Taylor Swift #45 Loves a Bad Boy (Not a Terrorist Though)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But why do we expect the likes of Taylor Swift and Harry Styles to speak on these issues?! Genuine question.

They are popstars, not world leaders.
Usually, yes I agree but in a sense they are world leaders. People have always listened to celebrities before governments or heads of state. That’s becoming more and more the case as years go on

people listen to Joe Wick, who recently said that diet causes ADHD and all he is is a glorified PE teacher.

I’m not asking her to be a UN ambassador or go to Palestine herself or go on strike. But not publicly acknowledging what is happening in my eyes is unacceptable. She has a team around who can advise and do the ground work for her and all she has to do is speak it, or do what Joe does and link it in her stories.

She doesn’t have to be a world leader to say something.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
But why do we expect the likes of Taylor Swift and Harry Styles to speak on these issues?! Genuine question.

They are popstars, not world leaders.
A) because they have a platform b) because they've used social issues in the past to bolster their careers. Like how queer friendly and against heteronormativity Harry Styles appears to be and he capitalized on that for his tour. Or like it's already been mentioned how Taylor went all in on politics when it suited and affected her and even made a political song but now she either doesn't speak at all or says the bare minimum. So they're okay using these social and political issues when they don't pose any risk to their status, but otherwise they stay quiet.

Taylor's whole Miss Americana era activism was, for me as an American citizen, pretty obviously done for likability and because she was affected by the misogyny during the trial against the radio host. It was also 2018/19 and it was safe to speak against conservatives because most people were terrified of Trump. But where was she when the Alt-right were making her their Aryan princess and she was still trying to court the country music industry? Ah yeah, nowhere.

I'm pretty political myself so I expect everyone to want to be informed and get involved, and when you have someone with a platform of millions staying mum and only speaking up when it's convenient to them, it's disappointing. It doesn't mean I don't like her music or won't support her artistic pursuits but it just highlights that she's a capitalist machine first, an artist second. Artists for millenia have been out there, putting themselves at risk, furthering ideas that weren't to everyone's liking.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Usually, yes I agree but in a sense they are world leaders. People have always listened to celebrities before governments or heads of state. That’s becoming more and more the case as years go on

people listen to Joe Wick, who recently said that diet causes ADHD and all he is is a glorified PE teacher.

I’m not asking her to be a UN ambassador or go to Palestine herself or go on strike. But not publicly acknowledging what is happening in my eyes is unacceptable. She has a team around who can advise and do the ground work for her and all she has to do is speak it, or do what Joe does and link it in her stories.
But it's not their responsibility.

She doesn’t have to be a world leader to say something.
True - but where does it stop? Does she have to comment on EVERYTHING going on worldwide?

If she comments on the situation in Palestine does she also have to address other world issues....poverty, climate change, homelessness, addiction, healthcare, food shortages, gender equality, LGBT+ issues, education, human migration, unemployment, corruption, human rights, population, global health issues, human trafficking

Where does it end?

A) because they have a platform
Should everyone with a platform have to make a statement on the situation in Palestine? Or make their political stances clear?

Reactions: 5
But it's not their responsibility.

True - but where does it stop? Does she have to comment on EVERYTHING going on worldwide?

If she comments on the situation in Palestine does she also have to address other world issues....poverty, climate change, homelessness, addiction, healthcare, food shortages, gender equality, LGBT+ issues, education, human migration, unemployment, corruption, human rights, population, global health issues, human trafficking

Where does it end?
Honestly, why does it have to? You either feel an issue is wrong or not. Yes some things are more complex than others and some issues need way more education than others. But if something is clearly wrong, like genocide then I see “where does it stop?” as a cop out excuse.

I’m not saying you are but I’ve seen it used as an excuse by people who just don’t care and need to have some excuse as to why they don’t acknowledge what’s happening.

We could all do more but we don’t all have her platform.

• Heart
Thank you for posting this 💖 the way I RAN lol as this was the only merch I really wanted from the original drop.
Same! Can't wait, I've never ordered from the store before, and looking back should have used welcome10 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Whatever these celebs do won’t be enough for some people or they get excessive praise. I see how some celebs get praised to the high heavens for posting one line on their insta story - like, really?!

I’d have more respect if they were quietly donating large sums of money. Taylor Swift is not going to galvanise the leaders of the free world into ending a war. I wish she could but she cannot. We need to be hammering down their doors really. I know some people are….

