Taylor Swift

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find it surprising that she, Taylor Swift, has never had therapy.

In her ELLE 30 things interview, she hinted that she had an eating disorder at one point during the 1989 era, so it makes that revelation even more surprising.

She said she just talks to her mum, which is fine. BUT her mum's cancer has relapsed. She sings in "Soon You'll Get Better": who am I supposed to talk to, what am I supposed to do if there's no you?

I mean, what if something DOES happen to her mum? I fear that she could completely spiral, since she says she doesn't open up to anybody else.
Yep! that part about talking to her mum put the SYGB line into context. I thought she’d have had therapy too but thinking about it she’s so paranoid about her privacy
As a huge Taylor fan... I really don’t like the new album.
Did you like rep? What’s your fav?

Reactions: 1
I loved Rep, and I loved 1989! This seems a bit too... slow? I love Cruel Summer, but The Man and London Boy make me cringe.

Reactions: 2
1989 is my favourite and always will be, along with Red. State of Grace is an amazing opening song.

The opening song for Lover isn't that great as an opener in my opinion. It feels too slow.

I do love the storytelling of some of the songs on this album.

My favs are: Cruel Summer (a ranty bridge like Out of the Woods and Getaway Car)
Cornelia Street (good storytelling)
Death By a Thousand Cuts
Miss Americana (love how she said it is about politics but told the story through the eyes of being in high school. Love the lyric "the whole school is rolling fake dice, you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes" about "fake" news).
Afterglow
Daylight

The only songs I skip are The Archer (boring) and Soon You'll Get Better (too sad).

Acoustic Taylor is my fav and not gonna lie, I am impressed at how she managed to get the second verse out. Her breathing technique must be good. It reminds me of the bridge from The Other Side of The Door.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I agree with the comments on Lover. I don’t like it as much as 1989 or Reputation.

I loved Rep, and I loved 1989! This seems a bit too... slow? I love Cruel Summer, but The Man and London Boy make me cringe.
1989 and fearless are my favs 💓 I can’t get on with rep, it’s just too over produced for me in general and the themes are too repetitive for me to care about. Lover was such a relief (never thought of it as slow but I agree it’s too long). And I love both the songs you find cringe 😅

The only songs I skip are The Archer (boring) and Soon You'll Get Better (too sad).
Yes! The archer is so boring, not track 5 worthy imo. Thanks for the vids btw :)

---

Thought I'd do a track by track - would be interested to hear all of yours!

1. IFYE - Like the sentiment cos it is a great feeling when you realise you havent thought of someone/something for a while that you used to think of all the time. But I dont believe her entirely. I know she described this as a bridge from rep to Lover but I'm not sure it was necessary.

2. CS - I like it but IMO the sessioners over hyped it. It's just kind of what I expect Taylor and Jack to make. I find it hard to love songs when I dont know what they mean. There's certain lines eg the vending machine where Im like...what?

3. Lover - Great song that I think will have longevity. I think it's in with a chance for a Grammy.

4. TM - I LOVE this song and the chorus especially. I agree with the message of it - she would be THE man if a man had as much success as she has + a list of famous gfs. The Leo line is my fav.

5. TA - Boring. The production is so tinny and the song goes nowhere. I like the lyrics so I think it would work with a guitar production maybe.

6 - ITHK - One of my favs! I love how much she sings high in this album. The revving just before the the last chorus is one of my album highlights.

7. MAATHP - I want to like this more than I do. Again I cant love it when I dont get what's going on. I understand a lot of the metaphor but some of it goes over my head. I thought the HP was Joe, but some say it's Trump?! She's described it as finding someone who understands and running away with them, but dont her friends and family understand how bad America's become more than her English bf? I dont know if the metaphor works all the way through.

8. PR - I always forget this song. It's fine and fun but I'm glad she only experiments with this punk rock sound once.

9. CS - My current fav. Love everything about this song, classic Taylor. And I love that it's solo written.

10. DBATC - Loving this more and more. I really like her vocals on this.

11. LB - Such a jam! I know a lot of ppl find it cheesy but I think that's what she was going for. It feels like a song she wrote for all her Brit friends to laugh at. I have an English accent and I sing it with a mockney accent.

