Sunbeamsjess #3 Too busy to come up with a thread name

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People will only pay for that for a month or two (unless they're actually stupid) before they catch on and realise it isn't worth it.
Of course even only doing it once shows you have more money than sense....

Reactions: 6
I think part of the issue was she always sort of downplayed her family's wealth and tried to act relatable, so people felt betrayed by these random reminders of how rich she really is. Like she talked about food at uni as if she were a broke student, then went home and got $1000 boots for Christmas as just ONE of dozens of lavish gifts.

I think if she just went full luxury vlogger she could lose some followers, but would also gain new ones. On the other hand she still desperately wants to be some badass goth/punk chick with all her tattoos, piercings, and preferring Zak's giant black tees over any of the designer pieces in her wardrobe. So it's possible she'd struggle at either thing, but also possible she'd find a niche she really excelled in if she were just openly true to herself.
That's a good point actually, and annoyingly she still does it to this day!

Reactions: 3
That's a good point actually, and annoyingly she still does it to this day!
Exactly, like I could believe mayyyybe when she was a student and when YT platforms didn't really pay much besides free product, she genuinely was sort of on a budget. But now she's undeniably extremely wealthy and I think she should just lean into that, not talk about how it's sooooo expensive and she haaaaad to wait for payday, then blow $5k on a computer she *needs* because her laptop is a bit slow.

Reactions: 3
So I see she’s got 106 patrons already, giving her about £600 a month.

It really grates on me that she’s said “I don’t know why I didn’t think of making a space like this for us sooner”. She doesn’t even reply to her bleeping YouTube comments. If she genuinely wanted to interact with her viewers, that’s the place she would start. Clearly she will only interact with her viewers if they are directly paying her to do so (completely ignoring the fact that her viewers watching her videos actually indirectly pays her anyway through AdSense and any sponsorship she gets off the back of her popularity, and comments on her videos help her engagement).

She’s really pissed me off with all of this Patreon stuff, I was hoping she would see how disgustingly embarrassing it was and drop it before it was launched (like every other project she attempts…) but she hasn’t and I’m unfollowing her on all platforms, I refuse to support this over-privileged greedy scrounger.

• Wow
Reactions: 31
I watch someone who gets about 8,000 AUD a quarter year from patreon just from charging 2 dollars a month for complete access, and gives the money to different women’s charities each time because she already makes plenty of money from her full time job and side jobs. I can’t imagine Jess gives a single life and penny to charity. She is unbelievably greedy and selfish.

Reactions: 17
As sad as this is, thats the whole point, thats why patreon was creeated, so creatives could focus on creating and get money on the side
Absolutely. Patreon, at least what I think of it, is people who have a creative outlet enjoyed by others and don't have a means of revenue from said content. That's not Jess though.

I can't quite get over how delusional she is.

And like the person above said, if it really was a case of limiting who can access and engage with her content and really weed out any trolls then she would donate it to charity.

Reactions: 13
Honestly her explanations made it worse. The whole creating a safe space, the world is a bit lonely, support my family. People can just join Reddit book clubs for free or forums like this. Why would you, as a wealthy individual in the top 1%, take advantage of that loneliness from people who’ve supported you for years by charging them to join a discord?

• Heart
Reactions: 31
It’s shady and pathetic that she’s announcing Patreon as her way to ‘support her little family’. Her family is supported and everything else is side money. £600 is pittance, that would barely get her a pair of shoes. Even if she ever manages to average 3-4K a month (which I doubt, her Patrons will drop) that’s still just a few pieces of jewellery and a tattoo to her.

Bottom line: nothing she makes from Patreon will go towards ‘supporting’ her family unless it’s spent on furniture, designer nappy bags or Air BnBs in Edinburgh.

