Taylor Swift #38 The Tortured Clowns Department

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
something i just remembered reading re ttpd tracklist is the link between the alchemy, smallest man who ever lived (rumplestiltskin spinning straw into gold) and the spinning wheel in the bejeweled music video. dying to hear the album now!

Reactions: 1
do you think taylor has an issue with drinking? I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a drink on holiday but there’s been a significant increase in her getting spotted with alcohol since the pandemic. I can’t help but think about the anti hero music video that seemed to hint she had issues with it
I don't know about problem-problem in the traditional alcohol dependence way we tend to think about it. But she does seem to rely on alcohol a lot as a social lubricant (she was always drunk at the football games and she's been drunk at most award shows since the pandemic). Which might in itself be a problem even if she's not abusing it in terms of quantity. If she's dependent on it to feel comfortable in social settings, then that could be classed as an issue.

Obviously we can't know that just from what we see of her life but just wanted to share because we often think about alcohol problems in terms of quantity consumed and that's not the only type of problem.

That said, if I had to spend days on end alone with Mr. Cool As duck, I'd also need to have a drink at hand the whole time.

Reactions: 16
I don't know about problem-problem in the traditional alcohol dependence way we tend to think about it. But she does seem to rely on alcohol a lot as a social lubricant (she was always drunk at the football games and she's been drunk at most award shows since the pandemic). Which might in itself be a problem even if she's not abusing it in terms of quantity. If she's dependent on it to feel comfortable in social settings, then that could be classed as an issue.

Obviously we can't know that just from what we see of her life but just wanted to share because we often think about alcohol problems in terms of quantity consumed and that's not the only type of problem.

That said, if I had to spend days on end alone with Mr. Cool As duck, I'd also need to have a drink at hand the whole time.
See, I wouldn't say she was necessarily drunk at all of those occasions. Drinking - definitely, lubricated -probably. This could be a cultural difference though (this won't come as a surprise to anyone but Ireland ranks pretty high in the alcohol consumption charts).
---
something i just remembered reading re ttpd tracklist is the link between the alchemy, smallest man who ever lived (rumplestiltskin spinning straw into gold) and the spinning wheel in the bejeweled music video. dying to hear the album now!
I get the alchemy and Rumpelstiltskin/spinning wheel link, but I don't think the smallest man who ever lived is gonna be about the same thing. You could be onto something but I suspect it might be another diss track about someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Girlies I just returned to the hotel from the bleachers concert and I’m afraid they are incredible.
I also wanted to try my ear plugs the experience ones and had to take them out because the sound was too pure and too bass-ey for me :( rip my eardrums

• Heart
Reactions: 9
See, I wouldn't say she was necessarily drunk at all of those occasions. Drinking - definitely, lubricated -probably. This could be a cultural difference though (this won't come as a surprise to anyone but Ireland ranks pretty high in the alcohol consumption charts).
I'm purely going off how controlled she normally is in public, so image conscious, and how she was acting and also comparing to those rare videos when she was properly drunk from like Lover era I want to say.

I'd say at the games she was veering towards drunk (at least I hope she wouldn't do the cringe handshake sober) and at the award shows she was tipsy as we'd say in the States. Or "happy" as we'd say in Mexico, quotation marks and using the English word included 😁

* Me rail: I'm Mexican, Italian, Spanish, Basque and grew up in America and Germany and studied in England like a proper mutt third culture child so I like to think I'm not a prude when it comes to alcohol use and I enjoy a glass, or three, of wine or a few cocktails as much as the next girl. But I've also gotten lots of addiction training for work so I guess I'm also kind of hyper alert and see red flags when maybe it's just a one off.

Maybe it was just that we didn't see her out and about as often basically ever before this but it is kind of strange how alcohol has been involved in like 80% of the outings we've seen of her in the past year.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
She definitely has a problem with controlling how much she drinks. Stories from years ago of her being wasted at parties

She also suggested she was an alcoholic during the lockdown. It seems to have been a common issue for many but her behaviour at award shows with clearly being wasted would suggest that it’s still a problem imo 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 8
the woman works so hard and as far as we know, doesn’t drink when she doesn’t have a break between shows, which means she’s going quite long periods of time without drinking. The award shows, football games and this holiday are what she chooses to do when she does have a break so I honestly don’t blame her for wanting to drink at those events.
I guess it’s like how a lot of brits (not saying it’s just a British/UK thing) have a wine on a Friday night to celebrate the week being over. I really don’t think it’s that deep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
@ellobird - I didn't get to see your post before the last thread closed, but sending love. It's so tit. I've felt tit all week. Taylor still doing a lot of work soothing my angst 😂
Thank you, sorry I dip in and out of these threads I’ve only just seen your message! Hope you’re okay too!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
the woman works so hard and as far as we know, doesn’t drink when she doesn’t have a break between shows, which means she’s going quite long periods of time without drinking. The award shows, football games and this holiday are what she chooses to do when she does have a break so I honestly don’t blame her for wanting to drink at those events.
I guess it’s like how a lot of brits (not saying it’s just a British/UK thing) have a wine on a Friday night to celebrate the week being over. I really don’t think it’s that deep.
Me neither - she’s just living her life as normal as possible and having a drink on holiday or a football game is normal. No need to go deep on every action or thing Taylor does!

