Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Smca53

VIP Member
I didn’t see any spectacular food, but also nothing awful? On the menu, you mean?
Yeah I always pause these things to read the menus 🤣 And I’m just looking at it like wtf… and the stuff she did show didn’t look great

Maybe I’m an uncultured swine😂

Reactions: 1

BigBerry

It would be less jarring if she had a more consistent upload schedule. Her videos tend to follow the pattern of "book wrap up" to "vlog with an ad segment" again and again, to the point where it starts to feel like all her videos are ads and it can be exasperating for people.
Yeah, she's done this pattern for years now. And it feels like her channel is devoid of any creativity with no new content to make really. I was surprised by her willingness to do a Q&A on pregnanncy.

Lola123

VIP Member
I would imagine it was her GCSEs as she's only like 16/17 at the moment going by this video
I’m pretty sure it was too, otherwise Jess would have mentioned her going to uni! Whilst I’m not saying everyone goes to uni, I do feel Indie will go down that route too. I’m sure she’s behind on filming but I’m 100% sure Jess would have mentioned indie moving out because I’m sure Zak would have actually been forced to drive her 🤣🤣

• Haha

doodlebug

VIP Member
I think on an English degree it's quite common to only have female friends as more women do the degree. On my course (not at Edinburgh but it was in Scotland) there were 9 boys and about 60 girls. Not sure about her school friends, think they were all female too which I don't have an explanation for. Did she go to an all girls school?
She did go to an all girls school, yes. That’s a good point about the boy-girl ratio on an English Lit course but didn’t she make any friends outside of her course?

Anne1448

VIP Member
Sorry for the double post - I'm sick and watching her old vlogs - but she and Zak are so codependent? I never noticed it before because I wasn't a regular viewer. All she does all day is read, watch movies and have beauty appointments. Then the 'task' of the day is attending a pilates class (which Zak drives her to and from), or accompanying Zak to an eye test!! What!

They make a huge deal about travelling and spending multiple days to do photoshoots for her IG. Sorry but she only has 150k and gets 10-50 comments per post. Why does it take so much effort?

I am asking myself the same question.

At first I thought that she may be struggling to adjust like any job. However after a year she should have some organisation or system in place. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing less content as long as it is better or with real information in it.

Mucha

I'm not going to lie I'm watching the vlog and it seems like she's got a bit of life and purpose back in her. She seems busy again and having stuff to do seems to be really beneficial to her. I agree with the person that said having some sort of structure would benefit her.
Totally agree!

Rosie2019

What do people think about the way she pronounced the name? Seems they are saying In-ez with the n sound in the first syllable and a hard end, which it not how others do. I know there are often different ways to say a name and it's not a bad thing. Just found it interesting. A lot were saying they thought it would be E-nes with a soft end.

midsummer1

Considering Jess’ parents, who are lawyers, probably contributed quite a lot, I doubt half the house will be his. I’m sure they’ve got that covered legally.
Who do you think contributed more, Jess or her parents? Maybe the parents bought it and Jess is funding renovations?
And does anyone think Zak put in some money too? I honestly wonder how that worked.

jjeett

Chatty Member
Haven't watched it yet but the irony of her saying she hasn't been winding back yet on Instagram to then have a vlog thumbnail with 'shopping for snacks' on

puresoul

^or that. Just the way she worded the caption made it seem like it’s a recent one, but could be old yeah, you never know with these things.

eliza123

She's old money? I thought her grandparents were just sort of middle-class (you can see their house in numerous of her videos), and it's her mother, stepfather, and father who are very well off? She's never mentioned investing that I know of? Thought she likely just had a trust fund. Pretty sure her parents helped her buy her house, as well, and she's still living in her mother's home - and will be for at least another year or more.
Yes, she is new money. Her parents had her at a young age. Her mother worked hard to become a lawyer but she was middle class.

This explains why she is more relaxed with Jess. Generally when your family has money for generations they don't give it to you while you do nothing. You are expected to make your own.
Where is this information from? I'm not trying to sound rude in my posts I'm just genuinely wondering as I assumed she was old money due to her accent, living in London, her education. My family are new money and we don't live the way Jess' do, doctor's and lawyers earn a lot especially in London but just because her parents had her young doesn't mean one of them at least didn't come from money. Most people I know who are old money don't make their kids get jobs - normally the ones who are old money but still struggled do. And I don't think she would mention investments; it's normally something that's done through a financial advisor when your wealth is inherited, like as is when people win the lottery or own lots of property and as has been mentioned before she's very private about certain things.

RE the job, I'm not saying she puts max effort into content creation I'm just saying she'll still be earning a considerable amount from what she does do and it is considered a career whether or not we agree with it/think she's great at it we're still consuming her content. I agree that the question was hypothetical but she doesn't live in the world we do so can just fly away with these ideas like when she mentioned sitting her science a levels (she never will and it would cost her over 1500) just because she likes reading basic scientific theory. Her dad mentioning about getting a job was also probably for routine and structural purposes - it definitely wouldn't be for finance related reasons and he might not see influencing as a career/thinks it's not structured enough for her. I don't think she'd have mentioned it if it was him seriously telling her she needs to get a real job; she's spoiled by both her parents anyway.

I don't know her personally obviously this is all my own assumptions and I don't think I'm as perceptive as some of you on here but I just can't see her living off her mum's lawyer wage - nor can I see her mum as a young pregnant woman from a modest background breaking into a magic circle firm and earning enough to live in that swanky Islington house. Idk tho.

Does anybody have any booktuber recommendations who read as widely as jess? I’ve tried noelle gallagher but i was just wondering if anyone knows of others who post more frequently than jess 😭
I really enjoy Claire Reads Books, she has a really soothing voice (lol I just love that) and I find her reviews are more in depth and I feel like with what she reads it's a wide variety (she reads romance which I'm not into but I am considering reading some of her suggestions because she is thorough with her reviews). The only thing is she doesn't post that frequently as a lot of booktubers do, but she tends to do monthly/seasonal reviews. The Artisan Geek is another good, one she posts frequently and reads a wide range of books. I enjoy her reviews too because she's very in depth about her reviews and doesn't just read the blurb and give vague reviews.

jjeett

Chatty Member
Given the writer of that article is all about protecting influencers, I think it's weird that she's shared Jessie's surname. I know you can seek it out if you try but I always think Jess goes to quite some length to keep it private.
Yeah that seems weird..

Wouldn’t her funding some sort of small indie publisher or something make sense anyway?

I’m sure she could be involved in setting one up for the type of obscure books she reads, don’t know how hands on she would have to be if she was able to bring her following / massive income and partner with someone who has the actual experience and drive? More the vibe of molly mae being creative director at PLT like obviously there wouldn’t be much or any practical involvement

Makes as much sense as other youtubers creating clothing and stationery companies etc , she isn’t talking about creating the next bloomsbury lol but it would be interesting to see her setting up some sort of niche historical fiction or sci fi publisher , she is a pretty sizeable youtuber after all , and I don’t think she would expect to enter into it the industry directly into an editorial role she’s not deluded

Anyway all this speculation over what is probably a throwaway comment
This is actually fair! She probably sees it more as a philanthropic thing rather than working in the office day-to-day. This is definitely something I could see her doing.

puresoul