Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Folkevermore

VIP Member
View attachment 2888575
oooft, controversial maybe but on the surface I do agree with this! That all her stans want is more gossip and “tea” as opposed to what she’s actually saying. However, I don’t think she helps herself either by making clear links to people either. I’m back and forth, because people did it even for her more “fictional” albums - I did it too admittedly and I stand by “tolerate it” at least being inspired by something she felt while with Joe (I didn’t know it was supposed to be a fictional album when I first heard it!) I don’t think she can win whatever she does, so maybe now she’s like “fuck it, here’s the gossip” as the “I’m having his baby, no I’m not” to me reads like when there were rumours about her getting married in secret etc. idk, what’s everyone’s thoughts?
I don’t think Taylor can blame people for talking about her exes when she not only makes the songs so specific and drops hints as to who they are, but she’s built her whole career on it.
She probably wouldn’t be nearly as successful if her albums weren’t such a huge source of gossip.
And she’s deliberately fed right into it, ever since the Joe Jonas song on fearless

Reactions: 18
Agreed. Having had the weekend to really absorb the many (many!) things she shared on Poets, my overriding feeling is that she needs a good chunk of time off after tour to decompress and come back down to earth. I get the sense she feels more like "Taylor Swift" than just Taylor. But can her ego can handle a break? I'm not sure.

Poets is great in many ways but it is also too long. She believes her own hype.
I think there is a really decent album in TTPD but it's not the 31 song long version. I suspect a lot of people had to do what I did and cut down to their 10 favourite songs. I sorta think that's a massive failing by Taylor and her team. It shouldn't be up to your fans to edit your album down for you.

BlueLou

Chatty Member
Think I’m probably in the minority here but I love The 1975. He is controversial, some of the things he does at his gigs I have to disappear for a toilet break because nah 🤮

I was completely caught off guard when it turned out this album was about him 🤯 As a fan of both I shipped them getting together, but after listening to TTPD I just find it all really sad that it didn’t work out, she clearly really loved him 😞

As for how he’ll react/take it, I don’t think he’ll come out and say anything negative. If anyone’s likely to say anything it’ll be his mother 🙄🤮

Last edited:

OtherMoon

VIP Member
I thought this as well and was like someone would have to have absolutely rock solid self worth (or none at all??) to handle that well.

I’d like to say I wouldn’t date anyone who just came out of a life ruining relationship but then again sometimes I relate a bit too easily to Taylor’s music 😅 (but I’m in therapy for my broken picker at least!!)
---

Exactly this!!!
Either he has an enormous ego or he's thick because how can you listen to that album and compare his songs to the Matty songs, the things she says about Matt compared to her pointing out he's a dumb baller (and she Knows Aristotle...bet Matt does too) and likes to finger her when he's playing GTA with his friends whereas she wants to have Matts babies and build him a planet of people who understands him and be like yeah this is a good Idea. :oops:

• Haha

LittlePea

Chatty Member
I saw a post on Reddit about how there is a bar (not pub) called The Black Dog in Cork, where Matty was playing a show just a few days after they broke up. She recorded the song late June 2023 so that tracks that it could be about the aftermath of Matty rather than Joe. It also talks about "cause tail between your legs you're leaving", and Matty was the one to leave her, not Joe.

Kinda makes sense, the pub in Vauxhall isn't anywhere near North London where Joe lives. I think they're just hinting that they have "a certain blonde regular" to keep the Swifties visiting and spending money!
This is what I think, I think the lyric about The Starting Line is clear it’s a Matty song.

Fully believe the pub is just trying to gain a bit of extra custom/clout and jumping on the bandwagon. I sometimes go there from work, feel a bit icky about going back there now. Shame as they used to do a banging mushroom risotto lol

• Sad

cl16girlie

Chatty Member

Another interesting read of how critics have treated this album, where all reviews are rushed in fear of missing the hype and rather than letting the dust settle then releasing it.
We wouldn’t treat poetry this way. Regardless of whether you think Swift is a modern-day Shakespeare, we shouldn’t treat music this way, either. If you’re a fan of an artist — Taylor Swift or otherwise — do yourself a favor and skip the initial slew of garbage takes, both on social media and in the news. Not only are they a disservice to the artist, they hurt our ability to actually revel in the ambiguity of it all.

Let yourself marinate in the music! Listen to it in the shower. On a long drive. In line to get coffee. While you’re doing dishes. Figure out whether you like it or hate it. After all, that’s what really matters.
Think this ending sums up how I've been feeling. I've not listened since release (death in the family so TTPD is not the vibe) but when I listen again I think I'll understand more of the references that people have pointed out and I'm sure I'll feel differently to my initial opinion.

• Heart

QueenBW

VIP Member
Fortnight is so good isn’t it?!

When Post Malone’s verse kicks in I swear I can feel my soul ascending like the Winnie the Pooh meme

View attachment 2893377
I never thought I'd say this but yes. I'm Winnie the Pooh.
---
I feel so bad for him that she was “settling” for him though, that’s a huge self esteem fuck.
I think if she wasn’t willing to 100% without a ring, the ring itself wouldn’t have made a difference. A couple of years later the novelty would wear off and she still would’ve drifted
I think she really loved him and wanted him but that she's really fucked in the head and she loved him most when he was still unsure at the beginning of the relationship. I think she's the boys in "boys only want love if it's torture." When it's stable, she gets bored, self sabotages, and wanks to the Unwashed.

