Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

oshare

VIP Member
Is it normal for hair to be such a strong part of people's identity?

This is a genuine question; I'm Autistic and hair is a bunch of mostly-dead cells that occasionally become inconvenient and need to be clipped short again. Like fingernails. It seems genuinely bizarre to me that someone would think hair is "who they are" or somehow represents their identity. But does it? Is that how people actually think?
For most people yes!
I think it has mostly to do with confidence. I used to have really beautiful, thick and long hair. I'm not trying to brag but I had such beautiful hair and I didn't have to do much either, basically just washing and brushing and it looked super healthy and during summer I had kinds of shades of blond and light red. In a way it was a big part of me. I always had really bad body image, from young age, but that was something I liked about myself .. always. I took pride in it and it gave me something about my outer appearance to be happy about. I got bullied a lot growing up, but my hair was never subject of it. If anything people would often say they wish they had my hair and it made me feel better about myself. So I started associating my hair with something very positive, something to take pride in, something to like. Something I had that people wouldn't shame me for etc. In a way it represented a lot for me in ways I can't really describe well in English. Then, when I got ill many years ago I got really really stressed about it and the shock of my illness and the diagnose caused me basically lose most of my hair. It shedded and shedded and I had a few baldish spots (was able to cover them up a bit but I noticed). There I was, ill and feeling awful mentally.. I lost my health, and then something that I always had that was "mine" something that was almost untouched (?) in a way, I lost it! I felt so much shame! I didn't dare leaving the house without a cap. I lost so much of my confidence! It felt like I lost a huge part of myself! It's really awful when something that happens on the inside starts to show on the outside. I was devastated. I couldn't stop crying about it. I was so afraid people would start to get mean to me, or comment on it, that people would tell me I looked awful, that people would gossip about it... ask about it.
I think for a lot of people it represents something like that, too. Like pride, confidence.
Now years later my hair is still not back, it's better than it was back then but I have accepted by now that I will never get my old hair back and through a lot of therapy I have come to accept it in a way and I try not to think about it too much. I now just do my best to take good care of it (and myself) and hope for the best. Now i'm just happy it's healthy and grows well and even though it's not thick and a lot anymore it doesn't look too bad either.
I think for a lot of people hair is very important in a confidence and pride but also for identity. A certain haircut can make people feel a certain way or it matches a certain style they like or feel like it suits them or something that they feel comfortable with! When you lose that, you can really lose a lot of your identity and part of who you are because your outer appearance doesn't match anymore with your personality - for a lot of people this is very confusing and can cause a lot of mental issues.
(with therapy those can definitely be addressed though and get better, but that is a learning process that takes a long time)

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Cloak

VIP Member
Why ANYONE would pay someone like her for a fucking newsletter is beyond me. Substack started as an interesting place for diverse thought and opinion, not Tanya bloody Burr waffling on about what amazing croissant she’s eaten lately or what shitty boots she’s buying. My god. People literally pay to be advertised to now? What the fuck

• Heart
  • Sick

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Hope nobody replies to this - how arrogant requesting 'interesting questions only'.
I presume she means things like 'how are you such an amazing mum?' rather than 'where's Martha?' or 'why did Authored fail?'

Screenshot_20240227_113613.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow

Dreier89

I'm younger than Tanya. Elements of what she is wearing are in fashion - the shoes, the jacket - but to me she just seems like a millennial trying to be young and cool. I thought this about Zoe recently too. They're both trying to follow fashions, but not doing it very well. So now they both look like try-hard millennials.
Being the same age as Tan, I feel a bit victimized by this comment 😂😂😂

• Haha

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Her poor hair! ☹ someone needs to kindly tell her to stop bleaching

Wow that is not flattering 😬
Her hair is so thin and wispy. She should have had a least 2 inches trimmed off those ends.
Hard to remember when her hair was so thick and glossy - not even that long ago tbh.

• Sick
Reactions: 24

xits_jjx

VIP Member
I saw a tiktok of Jim talking about the divorce and the cheating thing, like, say what you want about Tanya but at least she isn’t still talking about her ex all these years later. Like, granted it could be because she wasn’t innocent in the split but Jim and his wife are coming across obsessed with her and like they can’t move on. If someone brought up my ex now I’m married with children I’d simply say: “why are we still talking about my ex? We’re all moved on. Next topic!”

