Taylor Swift

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wont do ratings cos I havent decided on that yet, but here's mine

The 1
I like this cos I too thought she's just gonna talk about Joe forever so it's nice to see her exploring a story about an ex (even if it's not about her)

Cardigan
I didnt like this on the first listen cos it was too Lana. Still wondering why it was chosen as the first 'single'. But I dont think it's possible to do the bait and switch first single with this album. It's a grower, great bridge.

The last great american dynasty
I loved listening to this the first time with the reveal that she bought the house and she was now the crazy woman they talked about living there. Reminds me of the lucky one.

Exile
Dont like Bon Iver's voice personally and I wish it wasnt a duet, but I love the metaphor. And I prefer it to the last time.

My tears ricochet
I try not to think about this being about Scott cos I like it as a love story gone wrong. Really great song, I approve as track 5!

Mirrorball
My least favourite. I think the imagery of a mirrorball doesnt go with the general vibe and old fashioned America I get from this album. And I just generally dont like it. BUT I think it couldve worked so well on Lover as track 5 and the archer could've come on folklore

Seven
Starts off cute, then gets sad :( Great descriptions and imagery of running around in fields as a kid

August
Love this, a highlight of the album! Couldve been first single (if it was august lol)

This is me trying
This was a skipper for me but I'm getting more into it.

Illicit Affair
My current fav. Makes me think I've been in this situation when I havent! The a million little times part makes me sad.

Invisible String
Very cute. It's a lot easier to digest songs about Joe now they've been together longer. Love the joe jonas line too. He makes it on another album haha!

Mad Woman
This one is ok, a bit boring maybe

Epiphany
I too think it's about medics then and now. It's a bit wishy washy though and dont fully get the lyrics.

Betty
I like this but not as much as everyone else. I like the part with the f word the most, doesnt feel gratuitous

Peace
Like the lyrics but not the format of the song really.

Hoax
Very simple arrangement, curious if this is a Betty story or a Taylor story (or both)

Reactions: 7
I just realised this is her first album in forever where there isn't a cheesy song like Me, Shake It Off, You Need To Calm Down, We are Never Getting Back Together, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Forgot to say in my last post but the one thing I hated was the Kanye reference 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
He’s featured now on FOUR albums. Half her discography, let it gooooo Taylor.

(It’s in Peace, she says “fools you the east, clowns to the West” and the lyrics have a capital W, but east is lowercase)

• Haha
Forgot to say in my last post but the one thing I hated was the Kanye reference 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

(It’s in Peace, she says “fools you the east, clowns to the West” and the lyrics have a capital W, but east is lowercase)
ahahhaah, she is smart though.

Reactions: 8

Sorry was just reading this thread and I don't think the reference is about Kayne but probably about Big Machine, her last record label.

Reactions: 2
Sorry was just reading this thread and I don't think the reference is about Kayne but probably about Big Machine, her last record label.
Could be, but the capitalisation of the W in West but not the E in east makes it look like she's highlighting West being a name?

Reactions: 3
Ha I thought you might have something leftfield like Daylight :LOL:

Maybe I should give "only the young" a second play. Might play the album again this weekend if the weather is bad
Give False God a 2nd play too 😉

Give False God a 2nd play too 😉
The SNL performance of false god is a career highlight for her! The "live" version I prefer to the studio one

She's changed all her thumnails of her videos to a folklore ad, I don't know how it's possible to be one of the biggest A listers and always come across as so desperate :LOL: That said I'd buy a vinyl if she was signing more like the whole "meh!" campgain. Didn't someone here buy it?

1595846315921.png

Last edited:
I think Folklore is her best album and is up there alongside Red.

The lyrics are just magic;
“hell was the journey but it brought me heaven” is just *chefs kiss*
&
the drop after “Free from women with madness, bad men and bad habits....And then it was bought by me..”
GENIUS.

• Heart
I haven’t stopped listening to this album...... 😐
I honestly love it.

I downloaded another new release I’d been waiting for the week after and I haven’t played it once 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think Folklore is her best album and is up there alongside Red.

