The advice thread for random problems #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering if anyone knows how long test results take, I had an ultrasound scan on my abdomen 10 days ago & still waiting, I was told I would get the results early last week, I’m not sure if they will call me or send me a letter, I don’t want to ring my GP because they are busy, very little was said really.
I would ring my GP whether they are busy or not, just to ask for a time scale. I had an ultrasound and they didn't give me the results until I called. I know the NHS is in a state but in all my recent experiences this has meant it's essential to chase things up or you risk slipping through the net ☹

Reactions: 3
Everytime I’ve had a scan I’ve been told to call my gp for results within 7 days. Or they’ve called me before then if there’s been issues with the scan

Reactions: 1
Everytime I’ve had a scan I’ve been told to call my gp for results within 7 days. Or they’ve called me before then if there’s been issues with the scan
Thank you, I’ve submitted an email to request my results, the ultrasound tech couldn’t say much at the time (I’ve got gallstones) but I did ask if we’re still there & they nodded yes. Just want to know either way really.

Thank you, I’ve submitted an email to request my results, the ultrasound tech couldn’t say much at the time (I’ve got gallstones) but I did ask if we’re still there & they nodded yes. Just want to know either way really.
I’d phone and request. Its too easy to slip through the net with email.
As you’ve already emailed give them until Wednesday then chase.

I’d phone and request. Its too easy to slip through the net with email.
As you’ve already emailed give them until Wednesday then chase.
I’ve got the NHS login app, it has my results on there, they’ve only just been added sometime this morning, I can make out some of it, but hopefully my GP will make things clearer, my gallbladder is enlarged, I have 2 biggish stones 20mm & 24mm one is floating another one is stuck in the entrance to just gallbladder, I have ‘sludge’ as well that’s what I can understand anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Any advice for irrational anger? I can't afford therapy atm so that's not an option. I do meditate which does help. I've never had anger problems before, but I find myself so irritable/angry so easily these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm not violent or aggressive. I just vent on here or to friends. But I think being stuck in the middle of a family war, plus my mum being increasingly cantankerous and demanding whilst being in hospital (for which I'm running around after her daily) is just getting to me.

• Heart
Any advice for irrational anger? I can't afford therapy atm so that's not an option. I do meditate which does help. I've never had anger problems before, but I find myself so irritable/angry so easily these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm not violent or aggressive. I just vent on here or to friends. But I think being stuck in the middle of a family war, plus my mum being increasingly cantankerous and demanding whilst being in hospital (for which I'm running around after her daily) is just getting to me.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm stalking you on different threads 😂 I'm not, just noticed you do post about changes you making to eat healthy etc and being in a deficit. Just know that this can definitely impact mood as it puts additional stress on you. Together with what you're mentioning here, no wonder you get irritable. Don't be too hard on yourself about it. Like you say, meditation helps so keep doing that, make sure you do something nice for yourself like take some time to read a book or whatever you like doing, get enough sleep and go punch some pillows if you need to (helps me 😂) you're juggling a lot of things so it's normal to feel irritated. Take time to rest for sure.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Firstly I'd ask - is it irrational? Maybe you're putting extra pressure on yourself because you're classifying it as irrational, but maybe if you give yourself the permission to be angry at what you're dealing with it might realign itself in your mind.
I know you said you can't afford therapy, but I know a fab online resource that deals specifically with anger and how to manage it effectively, I'm not sure of the cost, I want to say maybe £200? It's really very good though.

Other than that, what about some L-Theanine supplementation? This can help cortisol levels reduce and just feel a bit calmer about things.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Have you tried your gp? You could see if you can get a referral through them, it sounds like maybe stress is at the route of it with being stuck in the middle an feeling like your getting pulled all ways, other than that is there a way you could take just one day a week an shut down to make time for yourself, like switch your phone off, get out for a day even if it's just taking a walk or going for a swim or coffee etc

There are also apps that may help, I think there's one called calm which might help, but I'd also check what there is free as well like help groups, maybe meeting up with others an going out for a drink will help, usually anger is the cause of something an it does sound for you like it might be stress

• Heart
When overwhelmed I get the same, maybe that’s what it is? Taking time for yourself should help. Good luck.

