imagine the royalties LOTL could take it. Although, she would have to get of bed and do a proper days work .

See, she doesn’t need Patreon at all. She could buy her own presents and make donations to charity out of her own earned income. Like most people chose to do.
Dr lucy Worsley is the chief curator of the royal historic palaces, author ,curator and lastly a tv presenter. SJ has a degree and looks pretty , it’s unsulting to say she would do a better job. On one of her Sunday vlogs they visited a museum . Her comment about Dutch paintings was “ they all seem so dark and brown” she has zero knowledge about history or the arts. .

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Thank you @La Brocanteuse for the new title.

And thank you @MojoDublin for updating the who's who list.

CD - The Chateau Diaries
BJJ - Baby Jesus Jeans, aka Philip
PP (Nostril of Lalande) - Prince Philip
UH - Uriah Heep - Philip
LOTL/LOTLL - Lady of the (Lost) Lake, aka Stephanie
SSB- She Who Shouts from the balcony
SJ - Stephanie Jarvis
Nitti/Nutty - Nati
MP/MP2 - Michael Petherick
MPK - micheal Petherick (sir Trotter)
Trotter - any Petherick family reference
Ma Trotter - Sheree Petherick
Dear Brenda/BG - Brenda Gibbons (superfan/Facebook admin) from Donegal Ireland
Karen Cbomb - other superfan/admin, Canada
Donegals - limericks (renamed in honour of Dear Brenda)
Potty/MP - Michael Potts
Cinder-Ruth- MPotts current squeeze
Agents - Tattlers who find out juicy background info
Chat O (or variations) - Chateau (how Brenda says it)
“BuyMeACoffee” - give me money (no, really, give me money, I really need it)
MBNS;GF - more boring narc stuff; gimme facts

PSDFHB - princess 👸 shouting down from her balcony
PRSDBP - princess 👸 in her robe shouting down from her balcony at the peasants

Wet Blanket - Fun hoover
Mickey Dodger - Woman who avoids sexual encounters
Edmund Fokker van Crayestein - Former main squeeze of SJ
for the Trotter tower lovers the link for all your concerns and news coverage below (please keep them there nicely together with ryan, the sister, Ma Trotter, MP's cottage and his nonexistent upload schedule, any new channel they are going to set up etc. unless it has direct effect on Chat-O Disney)

Reactions: 3
I know there'll be more accusations of me being a superfan or flying monkey or whatever so I'll get my tin hat ready!

I don't think there's anything to expose to the newspapers or patreons - it's a total non story. The patreons/subscribers already know that Stephanie takes a shitload of holidays (although I don't think she pays for many of them herself) and that she has an enviable, privileged lifestyle and owns a flat in London but they don't mind.

They are getting what they want in exchange for entertaining content. If SJ travels to nice places it generates better content. To them it's no different to having a netflix subscription. The patreon contribution means progress can be made on the chateau (albeit slow progress) and that Dan can work on the garden (faster progress in this case) which again generates good content. Since patreon took off she's been able to focus on making more videos and she does extra ones for the patreons and the growing number of loyal patreons demonstrates they are happy with the deal. She has thousands of patreons and yet there are a maybe 30 or so of us contributing on here so people are voting with their feet. We know that a lot of the patreons and fans have been on here and read our posts and although a few of them have chosen to defect the vast majority have clearly chosen to stay as patreons and youtube subscribers.

The Chateau Diaries has got them through a very tough year and brought them distraction and entertainment and if they have to watch a few ads or pay a few dollars a month for that then that is absolutely their prerogative.
I would agree with you on many levels, live and let live foremost, except for the abuse of the people she surrounds herself with, lures them in with promises of true friendship, sucks the life out of them and when they are finally coming to their senses, meaning they realise they don't get that much out of the deal, she just dishes them like garbage. If she had the payed staff she can afford by now, it would be regulated by rules of employership. But this is cheaper for her and complaining leads to nothing but a quicker departure.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Princess and the Pea post 3562297
I agree and also, I haven't looked up her rates as it would raise my blood pressure, but if I paid out a wodge of $$ to stay there I would not want to (a) pack large amounts of clothing and (b) put on 5 layers of said clothing whilst trying to enjoy a stay in a French Chateau - albeit Shat Oh when I arrive and see it for what it is ( and looking like the Michelin Tyre man whilst thin, fabulous Princess floats in and out eyeing off my man with her silent lure of look at me, look at me,me,me). I can spot her type a mile away but I'm older and wiser and have scar tissue to toughen me up but some young women can be hurt very badly and don't recognise the danger of having a toxic narcissist in their space. These people can destroy lives if their victim is not emotionally strong, but they don't care as long as they get their prize - ever seen a cat playing with it's prey?

Mine's fine, it's the poor buggers who have to wait on me hand and foot who do it tough. I buy lots of boxes of chocs as thank you's so virtual box of chocs attached (sorry don't know how to do emojis.)
Me neither, I hate the cold! When I saw the phoney baloney episode aired on 28 Mar 2019 when she gets Dick Strawbridge round (cue massive eyelash batting) to see if he can help with the woodburner heating that Mummy wants to see if it can be used to heat her apartment because oh it will save money..because they're so broke. And then poor Stephanie shows Dick (cue poor helpless woman act) her hotwater bottle strapped to her body. Whilst on that day she is posting pix from her Vietnam holiday with Gerry. How her fans can't see this contrast of poverty sticken Steph who has never had a job but is happy to accept a free holiday apparently from her brother is beyond me. And, as you say the toxic narcissist is moving it onto another level because this is messing with people in real life & not just online.

• Heart
Couldn’t be said better. Has contributed nothing at all to society in any way. Spoilt through and through. Lazy and greedy . Post Covid vaccines we are going to see lots more ‘Wish You Were Here ‘ style travel vlogs and ‘Postcards From the Edge’ trips. Interested to see how that will be reflected on Patreon . There will surely be a limit to how many times even super fans will say “She deserves a break/holiday/rest”.

LOTL must be itching to go away somewhere luxe with Camilla’s husband - all in the name of vlog content of course.

Thank you for showing this. Goosebumps. Extraordinary. Now THAT is what we call an Opera Singer 🙇‍♀️ 🙇‍♀️ 🙇‍♀️
Absolutely a Goosebumps. Does something emotionally listening to her.

Reactions: 3
just as volunteers will for taking part
This is exactly what she would like you to believe. In reality, those "choices" aren't very straightforward and you easily get sucked in, boozed up and find yourself doing stuff you would not even think of before. All in the name of fun. Her fun, that is.

Reactions: 7
I would agree with you on many levels, live and let live foremost, except for the abuse of the people she surrounds herself with, lures them in with promises of true friendship, sucks the life out of them and when they are finally coming to their senses, meaning they realise they don't get that much out of the deal, she just dishes them like garbage. If she had the payed staff she can afford by now, it would be regulated by rules of employership. But this is cheaper for her and complaining leads to nothing but a quicker departure.
I agree on a certain level that she is providing entertainment & there are always idiots who think they actually know a person on screen from watching a 20 min vlog once a week. But there are also lonely, vulnerable, poor people who being manipulated by a cleverly crafted backstory. They are empathetic to the fake persona & that is where it starts to go wrong IMO. People who may not be able to afford much are subscribing to her thinking they are helping her out. That they are being part of a little bit of history by helping to preserve the chateau. It is at the very least manipulation & at worst a nasty marketing model. This is bad enough, but her behaviour to those who she knows in real life is as manipulative as that which she uses to get her superfans on board. And that to me, is unforgivable.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.