If Taylor posted “free Palestine. I’ve donated to X organisation who are helping children and their families access food, water and medical care. Please raise awareness and share this link.” then she would get ripped to pieces of not doing enough, for showing off about money, for asking average people to do something (even if it’s just raising awareness).

I am not excusing her or anyone, just I can predict how the internet would respond.

Part of me hopes these very very rich celebs are quietly donating money. I am sceptical though!

Reactions: 6
Current obsession is So Long, London. Especially:

And you say I abandoned the ship
But I was going down with it
My white knuckle dying grip
Holding tight to your quiet resentment and
My friends said it isn't right to be scared
Every day of a love affair
Every breath feels like rarest air
When you're not sure if he wants to be there

Urgh. 💔

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Current obsession is So Long, London. Especially:

And you say I abandoned the ship
But I was going down with it
My white knuckle dying grip
Holding tight to your quiet resentment and
My friends said it isn't right to be scared
Every day of a love affair
Every breath feels like rarest air
When you're not sure if he wants to be there

Urgh. 💔
I love the way her voice sounds on this one

probably best vocally album tbf

Reactions: 13

entire top 10 of the billboard charts!! Actually top 14, the graphic just does too 10; Fresh Out The Slammer, loml, The Alchemy and The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived are 11-14

• Heart
Reactions: 13
She won’t speak out many things anymore I don’t think. She becomes the story and will be expected to answer all sorts of questions designed to make her look like a silly clueless pop star. No one knows what she’s supporting privately and I think she’s done enough to show that she’s a decent person (disregarding the jet use and bank balance which is a different matter). My guess is that she’s as outraged as anyone about the situation in Gaza, Ukraine, Haiti, Sudan, Yemen etc etc. The world is a huge complicated mess, she’s not going to solve anything as complicated as Palestine. And yes, it’s complicated in a political sense given the scope of this very longstanding conflict and the powers involved. For what it’s worth I am extremely pro Palestine and their liberation, a ceasefire should have happened so long ago. I am also supportive of Jewish people worldwide. In short, I don’t have any answers and I don’t expect a musician or an actor or an athlete to have any answers either. My god, I wish we lived in a kinder world ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Deuxmoi is doubling down on the special, non legal garden ceremony with an alleged witness that attended. Can't wait for Tree to go absolutely insane.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Deuxmoi is doubling down on the special, non legal garden ceremony with an alleged witness that attended. Can't wait for Tree to go absolutely insane.
Even if it happened at this stage it just needs to be let go IMO… like is anyone that bothered either way anymore? Its like it’s a pride thing for DM I guess but this would have been years ago at this point.

Reactions: 15
Even if it happened at this stage it just needs to be let go IMO… like is anyone that bothered either way anymore? Its like it’s a pride thing for DM I guess but this would have been years ago at this point.
I think it's just that she did a full like recap of the timeline of messages she got, trying to figure out how it all fits with TTPD. I imagine it'll be the last time she talks about it in-depth. The other tea I hadn't heard is that apparently Taylor changed the locks of their London home while he was in Budapest. Which is like... cold AF.

Sorry, I'm bored at work right now (not complaining, work gods! Don't need a big emergency haha) and I'm giving in to my desire to indulge in trash gossip to pass the time 😝

Also I respect DM because she literally admits that Taylor brings in clicks and she's running a business so of course she's going to talk about Taylor.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
I think it's just that she did a full like recap of the timeline of messages she got, trying to figure out how it all fits with TTPD. I imagine it'll be the last time she talks about it in-depth. The other tea I hadn't heard is that apparently Taylor changed the locks of their London home while he was in Budapest. Which is like... cold AF.

Sorry, I'm bored at work right now (not complaining, work gods! Don't need a big emergency haha) and I'm giving in to my desire to indulge in trash gossip to pass the time 😝

Also I respect DM because she literally admits that Taylor brings in clicks and she's running a business so of course she's going to talk about Taylor.
Oh for sure I’m all for her getting her bag and all that but I just think we are never going to know on this one and both of them have moved on.

lock changing is stone cold though I hope that’s not true.

The only thing I actually think was really over the line was the miscarriage stuff, and I think she deserved to be told off for that. Because it’s fucked up to gossip about if it’s not true and even more fucked up if it is imo.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.