The lyrics are just magic;
“hell was the journey but it brought me heaven” is just *chefs kiss*
&
the drop after “Free from women with madness, bad men and bad habits....And then it was bought by me..”
GENIUS.
Ugh. I LOVE The Last Great American Dynasty. The storytelling on this album is BRILLIANT. This is the album I wanted from her for a while. It is #1 for the 3rd week in a row which is amazing. How good is The Lakes too? I learn new words from her songs...her vocabulary is so good. Haha.

Here is my order of favourites right now... it always changes though!

1. this is me trying
2. peace
3. mirrorball
4. my tears ricochet
5. the last great american dynasty
6. august
7. illicit affairs (this has been a major grower)
8. mad woman (another grower) -- "the master of spin has a couple of side-flings, good wives always know" woof. and "you poke that bear til her claws come out" is a favourite lyric of mine.
9. betty
10. the lakes
11. mad woman
12. cardigan
13. the 1
14. exile
15. invisible string
16. seven
17. hoax/epiphany

Honestly, there are no bad songs on this album and they could all be in my top 10.

I haven’t stopped listening to this album...... 😐
I honestly love it.

I downloaded another new release I’d been waiting for the week after and I haven’t played it once 😆
Same. I have had it on repeat.

• Heart
So interesting seeing people’s orders!! Some of your bottoms are my tops! I love Invisible String, the lyrics are amazing!

Have had Invisible String on repeat tonight.. the lyrics are beautiful:

"Time, curious time, gave me no compasses, gave me no signs.
Were there clues I didn't see? And isn't it just so pretty to think all along there was some invisible string tying you to me?

Time mystical time, cutting me open, then healing me fine.

Something wrapped all of my past mistakes in barbed wire. Chains around my demons, wool to brave the seasons. One single thread of gold tied me to you.

Hell was the journey but it brought me heaven."

Ugh, she has such a way with words.

Have had Invisible String on repeat tonight.. the lyrics are beautiful:

"Time, curious time, gave me no compasses, gave me no signs.
Were there clues I didn't see? And isn't it just so pretty to think all along there was some invisible string tying you to me?

Time mystical time, cutting me open, then healing me fine.

Something wrapped all of my past mistakes in barbed wire. Chains around my demons, wool to brave the seasons. One single thread of gold tied me to you.

Hell was the journey but it brought me heaven."

Ugh, she has such a way with words.
Yessssss and I love ‘one single thread of gold tied me to you’

Reactions: 1
I gave this album one play in the car on the day it came out, decided it was poor and have only just given it another go this week.

Oh how wrong was I? This really is the album I’ve been waiting for since Fearless! I’ve had it on repeat for 2 days straight now!

Now that this album has been out a few weeks I have had time to stew over it... here are my favourite lyrics, lol.

• the 1: we never painted by the numbers baby but we were making it count, you know the great loves of all time are over now.

• cardigan: I knew you, leaving like a father, running like water. // I knew you would linger like a tattoo kiss, I knew you would haunt all of my what-ifs.

• the last great american dynasty: Her saltbox house on the coast took her mind off St Louis.

• exile: I can see you staring honey like he's just your understudy like you'd get your knuckles bloody for me.

• my tears ricochet: If I'm on fire, you'll be made of ashes too. // You know I didn't want to have to haunt you, what a ghostly scene. // You can aim for my heart, go for blood but you will still miss me in your bones.

• mirrorball: "I'll get you out on the floor, shimmering beautiful. And when I break it's in a million pieces. // I'm still a believer but I don't know why. I've never been a natural, all I do is try try try. I'm still on that trapeze, I'm still doing everything to get you looking at me. -- I think this song is about the fans and how they have stuck around...a more grown-up version of Long Live. The bridge going on about the circus/disco/rodeo to me symbolises her different musical eras (red tour was circus themed, 1989 was disco and TS/Fearless/Speak Now was country). "I can change everything about me to fit in" alludes to that too. How the fans have stuck around when everyone else turned against her, "hush, when no one is around my dear. You'll find me on my tallest tip-toes, spinning in my highest heels, shining just for you."

• seven: passed down like folks songs, our love lasts so long.

• august: wanting was enough, for me it was enough, to live for the hope of it all.

• this is me trying: My words shoot to kill when I'm mad, I have a lot of regrets about that. // I was so ahead of the curve, the curve became a sphere. // It's hard to be at a party when you feel like an open wound. // You're a flashback in a film reel on the one screen in my town.

