The Archie Battersbee case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You know, part of me wishes the doctors and nurses would just up sticks and say "have it your way Hollie - bring in your Facebook huns with the Nutella and the choccie cake, and the lip balm, bring in the homeopaths, the reiki folk and the spiritualists. Let them perform their miracles".

The Army page has me wondering. Is this sort of thing unique to the UK and other English speaking countries? If a smiliar case happened in France, do you think there would be a frenzied group of women urging the mother to put a little bit of Camembert up to his lips?
BIB - I had the exact same thought.

Reactions: 9
Again please forgive my ignorance but I don’t quite understand how it got to this point - when Archie was cut down and they tried to revive him, why wasn’t he pronounced dead then? Is it because he still had a heartbeat of some kind before they realised the extent of the brain damage? I assume there must be a part of the brain still functioning that tells the heart to beat? I’m really confused how it got to this point.

Reactions: 8
Again please forgive my ignorance but I don’t quite understand how it got to this point - when Archie was cut down and they tried to revive him, why wasn’t he pronounced dead then? Is it because he still had a heartbeat of some kind before they realised the extent of the brain damage? I assume there must be a part of the brain still functioning that tells the heart to beat? I’m really confused how it got to this point.
CPR was performed by his mother and the paramedics, and he had a pulse

Reactions: 4
The general rule of thumb with CPR is that you keep going until: help arrives, you get too tired doing compressions or you get a pulse. The ambulance crew probably kept going as it's hard to justify stopping on a child unless you're experienced with this sort of thing, like ED trauma/resus teams are.

The human heart has its own system for conduction, although it can be influenced by hormones and the nervous system.

Reactions: 12
The people who suggest Nutella and other stuff honestly make me so angry. This is a child they are talking about not some sick science experiment.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
CPR was performed by his mother and the paramedics, and he had a pulse

They did CPR and got some kind of rhythm back, but they wouldn’t have known the extent of the brain damage until they’d done all the scans etc.

When they turned off the ventilator for 2 mins (not that long ago) he made no effort to breathe by himself. Now the machines and all the meds are breathing for him and giving him a heart beat, it’s not his body doing it for itself.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Yeah, I’m sure that’s what doctors learn at medical school. “If your patient doesn’t respond to any other treatment, dip their fingers in soil.”

I honestly despair. It’s like we’ve gone back to the literal Dark Ages of folk remedies and witchcraft.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
I am not clinical so will probably mess up my description of this but going by what doctors and nurses have said here and elsewhere, the heart doesn't need a brain to tell it to beat, it works on electrical impulse. Eg you can get an animal heart removed from its body to beat by wiring it up to electricity. Hollie says she did CPR on him.

In fact judging by a lot of court cases I have followed it doesn't seem to be that uncommon for someone to be revived by CPR etc but brain dead. Leiland James Corkhill and Teddie mitchell for example were both on life support but parents agreed for it to removed. The only difference here is Hollie preferred to make him into a show.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I don't understand the god argument. Is anyone a devout Christian on here? Surely removing the artificial life support is the best way of testing god's will to see if he starts breathing on his own ?
I am.
The majority of good Christians believe that God and prayer can heal, but only if it is his will. And good Christians believe that death is not the end.
We also believe that God gives us all a purpose in life, and that includes doctors. Their purpose is healing and caring. And a true Christian would heed their advice.

Any Christian denomination or sect such as Christian Science that twists the words of the bible to suit its own end is not a true reflection of Christianity

• Heart
Reactions: 28
The no dignity in death for children is in such stark contrast to the words from the wee 5 year old Karlton Donahey’s mum after losing him to an accident with a helium balloon which I’ll copy and paste here;

She said: "I remember a consultant stating that he was in a really bad way. I just hit the floor, I couldn't get up. I was crying: 'My baby boy, my baby boy'. It was just horrible."

Ms Donaghey said she did not leave Karlton's side while he was in critical care at The Great North Children's Hospital.

"I read to him and I sang to him," she added. "I washed his face, his fingers and his hair. I put Vaseline on his lips and I made sure he was clean.

"His heart was beating itself and his stats seemed to be showing improvement but he was suffering massive seizures. The last seizures affected him pretty badly. He wouldn't be able to function, everything was damaged.
"He was trying to fight on but I knew he was fighting with a little ounce of energy, it was taking it all out of him.
"I told him: 'Just close your eyes and rest' and: 'Don't worry about mammy'. I promised my little boy that it wouldn't break me.

"They took the sedation off him and he deteriorated rapidly. I had the opportunity to lie in bed with him, to hum and sing in his ear and cuddle him on my chest until his little heart stopped. My little boy just went to sleep and he looked so beautiful.

"I knew as a mother I wasn't going to bring him home. I'm just grateful to have had the six days with him."

This is dignity in death. And no photographs of the wee soul in a hospital bed, press conferences or barmy army’s.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 104
What on earth has compost got to do with it, are they planning to pop him in a grow bag and grow him a new brain stem?

Has any of them in the AA group started to offer a Herbalife drink or a JuicePlus sachet yet?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 23
Came here to discuss the Nutella theory but someone has already mentioned it.

I have no words for how stupid these people are. Honestly just gobsmacked 🙈

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I think just let them try whatever, nothings going to work. At least then they can’t blame anyone, could imagine ‘they told us we couldn’t try Nutella as they knew it would wake him up and prove them wrong’ or ‘the doctor wouldn’t let us bring soil to put his hand into and that’s why he hasn’t woke up yet’

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.