Reactions: 18
Taylor said in her Person of the Year interview that she doesn't drink while she's touring. I know her public image is carefully maintained but I don't see any reason to not believe her about this. The tour is so physically demanding that you wouldn't wanna do it the day after a few cocktails would you? I really can't blame her for letting her hair down when she has a break. I don't think she ever appears wasted anyway. I'm not there though so could be totally wrong 😂

I think the comments about alcoholism in lockdown are facetious. She reminds me of the "wine mum" stereotype in the way that she mentions drinking as a way to seem relatable and fun. I know everyone handles things differently but in my (sadly quite extensive) experience people who have admitted to a struggle with alcohol don't talk about it in that "oh isn't it quirky" kind of way that Taylor does.

Reactions: 15
Re Taylor drinking, I don’t view it as strange because she’s drinking at events I would drink at I guess. Parties, award shows (the ones I have been to for work are not quite the Grammys tho haha) and holidays.

However I do see a lot of Americans on Twitter acting like she needs to be in AA soooo I do think it’s cultural thing. We have much more of a drink culture over here but I would view her as a social binge drinker like most people I know.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I know everyone handles things differently but in my (sadly quite extensive) experience people who have admitted to a struggle with alcohol don't talk about it in that "oh isn't it quirky" kind of way that Taylor does.
I think it very much depends. Some people don’t realise it’s an actual issue that they need to do something about because they function fairly well, so it is just being a bit quirky for them when in reality there’s some cause for concern

I considerably upped my drinking at one stage during lockdown too, but partly because it was something to do and I was never having to go anywhere bar rolling out of bed at 8:59 to start working from home. I remember mentioning it in passing to a friend that I had been having midweek pink gins and she got all concerned. In reality I had gone from having 1 drink per month to 3 (unfinished) drinks per week (for about 2 weeks).

I actually always took This is me trying to be entirely about her career and relationship with her fans. Rep was her dark time and she didn't know if her fans would ever return but the tour was such a success. Lover didn't get the reception she was expecting/wanting (mostly because of me!) . Folklore was the album I desperately wanted lover to be and that I knew she had in her. And so her trying was a departure from that type of album. I don't think she meant "I got wasted like all my potential" to actually mean drunk. I think it was just she allowed her career to get destroyed, but she didn't go off the rails (pour the whiskey). So many famous people have gone off the rails when something bad happens. Britney, Amanda Bynes, Demi Lovato, Lindsey Lohan etc etc etc

I think it very much depends. Some people don’t realise it’s an actual issue that they need to do something about because they function fairly well, so it is just being a bit quirky for them when in reality there’s some cause for concern
Yeah that's why I specified that I meant people who've admitted it was an issue. I probably still could have worded it better tbf.

Aviva (Dublin N1). Might actually be there for a football match before that, so might be able to suss it out, but obviously Taylor's team might have their own rules.
I have a season ticket for Ireland’s football team and my wife brings a small handbag to every game. They check bags on the way in.

I would look out for specific advice from Ticketmaster in the week of the concert though.

Reactions: 2
I just saw a photo of Taylor picking a wedgie and it’s enough to confirm for me that those Bahamas photos were not staged lol. Maybe she should consider other holiday destinations/resorts.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I have a season ticket for Ireland’s football team and my wife brings a small handbag to every game. They check bags on the way in.

I would look out for specific advice from Ticketmaster in the week of the concert though.
I went to Melbourne N1. Taylor's management specified what you could and couldn't bring into the stadium. You could bring in one bag only - couldn't be larger than an A4 piece of paper (35cm tall, 20cm deep, 30cm wide) with a maximum of two compartments - but it didn't have to be clear. I assume that your bag had to be clear in the US so that you could see if people were bringing guns into the venue. Also, we couldn't bring food in, and could only bring in a 600ml clear water bottle. If you were sitting on the floor like we were, you couldn't bring bottles in but we were given cups and there were water stands for refills etc. If you bought merch on the day at the stadium you could bring that in with you but only in the carry bag from the merch stand. My guess is that the rules will be pretty similar for Europe.

Interestingly re: drinking but could be completely not connected of course Jack said last night, mentioning how on his last Glasgow gig only 9 people showed up, he said “that’s why some people who got super big at 14 are struggling. Because if you’re big at 14 and then you have a million people show up for you then what is there after?”

it’s obviously an approximation to what he said but I found it very interesting he’d say “struggling” clearly alluding to Taylor because on paper she’s doing just fine

My brain is just frazzled and obviously it’s a stretch but it made me a double take last night coming home

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.