The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm local so it is on our local news as well as national news.

I never bought the story about a tiktok trend, tiktok made someone apologise for as it hasn't been proven it was anything to do with them.

There was a interview with the family the other day where they said they believe life starts from a heartbeat and he has a heartbeat so should be classed as alive. My response to that would be turn off the machines and see how long he lives then.

They have appealed the decision so he is still being ventilated at the moment while that goes through.

I think it is grossly unfair. They need to let the poor boy go
I agree with u, they say they wish him to die naturally 😢 surely without machines he would not survive

Reactions: 9
It's very waffly and I'm struggling to understand what exactly they're trying to debate tbh.....................

Reactions: 3
From what I'm gathering, they're arguing about legal technicalities rather than any new information or information that was missed in the 1st judgement?..... which would indicate to me that they're floundering..........

Reactions: 5
People like this claim to care about their family members, yet they're utterly barbaric in their treatment demands. I used to have families that would go mad if you administered pain relief to a terminally ill person because it might render them sleepy and they wouldn't want to eat or drink - which dying people naturally don't want to do because it causes so much discomfort and difficulty breathing as well.

• Sad
Reactions: 23
From what I'm gathering, they're arguing about legal technicalities rather than any new information or information that was missed in the 1st judgement?..... which would indicate to me that they're floundering..........
I wouldn't say floundering. They're arguing a different legal test should be applied as to whether he is dead. The decision had been made on a 'balance of probabilities' which is a test used in civil cases and is a lower threshold than the criminal test. They are arguing that the criminal test 'beyond reasonable doubt' should be applied instead given the stakes are so high (a child's life). The whole appeal is based on the legal technicality and was allowed on this basis, it doesn't have to be about new information or missing info

Legally it's actually very interesting and will probably make a landmark case but for the general public it's probably very dull.

Reactions: 21
That's very helpful, thank you @judgejohndeed - I wasn't aware that's why the appeal had been allowed.

I think they need subtitles for the general public........

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think they've gone well beyond the beyond reasonable doubt argument, and if anything they've swerved it. Everyone seems to agree that it would have been better for the judge to have dealt with the best interests issue before going on to consider the question of whether Archie has died, and in this case she didn't really and in particular she didn't make any orders on that issue. So the argument now seems to be all around best interests, and whether the Court of Appeal should deal with this - in particular whether there is enough available evidence about it - or whether it should be sent back to the High Court for that issue to be dealt with there. The family's barrister seems to be saying the guardian didn't file much evidence about it because she too was concentrating on the issue of whether he is alive, and I think wants it to go back to the High Court, which unfortunately would result in more delay.

• Sad
It was itv who apoligised.
Apparently hes attempted suicide before

I absolutely agree re members of that group. I joined as i felt for the family especially mum. But as soon as u question anything they pounce on you trying to brain wash you with rubbish and then start harassing you over fb messanger

I read the court docs and realised the family are not giving out certain details to try and misled people i think.
Also mum changed her name due to her criminal record

Loves the limelight
Holy tit 😳 those poor children

Reactions: 5
If they have so much faith in their god why don't they unplug and extubate him and allow 'god' to make the decision? Perhaps they can pray for a Lazurus situation.

Reactions: 25
I don't understand what's happening now? Are they withdrawing to go through the paperwork submitted by the guardian again?

And so it drags on until the next hearing on 11th July for the judge to rule on Archie's best interests.

• Sad
omg that's appalling. Poor boy - he's clearly very medically unstable. What a horrific responsibility for his medical team :cry:

Reactions: 7
I think what the family’s legal team are likely trying to do is just stall for as much time as possible, and hope that Archie passes anyway in the meantime. They must know they ultimately can’t win legally, but Archie passing on his own while still ventilated would be a “win” for them; this death would be acceptable to the religious beliefs of the CLC, and it would give emotional closure for Archie’s mum that he died when “God” chose it, and that he’d died anyway and there was nothing more they could do.

It would also prevent the mum having the harrowing experience of knowing that his death is looming when they’re about to remove treatment.

For the CLC, the case may be beneficial for their aims if they can set a different precedent of what counts as death.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Interesting they never told their army of low IQ supporters and grief tourists that he had a cardiac arrest a few weeks ago.

Reactions: 16
If they have so much faith in their god why don't they unplug and extubate him and allow 'god' to make the decision? Perhaps they can pray for a Lazurus situation.
They’ve only become Christian after Archie’s hanging. It’s not their real beliefs, although many marginally religious people do suddenly find faith in times like these.

Their true “belief” is anything that delays the inevitable death of their child, because they can’t cope.

Reactions: 10
11th of July feels like a really long time away. I am thankful that Archie seemingly isn’t able to feel pain or be suffering.

I was never a member of the army group but I have had a look and you can see that the number of members is fairly small,and hasn’t grown massively considering all the interviews his mum has been doing. It’s a pleasant surprise when you think that the Alfie Evans group had about half a million members.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.