• Heart
I don’t know if it’s relevant for you but for me irrational feelings of rage were what I reckon now were the start of perimenopause. If this isn’t appropriate for you then I apologise but wanted to throw it out there. I’m on hrt now and it’s really helped. Rhodiola rosea is also helpful and GABA.

• Heart
Beating a boxing bag to pulp or lifting heavy weights helps me specifically, but all exercise helps because of the endorphins. I don't know if CBD supplements are legal where you live but they also help keeping calm. IMHO that's just dealing with the symptoms though, which to me sounds like you're stretched too thin while people keep demanding more and more and MORE and your have nobody to help you with your stuff.

Can you say no to some obligations / things? How involved are you in this family war? Do you even want to be involved? How does that articulate itself? Do family members vent at you about others or try to get you to take sides? If so, I'd honestly block them for a while (not forever unless maybe you realise that Aunt Meredith is a right old witch and you don't need that energy in your life), or put their messages on mute and archive the chats.

I'm guessing there is nothing you can do about bringing peace to this war. If that's something you're feeling like you should be doing, I suggest you stop trying. What's the worst case scenario if this war escalates? Are there any consequences for you specifically if things come to a head? If not, wash your hands off them and let them duke it out. It's none of your business what other, grown adults are warring about.

And your mum - do you need to run when she asks or is it some sort of guilt button that's been installed in you? If she's in hospital, her needs are taken care of. She won't starve, she won't get hurt. How much time do you want to dedicate to her? It's ok if you say "-5398439 hours a week, please give me back my life" btw ;)

Realistically, she's a grown bleeping adult and shouldn't need you to run her life for her. Yes, being ill sucks, but so does being run off your feet until you explode. If you feel super guilty for "leaving her", make it a managed thing. Dedicate 15 minutes to her demands in the morning, write a list of what she wants and manage her expectations to the best of your ability. You will come by at X time on Y date and you have Z hours / minutes to stay by her side. You will run X errand at that time and not earlier. Be very very specific and clear and if she needles you with "but why can't you do it earlier etc bla bla" ignore it. Repeat your statement and become immovable. This is your life after all.

• Heart
Beating a boxing bag to pulp or lifting heavy weights helps me specifically, but all exercise helps because of the endorphins. I don't know if CBD supplements are legal where you live but they also help keeping calm. IMHO that's just dealing with the symptoms though, which to me sounds like you're stretched too thin while people keep demanding more and more and MORE and your have nobody to help you with your stuff.

Can you say no to some obligations / things? How involved are you in this family war? Do you even want to be involved? How does that articulate itself? Do family members vent at you about others or try to get you to take sides? If so, I'd honestly block them for a while (not forever unless maybe you realise that Aunt Meredith is a right old witch and you don't need that energy in your life), or put their messages on mute and archive the chats.

I'm guessing there is nothing you can do about bringing peace to this war. If that's something you're feeling like you should be doing, I suggest you stop trying. What's the worst case scenario if this war escalates? Are there any consequences for you specifically if things come to a head? If not, wash your hands off them and let them duke it out. It's none of your business what other, grown adults are warring about.

And your mum - do you need to run when she asks or is it some sort of guilt button that's been installed in you? If she's in hospital, her needs are taken care of. She won't starve, she won't get hurt. How much time do you want to dedicate to her? It's ok if you say "-5398439 hours a week, please give me back my life" btw ;)

Realistically, she's a grown bleeping adult and shouldn't need you to run her life for her. Yes, being ill sucks, but so does being run off your feet until you explode. If you feel super guilty for "leaving her", make it a managed thing. Dedicate 15 minutes to her demands in the morning, write a list of what she wants and manage her expectations to the best of your ability. You will come by at X time on Y date and you have Z hours / minutes to stay by her side. You will run X errand at that time and not earlier. Be very very specific and clear and if she needles you with "but why can't you do it earlier etc bla bla" ignore it. Repeat your statement and become immovable. This is your life after all.
The family war is complicated, there's a lot of info in the incest thread. I am trying to be an uninvolved as possible but some is just passing on messages from siblings who aren't communicating with each other. Other aspects is speaking to police etc which obviously I can't really ignore 😅

I definitely need to put in more boundaries with my mum though, you're right there. She tends to message last minute (ie 9.30pm saying she needs insulin taken to hospital for her for 7.30am, I sorted that with a call to her ward) I think I also need to tell my siblings regardless of what's going on, they need to help more with mum. I get they have jobs and kids but so do I. It isn't fair to leave all down to me.