• illicit affairs: Take the words for what they are, a dwindling mercurial high.

• invisible string: Time, mystical time, cutting me open then healing me fine. // Something wrapped all of my past mistakes in barbed wire, chains around my demons, wool to brave the seasons, one single thread of gold ties me to you. // Hell was the journey but it brought me heaven.

• mad woman: Does a scorpion sting when fighting back? They strike to kill and you know I will. // Now I breathe flames each time I talk.

• Epiphany: Only twenty minutes to sleep but you dream of some epiphany.

• betty: if you kiss me will it be just like I dreamed it? Will it patch your broken wings?

• peace: I'd swing with you for the fences, sit with you in the trenches.

• hoax: My sleepless night, my winless fight, this has frozen my ground. // My broken drum, you have beaten my heart.

• the lakes: I've come too far to watch some name dropping sleaze tell me what are my words worth. // I want aurora and sad prose, I want to watch wisteria grow over my bare feet cause I haven't moved in years.

Now that this album has been out a few weeks I have had time to stew over it... here are my favourite lyrics, lol.

• the 1: we never painted by the numbers baby but we were making it count, you know the great loves of all time are over now.

• cardigan: I knew you, leaving like a father, running like water. // I knew you would linger like a tattoo kiss, I knew you would haunt all of my what-ifs.

• the last great american dynasty: Her saltbox house on the coast took her mind off St Louis.

• exile: I can see you staring honey like he's just your understudy like you'd get your knuckles bloody for me.

• my tears ricochet: If I'm on fire, you'll be made of ashes too. // You know I didn't want to have to haunt you, what a ghostly scene. // You can aim for my heart, go for blood but you will still miss me in your bones.

• mirrorball: "I'll get you out on the floor, shimmering beautiful. And when I break it's in a million pieces. // I'm still a believer but I don't know why. I've never been a natural, all I do is try try try. I'm still on that trapeze, I'm still doing everything to get you looking at me. -- I think this song is about the fans and how they have stuck around...a more grown-up version of Long Live. The bridge going on about the circus/disco/rodeo to me symbolises her different musical eras (red tour was circus themed, 1989 was disco and TS/Fearless/Speak Now was country). "I can change everything about me to fit in" alludes to that too. How the fans have stuck around when everyone else turned against her, "hush, when no one is around my dear. You'll find me on my tallest tip-toes, spinning in my highest heels, shining just for you."

• seven: passed down like folks songs, our love lasts so long.

• august: wanting was enough, for me it was enough, to live for the hope of it all.

• this is me trying: My words shoot to kill when I'm mad, I have a lot of regrets about that. // I was so ahead of the curve, the curve became a sphere. // It's hard to be at a party when you feel like an open wound. // You're a flashback in a film reel on the one screen in my town.

• illicit affairs: Take the words for what they are, a dwindling mercurial high.

• invisible string: Time, mystical time, cutting me open then healing me fine. // Something wrapped all of my past mistakes in barbed wire, chains around my demons, wool to brave the seasons, one single thread of gold ties me to you. // Hell was the journey but it brought me heaven.

• mad woman: Does a scorpion sting when fighting back? They strike to kill and you know I will. // Now I breathe flames each time I talk.

• Epiphany: Only twenty minutes to sleep but you dream of some epiphany.

• betty: if you kiss me will it be just like I dreamed it? Will it patch your broken wings?

• peace: I'd swing with you for the fences, sit with you in the trenches.

• hoax: My sleepless night, my winless fight, this has frozen my ground. // My broken drum, you have beaten my heart.

• the lakes: I've come too far to watch some name dropping sleaze tell me what are my words worth. // I want aurora and sad prose, I want to watch wisteria grow over my bare feet cause I haven't moved in years.
Those Mirrorball lyrics are also a nod to Blank Space:

Cherry lips, crystal skies
I could show you incredible things
Stolen kisses, pretty lies
You're the king, baby, I'm your queen
Find out what you want
Be that girl for a month

Bucking the trend here, I love Cardigan so much!! The video hit me right in the feels, especially while in semi-lockdown. Her in the water clinging to the piano..... I was sobbing 'girl SAAAAAME'!!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.