The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Will the coroner hold an inquest to determine whether it was suicide or an accident?

Reactions: 7
It’s so odd that even in court they say one thing in a statement and then another on the stand. It’s really bizarre to have such conflicting narratives at the same time.

Reactions: 13

I don’t think we’ve heard anything from the father so this will be interesting

I was thinking earlier that it must be very distressing for any family who doesn’t appear to be directly involved in this. Even if they agree with Hollie, I wonder how they feel about everything being so public - especially the pictures

Reactions: 5
What 10 year old boy would think he’d want to spend an indefinite amount of time dead in a bed with a machine breathing for him?

I think life support is the wrong phrase, it’s not support, it’s doing everything

Reactions: 16
Fgs when are the authorities going to step in? The family's contradictory and grossly unrealistic statements are clearly inappropriate and the grown ups need to take over now. Wtf is the judge tolerating this nonsense for?

Reactions: 10
Thaddeus Mason Pope, JD, PhD, HEC-C

@ThaddeusPope
·
20m

Archie Battersbee hearing - Mr Justice Hayden recaps: (1) on NHS' proposal (planned withdrawal), death peaceful & family gathered around. (2) But, on mom's plan, death may be chaotic, less dignified. Mom disagrees.
#ArchieBattersbee

I'm finding the tweets and conflicting narratives so confusing. What is Hollie's plan that is being referred to here? Waiting indefinitely until a cardiac arrest that he can't be resusicated from?

• Sad
Reactions: 7
It’s so odd that even in court they say one thing in a statement and then another on the stand. It’s really bizarre to have such conflicting narratives at the same time.
It’s almost like she’s tricking them because if she wrote those things in a statement she wouldn’t be listened to any other way.

Reactions: 3
They want his death to be natural but also don’t want to stop life support. If they acknowledge and accept he won’t wake up why Is Hollie leading the army on? Why is nobody close to her stepping in and telling her enough is enough With social media?

Reactions: 10
What 10 year old boy would think he’d want to spend an indefinite amount of time dead in a bed with a machine breathing for him?

I think life support is the wrong phrase, it’s not support, it’s doing everything
I also think it's just such a difficult situation because it's just the parents voicing what they think their child would want. I doubt they have ever really discussed fully what Archie would want in a situation like this because you never expect it to occur. Even if they have for some reason, as you say it's not really life support when it's doing everything for him

I think the judge is entertaining the parents because it's the right thing to do in a way. They need to feel like they have also been heard and their views considered, but at the end of the day it's Archie's best interest that is being decided. The fact that the judge has said that the death would be chaotic and possibly less dignified says where that decision is going to go I think

Reactions: 14
I think they need someone to sit down with them and go over his condition all over again because they aren’t getting it.

Reactions: 11
The longer the life support stays on, the circus goes on, more money can be milked from Gofundme, and she can still get her mug in the media. As soon as the machines go off, she knows she'll be yesterday's news.

How can his death be natural when it's already occurred though - he's only "alive" because of the machines.

There is no way they would know what his wishes are.
Children at that age cannot comprehend that type of scenario and its practical repercussions.
If anything a child would be flippant and would probably request to be 'switched off' rather than be left at best incapacitated and unable to lead a 'normal' life- which clearly doesn't apply in this case.

Reactions: 9
I don't believe that she doesn't want the absolute best for her boy and that she loves him dearly, but she's being enabled by these people telling her that a chocolate cake lip balm might wake him up, or all these people that don't understand that the poor boy has died.

These enablers are dangerous. Time for them to stop and for the poor boy to be left to pass with respect and the dignity that he has left.

Reactions: 15
How can his death be natural when it's already occurred though - he's only "alive" because of the machines.
Exactly, that’s not natural. Turn the machines off, if he breathes and keeps himself going, fine. If he stops breathing and his heart stops, that’s natural because his body can’t sustain its self.

Reactions: 12
Perhaps they want him moved for his final moments, like in the Charlie Gard case? Although he's probably far too unstable to even contemplate a hospice.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.