12. SYGB - Very sad but I listen to it often simply because it's a great song with nice harmonies.

13. FG - I have to be in the mood to listen to this but I enjoy the sax and her vocals.

14. YNTCD - Better now it's on the album but dont go straight to it. Lyrics are a bit simple for Taylor.

15. Afterglow - A bit of a filler IMO. Probably would cut this if the album had to be shorter.

16. ME! - Nope. Funny that she took out spelling is fun. It's not terrible but Brendon's part is the only part I really like. CS or YNTCD shouldve been the first single.

17. INTHAF - The sessioners did this dirty saying it's worse than ME. It's a good come down and something really different for her. I like it.

18. Daylight - Again it's one where I dont 100% believe what she's saying about letting go. It's a poor man's 'Clean' IMO but I do like it. The background vocals annoy me though.

Overall my ranking now is Fearless/1989 > Lover > Speak Now > Red/rep > TS

Last edited:
1989 and fearless are my favs 💓 I can’t get on with rep, it’s just too over produced for me in general and the themes are too repetitive for me to care about. Lover was such a relief (never thought of it as slow but I agree it’s too long). And I love both the songs you find cringe 😅

Yes! The archer is so boring, not track 5 worthy imo. Thanks for the vids btw :)

---

Thought I'd do a track by track - would be interested to hear all of yours!

1. IFYE - Like the sentiment cos it is a great feeling when you realise you havent thought of someone/something for a while that you used to think of all the time. But I dont believe her entirely. I know she described this as a bridge from rep to Lover but I'm not sure it was necessary.

2. CS - I like it but IMO the sessioners over hyped it. It's just kind of what I expect Taylor and Jack to make. I find it hard to love songs when I dont know what they mean. There's certain lines eg the vending machine where Im like...what?

3. Lover - Great song that I think will have longevity. I think it's in with a chance for a Grammy.

4. TM - I LOVE this song and the chorus especially. I agree with the message of it - she would be THE man if a man had as much success as she has + a list of famous gfs. The Leo line is my fav.

5. TA - Boring. The production is so tinny and the song goes nowhere. I like the lyrics so I think it would work with a guitar production maybe.

6 - ITHK - One of my favs! I love how much she sings high in this album. The revving just before the the last chorus is one of my album highlights.

7. MAATHP - I want to like this more than I do. Again I cant love it when I dont get what's going on. I understand a lot of the metaphor but some of it goes over my head. I thought the HP was Joe, but some say it's Trump?! She's described it as finding someone who understands and running away with them, but dont her friends and family understand how bad America's become more than her English bf? I dont know if the metaphor works all the way through.

8. PR - I always forget this song. It's fine and fun but I'm glad she only experiments with this punk rock sound once.

9. CS - My current fav. Love everything about this song, classic Taylor. And I love that it's solo written.

10. DBATC - Loving this more and more. I really like her vocals on this.

11. LB - Such a jam! I know a lot of ppl find it cheesy but I think that's what she was going for. It feels like a song she wrote for all her Brit friends to laugh at. I have an English accent and I sing it with a mockney accent.

12. SYGB - Very sad but I listen to it often simply because it's a great song with nice harmonies.

13. FG - I have to be in the mood to listen to this but I enjoy the sax and her vocals.

14. YNTCD - Better now it's on the album but dont go straight to it. Lyrics are a bit simple for Taylor.

15. Afterglow - A bit of a filler IMO. Probably would cut this if the album had to be shorter.

16. ME! - Nope. Funny that she took out spelling is fun. It's not terrible but Brendon's part is the only part I really like. CS or YNTCD shouldve been the first single.

17. INTHAF - The sessioners did this dirty saying it's worse than ME. It's a good come down and something really different for her. I like it.

18. Daylight - Again it's one where I dont 100% believe what she's saying about letting go. It's a poor man's 'Clean' IMO but I do like it. The background vocals annoy me though.