Reactions: 24

QueenBW

VIP Member
I'm sorry but she did a paid ad like this. She recommended beauty products looking like this.

She's got the work ethic of a drunken baboon.

She looks greasy and frizzy and unkempt.
Screenshot_20240218_080658_Instagram~2.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

nottouraverageuser

I have no patience for influencers today. “Always love a long sleeved top and jeans” so do most people who experience cold weather?! What even is that generic ass statement. She gets paid for posting this kind of drivel.
To be fair to Tanya, had I not read these wonderful words of wisdom this morning, I would have headed out in my bikini 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Victoria212

I know Instagram is all smoke and mirrors and she's probably got lots of help, but Tanya makes it seem like her life hasn't changed one bit since having a baby!

She seems to have loads of time to read/potter around the shops/go on date nights etc. And she's always showing her cosy evenings in with a movie, home-cooked dinner and glass of wine or lazy mornings with a cup of tea - where is Sage when she's chilling??

He must be a very good sleeper! My two year old fights going to bed and still wakes up at night quite a bit. Wouldn't change it for the world as I adore being a mother - but my goodness I certainly don't have the amount of "me time" Tanya appears to have and I am permanently sleep-deprived and frazzled!

• Heart

MarthaFarkus

VIP Member
Is he treating his new wife the same o_O
He often does that ‘I’m far superior to you’ thing that he did with Tanya but Sarah seems to idolise him for some reason. I just get bad vibes about him, it doesn’t seem like he takes her thoughts and feelings into consideration at all.

Sibyl Vane

VIP Member
I really only posted the worst offenders and have attached a couple more exact copies (Tanya only got the Doen vest because the cardigan was sold out on Net-a-Porter - I loved it so much on Lucy that I checked when I saw her post it). There's just so much when you start to look and it's quite noticable when you follow both because it's quite a quirky style.
---

I had no idea she had done this before!! It's such odd behaviour and it just falls short of the original influencer every time.
Copying is TanTan's trademark.
She is used to it from day one on youtube, amirite Pixi2woo, named after her SIL's youtube channel? Couldn't even come up with an original moniker, so a wardrobe would be too much work for our working class bobble head from Norwich. Besides, she doesn't have a clue about style, colours, shapes...

• Haha

really_whythough

Chatty Member
I did a tiny bit of work as an outside supplier for something Authored adjacent. Was told there was ‘barely any budget’… Not great look launching a business coming from a very successful independent career…

• Wow

mg95

VIP Member
She finally posted the Instagram Q&A. Cliffs notes - she talked about acting and acknowledged her IMDb is nothing impressive but she has become too busy being a mother to go back to it. She'd like to produce/direct a short film related to mental health/social media. She also wants to start some kind of charity/initiative for kids in that realm. She also admitted to being awful with hair care. All in all she kind of just admitted she has nothing going on.

• Haha

littlepup

VIP Member
The Confidence era was wild 😂😂😂 the script, her acting, pretending it was sold out, the weird relationship with that Rhys guy...
I wonder at what point her and Jim’s relationship started breaking down? I feel like a lot of what came after was her rebelling against him/being trapped by it all. Kicking off at the backlash. The Rhys stuff, hair change, smoking and drinking, weight loss. She had a bit of a break down I think. All the breaking free of YouTube was intertwined with breaking free from Jim and the sickly sweet, ditsy act, his “Hi best friends” thing. She wasn’t happy to be owned by her fans, agent and Jim anymore.
If you look at her friends they were maturing, living their dreams and becoming successful without having to sell out or owe anything to fans while she was trapped in the wifey, wholesome, good girl role expected to be the person she wa at 21.
I don’t think she’d have ever gone so far from who she was if she hadn’t felt so trapped by it and Jim was a big part of that.

Reactions: 22

littlepup

VIP Member
People have moved on I think. Look at Jim desperately trying to cling to relevance when he has none. It was OK when they had a semi in Norwich then people were so pleasde for them to be doing well but now it's just living in mansions and getting free shit while contributing nothing but maybe how to style out of reach clothes or make food with Waitrose ingredients.

Reactions: 22