Taylor Swift

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Guardian in its review stated “the biggest problem with Lover, is that it’s too long”.
Totally agree, the amount of tracks is either due to or led to a lack of quality control. Swift is normally a lot more on the ball in this respect.
As a result I found I only liked literally only two tracks, Miss Americana & Cornelia Street.
The rest of the album I found, as very eloquently put “meh”.

Reactions: 2
I feel like they’re a bunch of left over B sides 😐
Longer albums count for chart positions right?!
More songs to stream/higher position in the charts.

I’m shocked at how much I’m disliking it 🤦‍♀️ I’ve hit skip on so many second time because I’m really not interested.

It’s all a bit, teenage girl in love x 18 songs

Reactions: 4
“Well I like it!” (joey eating the trifle in Friends reference)

I’m actually loving it, been listening to it all day. The Man is great - simple and effective. I don’t think she’s victimising herself at all in that one.

London Boy - so cheesy and great. I suspect that she realises how silly it is. God I love the English will be the scream it at the concert line.

Cornelia St - Lovely, was my fav after first listen. Atmospheric and visual. Classic Taylor.

Those are the ones I’ve listened to most. To me it’s 1989 with more freedom and confidence. So glad it’s a billion times better than reputation.

Last note - thank the lord she took “spelling is fun” out of the song!

I like five out of the eighteen: Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince, Paper Rings, Death By A Thousand Cuts, Soon You’ll Be Better and London Boy (my favourite, probably because I’m from London).

I agree that the album feels a little bit too long. I think 2-4 could be shaved off. Personally, I think her previous albums were a lot better.

Reactions: 1
The tweets calling out “London boy” are better than the entire album combined 🤣

The tweets calling out “London boy” are better than the entire album combined 🤣
I lie!!!
The clap backs from the Stans are so embarrassing it’s hilarious 🤣

Last edited:
Had a listen through on the way to work so its yet to really sink in. The ones that stuck out:

Edit: Added my favourite lyric in bold

The Man - I really like the lyrics on that one, they do sound a bit like shes victimising herself, but being upfront about being an "Alpha Type" it did get me pumped for work. "I'd be like Leo in St Tropez" ooooohhhhh boi the shade. Especially since Blake Lively dated him and they went to St Tropez (I know I'm getting very gossipy).

I like London Boy - its cheesy but has cute references. "But God, I love the Engliiiiisssh"

I forgot that you existed - it's nice it felt relatable. "In my feelings more than Drake, so yeah"

Soon you'll get better - It reminds me of Ronan but it didn't make me tear up like Ronan did, disappointed that the Dixie Chicks didn't have their own part of the song like Brendon Urie (unless I missed simething). " Desperate people find faith, so now I pray to Jesus too"

Miss Americana and The Heartbreak Prince - I knew this was going to be my favourite when I saw the track list for Lover, since King of my Heart was my fav on Rep. Its reminiscent of her older stuff. "You play stupid games, You win stupid prizes"
I think the reason the Dixie chicks didn’t have their own bit in the song is because it’s such a personal song to Taylor. Maybe her mum is a big Dixie chicks fan so she brought them on for that reason. Such a sad song, especially when you have a loved one going through illness.

I think the album has Waay too many filler tracks. I do like cruel summer, cornelia st, miss Americana and the heartbreak prince and I forgot you existed.

Do you think ugly Taylor swift X Stella McCartney merch really isn't selling if they've done a "restock" with it all in stock near the end of the 24 hours?

Do you think ugly Taylor swift X Stella McCartney merch really isn't selling if they've done a "restock" with it all in stock near the end of the 24 hours?
It is atrocious. I can't believe it is just overpriced ugly merch. I was hoping for much more. I have seen a lot of fans online say the same thing.

It is atrocious. I can't believe it is just overpriced ugly merch. I was hoping for much more. I have seen a lot of fans online say the same thing.
Yep, even lots of the people that bought 4 copies of the same album have taken a pass at the merch.

Lover is now her highest rated album on metacritic and I do really like it, with 4 or 5 songs cut.

The man does annoy me a bit and I've strongly agreed with her in the past about how women get called out on writing about ex's. But it just feels so dated and not helpful. How could Taylor swift of got there any quicker? She had a huge amount of freedom to release what she like as a teenager and was winning MTV awards at 17 and a Grammy not long after. She comes from a wealthy family and is genetically very gifted. Not many people can get their dad a buy a chunk of a record label 🤷‍♀️

I enjoyed the live lounge set!
Love a bit of Phil Collins, brilliant song, she sings it well.

