Taylor Swift

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok, the excitement has worn down a bit and I'm thinking that this album should have just been released as outtakes from the Folklore sessions rather than as a sister album. Nothing here stands out for me but it is quite pleasant background music. It's definitely no Folklore (which is disappointing but expecting two albums on that par was probably not realistic). I love The National so was exciting about her duetting with Matt but for me it just didn't work.

I'm hoping I will fall in love with it though - plenty of time! But after three listens I'm not really into it. Maybe it's intended to be a slow burn?

Reactions: 4
Listened to it a few times now. Like it a lot (not as much as the incredible Folklore) but indie folk and female singer songwriters are my sort of thing anyway and I think she’s up there with the best of the ones around at the moment I think - eg Phoebe Bridgers.

sad to say I think the Haim collaboration is a bit of a mess and makes me cringe a bit

• Heart
Listened to it a few times now. Like it a lot (not as much as the incredible Folklore) but indie folk and female singer songwriters are my sort of thing anyway and I think she’s up there with the best of the ones around at the moment I think - eg Phoebe Bridgers.

sad to say I think the Haim collaboration is a bit of a mess and makes me cringe a bit
Hahaha, that song just came on and it is cringe.

Reactions: 2
I think part of the problem for me is that it’s extremely specific in some of the storylines. Whereas with folklore you could relate songs to yourself, tv shows, books etc, evermore has more set storylines so it’s harder to get into

I think part of the problem for me is that it’s extremely specific in some of the storylines. Whereas with folklore you could relate songs to yourself, tv shows, books etc, evermore has more set storylines so it’s harder to get into
Yes, that is exactly it. It is not as relatable.

Reactions: 3
Controversial opinion, I didn’t like Folklore at all.
Evermore is a stronger album imo. To be honest Taylor’s album’s havnt grabbed me since 1989. There are one or two songs in albums since I have enjoyed but as a general rule not too impressed & certainly not albums I’d have on repeat- Lover- I’m looking at you.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Evermore is a stronger album imo. To be honest Taylor’s album’s havnt grabbed me since 1989. There are one or two songs in albums since I have enjoyed but as a general rule not too impressed & certainly not albums I’d have on repeat- Lover- I’m looking at you.
I really loved 1989. I really don't like Welcome to New York though I always skip that one, it really grates on me for some reason.

Reactions: 5
Going back to the William Bowery thing - even if Joe came up with a simple melody, a lyric, a bridge or a chorus she would still have to credit him and I think it’s nice she has done. I definitely think her and others she works with properly embellish and improve what he has come up with - I don’t think she is saying he is this great amazing songwriter, but clearly in lockdown they have discovered they can do the odd song together. I like that, and we don’t really know joe or what talents he may have.

I’ve been in the car a bit today and been able to listen to it -I feel the same as I did with folklore - I like it but it will take me a few listens to really get into it and understand the layers of it! I think there are tracks that stand out and stick With me already - closure, happiness, willow, evermore, tis the damn season and the one with haim. I agree though, could do without bon iver again but i guess it’s continuity.

Hahaha, that song just came on and it is cringe.
I don't mind it, but I think the 'I think he did it but I just can't prove it...' repetition ruins it.

I actually really like Bon Iver on the albums, but much preferred exile to evermore. I wonder if she will do another Disney+ doc about it.

Reactions: 1
Omg really was disappointed in lover. So anything to me is better than that!!

I quite like it, hasn't quite hooked me like folklore did. But I'm sure after a few more listens I'll enjoy it more. For me, it's definitely going to be the type of album you chill to with it just playing in the background or for a night drive.

Reactions: 6
Okay... had another listen.

Willow: Reminds me of Safe and Sound or a song that would be in Outlander. It is okay but not as good as Cardigan. I am liking hearing proper instruments in Folklore and Evermore.
Favourite lyric: "Show me the places where others gave you scars."

Champagne Problems: Really like this, love the low notes, I feel Taylor sings those really well. The piano gives me New Years Day vibes. LOVE the bridge. It is classic Taylor style.
Favourite lyric: "You had a speech, you're speechless. Love slipped beyond your reaches." // "Your heart was glass, I dropped it." // "But you'll find the real thing instead, she'll patch up the tapestry that I shred."

Gold Rush: This seems like the grown-up sober version of Gorgeous. Gives me 1989 vibes.
Favourite lyrics: "Eyes like sinking ships on waters, so inviting, I almost jump in." // "I don't like falling feels like flying 'til the bone crush." // "My mind turns your life into folklore."

'Tis The Damn Season: I think we have all been there at some point with an ex.
Favourite lyric: The only stand-out one is: "and the heart I know I am breaking is my own, to leave the warmest bed I've ever known."

No Body, No Crime: Ehhh, it's ok. Reminds me of Goodbye Earl by Dixie Chicks. Fun but not great.

Tolerate It: Okay but not her best Track 5. I think Happiness is more suited for track 5.
Favourite lyric: "Now I'm begging for footnotes in the story of your life."

Happiness: So sad. Track 5 worthy.
Favourite lyrics: But now my eyes leak acid rain on the pillow where you used to lay.

Dorothea: Gives me Betty vibes. Cutesy. Not outstanding. I don't have a favourite lyric.

Coney Island: Another okay one. Maybe a grower? Honestly... at this point, I am finding the album REALLY long, slow and quite boring. Have never felt that about a Taylor album before. More a background album than anything else.
Fav lyric: Did I paint your bluest sky the darkest grey?

