The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A breakdown in communication is a key factor in this whole thing. It looks like early on when Archie was brought to Southend Hollie was given (or interpreted) hope of a recovery for Archie. Then ever since they arrived at Royal London they've been given a more accurate but more bleak picture. They refuse to believe it or think it's a mistake because Southend unintentionally gave them a more optimistic outlook. It does sound, if we follow Hollie's version, that the Royal London weren't prepared to deal with the type of person she is and made a mess of that. She's said about how a doctor who told them that Archie was dead was very cold towards them, and how she was shocked that within 3 days they wanted to end life support. The doctors at Royal London were being professional but whatever approach they took with her in the early days has broken any sort of trust between the hospital and the family.
Its so difficult though, how is anyone, even a skilled communicator, supposed to know which families understand and which don't? I partly think it happened with Evans and Gard too. I don't for a minute think anyone's intentionally cruel in their tone or whatever, but something isn't working.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The woman is a bleeping imbecile. A covid denying, 5G conspiracy theorist who even today is complaining that she hates all the drugs he’s having to take and wants to look at holistic treatments.

Does she deserve this? No.

Is she a stupid bleeping dangerous bleep? Yes.

Reactions: 40
When is it back in court?

Personally I think they will need a police presence when inevitably life support is withdrawn.

Reactions: 11
For some reason I think the judge in the Evans' case gave a date for life support to be removed and I did wonder if the same would happen here.

I don't know if this is the last possible route of appeal though.

Reactions: 3
From afar I don't think he's stable. Are they still having to resus him?

The family have written on his board “no DNR “ so basically they keep saying it he crashes that’s gods way but they’ve also said they want him to be resuscitated if he crashes.

They’ve released the written judgement from the last court hearing which is horrible to read.

Also another example of their complete lack of understanding - they said in interviews that the judge had found six grounds to appeal when it was the SIXTH ground. Not six. Sixth.

Why isn’t their legal team advising them of this basic stuff?

Reactions: 13
The family have written on his board “no DNR “ so basically they keep saying it he crashes that’s gods way but they’ve also said they want him to be resuscitated if he crashes.

They’ve released the written judgement from the last court hearing which is horrible to read.

Also another example of their complete lack of understanding - they said in interviews that the judge had found six grounds to appeal when it was the SIXTH ground. Not six. Sixth.

Why isn’t their legal team advising them of this basic stuff?
I would hazard a wild guess that they are. Possibly with diagrams.
But if you say to someone ‘eat less chocolate cake’ and all they hear is ‘eat chocolate cake’ there‘s not a lot you can do.

Reactions: 19
this part of the judgment

“21.A factor that could militate in favour of it being in [Archie’s] best interests to receive further mechanical ventilation is the family’s belief that life continues for as long as the heart beats. Whether that was [Archie’s] belief is uncertain and if it was, whether his belief was faith based is also uncertain. Even taking that view into consideration, it is likely that the price to be paid for continued ventilation would be further necrosis of the brain and spinal cord with, perhaps, damage to other tissues and bodily functions. In these circumstances, the Guardian does not consider that it is in the best interests of [Archie] to receive further mechanical ventilation.”

so are the family saying because his heart is beating (even though it’s the machines doing it) he’s alive? Even though his body can’t do it for itself?

Yes, it does seem to be a lack of education/intellect that's prolonging this. Many people would listen to the doctors and understand exactly what's going on, whereas others will not be able to comprehend even the most dumbed down explanation and instead think "He's warm and his heart is beating, which means he's alive." I suppose it isn't anyone's fault that some people are unable to understand certain things, but it is a shame and also extremely costly. I hope nobody else suffers while waiting for that bed.

She’s posted pictures of his temperature today and says he’s managing to regulate it himself. And all of the army are commenting stuff like Archie is making so much progress and he’ll be opening his eyes next. What the hell is wrong with people!!

• Wow
Reactions: 16
A breakdown in communication is a key factor in this whole thing. It looks like early on when Archie was brought to Southend Hollie was given (or interpreted) hope of a recovery for Archie. Then ever since they arrived at Royal London they've been given a more accurate but more bleak picture. They refuse to believe it or think it's a mistake because Southend unintentionally gave them a more optimistic outlook. It does sound, if we follow Hollie's version, that the Royal London weren't prepared to deal with the type of person she is and made a mess of that. She's said about how a doctor who told them that Archie was dead was very cold towards them, and how she was shocked that within 3 days they wanted to end life support. The doctors at Royal London were being professional but whatever approach they took with her in the early days has broken any sort of trust between the hospital and the family.

Archie’s condition may not have looked so bleak to start with, especially if they had achieved return of spontaneous circulation. They can’t tell what his brain is like by just looking at him.

Give me strength....just seen some comments on one of the recent photos, apparently he has got colour in his face and is 'glowing'. 🙃

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Is it me or are his eyebrows really black and bushy? I know his hair keeps growing but it looks like he has such blonde hair but really black eyebrows..

Reactions: 2
Complaining today she can’t bring in her own physio - it’s like she has a terrible grasp on just how delicate he is and the wrong move could pull out a tube and then what? Hospital liable.

It’s beyond denial.

His poor dad seems much more sympathetic tbh
There is absolutely no way me or my paediatric trained colleagues would touch moving that boy with a barge pole!

Its so difficult though, how is anyone, even a skilled communicator, supposed to know which families understand and which don't? I partly think it happened with Evans and Gard too. I don't for a minute think anyone's intentionally cruel in their tone or whatever, but something isn't working.
Trouble is - as someone who's a part of conversations like this semi-regularly - people hear what they want to hear. You have to walk the line between direct and firm (which upsets a lot of people because they don't want/can't cope with the reality of the situation) and 'fluffy' and empathetic (which then ends up with things getting misinterpreted). It's insanely hard and the important thing is you could say it every way you want, the best way ever but some people still won't hear it. No matter how you say it, no matter which way you spin it, some families and relatives absolutely won't listen.

Reactions: 29
Another disturbing aspect of a lot of the comments in that group is their fixation on his blue eyes and blonde hair.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
There is absolutely no way me or my paediatric trained colleagues would touch moving that boy with a barge pole!

Trouble is - as someone who's a part of conversations like this semi-regularly - people hear what they want to hear. You have to walk the line between direct and firm (which upsets a lot of people because they don't want/can't cope with the reality of the situation) and 'fluffy' and empathetic (which then ends up with things getting misinterpreted). It's insanely hard and the important thing is you could say it every way you want, the best way ever but some people still won't hear it. No matter how you say it, no matter which way you spin it, some families and relatives absolutely won't listen.
I hear ya. I've been in there myself, I'm just ever hopeful that something can change to stop these situations.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.