The Anna Edit #11 Dusty, musty, fusty and content very rusty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought about it the other day, and I guess it’s nice to realise that we cannot be influenced to just like anything. If we were influenced by Anna back in the day, we must have truly like it, because we are not influenced by her today. Although
Anna comes across as quite liking to splash the cash though. She is rather 'spendy'. I would be more inclined to think Mark had a bigger say in a scaled back wedding. He probably wanted something on a par with his salary than Anna's. I wish they had waited and had their wedding at the new house - it would have been more interesting for us as viewers. What empty, echo-y, mouldy room should we go in now Sue? I don't know Brian, let's try this one.
I’m pretty sure they splashed on their New Zealand honeymoon.

They were married in 2017. I remember, as it was about 6 weeks after my own wedding ☺

My personal views are that the registry office ceremony looked lovely, as did the dress, and the restaurant meal. I do take issue with the evening reception being at their flat, and not due to cheapness: I would wager that my own wedding cost about the same as Anna and Mark’s.

For me, my criticism is associated with the comfort of their guests: that flat was very small, and they definitely had a fair number of people back for the evening (Lily has referenced being in a quiz team with some of Anna’s relatives before). Where did all of their guests sit comfortably? How were they able to celebrate properly, bearing in mind that they were in an upstairs flat in a small building, and possibly worrying about noise?

This is always what comes immediately to mind when I think of their evening reception in that little flat. I don’t think I could have relaxed properly as a hostess, knowing that my guests were potentially having to sit on the floor, or that there may not be enough glassware/plates for everyone, at my WEDDING no less.
Just like any other house party? It seemed like loads of fun, and it was my understanding the entire wedding party was there from start to finish. As a guest, I know I would have loved this, there are many elements to traditional weddings that I do not enjoy at all.

No criticism, everyone should do what suits them, but a potential lack of plates would not bother me as a guest.

Reactions: 18
To each their own, but no, I have never hosted a house party when I lived in a flat, much less my wedding reception!

Reactions: 7
I will say, I really liked her choice of wedding. Not because I dislike a big wedding, but because it suited Anna and Mark. Mark has always earned significantly less money but insisted of paying his fair share. It must have been a real chip on his shoulder, as they sometimes went with the cheaper option she didn’t like just so he could pay his 50%. Sometimes it went a bit far, which is partly reason for the Mark = controlling at narrative (she of course the purple dressing gown/no heating madness, but that was part of his cost cutting to iirc). So, my guess is they went for a budget he could afford as well. And with Lily bragging about how she is “not that girl” and her wedding being so special and different only to see it turning out the most basic Pinterest wedding, Anna actually went for something different and more unique. A civil service, jumpsuit instead of dress, nice restaurant and casual ending in their flat sounds extremely relaxed and I think everyone had a blast. As long as you don’t expect people that didn’t make the cut to send gifts there really is no problem with going small.
Sorry but just to clarify she was wearing a Whistles dress not a jumpsuit. And I totally agree that it was a very unique and cool celebration. I’ve had a big wedding myself and regretted it. I would never do a big wedding if I could turn back the time.

Reactions: 9
Sorry but just to clarify she was wearing a Whistles dress not a jumpsuit. And I totally agree that it was a very unique and cool celebration. I’ve had a big wedding myself and regretted it. I would never do a big wedding if I could turn back the time.
I am no longer a fan of Anna but loved her wedding, it was so refreshing and I always thought I would have something like that.

However to add to the earlier discussion of feeling the centre attention at your own wedding, sometimes it isn’t possible to just do whatever you want, and what your family thinks does matter. Especially in different cultures (though I can only speak of my own situation I have heard from friends in other more community-driven cultures that they have had similar conflict with parents or in laws when it comes to big life events like marriage or kids). My partner and I tried to have a small 10 person registry wedding and his mother was so upset it almost ruined our relationship with her. We ended up having the wedding size and style she wanted and tailoring it to us and have no regrets now. I think it’s all well and good to say what your family wants doesn’t matter and to do what you want - I thought this myself before getting married - but in our cultural situation it absolutely mattered and it was unavoidable.

