The advice thread for random problems #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just booked an appointment on Friday for beauty treatment. I’ve paid in full but stupidly I’ve booked the wrong treatment (the one I meant to book is £50 cheaper too). The T&C’s say no deposits are refunded but appointments can be changed up to 48 hours before. Obviously this is less than 48 hours because I’ve only just booked it. I’ve messaged them but could they refuse to do it? I’m such an idiot 🤦🏻‍♀️
There's no harm in asking, but it would probably depend on the place, my work is more than happy to change it as keeping the customer happy is more important to us an its not like it's a cancellation, you are still showing up

Reactions: 1
Does anyone know what is happening with my external walls? I will get The professionals in to have a look just want an idea of what that could be. It is only at the back of my property, no damp issues inside
Do you have cladding? If it's a North facing wall it could be that it's not drying out and it's just mildew. Still should have been sealed though.

I wasn’t sure where to put this so here seems like a good place!

Basically, I have been toying with starting my own business for a couple of years and have been putting things in place for a while.
I also attend a dance class which gained some new members when the school moved to new premises about 18 months ago. One of the new members is a former dance teacher. Last year she mentioned in the WhatsApp group that she wouldn’t be able to attend for a while because she was doing a course at night college. She wants to set up the same business as I do. Well, she now has set up that business.
She is a very confident person and loves being the centre of attention. She’s not even slightly humble and I have never warmed to her.
Nobody knows that I want to also set up the same business and I feel awkward whenever it is mentioned. It can also be quite cliquey and it gives me the ick to see the owner of the school blowing smoke up the arse of certain people. We are all your customers and we should all be valued!
Anyway, I feel awkward whenever this business is mentioned and they are telling her how great she is. I feel like I am keeping a dirty secret even though I’m not. I don’t feel threatened by her. There’s room for all of us, but I’m not sure that she would see it that way. I also don’t want it to look like I am doing it just because she has. I also don’t want to put the rest of them in an awkward position even though I don’t expect them to be my customers either - unlike her!
This has made it difficult for me to go to my classes. Although I think this is partly because of the favoritism. I shouldn’t have to feel like this and after all of the work that I have done personally, it feels unfair that I have to face this rather than go ahead and concentrate on hopefully changing my life. My friend said to just let it go over my head, but I just can’t. So far I am choosing avoidance. I do know a few business coaches, but it’s not really a business problem!

Basically, I have been toying with starting my own business for a couple of years and have been putting things in place for a while.
I also attend a dance class which gained some new members when the school moved to new premises about 18 months ago. One of the new members is a former dance teacher. Last year she mentioned in the WhatsApp group that she wouldn’t be able to attend for a while because she was doing a course at night college. She wants to set up the same business as I do. Well, she now has set up that business.
She is a very confident person and loves being the centre of attention. She’s not even slightly humble and I have never warmed to her.
Nobody knows that I want to also set up the same business and I feel awkward whenever it is mentioned. It can also be quite cliquey and it gives me the ick to see the owner of the school blowing smoke up the arse of certain people. We are all your customers and we should all be valued!
Anyway, I feel awkward whenever this business is mentioned and they are telling her how great she is. I feel like I am keeping a dirty secret even though I’m not. I don’t feel threatened by her. There’s room for all of us, but I’m not sure that she would see it that way. I also don’t want it to look like I am doing it just because she has. I also don’t want to put the rest of them in an awkward position even though I don’t expect them to be my customers either - unlike her!
This has made it difficult for me to go to my classes. Although I think this is partly because of the favoritism. I shouldn’t have to feel like this and after all of the work that I have done personally, it feels unfair that I have to face this rather than go ahead and concentrate on hopefully changing my life. My friend said to just let it go over my head, but I just can’t. So far I am choosing avoidance. I do know a few business coaches, but it’s not really a business problem!
I feel stupid but what are you asking advice about? I;m not sure?

Reactions: 4
I sent their email to housing they’re not happy with what was sent to me. There’s more to this than I’ve put here (legal case, safeguarding, police involvement so can’t go into that).

The email landlord sent to them:

“re: my name, my address

Dear x,

This is to confirm above tenant can stay.
There’s no risk to her accommodation.

I’ll send this to her to confirm.

Yours y”

Not the same!

I’ll just need to see what happens but it’s a huge amount of worry I just don’t need on top of other stuff.

ETA benefit situation is complicated as someone decided to switch my benefits to income based without consent which they shouldn’t be meaning I can be switched to UC and effects things like pensions as well, and pip was stopped without any assessment or anything at all, deemed fraud and made to repay so that’s likely why the wait.