Overall my ranking now is Fearless/1989 > Lover > Speak Now > Red/rep > TS
I will come on tomorrow and do my track by track. I loved reading yours.

• Heart
So here is my track by track thoughts...

1. I Forgot That You Existed: I didn't love this at first, it doesn't have the pzaz that an opener track should have. That being said, over the past few weeks, I have been listening to it more. I do like the message behind as I feel it is something that we can all relate to, that relief of "forgetting" someone and it not hurting anymore.

2. Cruel Summer: This sounds like a typical Taylor and Antonoff style of song, like Out of The Woods and Getaway Car, which are two of my favourite songs. I don't understand why this wasn't one of the first singles? It has that rant-style bridge which I LOVE and I love that she used it as an outro as well, like OOTW 1989 tour version. I also don't understand the "vending machine" lyric though.

3. Lover: This is a great song and gives me Speak Now vibes. I love the element of country and the use of the old instruments to make it sound like a wedding band. Her vocals in this, and while singing it live, are sublime and she has clearly worked on them over the years.

4. The Man: This is an anthem. I have seen some people, not like it but I love it. As said above, if Taylor was male, she would be 'THE' man. She said this is a song she had been wanting to write for years. I could see it being used in the 2020 election campaigns. I laughed at the Leo reference as it is so true and something people have said for ages.

5. The Archer: I love the lyrics and the meaning behind it but man, compared to the rest of the album, the beat or lack of is bland. Not worthy of "song five" and I skip it.

6. I Think He Knows: A grower for me. I think the lyrics are a bit meaningless and almost filler but I think we can relate to this level of elation someone gives us. It is a good driving song and I like the delivery of the bridge, especially the "I whisper in the dark" lyric. This beat gives me Prince vibes.

7. Miss Americana: SO good. I saw reviews when the album came out asking why Taylor is singing about high school again but she said it is about US politics. I feel like it is one of the most clever songs on the album. "American glory fading before me." Taylor was known for throwing lavish 4th July parties but since 2016 hasn't, at least publicly. I love the lyric "the whole school is rolling fake dice. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes." To me, that is about Trump and far-right spreading "fake news" and people believing it and voting based on it. A good poltical song without directly mentioning Trump.

8. Paper Rings: A fun song. The melody reminds me of Holy Ground. Although it does seem like the type of song that would be in the background of an early 2000's teen chickflick.

9. Cornelia Street: A beautiful song filled with great storytelling. It reminds me of the Red album, a happy version of All Too Well. "Windows flung right open, autumn air, jacket 'round my shoulders is yours." Ugh, such good imagery. This lived up to my expectations.

10. Death By A Thousand Cuts: One of my favourite songs on the album. I love how smooth her voice is and I love the production. The
"my my my" reminds me of songs from Glee for some reason. I also love the piano throughout. The second verse is so good, I am yet to be able to sing it as fast, haha. It reminds me of the bridge of The Other Side of The Door.

11. London Boy: I was in London when the album came out so this was pretty fun to listen to. I almost get a satirical vibe from it, like Blank Space. I mean, we all know Taylor has never actually been to Hackney. Let's be real. Fun to sing. My favourite lyric is "they say home is where the heart is, but that's not where mine lives." I can relate as I fell for someone who is from overseas. There is a really annoying baby or child screaming sound throughout though. I only hear it with earphones. Anyone else?

12. Soon You'll Get Better: A heartbreaking song about her mum. You can hear the desperation in her voice. One that many people will relate to.

13. False God: Hated this at first but it has grown on me. Love the tune and the beat. The sexiest song on the album. "Religions in your lips, the alter is my hips" ...TAYLOR.

14. YNTCD: Actually fits into the album really well.

15. Afterglow: This is actually one of my favourites. I think it is underrated. I love the drums throughout it and can't wait to hear it live. The production could be so good live. I like that she takes ownership of her issues. "I lived like an island, punished you with silence, went off like sirens, just crying" is one of my fav lyrics. It is quite a vulnerable song.