I think we have previously discussed Anna’s sister getting married (and divorced?) and how that perhaps influenced her wedding style decision.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
WE MADE IT! Well, we made it halfway through 2021 which feels mad to me. Like when did that happen? Have we had our summer already? Where did the year go? Have I just managed to sleep through it on my pregnancy pillow? Whatever the answer we have just passed the halfway point and I always feel like it's a good time to reevaluate where we're at, where we want to be and how we're going to get there. Of course this year calls for more flexibility and kindness to yourself than usual - let's be realistic here - but if you fancy making a shift, however big or small, now is your time...
LESSON #43
The Biannual Review & How To Do It
Ok this sounds kind of serious, but all I'm proposing here is to put aside an hour of your time to dedicate to analysing what's been going on in your life from January to June. Celebrate the successes, give yourself a pat on the back for any progress made and take a look at things that just might not be serving you anymore. Need some structure for the whole thing? Here's what I'd suggest.
1. Split the review into four sections: CAREER, FINANCIAL, WELLBEING & PERSONAL.
If ever you fancy making New Year's Resolutions I'd suggest the same categories. Career and financial do what they say on the tin. Wellbeing focusses on things that make you feel good; whether that's regular exercise or setting yourself a yearly reading goal, and personal is a bit more of a miscellaneous category for things like wanting to volunteer, join a mentoring programme, learn a new skill - you get the gist.
2. What went well in each category?
Let's celebrate the successes first. What has gone well in each category? Write them down in a list and don't be afraid to include things that feel small. Any progress or step in the right direction is worth writing down.
3. Where could you improve?
Go through each of the four categories and have a think about anywhere were you feel you want to make an improvement and it will be a positive step to do so. Make sure it's something you want to do - perhaps it feeds into a bigger goal? - but don't add things here that you feel you have to do because of outside pressures. Keep it personal and keep it right for you.
4. Ditch anything that isn't right for you anymore.
Is there a goal that you set yourself at the beginning of the year that's just dragging you down? Maybe it's a hobby that you no longer enjoy, or a goal that was far from realistic that makes you feel pants whenever you think about it - THROW IT OUT. The last thing we need is bad vibes right now and beating yourself up over something that just isn't right for you in the long-run. For example, I'm waaaaaay behind on my Goodreads reading goal and it's so fine. I read when I want to read and no longer feel the need to read avidly every evening as though it was my part-time job.
5. Create an edited list of goals for going forward.
Take a look at each of the categories and write yourself one or two goals under each - or maybe none of that category doesn't interest you - that you feel excited about achieving and/or working towards over the next six months. If it doesn't excite you or fills you will dread then get it off there, this list is for goals that motivate you and get you in the mooooooood to be motivated. It's such a simple concept, but hopefully one that will make you celebrate your achievements so far and get you grinning at what's to come. YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!​

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Wait. She’s still trying to make her newsletter happen. I thought she’d ditched that. Maybe I just hoped way too hard.