Her voice sounded great at Live Lounge. She sings stripped back acoustic so much better than over the top tour performances.
She's improved SO much as a performer since 1989. I've never wanted to see her tour because I always found her performance style cringey and her voice weak. But I think I'd like to see her now. I watched the videos from the live lounge and everything is a lot more toned down. Her vocals on 'Lover' were particularly good.

Reactions: 3

Yel

Really nice set, prefer lover and some of the others live to the studio versions. Her max Martin songs are really over produced, which is ideal for the car radio or played in a shop less so to actually listen to.

Such a shame she released it now, would have done so much better im the autumn but I guess there's commercial reasons behind it

Really nice set, prefer lover and some of the others live to the studio versions. Her max Martin songs are really over produced, which is ideal for the car radio or played in a shop less so to actually listen to.

Such a shame she released it now, would have done so much better im the autumn but I guess there's commercial reasons behind it
My guess is she wants to be considered for the 2020 Grammys instead of 2021. The cut off for eligibility for 2020 got moved to Aug 31st so that's prob why she released it then.

A lot of fans on Tumblr think she's trying to avoid going up against Adele in 2021, which is sensible!

Yel

My guess is she wants to be considered for the 2020 Grammys instead of 2021. The cut off for eligibility for 2020 got moved to Aug 31st so that's prob why she released it then.

A lot of fans on Tumblr think she's trying to avoid going up against Adele in 2021, which is sensible!
That sounds about right. Although didn't she say something about awards not counting after reputation was snubbed by the Grammys ? 😂

That sounds about right. Although didn't she say something about awards not counting after reputation was snubbed by the Grammys ? 😂
Haha, rep didnt deserve a Grammy (though neither did Ariana Sweetener in that pop album category). Though LWYMMD should've won for best video IMO. She didnt play the game with rep though. I remember with 1989 she was doing all sorts of promo and Grammy acousitic sessions for the campaign. She did nothing for rep so I kind of believe it wasnt important to her with that album.

I think lover the song is the one she's pushing for this time.

Acoustic, stripped back Taylor is my FAV. I wish she would release albums of older songs like this. Her voice really has improved so much and is especially beautiful while singing Lover. I get Stevie Nicks vocal vibes especially in The Archer and Holy Ground. I also love that she still has her original band and backup singers from years ago. Her guitarists have been with her from the very beginning, I feel it says a lot about her.

Lover

Holy Ground

The Archer

Can't Stop Loving You (Love that Phil Collins left a comment)

London Boy

You Need To Calm Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEaIRfBZk00

Daylight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IzvWRgBvD0

I enjoyed this interview as an explanation for 2016 (3 years later!). But a couple of things made me 🤦‍♀️

- I know I just said I enjoyed it but the fact that she’s going over 2016 AT ALL again considering how much of this era is based on “step into the daylight and let it go”. She’s not over 2016 and that’s fine but makes a lot of rep and lover seem disingenuous

- The side step of the question about her stoking the stories about who every song is about. She literally did an advert in 2010 for Speak Now saying “this time I’m naming names”. I reeeeeally want her to take accountability for some of that instead of blaming the media for treating her songs like paternity tests.

Now can she never talk about Kanye again?

I enjoyed this interview as an explanation for 2016 (3 years later!). But a couple of things made me 🤦‍♀️

- I know I just said I enjoyed it but the fact that she’s going over 2016 AT ALL again considering how much of this era is based on “step into the daylight and let it go”. She’s not over 2016 and that’s fine but makes a lot of rep and lover seem disingenuous

- The side step of the question about her stoking the stories about who every song is about. She literally did an advert in 2010 for Speak Now saying “this time I’m naming names”. I reeeeeally want her to take accountability for some of that instead of blaming the media for treating her songs like paternity tests.

Now can she never talk about Kanye again?
I find it surprising that she, Taylor Swift, has never had therapy.

In her ELLE 30 things interview, she hinted that she had an eating disorder at one point during the 1989 era, so it makes that revelation even more surprising.

She said she just talks to her mum, which is fine. BUT her mum's cancer has relapsed. She sings in "Soon You'll Get Better": who am I supposed to talk to, what am I supposed to do if there's no you?

I mean, what if something DOES happen to her mum? I fear that she could completely spiral, since she says she doesn't open up to anybody else.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.