The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They’ve only become Christian after Archie’s hanging. It’s not their real beliefs, although many marginally religious people do suddenly find faith in times like these.

Their true “belief” is anything that delays the inevitable death of their child, because they can’t cope.
Crass selfishness then. They need to learn to cope. Other people manage. Other people accept the unacceptable without causing suffering to others.

• Angry
Reactions: 9
The Facebook group won’t get bigger because they made it private because they couldn’t stop squabbling and making drama on it.

Reactions: 7
Cowardly Court processes refusing to act in this boy's best interests.

So much for child protection.

Whatever the outcome, it will be twisted by the Army. If he dies on the ventilator it'll be because the "euthanasia squad", as they call the medics, will have speeded up his demise in some way.

If the machines are switched off, likewise, the medics will have killed him.

I'm assuming they think he survived the cardiac arrest because he's a "fighter" and it proves how much he wants to live.

You can't argue with stupid.

Reactions: 20
People were discussing the money raised a few days ago as it was stated they were for legal fees but it seems they are still working pro bono? There seems to be so many inconsistencies.

I'm surprised he doesn't have a DNAR in place. How awful having to 'resuscitate' him if he had a cardiac arrest. He 100% should have a DNAR if he is BS dead. Sooo confused over here.

What is the result in 'bringing him back' just to add extra medications, effort and machines into keeping him artificially alive? That is his body giving up! He likely will attempt to declare himself again multiple times. You can see it coming and often catch/reverse it, but if he's now on even more intervention (imagine he probably is) then there is little room to go further the next time it happens, so fully expecting a 'they didn't bring him back they like did last time, they just let him die' scenario.

Dragging this out longer is just giving the family false hope.

Reactions: 17
I'm surprised he doesn't have a DNAR in place. How awful having to 'resuscitate' him if he had a cardiac arrest. He 100% should have a DNAR if he is BS dead. Sooo confused over here.

What is the result in 'bringing him back' just to add extra medications, effort and machines into keeping him artificially alive? That is his body giving up! He likely will attempt to declare himself again multiple times. You can see it coming and often catch/reverse it, but if he's now on even more intervention (imagine he probably is) then there is little room to go further the next time it happens, so fully expecting a 'they didn't bring him back they like did last time, they just let him die' scenario.

Dragging this out longer is just giving the family false hope.
I'm surprised at this too. How is resuscitation in his best interests and if the family are saying they want him to pass naturally, why do they not have a DNAR in place?
My heart honestly breaks for all those medical professionals who have to continually care for him and those in the crash teams. How harrowing must that be? Working away on a dead child?
It's disgusting that this is allowed to go on, there is zero dignity for Archie and their is zero thought for those who have no choice but to tend to his dead body. I hope the nurses caring for him are being supported by a counsellor!

Reactions: 22
So weird that they are either twisting the facts or are just out and out stupid, but the court did NOT recognise him as alive?

Reactions: 16
I am finding this so confusing can’t decide if I’m not very smart or if this is indeed confusing

Reactions: 8
This is where medical advancements have got us. They're only any good if they're used wisely and when there is reasonable hope of recovery. I've nursed people who were in minimally conscious states (formerly known as PVS) and it's harrowing. These people suffer, feel pain and discomfort and have zero quality of life. The things you have to do to keep them going are undignified and painful. They can't be pain medicated properly. It's sick in the head to actively want someone to exist like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
So glad to find people with common sense talking about this situation. I’ll be honest, I’ve not followed closely as I’ve had my own stuff going on. However, catching the news today and hearing that this poor boy is being kept like this for longer has sickened me to my stomach.

I can somewhat understand people who are jumping on threads saying “oh but there was this person who survived…” blah blah blah, but it’s my understanding that in those cases, the people did not have an actively decaying brainstem!!?

I am so very confused as to why a court is letting this continue.

Reactions: 12
What this illustrates is that the medical profession really need to consider again the question of brain stem testing and what defines death. As I understand it, the reason they couldn't do the last test was that Archie didn't fit the criteria for carrying it out - but that was not because of any particular feature of his condition, but because he was dead. Hence the fact that they proceeded to an MRI, and hence the fact that the judge couldn't say he was dead beyond reasonable doubt. But where you are in a situation where every doctor who has examined Archie is in no doubt that he has died, then essentially the whole decision rests on a technicality rather than reality.

Reactions: 17
I’ve just read on another site that he went into cardiac arrest twice on June 6th and that the judge reiterated today that the solicitors fees are pro bono - meaning there are no legal fees. Therefore the go fund me is not being used for that.

Many other things are mentioned but I feel a bit 😔 bringing them up here. I felt the previous Gard/Evans cases were ‘uncomfortable’ but this one is on another level. I believe the naive feel this case is similar but there are so many underlying issues, suspicions, lies that what the mother is trying to present to the public is so so very far from the truth.

Edited. wrote July meant June

Reactions: 18
What this illustrates is that the medical profession really need to consider again the question of brain stem testing and what defines death. As I understand it, the reason they couldn't do the last test was that Archie didn't fit the criteria for carrying it out - but that was not because of any particular feature of his condition, but because he was dead. Hence the fact that they proceeded to an MRI, and hence the fact that the judge couldn't say he was dead beyond reasonable doubt. But where you are in a situation where every doctor who has examined Archie is in no doubt that he has died, then essentially the whole decision rests on a technicality rather than reality.
I swear I read that his mum denied the brain stem test? As it would be too final. So they had to use the other tests she would consent to

• Sad
Does the mother believe that one day he’s just suddenly going to get better and everything will go back to normal? Or does she know he will never regain any functionality in his body/brain and is just waiting for him to die naturally?

@KatyClover The reason the brain stem test couldn't be completed was because it's a seven step process, and one of the first ones is a peripheral nerve test. Archie had no response at all to the nerve test, so the test couldn't be carried out in case of a false negative result.

I suspect the reason for the nerve test not working is because his spinal cord has decayed in two areas.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.