Reactions: 28
As sad as this is, thats the whole point, thats why patreon was creeated, so creatives could focus on creating and get money on the side
i actually think Patreon should police who is using their site to raise money more.. It's not the principle I object to but the practice... People like Jen Campbell and Simon Savidge who have multiple multiple streams of income , regular paid jobs etc etc should not be allowed to use Patreon as a form of pocket money on top of their normal paying jobs becuase lets face it these folks are not struggling artists

Reactions: 5
I don't understand people who don't make the lowest tier $1 on Patreon. If the point is to "build a community" and but make as much money as possible, just make the smallest possible barrier to entry. And actually you might make more because for every one person willing to pay $5 a month there are probably several willing to pay $1.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Gotta love Jess side-eyeing the accessibility of the Booker longlist (which is admittedly true - the constant videos are wearing), whilst hiding her own book discussions behind a paywall!

Reactions: 14
Honestly her explanations made it worse. The whole creating a safe space, the world is a bit lonely, support my family. People can just join Reddit book clubs for free or forums like this. Why would you, as a wealthy individual in the top 1%, take advantage of that loneliness from people who’ve supported you for years by charging them to join a discord?
100% agree. Why is she weaponising social justice language e.g. “Safe space” in order to manipulate ppl into giving her money? What does she need to be safe from??? Ugh this whole “I wanna build a community” is so disingenuous and actually really quite insidious. What kind of desirable community is built on the foundations of one person financially profiting from others in the name of intimacy, especially when that person is rich beyond words and hasn’t interacted with her audience within the last decade.

Also agree it adds another dimension of icky-ness when she suggests this income is necessary in supporting her family when we all know it is the equivalent of ONE luxury fashion item purchase to her. Ugh, it really gets to me. In a cost-of-living crisis as well lmao. It’s like girlie you’re just back from a three month trip dropping 3 grand a night on a hotel - all the while doing a multi-million pound reno on ur multi-million property. Shes probably been on more holidays than we all have collectively. Why do you not think we have eyes Jess lmao

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Coming up to £700 now… I think I’m seeing a glimpse into the huge amounts of money these ‘influencers’ (hate that term - not sure she is one either by lack of engagement) must make… for what?

I really enjoyed Jessie’s old content and since every now and again will check in to her Instagram to see what she’s been up to and I haven’t seen anything really of note. I do feel the world of literature is already dominated by very privileged white people too so I’m still not happy she somehow got a column. Again, for what? How? Why her? ££££££ and recycling other people’s goodreads reviews? We know it’s not for heracademic qualifications since she’s marketed as a YouTuber on the column site.

Meh, she has no redeeming qualities for me now after the patreon. She’s clearly picked up the idea after the success of the live zoom book club discussion she was invited to attend by another influencer and since has felt she ought to be paid for her content. Same thing happened with the lookbooks and beauty - all her great and genuine posts stopped when she started getting paid for them and that just led into unauthentic sponsorship overload on her channel and grumpy rants about how the hate she gets is because she’s a woman getting paid. 🙄 best of luck to her but can’t see how it’ll all be long lasting. I reckon she’ll want to build up a following in the literature community to release a book at some point.

Reactions: 12
It’s like girlie you’re just back from a three month trip dropping 3 grand a night on a hotel - all the while doing a multi-million pound reno on ur multi-million property.
This!! 💯

I am so shocked she had managed to get so many people already... how?! What are the reasonings of these people??

I'm sad not to see any comments calling her out for it, was hoping there would be some 🤣 though maybe she's been deleting.

I did see someone asked how can she manage to read so much with a small child, with the poster saying they struggle to with theirs. Jess literally has nothing else to do and loads of help. I hate that people may be watching thinking why can't they be as productive etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
I did see someone asked how can she manage to read so much with a small child, with the poster saying they struggle to with theirs. Jess literally has nothing else to do and loads of help. I hate that people may be watching thinking why can't they be as productive etc.

I honestly think she sees reading as her JoB. I wonder what her partner is doing, he surely has his own thing going on now?

Reactions: 7
I honestly think she sees reading as her JoB. I wonder what her partner is doing, he surely has his own thing going on now?
But as she is getting paid for it, reading is part of her job. So is going for nice lunches and getting her nails done essentially. Rich people getting richer and as viewers we helped create influencer culture. That's why I'm trying to avoid influencers going forward but it's hard because I love the escapism part of it. I just no longer want to support it all. Sigh.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.