16. Me: Still fun. She always has a song like this, whether Shake it Off or WANGBT.

17. It's Nice To Have a Friend: Terribly underrated. The sessioners tit on it and it doesn't deserve that. A really sweet song, which I imagine started off as a poem. Love that she used a Toronto school for the background vocals.

18. Daylight: "My love was as cruel as the cities I lived in." Really love that lyric and not sure why. I love how the pace grows when she starts singing "Maybe you ran with the wolves and refused to settle down." That is how I expected The Archer's beat to end up but it never did. A good closer. When she starts singing "daylight" repeatedly, it reminds me of Beyonce's Halo. I like the ending with the spoken word. It sounds like it came from a phone-call. The throwback to the song Red is genius ("I once believed love would be burning red but it's golden"). I hope she is as happy as she makes out.

Overall to me, a WAY BETTER album than Reputation. Rep was too overproduced for me.

My order of fav albums is: 1989, Lover, Red, Speak Now, Rep, TS, Fearless.

Last edited:
  • Heart
15. Afterglow: This is actually one of my favourites. I think it is underrated. I love the drums throughout it and can't wait to hear it live. The production could be so good live. I like that she takes ownership of her issues. "I lived like an island, punished you with silence, went off like sirens, just crying" is one of my fav lyrics. It is quite a vulnerable song.
I meant to say the drums are the best part and it reminds me of KOMH live where she was doing that shoulder shimmy

I meant to say the drums are the best part and it reminds me of KOMH live where she was doing that shoulder shimmy
KOMH live is amazing and I loved the shoulder shimmy. Her and the dancer were great together and I love that he is in the Lover video. I think it says a lot about her character that some of her band members, backup singers and dancers have been around for years.

For those of you that haven't been blessed with the tour version of King of My Heart, this is it.

This is probably the most iconic tour opening I have ever seen

I love this video too. So beautiful!

And I am jealous of people that saw this, haha.

Last edited:
Favourite song of all time!?

Clean, back to December and how you get the girl always come into my head first 😂 there are so many from her old albums I LOVE
but the new album is a big no.
I’ve only listened to it fully once 🤦‍♀️

Clean, back to December and how you get the girl always come into my head first 😂 there are so many from her old albums I LOVE
Oh my god. I don't even know where to start. I used to hate HYGTG but then saw the 1989 tour version and the acoustic grammy version and I love it now. - her grammy museum performances are some of the best.

My top 10 (prob changes) right now is:

1. Fearless / Love Story
2. Mine
3. Dear John
4. Long Live
5. State of Grace
6. The Lucky One
7. I Know Places
8. I Wish You Would
9. How You Get The Girl
10. All Too Well

The whole of 1989 is iconic as far as I am concerned. I think it will be the best album she ever releases. WTNY was an amazing opener. I know people dislike it but it came out at a time I moved countries and was so appropriate.

• Heart
Her new album has actually grown on me. I was majorly disappointed at first, but now I’m enjoying it. Some songs I have to skip but compared to my initial reaction, it is for the most part, enjoyable.

Such a hard question! I dont think I've ever seen anyone say HYGTG is their fav!

I think if I had to choose I'd go for Blank Space just because I love it when she's got that petty attitude in songs. And I think it was the perfect response at the time.

Honourable mentions to...
- White Horse
- All Too Well
- Wildest Dreams
- Enchanted
- You Belong With Me
- Clean

I won't put any Lover songs in my top list just yet but I reckon Cornelia St will end up in there.

• Heart
Ooooh my favourite song ever is Wonderland off 1989 Deluxe. My husband and I endlessly listened to 1989 on our honeymoon and I remember listening to this song on the way home from getting married. It’s just pure lovely perfection.

Also not an Ed Sheehan fan but I love Everything has Changed.

Ooooh my favourite song ever is Wonderland off 1989 Deluxe. My husband and I endlessly listened to 1989 on our honeymoon and I remember listening to this song on the way home from getting married. It’s just pure lovely perfection.

Also not an Ed Sheehan fan but I love Everything has Changed.
Wonderland is so good. Love it acoustic.

When I saw her in Toronto, she sung OOTW

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.