• Haha
WE MADE IT! Well, we made it halfway through 2021 which feels mad to me. Like when did that happen? Have we had our summer already? Where did the year go? Have I just managed to sleep through it on my pregnancy pillow? Whatever the answer we have just passed the halfway point and I always feel like it's a good time to reevaluate where we're at, where we want to be and how we're going to get there. Of course this year calls for more flexibility and kindness to yourself than usual - let's be realistic here - but if you fancy making a shift, however big or small, now is your time...
LESSON #43
Ok this sounds kind of serious, but all I'm proposing here is to put aside an hour of your time to dedicate to analysing what's been going on in your life from January to June. Celebrate the successes, give yourself a pat on the back for any progress made and take a look at things that just might not be serving you anymore. Need some structure for the whole thing? Here's what I'd suggest.
1. Split the review into four sections: CAREER, FINANCIAL, WELLBEING & PERSONAL.
If ever you fancy making New Year's Resolutions I'd suggest the same categories. Career and financial do what they say on the tin. Wellbeing focusses on things that make you feel good; whether that's regular exercise or setting yourself a yearly reading goal, and personal is a bit more of a miscellaneous category for things like wanting to volunteer, join a mentoring programme, learn a new skill - you get the gist.
Let's celebrate the successes first. What has gone well in each category? Write them down in a list and don't be afraid to include things that feel small. Any progress or step in the right direction is worth writing down.
Go through each of the four categories and have a think about anywhere were you feel you want to make an improvement and it will be a positive step to do so. Make sure it's something you want to do - perhaps it feeds into a bigger goal? - but don't add things here that you feel you have to do because of outside pressures. Keep it personal and keep it right for you.
Is there a goal that you set yourself at the beginning of the year that's just dragging you down? Maybe it's a hobby that you no longer enjoy, or a goal that was far from realistic that makes you feel pants whenever you think about it - THROW IT OUT. The last thing we need is bad vibes right now and beating yourself up over something that just isn't right for you in the long-run. For example, I'm waaaaaay behind on my Goodreads reading goal and it's so fine. I read when I want to read and no longer feel the need to read avidly every evening as though it was my part-time job.
Take a look at each of the categories and write yourself one or two goals under each - or maybe none of that category doesn't interest you - that you feel excited about achieving and/or working towards over the next six months. If it doesn't excite you or fills you will dread then get it off there, this list is for goals that motivate you and get you in the mooooooood to be motivated. It's such a simple concept, but hopefully one that will make you celebrate your achievements so far and get you grinning at what's to come. YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!​
OK I just glazed over after reading the introduction but anyway, wanted to share my #lifehack for reading her content without slipping into a coma: read it in Tom Allen's voice, complete with significant gazes to camera.
Honestly, read as satire, it's genuinely amusing!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
OK I just glazed over after reading the introduction but anyway, wanted to share my #lifehack for reading her content without slipping into a coma: read it in Tom Allen's voice, complete with significant gazes to camera.
Honestly, read as satire, it's genuinely amusing!
I wish Tom Allen narrated the scathing commentary that's always going on in my head, it would be a lot more enjoyable!

LESSON #43
Maybe it's just me but I know all these things without making a big song and dance about writing them down, dividing them in categories, etc.? Like, I'm living my life every day, I KNOW what's going on in these "categories" anyway? If they need improvement, I'll just do it without a yearly review. The time that's wasted doing the "review" I'd rather spend on working on my goals? 🤦‍♀️ she needs to stop making a big production about mundane things, it's just another case of her fake productivity....

Last edited:
  • Heart
I don’t understand how she makes such stupid spelling mistakes - “focusses”?! If she just wrote these newsletters in Microsoft Word first before pasting them wherever she posts them, it would quickly pick up any glaring errors! Mind you, she probably hasn’t bothered to pay for any word-processing software because that would require an actual investment in her “career”…

Reactions: 14
I don’t understand how she makes such stupid spelling mistakes - “focusses”?! If she just wrote these newsletters in Microsoft Word first before pasting them wherever she posts them, it would quickly pick up any glaring errors! Mind you, she probably hasn’t bothered to pay for any word-processing software because that would require an actual investment in her “career”…
Ah you must be American or write in American English. ‘Focussed’ is the accepted British spelling. Though tbh I rarely see it these days so perhaps it’s just gone by the wayside with the standardising of English spellings?

edited to add some trivia: MS word has actually done a lot for standardising language in a bad way, imho. For example -ize spellings used to be used in the U.K. way more often (and I think technically the OED does -ize?), but you can’t set word to to -ize and other U.K. spellings so most people think -ise is the only accepted U.K. spelling.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Ah you must be American or write in American English. ‘Focussed’ is the accepted British spelling. Though tbh I rarely see it these days so perhaps it’s just gone by the wayside with the standardising of English spellings?
Haha that’s embarrassing, I’m actually British 🙈 okay, that’s me told! Still, she does usually make stupid spelling mistakes 😛

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Haha that’s embarrassing, I’m actually British 🙈 okay, that’s me told! Still, she does usually make stupid spelling mistakes 😛
I can see Mark as the one that amended it, "We have to do it the right way, babe please change it to focusses" 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧

• Haha
Reactions: 9
LESSON #43
I saw it in my inbox today and decided it’s time to unsubscribe. I didn’t even read it. It’s just the same useless blabbing again. It’s sad really because there was time I was really enjoying reading it. Same goes for her website. Enjoyed her blog posts so much but it’s gone really bad now. She puts no effort in it anymore.