Ivy: Taylor likes singing about affairs it seems. Is this about a woman/woman affair?? I really like this song though.
Fav lyrics: your touch brought forth an incandescent glow, tarnished but so grand.

Cowboy Like Me: Ooh, I quite like this one.
Favourite lyrics: Eyes full of stars, hustling for the good life, never thought I would meet you here.

Long Story Short: Kinda gives me 1989 vibes again - references to rabbit hole reminds me of Wonderland.
Favourite lyrics: and he's passing by, rare as the glimmer of a comet in the sky.

Marjorie: A nice song about her gran. I think people will easily relate to it.

Closure: Quite like it.
Favourite lyric: "I know I'm just a wrinkle in your new life."

Evermore: A really long song.

Okay, my god. It felt like a really long album. I found much of it boring and so depressing. I do not think it needed so many songs... and there are two bonus ones not released yet.

• Heart
evermore's not quite as immediately amazing as folklore was, but there are absolute gems here. maybe it's because everyone *wanted* the folklore sound for so long and may be a bit jaded by a "part 2" so soon

anyway, after a 3rd listen; long story short, ivy, coney island, champagne problems, dorothea and marjorie are the ones 🙌

also, I feel like a proper tumblr swifty here, but there is the exact same birdsong sample at the exact same time on evermore as there is on exile. they are proper sister songs!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm thinking that this album should have just been released as outtakes from the Folklore sessions
Definitely, when I saw she was just selling the one version of the album and not a crazy number of special editions with 20 different skus of merch it kinda gives away that it's more of an afterthought.

At least it didn't have a tedious buildup.

I'll probably listen a couple more times to pick out the good ones for a playlist.

I didn't realise some of the rerecords were out there:

I think she released Evermore as, like any artist, she needs to make money for her label. They would have been counting on her tour making them a huge amount of money this year and that got scrapped. She's now released 3 albums under her new label already (lover, folklore, and evermore).

It took me a long time to get into folklore so I’m imagining the same will happen with evermore.

I’m the type who is still obsessed with Enchanted, Last Kiss and Haunted though - 1989, Reputation and Lover were by far my favourite albums by her and I find the slowed down stuff that folklore and evermore are, a lot more mature in terms of sound and obviously following her growing up and being this person.

So far I love willow, no body no crime (as it’s probably the one I relate back to my favourite type of albums) and champagne problems. I still keep wishing for another pop, synth based Taylor/Jack Antonoff collaboration for me. No song, will ever ever beat Cruel Summer/Dress/So It Goes../You Are In Love for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It took me a long time to get into folklore so I’m imagining the same will happen with evermore.

I’m the type who is still obsessed with Enchanted, Last Kiss and Haunted though - 1989, Reputation and Lover were by far my favourite albums by her and I find the slowed down stuff that folklore and evermore are, a lot more mature in terms of sound and obviously following her growing up and being this person.

So far I love willow, no body no crime (as it’s probably the one I relate back to my favourite type of albums) and champagne problems. I still keep wishing for another pop, synth based Taylor/Jack Antonoff collaboration for me. No song, will ever ever beat Cruel Summer/Dress/So It Goes../You Are In Love for me.
YES, here for the love for Lover... It has so many good songs: Cruel Summer, I Think He Knows (amazing to drive to), Miss Americana, Death By A Thousand Cuts, Cornelia Street, Paper Rings, London Boy (a bop), Afterglow, It's Nice To Have a Friend (underrated) and Daylight.

Speak Now is a brilliant album. I listened to Red recently and was surprised at how many skips it has for me.

I will go through my skips for her albums... and would love to know everyone else's.

Debut: Picture to Burn, Tied Together with a Smile, Should've Said No, (A Perfectly Good Heart, bonus song). 4 skips out of 12.

Fearless: White Horse, Tell Me Why, You're Not Sorry, The Way I Loved You, Change. Loved these as an angsty teen but not now at 28. 5 skips out of 13 tracks.

Speak Now: Back To December, Never Grow Up (too sad). 2 skips out of 14.

Red: Trouble, 22, Never Getting Back Together, Stay x 3, The Last Time, Everything Has Changed, Girl at Home. 7 skips out of 19.

1989: Bad Blood (should have been replaced with New Romantics). 1 skip out of 16. Her magnum opus for me.

Rep: End Game (cringe. A terrible song). Ready For It (not always as it brings back good tour memories), LWYMMD (terrible, fun at first), This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things, Call It What You Want, NYD (snooze). 6 out of 15.

Lover: The Man (only cause I am bored of it), Soon You'll Get Better (depressing). Sometimes Me... but sometimes it is a good pick-me-up, lol. 2 out of 18.

Folklore: Epiphany (only cause it is so sad). 1 out of 16.

My skips:

Taylor Swift - haven’t listened to this album in ages..... so don’t really know which ones I skip, maybe Mary’s Song

Fearless : Hey Stephen (sometimes) Change, That’s the Way I Loved you, The Best Day (if I’m not in the mood for it)

Speak Now : Never Grow Up (too sad)

Red: Stay Stay Stay, Sad Beautiful Tragic, The Lucky One

1989: How you get the girl ( I can’t fully explain the dislike I have for this song but I can’t actually listen to it - was there no other better song they cut?!), This Love. Used to skip WTNY but it’s grown one me.

Reputation - None (lol and I hated this album at first
!!) I actually think the tour made me love this album more.

Lover - London Boy, Soon You’ll Get Better (too sad), False God, Its Nice to have a Friend, Paper Rings (sometimes), Afterglow (sometimes), Daylight (sometimes)

folklore - mirror ball

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.