The Archie Battersbee case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
"There have been too many battles in too short a space of time," said Mr Battersbee.

"He needs more time."

The question is - how much time is more time?

Reactions: 6
How does the appeal process work? Sorry I’m not clued up on these things. It’s just disgusting now the way they’re prolonging this.

Reactions: 7
Omg male nutrition, I can not explain how many times I had to re read that
I didnt actually work it out....it made no sense to me to blame a male nurse or Doctor, so I gave up.....I had no idea she meant malnutrition!

I do feel sorry for the family in some ways....it must be awful to lose your child, and awful to have so little understanding about whats going on!

But that bed is currently being blocked in ICU for another seriously ill child.....who could potentially die. Which is ridiculously selfish of her and the famliy

Reactions: 24
I just don't know how you can listen to a medical team, an independent guardian appointed for your child, and one of the best and most considered judges in the country tell you that interventions aren't in your child's best interests and still maintain you know best. Any sympathy I had for this family has left me, let the boy rest and get yourself some bloody therapy.

Reactions: 50
I'm so confused... I keep seeing in articles that they want him to die a natural death as God intended... surely that means turning off the machines that are keeping him alive unnaturally???

It must be horrific to make these decisions but this poor boy is in the middle of this being denied a dignified end.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I'm so confused... I keep seeing in articles that they want him to die a natural death as God intended... surely that means turning off the machines that are keeping him alive unnaturally???

It must be horrific to make these decisions but this poor boy is in the middle of this being denied a dignified end.
Exactly, its so contradictory, I don't think the family even know what they think any more. All this going on whilst that poor boy remains decomposing, the poor staff traumatically caring for him, and a bed that can't be used by someone who might have a chance of recovery.

Reactions: 22
Where does this end another appeal, what if they don't like the outcome of that appeal will there be another and another. Surely someone's decision at some point must be final?

Reactions: 19
Where does this end another appeal, what if they don't like the outcome of that appeal will there be another and another. Surely someone's decision at some point must be final?
Supreme Court is the final place an appeal will be heard, I think

Reactions: 8
I'm sorry for what may be an incredibly insensitive question, but one can't help but wonder if this was in America or another country where healthcare was not free and insurance or payment was required, whether this would be continuing to the degree it is. Of course I'm not suggesting for a moment that this is a primary reason to end his support or continue with it, it just seems incredibly ungrateful to the experience and knowledge of the doctors and medical staff, but also the NHS who are currently practically on their knees. The amount of medical care given to this child will have cost hundreds upon hundreds of thousands. That in itself is not to say a life isn't worth it, but at what cost? The boy would never have any quality of life, i think it is futile to keep him going like this. If it were me, I would not wish to be kept alive under these circumstances and as I said in an earlier post, i wouldn't keep my dog alive.

Reactions: 29
I hope that the family is supported through this but even more than that I really hope that the doctors and nurses who have treated Archie receive some proper support as well. I can't imagine how awful this must have been for them. :(

Reactions: 26
I could not go to that hospital and look those doctors and other medical staff in the eye, knowing how i'd trashed them on social media.
I take my hat off to those professional medics who are treating this boy under extremely difficult circumstances, knowing his parent is trying her hardest to belittle and discredit everything they've worked and studied hard for.
This is something that bothers me about this case too.
The constant bashing of the people who know what they’re talking about, the people who tried to save her son and are now keeping him alive and caring for him (with the machines).

It troubles me this whole case. Why was there a ligature, I feel this is a question the parents don’t want to answer. Don’t want to face up to. Don’t want questioned. And the longer Archie is kept alive the longer those questions aren’t being answered.

Sorry if that’s an unpopular opinion but I feel so uncomfortable about the fact it seems he wanted to potentially end his life at 12yrs old 😢

I can’t even begin to imagine the pain the family are going through right now. And my heart goes out to them.
But this is just prolonging the agony. Let him pass peacefully. It’s just heartbreaking all round. There is fighting for your child which is 100% understandable. But now I feel they’re just not listening and are just prolonging the agony and dignity for all involved - most importantly Archie ❤

Reactions: 18
I can't see any insurance company paying up for hopeless treatment. They're very strict. You'd be expected to remortgage your home to pay for it yourself.

This is abuse of the NHS as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 22
I hope that the family is supported through this but even more than that I really hope that the doctors and nurses who have treated Archie receive some proper support as well. I can't imagine how awful this must have been for them. :(
I’m sure they will. I work at a different ICU and we have access to a team of psychologists. And when there is a difficult case we will have a team debrief with the psychologists, with the option for individual sessions if need be.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I think when the Alfie Evans court was taken to the Court of Appeal, the dismissal was quite prompt. Legally they can't have grounds.

Reactions: 10
I've said it in previous threads, but the ambiguity surrounding what happened to Archie to put him in this state makes me feel really uncomfortable. If it was a "trend" why have their not been warnings about such "trend".

Also, if it was, sadly, an attempt to end his life, then prolonging this circus goes against the poor boys wishes and intentions.

It's a desperately awful situation. I don't see what an appeal will achieve? They are delaying the inevitable, and the longer they leave it, the harder it will be to say goodbye.

Reactions: 17
I am puzzled as I have been by previous 'armies' as to what they get from getting involved with such tragedies.
Someone put it well on the earlier thread - these people want to put themselves at the centre of things.

What do they do afterwards with in this case, tattoos, I wonder?
Admittedly if I saw someone sporting a tattoo about a child they never met, I would not think very much of them.

Poor Archie, all of this circus dehumanises the child at the centre of it. The 'army' will move on and stick themselves into the next tragedy.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.