Reactions: 17
I wish Tom Allen narrated the scathing commentary that's always going on in my head, it would be a lot more enjoyable!

Maybe it's just me but I know all these things without making a big song and dance about writing them down, dividing them in categories, etc.? Like, I'm living my life every day, I KNOW what's going on in these "categories" anyway? If they need improvement, I'll just do it without a yearly review. The time that's wasted doing the "review" I'd rather spend on working on my goals? 🤦‍♀️ she needs to stop making a big production about mundane things, it's just another case of her fake productivity....
Aren't we only two weeks into "summer" (if it starts around 21 June)? Perhaps we could start with not wishing the whole year away, just because the first half of it has gone quickly!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I saw it in my inbox today and decided it’s time to unsubscribe. I didn’t even read it. It’s just the same useless blabbing again. It’s sad really because there was time I was really enjoying reading it. Same goes for her website. Enjoyed her blog posts so much but it’s gone really bad now. She puts no effort in it anymore.
First time posting here and I have to agree. I loved Anna and even went to her book signing to meet her but wow yawn. Her content is so low effort and boring now. I barely watch any of her videos anymore, I really don’t need to see her use the same makeup and put it on in everrrry video. Time to unsubscribe to her newsletter and videos I think 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 16
LESSON #43
Having a budget and managing my money just isn’t right for me anymore, so I’m taking Anna’s advice and throwing it all away to get rid of those BAD VIBES y’all.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

edited to add some trivia: MS word has actually done a lot for standardising language in a bad way, imho. For example -ize spellings used to be used in the U.K. way more often (and I think technically the OED does -ize?), but you can’t set word to to -ize and other U.K. spellings so most people think -ise is the only accepted U.K. spelling.
What do you mean, you can set your Word to US or British English. We switch between those at work all the time, depending on the project and the client. It’s no different from switching to French, German or Dutch. Once set to one or the other spelling, it will catch all -ize/ise, -or/-our, -ter/-tre, -en ense/-ence, and traveling /travelling and so on. And also focuses/focusses.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
What do you mean, you can set your Word to US or British English. We switch between those at work all the time, depending on the project and the client. It’s no different from switching to French, German or Dutch. Once set to one or the other spelling, it will catch all -ize/ise, -or/-our, -ter/-tre, -en ense/-ence, and traveling /travelling and so on. And also focuses/focusses.
Ah – Yes I’m aware of it catching all of that stuff! The point is that -ize spellings were also regularly used in the U.K. up until about 20 years ago. The U.K. uses BOTH -ise and -ize, while the US uses only -ize. Even now, Oxford English Dictionary and Cambridge English Dictionary prefer -ize spellings. BUT because Word doesn’t allow you to set UK English with -ize, it’s actually made people think that only -ise is used in the U.K. I hope that made sense!

See more here if you’re interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling

Sorry for adding to the post but I thought of a good example. If you’re using Word with British English, it would correct a sentence to this:

‘We have analysed the data and it shows need to prioritise the views on Anna’s videos to stay focussed’

This is accepted British English. However, this is also accepted British English:

‘We have analysed the data and it shows need to prioritize the views on Anna’s videos to stay focussed’

This is US English:
“We have analyzed the data and it shows need to prioritize the views on Anna’s videos to stay focused”

Also I was wrong – Cambridge always uses -ise I checked.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Ah – Yes I’m aware of it catching all of that stuff! The point is that -ize spellings were also regularly used in the U.K. up until about 20 years ago. The U.K. uses BOTH -ise and -ize, while the US uses only -ize. Even now, Oxford English Dictionary and Cambridge English Dictionary prefer -ize spellings. BUT because Word doesn’t allow you to set UK English with -ize, it’s actually made people think that only -ise is used in the U.K. I hope that made sense!

See more here if you’re interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_spelling
Thanks! We mostly had American lecturers in the university I went to, and together with mostly consuming American media and literature, I am much more used to American spelling. I currently work for the European branch of a Japanese company and we are encouraged to use British spelling. I always struggle with using "-ise", and I always thought that it's the official British spelling. But it's good to know that I am not completely wrong if I slip an -ize in there.

Sorry, off topic 😁

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.