I apologise for not having said THANK YOU for the reply! 😊
Your thanks are appreciated but really not necessary. I've spent a lot of time training in these issues with CAB and it seems stupid not to use such knowledge as I have to try to help people with their problems.

You can read your landlord's email to you as a clumsy way of just emphasising that although he will let you stay for now, he still wants you to leave when you can. In that case his email to the council is entirely consistent. However I fully understand why it would worry you. Based on what you've posted here I don't think you need to be worried about being forced out. It's now down to the council to do their best for you.

There are legitimate reasons why your benefits could be switched from 'contributory' to 'income' based. For example if you are not in the Support Group for ESA you can only get 'contributory ESA' for 12 months and then you'll be switched to 'income based'. DWP doesn't need your consent to do this. The old 'income based' (also known as 'means tested') benefits are being replaced by Universal Credit which is also 'means tested' so the amount you get will depend on your income and savings etc. Once you've applied for UC you should only have to wait 5 weeks for the first payment and you can get an advance on that payment if needed.

I've never come across a PIP claim being stopped on the basis that the claim was fraudulent so that seems 'unusual'. It's difficult to see how a PIP claim could be fraudulent. However without knowing the details I couldn't comment further and I don't think this is the forum for that anyway. I would really recommend contacting Citizens Advice for help at least on the benefit issues. There are lots of ways to access advice besides 'face to face'. https://www.cabceredigion.org/services/

Find a new dance class and forget the other lady and teacher. Business or no business it doesn’t sound like a nice environment. I can’t imagine anything worse that going back to a pissing match of popularity like high school tbh.

Re the business, keep doing what you’re doing. Keep an eye on that competitor to see what they’re doing well and badly and launch when you feel ready.

Reactions: 6
Does anyone know what is happening with my external walls? I will get The professionals in to have a look just want an idea of what that could be. It is only at the back of my property, no damp issues inside
It looks like black mould to me. We had it on our old house which was similarly pebbledashed. It mainly affected the side that received the least sun which probably stayed damper for longer. As you say nothing on the inside, it's just the surface of exterior render. It can be cleaned with a fungicide although that doesn't look like a DIY job.

Do you have cladding? If it's a North facing wall it could be that it's not drying out and it's just mildew. Still should have been sealed though.
It looks like black mould to me. We had it on our old house which was similarly pebbledashed. It mainly affected the side that received the least sun which probably stayed damper for longer. As you say nothing on the inside, it's just the surface of exterior render. It can be cleaned with a fungicide although that doesn't look like a DIY job.
thank you all, it is pebbledash walls and north facing
l was reading up on it last night and the two options were to remove the pebbledash but that can damage the walls or get the professionals in to spray paint the whole thing

l was reading up on it last night and the two options were to remove the pebbledash but that can damage the walls or get the professionals in to spray paint the whole thing
My mum's property gets similar on the bottom few feet of her north facing wall and to be honest I just treat it with bleach spray but on a larger scale you're probably looking at a professional job 🙁.

Your thanks are appreciated but really not necessary. I've spent a lot of time training in these issues with CAB and it seems stupid not to use such knowledge as I have to try to help people with their problems.

You can read your landlord's email to you as a clumsy way of just emphasising that although he will let you stay for now, he still wants you to leave when you can. In that case his email to the council is entirely consistent. However I fully understand why it would worry you. Based on what you've posted here I don't think you need to be worried about being forced out. It's now down to the council to do their best for you.

There are legitimate reasons why your benefits could be switched from 'contributory' to 'income' based. For example if you are not in the Support Group for ESA you can only get 'contributory ESA' for 12 months and then you'll be switched to 'income based'. DWP doesn't need your consent to do this. The old 'income based' (also known as 'means tested') benefits are being replaced by Universal Credit which is also 'means tested' so the amount you get will depend on your income and savings etc. Once you've applied for UC you should only have to wait 5 weeks for the first payment and you can get an advance on that payment if needed.

I've never come across a PIP claim being stopped on the basis that the claim was fraudulent so that seems 'unusual'. It's difficult to see how a PIP claim could be fraudulent. However without knowing the details I couldn't comment further and I don't think this is the forum for that anyway. I would really recommend contacting Citizens Advice for help at least on the benefit issues. There are lots of ways to access advice besides 'face to face'. https://www.cabceredigion.org/services/
Well I still appreciate your advice. So I think thanks are needed 😊 especially on a site like tattle where we are all supposed to be mean trolling types!

With the housing I understand. I’ve been given advice on what to do if they turn up, housing have now accepted the landlord hasn't been upfront with them and so I’m letting them deal with that.