Merpedy

VIP Member
The Black Dog owner saying that they have a certain blonde regular (not in the context of Taylor) .. could this be about Joe Alwyn? Maybe it’s not a Matty song? Especially with the The Black Dog being a term for depression ?
Icky to be ruining a pub he likes. He can never go there again because of a song and now the pub owner has also suggested this

• Sad

QueenBW

VIP Member
Ok I love the album but I do agree it is not a perfect album and could have 100% used an editor/tougher writing partners than Jack and Aaron for some songs. And I agree that she should really take a long break and do a pre-Rep disappearing after she finishes with Eras and really process all of this, not in order to create an album, but to actually process things. Because TTPD gives me the feeling that she rushed herself through the grief stages (hey, she started the metaphor) in order to write and release TTPD. But she isn't actually healed for all she wants us to believe she is.

The thing is... Will she be able to let herself disappear, considering her all consuming need for attention and validation that's very much untreated? And if she continues in the relationship with Travis, is that even possible? How could she disappear from the public eye when she'll be doing the game appearances? Even if they're not about her career they still feed into her ego and warp her view of reality in a way that I think is obvious is actually harmful to her but also to her music.

grannypants

VIP Member
Thought I'd share an update on my morning... first day back at work following TTPD and the first thing my colleague says to me:
'Do you like the new album? My daughter said all the songs sound the same.'

Okay well sorry to inform you that your daughter has no taste, adios
Sorry to quote myself but this has really pissed me off and I can't stop thinking about it 😂
I just love dancing around my living room to loml and I Hate It Here because they sound exactly like ICDIWABH! 🙃🙃

• Haha

gossipgal21

VIP Member
It is however prompting me to go back to my writing projects because ya know, no better muse than angst 💔 I am truly a tortured artist lol

• Heart

Trixxx

VIP Member
Most pop stars aren’t taking a swipe at their fans through lyrics
Most pop stars don't have fans who are absolute nutcases though. I don't blame her for that part - her fans shouldn't get an opinion on who she dates.

ETA - I do agree with other points though about merch, and even album releases despite loving this album.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
As much as I don’t agree with biting back and the best medicine would have been to not mention them at all, I also don’t really blame her for wanting to make a song about Kim. No matter the circumstances, she edited and posted the video that made Taylor feel like her career was over. Ultimately if you don’t want to ever be called out, don’t do bad things🤷‍♀️
Yeah I don't blame Taylor for still being bitter (i can't imagine how it would of been to be on the receiving end so publicly), but I do think she could carry on her revenge in a more subtle and smart way to have a bit of high ground.

maee

Hot take incoming.
Unfortunately people are going to take things too far but I think T is at liberty to use the psych ward imagery in her art as a reclamation. I don't think it would be a stretch to say she might have spent time in some kind of psychiatric hold/rehab. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that we're lucky she's still here. As I said yesterday, I don't think you can reach her level of fame (at a nearly constant level since she was 16) without being mentally ill. There's so much we are never going to know.
The type of place Taylor would of spent time (if she did) is a world away from the reality of most the do end up in psych wards/rehab, especially for the not rich in the UK (I can only speak for the UK as I've never worked mental health in the USA)

Ingognito.Queen

VIP Member
Funny how it's always the same not-so-'incognito' person who keeps blowing into threads and causing trouble, isn't it? I'm not one of the most regular posters, but I love this thread because there's generally healthy disagreement and lots of balanced discussion of both Taylor and her work.
'Causing trouble?'...'blowing into threads?' What are you on about?! 😂 😂 😂

Wow - I was just giving my opinions...? Surely discussions and differing opinions are the whole point of these forums...

I'm not one of the most regular posters, but I love this thread because there's generally healthy disagreement and lots of balanced discussion of both Taylor and her work.
I am also contributing in a healthy way and encouraging discussion...?
Please don't dictate how the threads go.

Folkevermore

VIP Member
She's just a nasty bitch really isn't she, ironic really, spends her life saying how everyone else has wronged her and how much they suck, but then happily uses a vulnerability like bullying to pick at someone she was with for A FEW FRIGGIN WEEKS. gurl.
The way she acts in relationships really puts me off her as a person. She’s very self centred and it says a lot about her.
I find it weird how we have a whole album about Matty ghosting her, but when she did the same to Tom it was just brushed off by her as a Getaway Car

grannypants

VIP Member
If you view Midnights and TTPD as sister albums then Dear Reader is the prologue to TTPD! That makes the TTPD ‘prologue’ actually an epilogue as she is closing the chapter for good.

Also Midnights being 13 sleepless nights and TTPD opening with Fortnight - the 14th night - is far too clever to not be deliberate imo

• Heart

Wildheart

Anyone else feel sad listening to it imagining how shit it would feel to be in a relationship with someone who was always pining after someone else. I’m in the happiest relationship I’ve ever known so maybe that’s why it’s making me even sadder 😂😂😂😂