Can’t make this up today.

I was approached for an external role which I know is a dead end, but I wanted to use this interview as training for future interviews given I’m aiming for a more senior role.

Fast forward, I received the invite today and the person interviewing me used to work in the same department in my current company (literally used to sit across from me), probably knows my current manager and from past experience of overhearing them on calls, they can be pretty abrasive.

The interview is Monday but with all this in mind, I’d rather not even bother. I need yo find something ti cancel.

I was approached for an external role which I know is a dead end, but I wanted to use this interview as training for future interviews given I’m aiming for a more senior role.

Fast forward, I received the invite today and the person interviewing me used to work in the same department in my current company (literally used to sit across from me), probably knows my current manager and from past experience of overhearing them on calls, they can be pretty abrasive.

The interview is Monday but with all this in mind, I’d rather not even bother. I need yo find something ti cancel.
Just email then that you're not going to be able to interview for this position after all. You don't really need to give a reason, but something like "due to private circumstances I can't make it" should be more than fine.

Reactions: 7

TBF An interview with someone you know to be abrasive so likely 'tough' interview would be better for experience than an easy one. Unless you think it could jeopardise your current role, which it's not allowed to do it might be worth going through with it?

TBF An interview with someone you know to be abrasive so likely 'tough' interview would be better for experience than an easy one. Unless you think it could jeopardise your current role, which it's not allowed to do it might be worth going through with it?
I don’t know because I’m also invited to an interview without having been provided with a job description beforehand. I don’t mind a tough interview but I can’t prepare if I only know the job title and nothing else. This is also part of my issue.

You've had a fair bit going on recently (from stuff you've mentioned on threads) so it's not surprising you're feeling a bit strung out. As another poster (Becca) said, if you're operating at overwhelm then the default can be irritation.

The ironic thing about this is that it's taken me giving this advice to apply it to my own life.

You're not alone so keep talking when you need to.
---
I don’t know if it’s relevant for you but for me irrational feelings of rage were what I reckon now were the start of perimenopause. If this isn’t appropriate for you then I apologise but wanted to throw it out there. I’m on hrt now and it’s really helped. Rhodiola rosea is also helpful and GABA.
This is interesting. I'm obviously not the poster but I can relate to what she's said. Does peri affect your memory as well because I'm starting to worry there's something seriously wrong with me.

• Heart
I don’t think of this as a problem, but maybe more so seeking some advice? I’m looking at buying a new sofa etc and I’ve found one I really like in next. I suppose what I’m asking for is information on the quality of their furniture, what’s their customer service like etc

I really don’t want to make a purchase if they just leave you hanging should something go wrong

I don’t think of this as a problem, but maybe more so seeking some advice? I’m looking at buying a new sofa etc and I’ve found one I really like in next. I suppose what I’m asking for is information on the quality of their furniture, what’s their customer service like etc

I really don’t want to make a purchase if they just leave you hanging should something go wrong
In my (fairly recent) experience, their customer service was good. Bought two sofas which were delivered slightly ahead of scheduled date. Delivery men were excellent in bring them in without scuffing walls etc. Quality wise, well you get what you pay for. We didn't pay a fortune and to be honest while it looks good it's not particularly comfortable. Essentially it's just a frame with large cushions for the seats and back. The cushions are filled with foam pieces which don't give any support and can get uncomfortable after sitting on them for a while. Between buying it and having it delivered they introduced the categories of 'relaxed' and 'firmer' sit and ours was in the 'relaxed' category which we probably wouldn't have chosen if we had known.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.