My ESA is support group and long term - 10+ years ( because of the nature of my illness) I’d been told I’d not need to claim UC, it now appears my ex advocate got it changed so I could get cost of living payments which I wasn’t eligible for for other reasons. The PIP issue was caused by a non qualified social worker sending emails during lockdown claiming I was better and they had proof that I no longer had needs and could work. They’ve since been suspended from work (as they lied about qualifications and their job - they weren’t a senior clinical social worker at all), at a risk of defending the DWP this email was sent to the whole of the local hospital as well as many others so I can see why they made such a decision. I have contacted CAB, their wait time is very long due to various issues taking place in the county, I am on the list.

The ESA wasn’t stopped because it cannot be without a benefit medical being done, apparently it can be with PIP 🤷‍♀️

• Wow
There's another option which is to have a 'monocouche' render applied over the pebbledash. It's more expensive than painting but looks much more modern than pebbledash, is water and algae resistant, self coloured so you never have to paint again and stays clean. The most common one is called 'K-rend' but we had one called 'Licata'.

Reactions: 3
Well I still appreciate your advice. So I think thanks are needed 😊 especially on a site like tattle where we are all supposed to be mean trolling types!

With the housing I understand. I’ve been given advice on what to do if they turn up, housing have now accepted the landlord hasn't been upfront with them and so I’m letting them deal with that.

My ESA is support group and long term - 10+ years ( because of the nature of my illness) I’d been told I’d not need to claim UC, it now appears my ex advocate got it changed so I could get cost of living payments which I wasn’t eligible for for other reasons. The PIP issue was caused by a non qualified social worker sending emails during lockdown claiming I was better and they had proof that I no longer had needs and could work. They’ve since been suspended from work (as they lied about qualifications and their job - they weren’t a senior clinical social worker at all), at a risk of defending the DWP this email was sent to the whole of the local hospital as well as many others so I can see why they made such a decision. I have contacted CAB, their wait time is very long due to various issues taking place in the county, I am on the list.

The ESA wasn’t stopped because it cannot be without a benefit medical being done, apparently it can be with PIP 🤷‍♀️
Wow that's a story! To be honest some of those issues are bit out of my league and if you came to me at CAB I'd be looking to pass you on to our benefits caseworker. I'm sorry that you're having to wait to speak to CAB. Obviously I don't know about their issues but we've never been busier at our branch. On somedays by the time we've dealt with all the requests for foodbank referrals, energy vouchers and appointments for new PIP applications there's hardly any time left for anything else.

It is and goes back to the start of covid over four years ago. I do know it’s complex and appreciate how busy CAB are, I hope you didn’t think I meant otherwise with my comment. Being rural and them only open three days a week makes it hard to keep on top of things I know.

Can you cut the wires that go from the sky dish to the box? So we got a sky dish put in years ago, got them to add wires to the living rooms an bedrooms, but now we don't have sky an for some reason they left us about 4m of cable which I assume was so we had freedom to move the TV an box around if we wished, mine an my brother's (now my nieces) rooms have been done up an we have been left with a mass of cables in the corners which I'd love to get rid of, can't get them under the carpet as for some reason they have laid the carpet then put the skirting board on top an I don't want to rip it all apart, can't put them through the wall as it would end up with cable flying about outside an I presume sky will charge a fee to come out an remove it all so I was wondering if I could just snip them or are those still "live" cables

It is and goes back to the start of covid over four years ago. I do know it’s complex and appreciate how busy CAB are, I hope you didn’t think I meant otherwise with my comment. Being rural and them only open three days a week makes it hard to keep on top of things I know.
No not at all. The branch I work at is dedicated to a single town so we're open all week but many of our neighbouring branches cover all or part of a whole county and are spread pretty thin doing a day or two (or sometimes less) across a number of towns. Add to that cuts to our funding, the increasing tendency of councils , jobcentres etc. to refer people to CAB (even for issues they deal with) because they themselves have had funding cuts and the explosion in people dealing with debt, money worries and housing issues and the loss of volunteers because they are worn out or disillusioned in trying g to solve unsolvable problems and it's a recipe for disaster. Not your problem of course - I just wanted to get it off my chest! 🥴

Reactions: 3
Find a new dance class and forget the other lady and teacher. Business or no business it doesn’t sound like a nice environment. I can’t imagine anything worse that going back to a pissing match of popularity like high school tbh.

Re the business, keep doing what you’re doing. Keep an eye on that competitor to see what they’re doing well and badly and launch when you feel ready.
Exactly what I was going to say. Good advice here 😄

Reactions: 2
Just wondering if anyone knows how long test results take, I had an ultrasound scan on my abdomen 10 days ago & still waiting, I was told I would get the results early last week, I’m not sure if they will call me or send me a letter, I don’t want to ring my GP because they are busy, very little was said really.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.